Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

Comments

• Great news. Last Monday, I got an email from my dealer that my CTS with Prem Lux and B20 and P63 had been accepted to be built by GM. Today, I get an email that it is scheduled to be built the week of 12/3. He said he will be able to provide a VIN in a couple of days. My dealer believes I will take delivery before Xmas which would be wonderful.

I've downloaded the manuals so that I will be up to speed when I take delivery. I am very excited. This is my first new car since my purchase of and earlier Motor Trend car of the year - a 2000 model year Lincoln LS V8.

-CB
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    "This is my first new car since my purchase of and earlier Motor Trend car of the year - a 2000 model year Lincoln LS V8"

As purchaser of a Y2K Lincoln LS V8 myself ( and an '03 as well ) I'm looking forward to your report on how this CTS compares...

- Ray
    Not in the market today, but looking....
  • My CTS with DI, Luxury Premium, Sport Performance, Polished Wheels, AWD, Black Raven was accepted on Monday. MSRP was about $49 so maybe what you are saying is true.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Were did you download the manuals from? Can you give me the URL.
  • "Were did you download the manuals from? Can you give me the URL."

Here you go:

2008 CTS Manuals

-CB
  • The FE2 setup is, IMHO, what should be the base suspension, it is softer than I have come to expect from the cars in the ELLPS and LPS class of cars from Germany (and Infiniti.)

This is NOT at all a bad thing -- I drove in to the dealer in a 2005 Audi A6 with 18" wheels and the then standard suspension set up. I then tested the CTS FE2, AWD, bla bla bla.

Got in my car and drove over the same route I had just driven the CTS. The CTS was softer, it floated about 1/2 of a suspension cycle more than the A6.

The damping, apparently was the issue. The FE2 version allows a down, up, down and half an up/down over a "whoop-de-doo" that the A6 only allows a down, up, return to normal motion.

This is NOT meant to suggest the CTS is not a fine sheen. It simply means it is apparently an American interpretation of a Sport suspension.

It is not sufficiently damped in this league -- I could live with it and probably after a time come to think the Germans were stiff and harsh.

Today, I feel the CTS is too much like my first water bed.

Alas, no FE3 offered with AWD.

The springs remain the same -- the differences ARE the dampers.

Drive it like you live.
  • I ordered CTS, red, DI, AWD, PDQ prem lux on 10-16-07 from Pittsburgh, PA area dealer. Salesman told me this morning, 11-29-07, that order was picked up 11-19-07, car most likely built by now. Order was delayed because of B20 wood constraint until 11-19-07. Hope others soon receive such good news.
  • Regarding navigation system. I did not order luxury level that included navigation.
    On Star is free for one year and offers Connections and Directions. The directions are shown on radio screen and audio comes through radio.
    Very easy to use. Call On Star tell them were you want to go, they program directions and it shows up on your radio screen. If you go off course On Star computer comes on an asks if you want new route.
    I like it, very simple to use.
    Cosmo13
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    and after first free year it cost you big bucks, like $299 per year. After 2 years you could buy your own nav unit aftermarket.
  • I just got the Jan. 08 Car and Driver magazine. They test 4 sports sedans, one being the 2008 CTS with manual transmission. They state, "coupled with the six-speed manual, the CTS didn't feel quite as finished or satisfying as the automatic equipped car...from a stiff clutch pedal with inconsistent engagement to a clunky and high-effort shifter that resists smooth, quick gearchanges, the CTS's powertrain seems crude without the automatic."
    I am considering placing an order for a 2008 CTS in December. It would only be if I get it with the 6 speed manual. Is there anyone with the 2008 with manual transmission who thinks Car and Driver is out of line with their comments? (The CTS placed 3rd behind the G35 and 328i, but ahead of the MB C300 Sport)
  • After sending 3 years trying to get Audi to recognize a problem in my 2005 Audi A6 I finally gave up and traded it in for a 2008 CTS DI engine with all the bells and whistles. Only thing I can say is" I love this car "and as I told Audi I'd never by one of their cars again. They are a terrible company to deal with. So if your considering a new Audi do yourself a favor and look and drive this CTS.
  • Are you able to get other manuals. I am waiting for my 2008 SRX to arrive, and it would be awesome to get up to speed on the vehicle. I called Cadillac and GM but they could not help. I know after delivery, or at least once I have a VIN #, I can download the manual from mygm.c*m.
  • Would this be the same Car and Driver magazine that rated the BMW #1 in its October 2005 comparison test of 8 sport sedans even though the brakes failed and put the car in a full spin? LOL

C&D probably prints sales brochures for BMW.
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    Just a follow-up from your earlier comments: Although I plan on renting a CTS for a couple of days to get a better feel of the car, today was my first drive in one, the DI version, (tarted up with Vogue wheels, whitewalls, pinstripping, tinted windows, painted grill, in Diamond White--it was stunning) with the dealer. A couple miles of city streets, two highway merges, some parking lot maneuvering. Maybe it's the comparison (I too drive a 300C). But I was kind of underwhelmed. Nice power, very responsive engine/transmission, but lacks the brute force of the Hemi. Nice ride and control, maybe a tad softer and without the annoying rear suspension noise of the 300, but not a whole lot better. Biggest disappointment was the interior. Comfortable seating and plenty of legroom, yes, and enough headroom that I could adjust the seat up (I'm 6 ft.) to give more of the up right sitting position like in the 300. But the perception was slightly confining, probably due to the wrap-around design of the console/dash, and the center stack seemed a bit busy, though admittedly the detailing and finish was very impressive. Also noticed that the doors don't close with a solid thunk. No rattles, but there was definitely some flexing in the door/window area, almost like the old the Devilles of the 70's. And what's this with the no flash-to-pass headlights (only works with the headlights ON). That's one of my most used features (Yes I'm going to pass you; Yes I'm going to let you pull in ahead of me; Hi gorgeous; What the heck kind of maneuver was that you jerk; etc.).

Still an impressive vehicle, though not quite the WINNER I was expecting. Will have to see if the longer term renting will change my impression.
  • The Car and Driver comparo was with the FE3 equipped car. Wow.

At this price point/class the Infiniti is a winner.

At this price point and whatever class the 300C AWD with a bunch of options on it is in, it too is a winner.

At the discount price of the STS with the DI engine, it will pull sales from the CTS.
    The CTS will, in perhaps 6 months, probably be pretty much discounted, too -- then, with the addition of the bluetooth factory feature (which even the 300C offers via a package called Uconnect), the CTS might be an appropriately priced winner.

Gawd, it sure is purty -- but even with the great (apparent) build quality and pretty decent power -- a maxed out 300C with the current discount structure seems like so much more car for da moola. But, it is a bit porky -- yea, I know so is the CTS, so what else is new.

I do believe I am still going to wait for the new LWB V6 AWD A4 Sline -- then my choice will most likely be between the Audi A4, Cadillac CTS DI and the Infiniti G35X.

The rumored updated 300C (D?) will be out then too -- the Cadillac, IMHO, will need hmmm, about a 10-12% nominal discount at that point.

Then, it could be the winner -- if I say it often enough and fast enough, while I'm squinting. . ."it could happen!"

:surprise:
  • bdingbding Posts: 13
    I talked again (11/30) with Cadillac Customer Assistance. There are still "constraints" placed on my 10/05/07 CTS DI order out. No build date, no reason given. With the Lansing facility closed for the last two weeks of the year, I don't expect anything soon. The CSR rep said she was closing my account out. She said all further contact should be thru the dealer. I asked if there was someone I could speak to above her and was told, "no". So I'm thinking I was speaking to a dead-end all along. If my wife didn't want this car so badly, I'd say, "damn you Cadillac". GM, if your reading this, you've left a bitter taste in my mouth and this will most likely be the last car I'll ever purchase from you.
  • You need a better dealer. I have no problem getting ordering information from my dealer, not to mention reasons why things are happening or not happening. The "constraints" issues are well known and well discussed in these parts. Compare your options list to what's already been discussed and you'll have your answer. The reason they don't have a build date is because they honestly don't know. Suppliers can be a real PITA sometimes and these supply-chain issues have a real danger of customers saying "forget it" and heading straight for the Infiniti dealer. Trust me, GM is probably more pissed off than you are over this. For you, its an inconvenience. For them, it's costing them real money.
  • I haven't read the review yet (hasn't been delivered to the house). I can't say I'm surprised at the result. I still think it's not entirely an apples to apples comparo to put a CTS in the same test as a 3 series...they just aren't the same class vehicle. A G35 is a better comparison but that's smaller too. But Cadillac will have to live with this until the BTS bows sometime in the future.

And I think the automotive press agrees with me. Motor Trend has given the 2008 CTS the COTY award this year. The aformentioned Car and Driver put the '08 CTS on their 10Best list this year. The BMW 3-series was on it, but the G35 was not. Not that the G35 didn't deserve to be on the list, but the new G35 is evolutionary improvement over the old car. The '08 CTS is night and day over the '07 CTS. Sometimes you get awards for how far you've come.

The STS with the DI engine picking off CTS sales? I'd love the get some of the tree you've been smoking. The STS is just a plain boring vehicle next to the CTS. The only thing it has going for it over the CTS is a V8 option and soon that won't even be a differentiator.

The 300C is a nice car...my favorite rental these days (leg room for days!). But the interior quality just is not the same class as the CTS or anything else in the class.

The A4 is a very very nice vehicle. Audi has probably done more than anyone in transforming FWD cars into Quattro cars that can get around a curve. If somebody buys an Audi over other cars in the class, I can't blame them.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    The STS is just a plain boring vehicle next to the CTS.
    I beg to differ on that. I have a 07 STS-4 and have driven a number of 07 CTS's in which the 08 is different but it is still a bottom of the line Caddy. Very Nice, but no STS.
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    markcincinnati - After reading your post (# 1797), I can only say this. I hope you are as happy with whatever you buy as I am with my 08 Cadillac CTS, because I think it is awesome. What a car!!! And truly, that's all that really matters.

thebug...