Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• Talked to the dealer yesterday about the bluetooh and at the moment it's a dealer installed option but does work through the car audio system. he is getting me some details for me today. He says something is mounted above the drivers sunvisor. i'll bet it's the microphone. i'll let you know when he gets me the info.

Mike
  • The keyless entry/ignition feature on the 2008 CTS is one of the nicer options and I have a hard time believing anyone could have any serious fault with it. Is the complaint that Caddy used a "switch" that you turn rather than a button that you push? It's the same natural and traditional motion we have all been executing for years without having to take the key out of your pocket and physically place it in the ignition.
    The key fob that accompanies the keyless entry/ignition is sleek looking and feels solid. I was very impressed. The remote start is an added bonus. This is a feature that should be put into the "positive" category.
  • It is the microphone. If you sit in other Bluetooth enabled Cadillacs (like the Escalade), you'll notice the microphone just above your head to the left of the sun visor. At some point I would expect this to get integrated into the factory process. The dealer installed bit is probably so that early adopters wouldn't completely have a proverbial cow about no Bluetooth at all.
  • #1366 of 1373 website by 1487 Sep 18, 2007 (5:55 pm)
    They have updated CTS site on caddy.com.

I dont see the big deal with bluetooth and would not base a car buying decision on that at all. It is offered with many other cars but typically only if you get navigation which means that many luxury cars do have bluetooth. I dont talk on the phone enough while driving to make it worthwhile. Besides, with BT headsets around I dont see why you need handsfree calling in your car too.

It sounds like many of you are not going to get the car for a few reasons that I consider minor. Perhaps the CTS isnt for you.

As for the keyless start, the CTS has the same type of system that Infinti and Acura use. I wouldnt say its outdated by any means. Just because it doesnt have a pushbutton doesnt mean its not advanced. Last time I checked the competition does not offer remote start with keyless go.

=====================================================

This is the thing. I am not sure half the opposition to the car is well-informed. The press has just raved and raved over this car.

"Cheap" sunroof? "Excess heat"?

I have not read any indication that any of the people here have experienced the car's AC being unable to handle the "excess heat". It's just a wild extrapolation.

This car may not be "the car of the ages", but it is a no-compromise car, as there are many features it has that the competition does not (as all "full" cars do when they are new).

I agree.
    I highly doubt any assertion that "lack of Bluetooth" and a "cheap sunroof" (otherwise taken to be a marvel of panorama in every car it appears in--QX7, SRX) would negatively affect any serious attempt to buy this car.

It could, cheaply, confer an "air of discrimination" though.
  • #1367 of 1374 Re: website [1487] by markcincinnati Sep 18, 2007 (6:22 pm)
    Replying to: 1487 (Sep 18, 2007 5:55 pm)
    Many of my issues with the car have to do with a broader issue: marketing.

Bluetooth and the sunroof will be, for many, deal breakers and that is my concern.

=====================================================

But you cannot purchase the car for "many". You can only purchase the car for you.

The car will do at least as well as the old one, and possibly better (with variants); so we cannot tell what will be a "deal breaker".

My feeling is that both are superfluous concerns.

Bluetooth earpieces are ubiquitous and widely used, and that the sunroof is "cheap" is subjective (and probably a minority view). It certainly won't affect the car's sales numbers, since its sheer size is impressive.

Let us pick this back up in a year and see how it fared.
  • #1368 of 1375 Re: website [1487] by knotem Sep 18, 2007 (9:33 pm)
    Replying to: 1487 (Sep 18, 2007 5:55 pm)
    "It sounds like many of you are not going to get the car for a few reasons that I consider minor. Perhaps the CTS isnt for you."

That unforgivable sunroof design is not a minor problem if it can’t block out 70% of the heat and the sun light when I don’t need them. It’s a major SHOW STOPPER in my opinion and many others on this board.

Anybody cares to state his/her opinion has the right to speak up; if a person has to praise or criticize the car I’m thinking of buying, I would like to hear it loud and clear without getting offended, even if that criticism was exaggerated or wrong, because that critic is a real Cadillac fan, saying his/her honest opinion, not a paid Auto Writer.

========================================================

Please point to multiple car reviews from magazines, online publications and new owners or people who have test-driven this car that point to the sunroof being a "SHOW STOPPER" (sic).

Such a view is unique to a few posters on this forum and largely rhetorical. Can anyone refer me to any reviewers here who failed to overcome the "70%" heat problem with the AC? Did I miss the posts where people complained about the heat (on actual test drives)?

Other than that, this is the first time I have ever heard anybody try to suggest that auto writers could be biased in favor of Cadillac (or GM).
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    Anyone finding the red ones in stock? The dealers near me have none (Dallas).
  • #1372 of 1376 Keyless entry/ignition by rem506 Sep 19, 2007 (11:15 am)
    The keyless entry/ignition feature on the 2008 CTS is one of the nicer options and I have a hard time believing anyone could have any serious fault with it. Is the complaint that Caddy used a "switch" that you turn rather than a button that you push? It's the same natural and traditional motion we have all been executing for years without having to take the key out of your pocket and physically place it in the ignition.
    The key fob that accompanies the keyless entry/ignition is sleek looking and feels solid. I was very impressed. The remote start is an added bonus. This is a feature that should be put into the "positive" category.

============================================================

It is a positive.

It's way simpler than BMW's keyless ignition system--which Edmunds hated (as well as Car and Driver--and maybe even Motor Trend); and it's the same as the Acura RL's:

Interestingly enough, Car and Driver complained that Acura's design drained the battery since it was easy to not turn it all the way to "Off"--

"Complaints, yes, we got complaints. The ignition knob on the steering-wheel column seemed a dumb idea and left at least two editors stranded with a dead battery because they hadn’t turned the knob all the way off. In a car with a traditional ignition, they wouldn’t have been able to remove the key and kill the battery."

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroadtests/10770/long-term-test-review-2005-acura- -rl-2005-acura-rl-rants-and-raves-page2.html

So, three to four years later, we know Cadillac's system is better than that.

Here is how it looks:

Much of the criticism of the car on this board is unfair in the light of its competitors. This is quickly obvious when you look at the details.
  • It's too late for that, as some here don't seem to even care to know that.

Here are some night shots:

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    I started wondering if Rockylee had been reincarnated with a new screen name, but apparently not. He's still posting elsewhere these days, but doesn't want to participate here or in the Entry-Level board, now that there actually is an '08 CTS. Strange, given his previous history.

I'd thought some of the recent cheerleading might have been him. Guess again.
  • #1380 of 1380 Well. . . by cdnpinhead Sep 19, 2007 (2:42 pm)
    I started wondering if Rockylee had been reincarnated with a new screen name, but apparently not. He's still posting elsewhere these days, but doesn't want to participate here or in the Entry-Level board, now that there actually is an '08 CTS. Strange, given his previous history.

I'd thought some of the recent cheerleading might have been him. Guess again.

============================================================

When you're wrong you're wrong. It's a simple as that.

Other people may back down in the face of untruthfulness so as to avoid being painted as a "fanboy" or as a "rockylee" (whatever that is); but that is irrelevant to me.
    All of that strikes me as rather immature; and I suppose the people who are discussing this car on Edmunds would be old enough to buy one.

All substantial criticisms of the car will stand up to the facts.

All others will wither away or hide behind pejorative titles and name-calling. I have no time for that.

You take care of yourself.
  • "cheerleading" is the politically correct word; I thought they're GM's agents.
  • #1382 of 1382 Re: Well. . . [cdnpinhead] by knotem Sep 19, 2007 (3:25 pm)
    Replying to: cdnpinhead (Sep 19, 2007 2:42 pm)
    "cheerleading" is the politically correct word; I thought they're GM's agents.

====================================

Not any more than somebody spreading demonstrable falsehoods (compulsively or not) about it, would be a "BMW agent".
    Occam's Razor precludes both, and rather suggests simpler motivations. There isn't even any evidence that "agents" exist.
  • ...it's about the CAR, not each other. Disagreeing with someone else is fine, but let's leave the personal assumptions and accusations at the door.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    flinging mud at anyone, but expressing disappointment that a strong (to put it mildly) advocate of the (at the time) "next" CTS isn't here to discuss it, now that it actually exists.

There was much discussion at the time about the futility of comparing the virtues of a non-existent vehicle to those actually available.

Now they're all up and running, but some appear to have run farther than others.
  • I'm the proud owner of one of the first vehicles off the truck at my local dealer but may be paying the price for jumping the gun. I'm still overwhelmingly happy with the car but am already getting to know the service manager a bit too well.

Are any of you new owners out there experiencing the following or other problems?

* Excessive wind noise through the sunroof (needs tightening). I'm one of the few who actually purposely bought this car with a sunroof - the flimsy retractable semi-shade doesn't bother me at all.
    * Oil pressure fluctuates rapidly between 35 and top of 80 during normal driving. Calling dealer in the morning as this one scares me a bit.
    * Steering wheel shakes like a leaf at 70+ (likely a front wheel balance issue)
    * Minor fit issue with Rt front bumper cover and Rt rear of rocker applique. Lt side of car is perfect!
  • Just got the price for bluetooth adder $500 seems kinda steep for something they should have included. I understand this is an ALPINE unit and the sell the device themselves for $250 but that means you have to install the unit and locate the mic. which could be a real pain.
    Also has anyone herd anything about the wood shift nob and steering wheel.

Mike
  • My dealer says that the wood steering wheel and shift knob option is constrained right now. If you want it, you'll have to wait. How long, I have no idea.
  • No- I have not had any of the issues mentioned. However, when I picked up the vehicle (3 weeks ago the day after it was delivered to the dealership) the XM antenna wire had been pinched so it had to be replaced. Regarding the lack of bluetooth, I thought it would be a big issue but I dug out my old BT headset and have no complaints.

Absolutely love the car.....anxious to see how it will do in the snow (AWD), particularly with the seemingly low front bumper. I've driven an SUV for years and may be a bit spoiled.
  • If you want a spare tire - it's an added cost option!

I don't think so. More GM customer manipulation - the reason I haven't owned GM for several years.

When we "looked" at the car yesterday we noted: It's a beautiful car - in and out. My wife (5'3" and 130 lbs) commented about the uncomfortable seats.