Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV Transmission Problems

14567810»

Comments

• #177 if your still selling the transmission please email me and I'll give you my number if it's still available my email is vanassaortiz@rocketmail.com
  • I recently took our MPV 2004 to the dealer because it was stuttering when driving and accelerating. We were told it was an electrical short that would cost $3000. The plug that the short is in was left unplugged during the last vehicle maintenance. When we told them they were the last ones to do maintenance they said it wasn't caused by the plug not being connected. What can I do?
  • If the problem happened immediately after your last maintenance it was caused by whomever messed up. If not, then it's unlikely related to what they did. I'd really like to know what exactly was "unplugged" during vehicle maintenance, though? I am struggling to think of even a fluid or belt change that would require unplugging of anything electrical.

Are you sure this is transmission related, though? I only ask because my local mazda dealer said the stuttering I was getting under mild acceleration was transmission related. I doubted it, and I was right; it was the VERY common ignition coil problem, which can often not present with any check engine light and give inconsistent stuttering, generally under mild throttle at lowish speeds. Diagnosing can at times be tricky because as mentioned the CEL won't always fire.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    The plug that the short is in was left unplugged during the last vehicle maintenance.

If that were true your van would have begun stuttering the second you started to leave the dealership. Plug/coil problems would be immediately noticeable.

I'd take it to any dealership.
  • I'll buy the transmission. Had mine rebuilt started acting up a week later. The Mechanic who rebuilt it was a contractors from the shop does not answer their calls or mine. He left town apparently . I am in N.E. Tennessee
  • So after reading many of these posts on this forum, I've come to realize that there are a lot of people with the same transmission problem and all starting at roughly the same mileage. I too have a 2002 Mazda MPV at 103,000 miles and I need a new or rebuilt transmission. I think there is enough people just on this forum to start a class act suit or at least if we all send letters and make phone calls to Mazda they'll have to start listening. I was estimated between 3000-5000 to fix my problem, but at this point I'm trying to just buy a rebuilt transmission with a warranty of whatever and have a local shop replace it. Does anyone know of any good websites (also reliable non scam websites) I could look at, or, if your in the bay area of California, do you know of someone who may know how to search and purchase a good rebuilt transmission with warranty? Thanks ya'll... and think about it, if we all fight together we may get Mazda to listen.
  • tw47tw47 Posts: 1
    Our 2002 MPV ES transmission failed Friday at 107,000 miles. Local quotes are +$3,000 for rebuilding the unit, but after reading all the posts for similar failures, I will probably scrap the van. We live in a rural area and the van hasn't been subjected to stop-and-go traffic, carrying lot of weight, or pulling a trailer. After seeing all the complaints, and experiencing a similar problem, I would not consider purchasing another Mazda product, and will recommend that any friends or family members do the same.
  • 2000 Mazda MPV, gear shift shows both neutral and drive selected, 156,000 miles, just started this week. I will check if clicking overdrive off affects it. Transmission likes to hunt on steep uphill, more so at some speeds than others. Other issues. Oil pan gasket leak replacement did not work and the dealer had to pull the engine up to do it.
    Lost a radiator at about 125,000 miles. Both radiator fans and the thermostat housing failed this year.
    Have replaced two input actuator controls, which only get used at 3500+ RPM or some such, but DEQ will not pass with an engine check light.
  • duchiduchi Posts: 1
    Well,I have the same problem ,I just bough a mazda mpv 2002 with a 90'000 miles and I have problems I think by changing small parts I rebuilded the whole engine,I. still having the same problem,if any body have suggestion I will appreciated
  • didthatdidthat Posts: 2

The 2000 Mazda MPV with gear shift shows both neutral and drive selected, failure caused by water from the massive coolant loss a few months earlier getting into the drive select sensor in the driver side drive assembly. Save some money by getting a Ford part instead of a Mazda part.

14567810»