Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• arby1arby1 Posts: 83
    Thanks for the answer .
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    my understanding is the new discounts are only on base model 1SA w/o any premium packages or certain other options.....they are basically bare bone models is my understanding...Im not one to turn over a car often.....my 09 CTS will be good for 7-8 years.....
  • I have been bragging that my 08 CTS has been trouble free since the nightmares it caused last January and Feb. Many of you remember the engine replacement and other issues, and if not and you care to, you can read my early posts. Well, got in the car to come home from church today and the check engine light stayed on. Since all the troubles earlier, I look at it every time I start the engine.
    Took the car to Dallas yesterday, and no problems and no light. Had OnStar run a check on it and they say it is safe to drive, and that it shows to be some type of engine control problem. I will go visit the dealership tomorrow, and they probably won't get it in to check it out till at least Tuesday. This trip to the dealers is gong to put me well over 30 days in the shop since I took delivery last October 31st. Getting much closer to being able to pull the lemon law on them.
    My wife and I discussed it, and if this is another serious problem then we are probably going to get rid of the car. Just can't trust it, over thirty days in the shop in the first year is ridiclous. Only problem is that I have been cruising the internet looking at cars and can't really find another one that I like. Might go to a crossover, rented a new Ford Edge this summer for a week on vacation, and we were really pleased with it. Guess I had better wait and see what is wrong this time. Thanks for letting me vent. I'll let you know what turns up.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    I hope it turns out to be something simple like a bad sensor that needs to be replaced.

If you have to get rid of it why not take a new '09. You seem to like the car and you are no more likely to get another lemon than you are if you go to another make or style. Most of us have had pretty good experience with our CTS's.

In any case I wish you better luck with whatever you do.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,306
    ". . .like my 09 CTS, but I hate that Cadillac has sucked most the resale value out of it just a few months after I bought."

U.S. cars are such a joy that way. The CTS has held up pretty well until recently, but what's happening now is what happened to the Lincoln LS 6-8 years ago. The early adopters (this is the one time in my life I was one -- won't happen again) paid invoice plus a few percent. Those who waited a few years paid MSRP - $8-10K.

Resale value? Apparently we don't need no stinkin' resale value.

I now own a Honda (Acura, really, but what's the diff?).
  • aldwaldw Posts: 82
    Resale is too dependent on perception, if Cadillac's perception was better for the same cars the resale would be much higher, but in any case the cars are very good and don't deserve the bashing that some import humpers spew.
    a new one for thousands less than you could a year earlier, everyone who already owns one loses.

If you can't, there's no problem.
  • traderjtraderj Posts: 39
    I bought mine today, will pick it up Tues or Wed. The deal is on the 1SA and you can add any stand alone options, such as sunroof, leather, etc. You just can't add any of the luxury packages. If you don't need those luxury packages, as I did not in this case, it is the best deal I have ever seen. And, I am 59 years old and a car buff.
    Even after all of the discounts GMS pricing and rebates and bonus cash and leasee loyalty and GM card rewards, the dealer added wrong on the purchase order. They shorted themselves by $1000-. Being the honest person I am, and knowing they would catch it anyway when they put the numbers into their computer, I told them about it. The sales manger appologized, told me it was his fault, and said he would give me the extra $1000- off. In the end I paid 64% of MSRP for an '09. Unfortunately my stock investments are only worth about 64% of what they were a couple of months ago. Oh well, win some, lose some.
  • Got it in the shop today. Service advisor called and told me a bunch of gobbly [non-permissible content removed] that I didn't really understand. In english the engine control computer malfunctioned at 0 rpm's and made the light come on. They say GM already has a technical bulletin out on it, they have to reprogram the engine control computer which they did and test drove and the car runs fine. They wanted to keep it overnight and start it in the morning when the engine is cold and see if it is ok. Trying to duplicate the consition when it happened. If it goes ok, should get the car back tomorrow. Offered me a rental for the night, but I have other cars, and it is too much of a hassle going to Enterprise for one night. If it were to turn to a few days I would take the rental. More info when I get the car back
  • ajl1223ajl1223 Posts: 13
    I remember your issues......so far since February i have not had the car in the shop except for a tire rotation and oil change....... and like you I am always checking for the check engine light.
  • I also remember your troubles, glad to hear the car has been doing well.
    Got my CTS back this afternoon. The explanation from the service advisor was that there was nothing wrong with the car and the check engine light should not have ever come on. The technical service bulletin from GM was that the parameters on the ECM were set too tight from the factory and might trigger the light, usually on startup. GM's fix was to reprogram the ECM, with a new slightly wider set of parameters and this should take care of the problem in the future.
    Tech who installed the new engine worked on it this time, and did a 30 mile test drive this morning with no problems. I will keep my fingers crossed. I will also continue to check for that engine light every time I drive it, which is not really that often since it is really my wife's car.
    "Tech who installed the new engine worked on it this time, and did a 30 mile test drive. . ."

That's a good thing.

I was hoping, back when you were having the engine issues, that the dealership and mechanic would take ownership. So far, looks like they have.

I'm driving an Asian appliance these days. Guess what? No issues. Not much fun, either. I'd have much preferred a 3-series BMW or an A3, but for a variety of reasons, here I am.

I don't know what your expectations were, but I was willing to cut Lincoln quite a bit of slack with my last car. Not enough, as it turned out.
  • My expectations after all th engine trouble, bad grease seal and bad abs sensor which the part took 9 days to get wren't very much
    Actually since the engine swap the car has exceeded my especttions. I figured it would be constantly in the shop from some problem or othr related to the engine being changed and so far this hasn't happened. This minor blurp with the programming on the ECM wasn't a big deal and I expect a few things like that from time to time. However i don't expect to have the egine changed at 1800 miles. It still has 3 years and about 44,000 miles of bumper to bumper warranty left, so we will see. If nothing major happens we will keep it, if something drastic happens again, it will be gone as soon as possible. Problem is I just don't know what we would buy. Only other car I have driven that I like is the Ford Edge that I had for over a week when on vacation this summer. It was brand new, less than 200 miles when I rented it and I put over 1200 miles on it and really enjoyed the way it performed. Just don't know if I would want one for the long term or not. Maybe it will never come to that.
  • kplacerkplacer Posts: 94
    If you buy the Edge be prepared to be having rear brake work done every year. The rear brakes seem to be designed wrong and wear out inordinately quickly.
  • Ever since I updated the software on both my iPhone (non-3G) and iPod nano (per Apple updates) my iPhone is not recognized by the audio system when I plug it in (although my nano is still recognized). With my nano; however, it does not turn off when I turn the car off and it used to turn off.

With the Bluetooth, I have to answer the phone manually from the phone, or I cannot receive a call. Once I answer from the phone, the sound does come over the car speakers. Making calls from the Bluetooth works fine.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a flash update for the car from GM? My dealer has no clue.
  • st4422st4422 Posts: 7
    I believe that Apple broke the iPhone/CTS interface with version 2.1 of the iPhone software. There have been many reports on Apple and other car forums. Apparently, we have to wait for Apple to fix the problem.
  • Thanks for the reply sts4422. I just had a look see over at the Apple site. I guess I will have to wait for Apple to fix. Sigh!
  • Hope you are trouble free from now on.

I have 6,000 miles on my 09. Zero problems so far. My only disappointment was the 26.3 mpg I got on my recent road trip from Indy to Santa Fe & back. I know that meets the EPA highway estimate, but EVERY car I have ever owned has beaten the EPA highway estimate by 10 to 20 percent. I was hoping the CTS would too.
  • Does anyone who has an 08 CTS with beige/tan?? interior get the tan color rubbed off the door jamb due to getting in and out of the car??

LOL...I'm 6 foot 225 lbs fairly lean :) and I can not for the life of me get in or out of the car without getting in contact with the door rubber seal and the tan interior strip that is right next to it.

I have rubbed off all the tan color exposing the black plastic underneath and with 1 year and 12,000 miles the inside is starting to look like a used car with this rub mark. Normal wear and tear???

PS: I tried to move my seat up forcing me to stay away from the trim guard..... that only aggravated and twisted my knee trying to squeeze in...Anyway...anyone rubbing off their interior?
  • I noticed that when driving on NJ asphalt roads I have no wind noise. But recently I wound up on a concrete roadway in NY and it was definitly a different ride.

There was like a constant HUM because of the concrete roadway. I immeadiatly thought "thank god I dont live in Florida where 99% of the roads are concrete.
    I dont know if thats the noise you guys hear....but I never heard any annoying noise in my 08 CTS until I drove on a solid concrete roadway for about 10 miles. Then I heard something.
    The EPA just modified their mileage testing methods to more nearly approximate real driving conditions, so it is their estimate and not your driving that is reducing the spread.
    I just came out of a 2 year lease of an STS with beige interior and it was a maintenace nightmare. We had discoloring of the door handle/armrest, and the seat. No matter what we used we couldn't get it looking like new. We couldn't wait to get out of it. I just purchased an '09 CTS, and our first requirement was that it must have a black interior. We are 2 adults in our 50's, we are very easy on a car, but even we couldn't keep the beige interior looking clean.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Thats funny as I'm finishing up my 2nd year of ownership of a Red STS with the same color interior as you have and it looks as good as new. I have about 24K on it with about 18K of back and forth to work city type driving. I have had a couple other Caddys with this color interior without a hitch.
    I had the black dye from a belt rub of on my beige leather seat. I wonder if they are rubbing black dye onto their trim rather than the other way around. I don't believe there is black plastic under the beige trim.
  • knotemknotem Posts: 62
    My 08 CTS is about 7 weeks old, has less than 1,500 miles and the driver's beige leather seat has a large wrinkle, the leather is kind of loose. It looks similar to that in the Cadillac forums website:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-forum-2008-beyond/134923-probl- em-drivers-seat-leather.html

I didn't have any other problem with the car; I don’t know if that loose leather seat problem worth the trip to the dealer. I wonder if GM would replace the seat; I new from past experience if they try to fix it they'll make it less durable.

Anybody experiences loose driver's leather seat?
    I had the same thing happen to me, also from a black belt. I had to take the car to an upholstery shop to try to remove the stains. This again, is why I just bought a CTS with a black interior. I don't want to have to woryy about what I am wearing.
    It is very common for the seat cushion leather to stretch out on Cadillacs. It happened on my '04 CTS and my '06 STS. Both times I was told this was normal. Cadillac will not replace it. It doesn't look good and it shouldn't happen.
  • Since the modified EPA estimates are lower, my "spread" should be increasing, not decreasing.
  • andbyeandbye Posts: 4
    These ads show $42,850 and $30,995 and seem to represent prices after all rebates, incentives, etc. for a well equipped model and a strictly base model. Doesn't indicate 2008 or 09 and no MSRP. What are they really saying? How do these compare to "employee pricing" featured a few weeks back?