Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV Transmission Problems

Comments

• steinprsteinpr Posts: 11
    yes it was under warranty, but according to Mazda North America it is up to the dealer to honer it, not Mazda the company. Trust me i spent many hours on the phone, to bring the dealer and Mazda corp to court for $600 is not worth it.
    it just sucks to be a mazda owner.
    ps the Mazda dealer in Brooklyn did give me a rental for 1 day when they had my car but Manhattan Mazda screwed me and Mazda Corp. did nothing.
  • kinkokinko Posts: 48
    If you have the Mazda EPP, the rental cost is not on Mazda, but the underwriter of the EPP, the third party that you paid for the EPP. I guess the dealer as the middleman, still needs to bill EPP company for the rental cost. Mazda pays when it is warranty work of the 4 years/50K miles BTB coverage. Your 2002 is obviously under the EPP domain. If you look under the mazdausa.com on MEPP, Mazda corp has no direct role in it. I guess you should go after the company that underwrite the EPP. Do you have any document on the EPP when you purchase it?
    we have a misunderstanding, this happened when my car was 1.5 years old- 18500 miles. I just found this site.
    The rental is paid by Mazda if the work is covered by warranty. why should the dealer care about saving Mazda some money on the rental? I believe the dealer who replaced your tranny messed up.
    or maybe the dealer charged Mazda and then screwed me, either way I'm out $600 and Mazda did nothing!
    You milage is too low for sure. That means you get about 200 miles per fill-up. I believe mine has a 19-22 average for the past 4 years. I get 300-340 miles per fill-up and I normally wait till the warning light comes on.

I did find out every Mazda service department are different from each other. I guess the skilled people would rather works for big dealer of big brand. But I found that Mazda is modernizing and expending their existing dealerships in US, instead of adding new dealers.

Can you tell us the story on the front suspension arms replacement?
    Sure, I heard a rattling in the right front wheel, at the same time the airbag light went on, I brought it into Mazda, they replaced the air bag for free (safety warranty) but they would not cover the control arms, thank god i have Geico, they offer the extended warranty ($250 deductible) they also covered new rotors all in all I paid 2 $250 deductible $500 total and Geico covered the other $1800.
    When you said that Mazda would not cover the control arms, I guess that they did not called that it was a defect. Otherwise, it should be covered by the BTB warranty. The Geico warranty has to be purchased when the car is less than a one years old (under 15K miles), right? I don't believe other insurance companies have the Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. Meanwhile Geico could have called the rotors as wear and tear item.
    I guess so, but for some reason they said the brake pads are wear and tear, but also I had replaced the rotors 1 month before.
    When the control arms were bad, did the front end vibrate besides rattling sound from the suspension? did it rattles on rough or smooth road surface? I don't normal keep the windows down, could you hear the front end rattles when the windows were up?
    I'd been trying to identify the cause of a mild front end vibration from the front. If taking the tires or aligment out the the equation, it has to be the suspension such as the control arms, structs...
    what i remember was when i would hit even a slight bump i would hear a rattle even with the windows up, but on a smooth surface i did not hear anything
  • I have had this on a mazda protoge and the mpv. I looked into it for a month, when I had the braks done the mech told me that it had a loose control arm from the strut to the swaybar. It was bouncing up and down on the haft shaft. The part was 26$ for one the repair was about one houre. I did it myself. it only took a jack 15mm socket. the only thing is to make sure that you torque the nut on the cantrol arm or the nut with fall off and it will rattle the same as befor. i hade the protoge in AZ. the heat mad the bushing rot. the mpv was the same way. The only thing you can do to stop it from rotting is to put grease on it every time you take the wheel off.
  • Is the reflash of the automatic transmission something only a Mazda dealer can do, or can the independents (such as AAMCO) do it? I have a 2002 MPV with classic downshift clunk.
  • shelle7796shelle7796 Posts: 7
    My transmission has gone out @ 67,000; looking at repair costs of $3300+. Had car in several times to have checked; told could find no problems. Transmission went out in my 1991 Mazda MPV at about 130,000 miles; had replaced and got 250,000 miles out of vehicle. Loved the vehicle so much that we bought another one. Have gone round and round with Mazda over this. Has anyone had luck with Mazda paying part of the costs. I read on another website that they paid 25% of one owner's costs. Currently seeking a lemon law attorney and am wanting to start a class action law suit against Mazda. Any information anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

:mad:
  • dblchindblchin Posts: 12
    Mazda covered the transmission replacement on my car. I had always used the same Mazda dealership and they helped me plead my case. I would contact Mazda America and see what they can do for you.
    Thanks for the information. Was your van still covered under warranty? :mad:
  • dblchindblchin Posts: 12
    No, the local service manager and Madza America's customer service got together and decided it was the best thing to do. I think you can have some degree of success if you keep pushing them. You may get free parts, at least!
  • embarkembark Posts: 3
    Mine just went out...could hear it happening on cruise control. GOing uphill, it seemed to "miss" the downshift and just rev up. Finally, it gave out...going down the interstate! I made it off the interstate, but at the stoplight on the off ramp, it just stopped. Unfortunately I bought it used just 4 months ago so I'm not sure if I can have any reimbursement for costs or not. 72,000 miles. Didn't know a transmission could go out that quick. I've never had a trans problem with ANY other car I've owned.
    If you bought it from a dealership I encourgage you to go back to them. I insisted that the dealership step up to the plate as well as Mazda and stand behind what they sell. I started off emailing to Mazda with no luck at all. Then I persisted and insisted that the dealership contact a representative to cover the costs of the transmission repairs. Without any hesistation, Mazda agreed to cover 50% of the $3345.00 bill; as they should have. No question I can be a b____, but at least this time it paid dividends! Keep in touch.

Michelle
    Thanks Michelle. Unfortunately, I bought it from a private seller, who I know, so I am sure they didn't just sell it because they "knew" it was failing.
    However, I am contacting Mazda directly to see how far I can get. Do you remember the Mazda reps name or contact info? Or did you just find a Mazda customer service number?
    Thanks for your input!
    Are you only the second owner of the vehicle? If the previous owners bought it from a Mazda dealer and had it serviced there, I would encourage you to go there as well. The Mazda reps name through email was Michael M at mazdacustomerassistance@mazdausa.com. He truthfully was worthless, but give it a try. If you have to use me that's fine. Trust me, he will know who I am. I was amazed over the # of blogs that I have read concerning this transmission problem. It is a VERY serious problem. Keep in mind, my van was out of warranty and they still paid. Keep me up to date.

Michelle
  • musicarmusicar Posts: 3
    I just joined the club because I am considering buying an 05 or 06 MPV. My husband and I are part-time musicians and need a van for hauling our equipment around. The Mazda5 is too small for us and the MPV seems a perfect size. However, I am getting nervous after reading all the posts about transmission problems. We test drove an 06LX with only 21.5K and really liked it, except that there was the problem of accelerating and not going into the next gear immediately and then lurching into the next gear. A different dealer had the car as a trade in. They are willing to take it to Mazda to have it fixed as it is still under warranty. Do you think we should take a shot or wait for another car. The Mazda dealer said that he gets MPV quite alot as trade-ins and we are not in a huge rush.
    Thanks Musicar
    I did my research by typing in "2002 Mazda MPV transmission failure". Change the model year and try the same. If you are seriously considering buying this vehicle, I would have the transmission fluid checked immediately for any shavings-ask to see the fluid. In my van, the rpm's went really high and the van lurched as well. I do love my MPV; I obviously was disappointed that the transmission went out at 67,000 miles.

Michelle
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    The MPV is not known to have the smoothest shifting transmission, but if you feel there is a problem with the transmission in the MPV you are looking at, I would pass on it and try to find another.
  • musicarmusicar Posts: 3
    Thank-you for your help. I am going to look at other MPVs as this one definitely had a problem. I will let you know when I get one. Musicar
    I just went my first round with Mazda on mine. Some rep I had emailed said that they could do "nothing for me" as my 2002 MPV with only 71,000 miles on it was "tremendously out of time of it's warranty."

I'm trying again, sending a letter to another place.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Unfortunately, they're right. Good luck.
    That is the same response that I received. I went to the Mazda dealership where I purchased the vehicle and insisted they contact a Mazda representative on my behalf...and they did. Mazda agreed to cover 50%. Keep pushing them.

Michelle
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Honda is covering transmission rebuilds on a lot of thier Ody's, the ones not under recall, with a lot more miles than embark has on his/her MPV.

People are complaining on the Ody board that Honda isn't helping on their 7 year old Ody, with 109,000 miles, transmission replacement.