Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Cadillac CTS

1888990919294»

Comments

• tooeagletooeagle Posts: 1
    Marsian's comments are basically correct except I don't know why some people have to "talk down" to other people making posts and giving opinions, when they might be better informed or more experienced than another poster. With his apparent experience with the CTS, he (or she) could have just started off with "i disagree" and go on. Further, I wouldn't consider anything sinerii said as "dangerous" as he implied.

I'm just here looking for reasons to buy, or not to buy a CTS. If they really are comparatively bad in snow and/or slippery conditions compared to other AWD cars, then as an existing owner of an older AWD Acura TL which IS exceptionally good in snow, I'll probably pass and get another Acura AWD TL or RL. Sorry, I'm off topic. But just had to throw my 2 cents in.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,941
    edited April 2012
    With snow tires, RWD cars can be fine in snow except for the ground-clearance issues.
    In city-snow, proper tires allow the RWD driver more flexibility getting into on-street/half-ice parking spots. But FWD is better, all else being equal... Best to have a FWD Chevy Cruze for winter use if one owns a CTS-V. The snow tires & snow-rims for CTS-V would probably cost as much as an entire Chevy Cruze, if they are even available for it ;) :| .

Also i must nitpick marsian's comment about the 'perfection' of Front Wheel Drive. Front Wheel Drive is nowhere close to perfect. It's major flaw will always torque-steer, not due to a design issue, but due to Newtonian physics.
    Designs with different-sized halfshafts/balanceshafts/blahblah can only mitigate mother-nature's insistence that front-wheel-drive sucks for performance vehicle applications.

sincerely,

one of the top 3000 likely USA buyers of a new CTS-V, according to detailed market research!
    Blizzak or similar... get the best... you won't regret it when you hit the brakes...
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Front wheel drive may not be perfect, but front wheel drive with snow tires and adequate ground clearance is suitable for most severe winter situations. I live in northern Ontario and was travelling in a severe snow storm about 2 months ago. It was early Sunday evening, many of the roads had not been plowed, and the parking lot to our apartment building certainly had not been plowed. I was returning from Duluth, MN. There was about 8 to 9 inches of snow on the ground. I had no problem navigating the snow. I drive a front wheel drive Chevy Uplander with snow tires in the winter. The next day at work, my work colleagues were describing how their 4 wheel drive vehicles were getting stuck in the snow. They did not have snow tires.
    agree 100% JPF... one time I've found AWD/4WD is absolutely required in addition to snow/ice tires - is on steep/ice/snow driveways - with at least one switchback turns - so you can't use momentum to compensate for lack of traction. gotta have 4WD/AWD for that application!

another big win for traction in winter is: MANUAL TRANSMISSION - much better than automatic.
    It's nice that Cadillac offers manuals in so many CTS. A manual transmission with AWD could be veeeery nice, maybe nicer than a CTS-V with manual. (!?)
  • tdbmdtdbmd Posts: 20
    It has been my experience, living in a snowy climate, that the tires on your car make the biggest difference regarding performance in the snow. If you have summer or even high performance all-season, they really are not geared for snow, whether in FWD, RWD or AWD. Going to a set of dedicated snow tires makes all of these drive modes much better in snowy conditions. Not to mention much better STOPPING and TURNING, which is even more important. So if you really need to go out in snow with your car and your get much snow at all, get a set of true snow tires.
  • gersgers Posts: 2
    It took a month to figure out why the drivers seat in my new CTS Lux. was giving me a back ache. I get no support. The seat is like sitting on a BALL, with pressure applied to the middle of my bottom. The seat back is the same with pressure against my spine. When I take corners I flop from side to side for I am not sinking into the seat, not being supported like a bucket seat should provide. My last vehicles since my 1999 Volvo, 2005 Acura TL, 2007 Infiniti M35 and 2009 Maxima were so comfortable I never thought to pay attention to the CTS seat when test driving. I should have read the Edmunds review which points this problem out. Has any one with this problem gotten a resolution from Cadillac? Thanks, GiGi
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Where any of these past cars purchased new?
  • Good evening gers,
    I'm sorry that your seats are leaving you uncomfortable. Does your CTS have power seats, and if so have you already tried adjusting the different components of the seat? You can find more information on this on page 3-4 of your manual.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I've had my CTS luxury for 7 weeks now and my biggest complaint is the stiffness and lack of seat comfort. (second is the mpg). I have herniated discs in my neck and lower back (will be needing cervical surgery in the fall) and unfortunately didn't notice the seat issue the three times that I test drove the car. Next time I want to change automobile manufacturers, I will rent the vehicle for at least a week so that I can really get a feel for the car). I came from a 2009 Volvo S80 and 2006 S60 and never had any problems with seat comfort. I don't sway like (gers), but have adjusted the seat to every possible angle and just can't get comfortable. Sad that such a nice car, does not have a rounder and softer seat.
  • pony00pony00 Posts: 10
    Do you have a CTS DI? I rented a regular CTS and the seats were much more comfortable. I have a CTS DI and the seats aren't as comfortable, but that's made by design since it's the sportier version. It is a sport sedan in general anyways so the seats aren't usually that comfy. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,169
    yankman04,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your New CTS. Thank you for your support. I have documented your concerns. Have you talked with the Service department or your sales person regarding this concern? I would recommend doing so just to see if there is anything they can do. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • zahavazahava Posts: 11
    I have had all these types of cars. I am a little older and remember the days of no AWD. Well, like most of the posts here. The tires matter a lot. In the old days I had 'snow tires' so, that just meant 2 snow tires for the rear end. They worked just fine and with careful driving. Today, I think that AWD with a set of 'dedicated snow tires' and skill and careful driving is the ans. for 'best'performance. Pretty much what people are saying here. I live in a snowy climate and I do see a number of 4 WD vehicles in the ditches every year. That doesn't mean that FWD with good snow tires isn't good or not preferred. Another caveat is what are you driving? Some just like certain types of cars' High performance or not H/P. My wife and I owned 2 Caddy CTS x4. Good cars. The posts here are right. The CTS is a performance sedan so it usually has the P tires. So to get the maxium benefit in the winter;get the 'dedicated S/Tires. It's all good. We have a FWD car and I have a set of Blizzaks for it. That does well too but must admit the AWD makes a 'Tad' differrence.
  • I had the same issues with my 2008 cts with pinging in the engine . after several trip to the dealer and contacting cadillac. They said that they are replacing my engine. It,s been about eight months now and mybe about 24000 miles later and I'm starting to have the same pinging sound in my engine. I use top line of gas in the car exxon. what should I do? should I report it back to the dealer ship or report it to the lemon law. :mad:
  • pony00pony00 Posts: 10
    Are you sure it's not your exhaust? I recently had a rattling noise in my rear exhaust and they told me (of course after my warranty had expired) that I need an entirely new exhaust. Luckily the dealership I went to got GM to pitch in for most of the cost so I was happy. Then I noticed a rattling again (not as bad as the bad exhaust noise before) and my husband found that my rear tail light wire was hanging loose and rattling against the muffler. Ever since we taped it with electrical tape I don't hear anymore noise. Thank goodness, because it was driving me nuts!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,169
    jupinbean,
    We're sorry to hear that the pinging noise has returned. If you want for us to check into anything further with you and your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service