Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy Chevy Envoy Fuel Gauge Problem

Comments

• azboomerazboomer Member Posts: 6
    I contacted Customer Service...through this FB page. First I was dealing with a Customer Service Rep in India, then the Phillipines, then finally I had a customer service rep in North America (note I didn't say the US. They want me to take the vehicle to a GMC dealer, pay upwards of $80 for a dignostic test...and then they will decide if they possible can help. I contacted the dealer...the service manager said "Ya GMC has refered probably 100 vehicles here for diagnostic for this exact problem and haven't help fix one of them." So I ask the customer service rep for a guarantee that if it was found to be a faulty fuel gauge/sensor that GMC would repair. The CSR said they couldn't guarantee anything even if it was found to be a manufacturer issue.
  • azboomerazboomer Member Posts: 6
    To the Customer Service Representatives..... Thanks for asking us all for our VIN numbers and contact information. Apparently this has been the standard reply for a good long while...over a few years as it appears. But I have yet to see ONE post where someone comes back and says WOW GMC Fixed my issue!!! I have seen repeated over and over posts of frustration. So you take my Vin Number and open a case (which has happened.) Then I get to talk with a GMC rep in India, the Phillipines, and finally the US. Still wil zero guarantee that this problem, a known problem, and reported problem, and acknowledged manufacturer defect is going to be fixed. So what gives....just be upfront with all of us and tell us GMC isn't going to fix the problem...and you're on your own. Good thing WE THE PEOPLE bailed out GMC. Really!!!
  • bryanmhafferbryanmhaffer Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let you all know that I worked with Christina and she informed me that GM is offering to cover 1/2 the cost of the fuel sensor replacement. I took my SUV into GM yesterday and they replaced the sensor at 50% off parts and labor. Considering I have driven the SUV for the past 7 years, I appreciate Christina and GM's offer to cover 1/2 the cost.

I do realize there are going to be many owners who expect GM to cover 100% of the cost but, things are going to wear out over time. While I agree that the sensor is most likely defective, it usually does take a significant amount of time for parts to wear out (most people complaints I have read have 70k miles or over on the vehicles).

Most dealers do not have the Special 10054 code in their systems yet. Christina called my dealer directly (after providing her with the information) and took care of everything!

Best,

Bryan
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Bryan,
    I am happy I could assist you! If you need anything you know how to contact me! Enjoy your week!!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    azboomer,
    Please take the time to check out the following link:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f1679/170

Now if you would like to email me your VIN I would be more than happy to look into your situation.
    Have a great day!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • darlynn4darlynn4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Bryan,

Just wondering what 1/2 the cost is? I can't afford a huge repair cost right now.
  • bamajamnbamajamn Member Posts: 5
    I took my 2006 Envoy Denali to my dealer. He said GM is allowing for the repair of the "Fuel Level Sensor" I took it in, it was repaired and the cost was $0!! When my FLS went out my engine light came on also. I ran the code check and got P0463 (Fuel Level Sensor). According to my dealer the Fuel level sensor is all GM is allowing them to repair. I suggest you check you code and take it to you local GM dealer. I have restored faith in GM, but it didn't come without some headaches.
    Good luck to the other 856,000 + problems out there.
  • darlynn4darlynn4 Member Posts: 2
    Wow! Now that would be awesome! I hope that my dealer is on board with this. Thanks so much! :D
    bamajamn,

Glad to hear the Fuel Level Sensor was replaced at no cost to you! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Caron, GM Customer Service
  • sunshine993sunshine993 Member Posts: 4
    I talked to my GM dealer in Riverside, CA and was told they have no knowledge of thisfree repair. They are aware of the sensors failure, but that is all. Do you know if GM will be sending out postcards to all of us who complained? Thanks for any assistance you can give me.
    Sunshine993
  • bamajamnbamajamn Member Posts: 5
    All my dealer (Royal GMC in B'ham, AL) said was GM was allowing them to repair the Fuel level sensor. As in GM will reimburse the dealer. He said it was not a recall, I got no card and doubt GM will send out anything. Maybe try another GM dealer and see. I was pretty shocked when my dealer said no charge!
    Good luck.
    sunshine993,
    Will you email me your VIN? I would like to look into this.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kpj325kpj325 Member Posts: 1
  • carters06envoycarters06envoy Member Posts: 1
    And here I thought I was the only one! 2006 GMC XL Envoy here. Stumbled across this discussion while looking for info on my fuse box to replace a fuse. We literally have to write down on paper exactly how much we put in the tank and when, because the fuel sensor, just says EMPTY all the time! Its crazy that u fill it up and literally 5 mins after, the light is on again! And like many here, money for repair is simply non-existent!

I am about to call our dealer right now and see if they know about fixing this. If not any help that I can get from this site would be a GODsend. We are lucky enough to live in an urban area where gas stations are prevalent...but I should NOT have to memorize where each and every gas station is within a 10 mile radius of my house, and calculate constantly if I have enough gas to make it there!
    I understand where you are coming from. I have had this problem since May 2011. I keep track of mileage by using my tripometer. If I have to go any distance, I set my gps to locate gas stations in the area. Don't want to run out of gas! Now that GM has said they will fix this, just need to wait for a notice from them.
    Sunshine992
    sunshine993,
    You don't have to wait for anything about the special coverage. Your dealer will be able to access the information through their resources with only your VIN. I recommend making an appointment. Have a great weekend! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    My VIN is 1GKDS13S262312417, Thank you, Christina.

Carmen N. (Sunshine992)
  • jenniferl29jenniferl29 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2005 Envoy Denali. At which, i was the very first owner AND the only driver. I have absolutely LOVED this vehicle from the very first day i purchased it and i have NEVER had any previous problems/issues. :) (I have treated this vehicle as if it were my child) . The vehicle was purchased in April 2006 with 36 miles and currently has 63,316 miles.
    Unfortunately, the warranty is currently expired. :(
    However, Today 8/26/2011 apprx 6:45am After refueling the fuel gauge began malfunctioning. :confuse: It would reflect the gas level as full then go directly to empty, to include displaying the empty gas indicator light. The owners manual did address this issue and suggests to reset the fuel cap and then after a few starts it should correct itself. However, this is and was not the simple fix it appeared to be in the manual. PLEASE ADVISE if this problem has been considered a recall or if there are options available to have this problem corrected? Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :cry: :sick:
  • nrthnvanrthnva Member Posts: 4
    There is much discussion on the internet concerning the erratic fuel gauge and it appears to be the fuel sensor. While the part may be less than $100, GMC labor rates will push the cost to well over $400.
    I had a 2000 Envoy which had the same problem but was fixed when I changed fuel cap. Not so with the 2006 and GMC will not accept responsibilty. I tried a bottle of Seafoam additive and it worked for about a day. If your issue just cropped up perhaps Seaform will catch yours early. I hear it's related to a corrosion issue on the sensor. Seafoam comes in a white bottle for about $8 at Walmart. Someone else suggested Techron Plus. I haven't tried that yet. If I can get the gauge to work just for just half a day I'm taking the truck to CarMax and dumping it. We won't be buying a third vehicle from GMC. I wanted the Acadia but GMC lost my business. Good Luck
  • jonnyringjonnyring Member Posts: 74
    A MIRACLE after all these years????

I do believe so????
    8-O
    We can only hope.
    nrthnva,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    jenniferl29,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with the fuel gauge. Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    sunshine993,
    Can you please email me your complete contact information, involved dealer and current mileage? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Click on gmcustsvc and e-mail that information..

Do not post personal information in the forums

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• gator32gator32 Member Posts: 3
    To remedy your problem you need to either take it in to a GMC dealer to replace the electronic gas tank float sensor or purchase the part online at GM Parts.com. If you decide to do the work yourself, you'll need to start with an almost empty gas tank. You'll have to drop the tank in order to get to the sensor to replace it. Personally, I purchased the part online then took it to a local mechanic I trusted. He did the work for $160.00. The total costs were about $250 including the sensor. The dealer quoted me over $500 to do the same job. I saved over $250 doing it my way. Enjoy!
  • gdejagdeja Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2005 envoy xl. Fuel gauge stays at e most of the time. Once in a while it will come off the E for a moment. Just finished talking to a dealer in Indiana and was told that on Aug 25th, they received info to cover 50% of "illegible" repairs to correct the problem. They would have to charge $95 diagnose charge up front that would be apply to the repair if I chose to have them do the work. They should be covering 100%! One thing that scares me is what they consider to be "illegible." One way or another they always seem to get extra $$$$$.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    eligible... I think.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lcaseylcasey Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 envoy xl with 54000 miles on it
    It's in great shape and I've been pretty lucky
    With repairs til now. My fuel gauge is below e all
    The time and never moves. As with everyone
    Else with this problem i was told to get the
    Sensor fixed. Now looking at the gas cap closer
    I have noticed the small piece of metal that is
    Missing before the gas hose enters the car. My cap
    Has issues also as far as staying on tight. With that
    Piece of metal missing I am assuming that the
    Gas is escaping and evaporating. It seems that this
    Problem is not random and that many people have
    The same problem with the gas cap/fuel gauge
    Why has their not been a recall to fix this obvious
    Flaw???? Lynn casey
    lcasey,

I would like to look further into your situation. Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • jessalid626jessalid626 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an used Envoy 4 days ago. While test driving, I noticed the fuel light was on. I suggested we stop for gas and the seller said not to worry because the Envoy has a large reserve tank. We purchased the vehicle and drove away with it showing 3/4 tank. I drove till it showed 1/4 and then pumped in $50 worth and drove away noticing the fuel gauge was on E. My husband took it to the car dealership (Honda) and they said they would cover half of the cost and we would be responsible for the rest. I've read on several other threads that GM is covering 1/2 the cost for repairs. Does this mean I can go ahead and have the dealership fix the issue for half the cost and GM will cover it, meaning $0 cost to me?
  • agentwolfeagentwolfe Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 envoy XUV, and it's not only my gas gauge, but also my speedometer that went out. When I took it to the dealer prob 2 years ago, they told me it was a $1700 fix. I refused to pay that so I've been dealing with it for 2 years, maybe even 3. I've sworn off owning another GM product because of the issue obviously being a defective product, but I may reconsider if what I'm reading is accurate. I'll be calling my dealer in Knoxville, TN today!
  • agentwolfeagentwolfe Member Posts: 2
    They told me it was a defective cluster, and a $350 dollar fix. I'm still frustrated with it, but it's better than 1700.
    Greetings GMC Customer Service. I'm not frustrated just disappointed. A few days after posting, the truck ran out of gas on the Fairfax County Parkway. I had switched to trip B to check distance someplace and forgot to switch back to trip A which I use to determine how much gas I might have left. Thanks to OnStar and their roadside assistance I only sat in the Irene rain for about 30 minutes. Anton from roadside assistance ROCKS!!!!! Hurricane Irene was a satisfying non-event west of DC despite the best efforts of our local Chicken Little weather forcasters. That's right bob ryan - YOU

The vin is 1GKET63M462310376 with a tad over 65.5k miles. Thanks for responding. These posts are getting entertaining. Randy
    You wish. A guy goes to the Farmer's Market for peaches. A farmer says, the more you buy the less they cost. The guy says keep loading the basket until they're free.

Shhhhhsssssshhh boom, thank youuuuuuuuu be sure to try the mayonnaise buffet I'll be here all week.
  • bickel89bickel89 Member Posts: 2
    Same problem! About a month ago my gas gauge on my '06 Envoy started with a mind of its own. It's either overfull or on E. I actually did run out of gas early on with the problem. Now I am sure to fill 'er up and watch the mileage. Funds are tight and I'm not looking forward to a huge repair bill on a simple repair. Does anyone know how much this costs and if there is a pending recall? My husband is somewhat handy, can it be fixed at home or is it a shop repair only? Also, GMC repair shop or local mechanic? Just looking for answers and fixes. Thanks!
  • specialk3511specialk3511 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Christina. Probably, like a lot of others, I'm somewhat confused. Is GMC covering 1/2 or the full cost of repairing the faulty sensor? Some of the forum readers have indicated their sensor was replaced at no cost. You've stated a 50/50 split. Is there some confusion between GMC and their dealers?
    My VIN is 1GKDT13S152386018 with 56K miles
  • profdataprofdata Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I have a 2004 GMC Envoy in excellent condition (except guages) which now has 100,000 miles. Found out a while back that my instrument cluster is acting up, the biggest problem is the temp guage,and now the fuel guage acts up now and then.

I googled it and found out is a well known problem that GMC just doesn't give a hoot about.

I found out the hard way about this problem. I was on the highway at 68 mph, when my temp guage went from regular temp to in the "red". I had to cross three lanes at traffic to get to the shoulder of the road. Had it towed to a repair shop only to find out it is the guage, and that GM knows of this problem.

THIS IS A SAFETY PROBLEM AND SHOULD BE A RECALL.

I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

Again this is total BULL.

I had a a 1981 toyota pu that had over 300,000 miles, no problems. I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner with 240,000 miles not one problem at all.

And they wonder why some don't buy U.S.
    specialk3511,
    GM’s coverage for this sensor is 50% of the cost. The dealer does have the option to pick up the remaining 50% of the bill. This is at the dealers’ discretion. I hope this information helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • autohelp3autohelp3 Member Posts: 4
    My 2006 Envoy fuel gauge is not working properly. I called the service dept and they told me it could be two things: instutment or the sensor. It'll cost about $500 or more. Is this right?
    autohelp3,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you email me your VIN? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Christina,

What is your email address? I will send my VIN to you. Thank you!
    bickel89,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    autohelp3,
    Click my user name and my email is listed. : )
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lcaseylcasey Member Posts: 2
    Hi Christina,

My VIN # is 1GKET16S856126059

I look forward to your response

Thank you
    Lynn Casey
  • heidibgheidibg Member Posts: 1
    I received the letter from GM yesterday regarding sharing the cost to repair the fuel gauge problem, but they're excluding vehicles that have over 120,000 miles on them. My 2005 Envoy has 180,000 miles. My fuel gauge has not worked for several years now, and I also paid on my own to have my speedometer replaced several years ago. Why is the mileage a factor in who gets help in paying for this repair? I typically keep my vehicles to around 240,000 miles. This is not fair.
    Christina,

I emailed my VIN of my car to you yesterday. Did you receive it?
  • bluphrogbluphrog Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Trailblazer and received my letter yesterday regarding the fuel level sensor wearing out. I questioned my dealership some time ago when my fuel sensor started malfunctioning and was told they didn't have any notices on it. Now I find out that they've known about this problem for years and that they're going to only pay for half of the cost to fix it. This is so frustrating. If the dealer has the option to pick up the remaining 50% of the bill, what determines whether or not the dealer chooses to do that?
    Christina,

Are you able to help me with my fuel gauge issue?
  • jonnyringjonnyring Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2011
    RE:"I questioned my dealership some time ago when my fuel sensor started malfunctioning and was told they didn't have any notices on it. Now I find out that they've known about this problem for years and that they're going to only pay for half of the cost to fix it."

This is a simple fact: Dealerships are for the most part, liars and thieves.
    It is sad, but it is true. I know many people who work for (or have worked for) dealerships and the stories I could tell you would make you so mad...well...let's not go there.
    My best advice to EVERYONE is buy a used car with low miles. Then find an HONEST,SMALL (Foreign) repair shop. Small honest repair shops do exist. It may take some time, but ask around to many "classic car" and older car owners. Ask them who works on their Classic or old beater? I also have many friends who work at these. These small "Ma & Pa" shops are "people person's". They understand people's financial situation's with the economy the way it is now. Dealerships have NO CLUE that people are struggling to make ends meet! You are a "person" at one of these, whereas you are a (vin) "NUMBER" at a Dealership.