Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta Engine Questions

i have a 1990 mk2 jetta 1.8 liter, i was wondering if i could swap a 1997 mk3 jetta 2.0 liter engine and what is involved in doing it?

Comments

• You can but WHY WOULD U? IS THE 2.0 FREE? I would search for a 20 valve 1.8 turbo, or a vr6 of some sort. I would even consider turbo/super charging the 1.8 u already have. It would be about the same cost by the time u factor in labor. And you need the 2.0 tranny, ecu, the wiring harness. You will also probably need to upgrade your radiator so buy it from the transplant 2.0 car. Try to buy it all together, the ecu, raddy, engine, tranny..

Theres a ton of Mk2 engine upgrades that i would consider before a 2.0 transplant. Its not a fast engine and to supercharger or turbo it its at least 2500$$$ .. for a good staged system. Spend your hard earned dough wiser.
  • I have a 1997 Jetta Jazz and just recently the power has just died. I attempted to drive up a reasonably steep hill and it couldn't make it in 2nd, downshifted and it died in first....you could push the gas pedal to the floor and nothing. It continued to drive, but again, most times, you can sink the gas pedal and there is no/little pick-up. It also bucks when it is running at low RPMs. I live in Manila, Philippines and it will cost me $1500.00 to hook it up to the computer diagnostic at the dealer. Trying to avoid this. Any ideas of what may be happening here? Any information will be helpful and appreciated.

ManilaRob
  • tnx for your answers
  • turbo restrictor plate holes plugging up. Purpose of plate and can it be modified do to carbon buildup or removed?
  • why is my 2001 volkswagen's engine sooo loud? only 64,000 miles on it. no pinging or knocking noise just loud.
  • thalthal Posts: 3
    Could valve damage result from a broken timing belt on my 2003 tdi - broke on start up , any manufacture recourse ,only 55000 miles
  • vwinvavwinva Posts: 71
    You are out of warranty. Could bargin with dealer for some sort of discount since belt is not supposed to be changed until 80K service.
    Possible valve damage could accure from timing belt breakage ???????
  • vwinvavwinva Posts: 71
    Indeed. Cam shaft is driven by timing belt. Cam shaft determines when valves open. If not closed in time they will be damaged by the rising piston.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    The 2003 TDI has a 100,000 mile replacement belt... not the 80,000 belt of the older TDIs.

If this one broke at 55K miles, somthing is VERY wrong. I am wondering if this timing belt is not the original (ie... somthing was assembled incorectly during a previous maintenance service. It is very easy to incorectly install the tensionor...which can snap the belt prematurly)

As mentioned above, valve damage can occour on most automobile engines when the timing-belt breaks. (Not a VW-only thing) A broken timing belt means that the head should be pulled from the engine so the valves/pistons can be inspected for collision. That is why it is vitally important to replace the TB at the recommended intervals.

QUESTION: Was this TDI engine only run with the proper synthetic oil? Running dyno-oil is known to destroy the camshaft.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    valve damage can occour on most automobile engines when the timing-belt breaks.

I'd have thought most interference engines would use a timing chain. Relying on a belt, when you have an interference engine, seems like a bad design.
    I am assuming belt is broken at this time,heard pop then motor cranked much to fast ,didn't start,did not pull cover
    ,had towed to local shop,so vw for sure does not have clearance between valve and piston , some motors I beleive Honda will often clear..thanks for reply
  • I started driving a 2007 Jetta (manual transmission) last week. The engine is stalling as I slow down to make a turn, especially when making a left turn on a busy street, or, when inching along in gawker traffic at 5-10 mph with cars merging ahead. These are just the moments when drivers need precision timing.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm told this is being caused by a hydraulic clutch and drive by wire accelerator.

I've been driving manual cars for 20 years without any trouble. Is this something that drivers adapt to eventually? Or am I likely to be rear-ended a few times before VW makes a change?
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    What gear are you in before stalling?
  • 2nd gear. In my other cars, when slowing down for a curve, I'd go from 3rd to 2nd, let up on the gas a little, then when I wanted to pick up speed again, add a little gas then go back to 3rd. It's when I go back to accelerate again that the car dies.
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    Your do everything right. My 04 Jetta 6 speed manual will not stall in this case. Better fix it by dealer immediately under the warranty because its dangereous when the car stall and you cannot brake and steer easily.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Your Jetta has a problem that needs to be fixed.

I am not sure where you heard this is caused by "a hydraulic clutch and drive by wire accelerator." ... VW has been using this for over 10 years now. (And so have many other automakers)

Irreguardless of the cause... it is up to the DEALERSHIP to fix it... If you mention the fact this is a SAFETY issue, they may be more inclined to deal with it promptly.
  • Thanks, everyone! I'm taking it back in today. Will keep you posted if you like.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Yes indeedy, do let us know what happens. Good luck!