Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Jimmy Chevy Envoy Fuel Gauge Problem

Comments

• jonnyringjonnyring Posts: 74
    edited May 2011
    by avalog
    May 13, 2011 (5:35 pm)
    "The dealership made it sound like this was a very unusual thing to happen."
    ***I know a master mechanic who quit working for 3 large Stealerships 'cause they wanted him to "pad" his hours and perform unneeded repairs or STRONGLY SUGGEST needed repairs. It was against his work ETHIC, so he QUIT. He now works out of his garage and is the most honest mechanic I know who will only fix what is needed and suggest other problem area's that will need repair within time, but not right now!

On another note...AROUND 1996, GM STARTED using DEX-COOL, the ORANGE antifreeze LIFETIME coolant. As a result, ..THE COOLANT WAS TURNING TO CLAY AND CLOGGING all the internal cooling passages where the antifreeze runs through. I have talked to mechanics at local "Mom & Pop" garages (GM Certified Mechanics would NEVER divulge this info.), who told me some engines were RUINED as the head gaskets (among other things) were clogged tighter than a bullfrogs @$$hole and overheating was usually the initial issue. Cylinder HeadS became warped (from overheating) and engines needed to be torn down to "unclog" the ORANGE gooey clay. The last time I talked to one, he said, "Well, we got another one in...ruined".
    When I heard of this...I immediately looked into my wife's 2000 GMC Envoy's radiator cap...sure enough..the coagulating process had begun!!! I flushed the engine for 3 hours and finally put the good ol' GREEN stuff in the cooling system. Never had a problem since. ASK GM ABOUT THAT NIGHTMARE AS WELL? tHEY'LL DENY IT.
    jonny
    8-)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    avalog,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please include a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    edited May 2011
    avalog,
    Please, for the love of any KIND human nature left, please follow through with
    Caron's (GM Customer Service) request to set up a case?
    Here is what she wrote and where you can find it:
    "#94 of 97 Re: fuel gauge problem? [avalog] by gmcustsvc
    May 19, 2011 (2:12 pm)
    Replying to: avalog (May 13, 2011 5:35 pm)
    avalog,
    I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please include a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I (as I'm sure everyone else here) would love to hear some "good" news from
    this reoccurring problem that is not considered a "Safety Issue".
    Now if Caron reads my post here, she may want you to keep to yourself regarding the case
    results. Why? Because if she helps you out in the most positive way possible, I can
    assure you her "inbox" will be FULL of other's who want (demand) the same
    treatment. I have already addressed my problem (year's ago) lying on my back performing
    the fuel sender swap myself and it has been fine ever since. I just don't wish that task
    upon anyone and would love to see GM resolve it for good!
    Therefore, you can email me personally by clicking on my name. My email will come up and
    you can copy & paste it into your email addressed to: "RECIPIENT".
    I truly look forward to hearing the results from you either in this forum or in my
    personal email.
    Thanks so much "avalog", perhaps we can finally come to a definitive
    conclusion as to where GM stands on this issue?
    Don't be a stranger....keep in touch and please "report back with your
    findings!"
    jonny
    8-)

Good news...I just re-read this entire post and found that ONE PERSON did get his fixed by GM at no cost (read below), so it might be worth responding to Caron?
    If she's no help, you might wanna get in contact with "wlay" below to see if he remembers EXACTLY where, who he called and what was said?

#28 of 97 GMC Envoy Fuel Gage Problem by wlay
    Mar 23, 2010 (10:43 am)
    Good News Guys - I had the problem with my 2006 Envoy - when I fill up the guage goes to empty and the fuel light comes on. I read on the Blog about the gage prolems and the fuel sensor problems with the envoy - got a number off the blog for GM Technical Service - Supprisingly - although I have 69,000 miles on the car - after a few hoops to go through in getting the problem officially diagnosed, GM AGREED TO PAY THE FULL COST TO REPARE THE FUEL SENSOR GAGUE, A JOB I PRICED AT $500. WAY TO GO GM FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING AND PROVIDING GREAT SERVICE.
  • I am so frustrated with GM and what they call their "Customer Service." I just called and talk to "Sarah" who was less than helpful. She says that she will put my info into the file, but I wonder if it is the circular file! When I was explaining the unhappiness with my gauge problem and quoting her some statistics, she was rushing me off the phone not wanting to hear anymore. Due to the "age of my vehicle and the mileage (78970)" there is nothing that GM can do to help me. Basically I need to suck it up and get it fixed at my own expense. The dealer here in California quoted me a price of $500 to $1000. Does anybody know where the NTSB is on this issue? And if I was to get it fixed, would GM have to reimburse me if the NTSB issued a recall on this? I ran out of gas once on a busy highway late at night. Thank God I have a friend close by and got some help in 10 to 15 mins. There is no way I could have stayed there much longer as it was not in the best part of town!!!
    sunshine992,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with your case number? I would like to look into your situation further. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina
    I'm having the same problem with my 2005 Envoy, purchased for my wife. Same story as sunshine992. Though fuel tank is full, the gauge remains on empty, with the low fuel light on. She's not happy with having to try and estimate fuel level with the tripometer, and scared to death of running out of gas while transporting our granddaughter all over. Dealership claims $600-$1000 to repair. Any chance of some assitance with our predicament?
  • krinzkrinz Posts: 2
    Christina,
    My 2007 Envoy Denali is having the same problem with its fuel gauge. I would appreciate any assistance with this matter that you could provide. Thanks!!
    Good luck. You're gonna need it.
    I hope to be proven wrong.
    billflshmn,
    I apologize for your concerns. Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    krinz,
    Have you had the vehicle into the dealer? If not, that would be your 1st step. Can you please email me with your VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina,
    I was not given a case number - just a snotty attitude from Sarah, the customer representative.

Carmen N (sunshine992)
  • nikko10nikko10 Posts: 1
    I went to my GM dealer they told me that because it's not a safety issue that there would not be a recall on my 06 Envoy . So as we speak my gas tank is sitting on my garage floor and the fuel level sensor is changed ( $250.00 dollars for the sensor) also found that my fuel pressure sensor was broken so there goes probably another $150.00 . plus my time . hope GM gets this figured out and maybe I can re-coupe some money
    ".....plus my time . hope GM gets this figured out and maybe I can re-coupe some money"

Good luck with that. You're gonna need it.
    I hope to be proven wrong.
    This have been going on for 5+ years now!!
    Only ONE person in this thread was helped...out of how many people who've posted here?
  • I am still driving around with my tripometer telling me my mileage. I think it is time for us to go to one of the news channels. I am going to try to reach one in the LA area, probably Channel 4. They do awesome investigations on things like this. People need to know what GM is NOT doing. As a single 60 yr old woman I put my trust into GM and the safety of their vehicles. I drive everywhere and sometimes have my grandkids. Don't want to unexpectedly run out of fuel somewhere. If anyone on this thread has contacted a TV station, please let me know as I can forward the info to one of LA's investigative reporters.
    Carmen
    Carmen,
    Can you please email me your contact information so I can look this up? I apologize for your experience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • absolutegabsoluteg Posts: 5
    Seriously Christina? SOOOO many people have complained about this, including me...I had an earlier post this year...about running out of gas with my two kids in the vehicle on a major highway. And now that someone threatens to take this to the news channel you want to help?

you want to help???? make this a known issue and fix it for everyone!! i had to spend close to $1,000 total to get this fixed...which included a ruined throttle body which is now failing me again. Put out a service bulletin and get this resolved for everyone!!! Don't pick and choose and hope that fixing this for one person keeps it quite!

You have just solidified the fact that i will never buy another GMC vehicle! Thanks!
  • kellypwskellypws Posts: 2
    Christina
    I appreciate that you want to help but it seems this is a major problem for a lot of GMC owners. My fuel gauge stopped working a few months back on my Envoy 2007. I had to have it fixed and it cost $700. I'm an outside sales person and drive hundreds of miles a week. There was no way I was going to guess my mileage, it needed to be fixed. Of course the guage is not covered under warranty. Shocking?!?! I haven't had time to post for a while but this is something GMC needs to address. I'm almost ready for a new car and even though I believe in buying American I'm getting tired of bringing my car in every time something goes wrong even if it's covered under the warranty. My electronic driver seat has gone out twice also. Once under warranty and the other time it was not. I had to change the motor on it. My car is only 4 years old!!
    I'm glad I went on this web site so I know that I'm not the only one having problems.
    absoluteg,
    The only posts I see from you are from August 16 of last year. I apologize I didn't start on this forum until December. If you would like to email me with more information I would be happy to look into your situation further.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited June 2011
    Give it rest Christina! Can't you see we're ALL fed up with your rhetorical BS????
    Do what he (absoluteg) asks and stop asking.."Have you brought your car to a Stealer?"..."Can I have your VIN?...I can make a case # for you...blah, blah blah, blah, blah blah."

I have tried to stop posting here as I fixed my car myself awhile ago....but I'm so sick & tired of different GM Cust.Serv. Reps chiming in asking for a VIN!

[non-permissible content removed] or get off the pot for Chrissakes!!!!!!!!!

STEVER....DON'T DELETE MY POST PLEASE....THESE "Customer Service Reps" are getting PAID to do nothing!!! We as Americans are sick of big business walking all over us, and appeasing us. How many here have gotten all excited that someone actually SEEMED concerned about their problem? How many have been actually helped?
    Oh no,,,,,I'm feeling nauseous again......
    edited June 2011
    jonnyring,
    Glad to hear you were able to fix your concerns your self. What is it that customers want? Some want recalls formed, others want help for the dealer to fix the concerns. So, with this said, I ask for the VIN to see if there are any open recalls on the vehicle and the type of repair history the vehicle has had. I set up these cases to report the problem to GM, how else do you think GM hears of your concerns? These cases can help to show an idea of how many customers are experiencing a problem, which could help start a recall, or if this is a recurring problem. On to my next point, customers that report there concerns and experience with GM through these cases have documentation for if a recall is formed after they have paid to have it addressed. With this documentation, if the vehicle was fixed at an authorized GM dealer, the customer could then submit for reimbursement.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service