Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy Chevy Envoy Fuel Gauge Problem

Comments

• nrthnvanrthnva Member Posts: 4
    Sooooooooo what's the poop? Will anything come of this other than everyone stop buying GMC? Not good PR I say. If GM would address these serious safety issues they wouldn't have to close dealerships due to lack of sales. I bought two Envoys from Farrish GMC of Fairfax, Va. before the were shuttered. I think it's a Hyundai store now. They have nice cars.....
  • bickel89bickel89 Member Posts: 2
    Christina,

I have sent you an email through the GMC customer service link with my VIN. If you need additional information or use another method to communicate please let me know. Thank you.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    autohelp3,
    Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    lcasey,
    Your vehicle has a special coverage for the fuel level sensor. I advise speaking with your dealer for more information. :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    heidibg,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with you VIN, involved dealer, current mileage, and complete contact information? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • specialk3511specialk3511 Member Posts: 2
    FYI, after reading this forum and getting some advice from Christina, I called the local GMC dealer who, after checking their system, agreed GMC would pick up 50% of the cost. I took my Envoy in this morning and this evening picked it up with a repaired sensor. I live in San Jose, CA, one of the highest cost areas in the country and my portion of the bill was $188.46.
    It's quite a coincidence that when I got home there was a letter in the mail from GMC informing of the fuel sensor problem and their willingness to pay 50% of repair cost (if less than 10yrs/120k miles). GMC also included a Request for Reimbursement form for those folks who previously paid for the repair.
  • rickydonrickydon Member Posts: 4
    :mad: I can't belive what this has done to my family. we got stuck on hov in houston tx in the dead heat of summer 110 degress not including the heat index. And it was rush hr traffic
    It took tow truck driver to get to us 2 1/2 hr with my 4 yr old in back seat and me being disabled with heart health problems did not help. I ended up after all this in hospital because it was so hot.my poor son was in tears thank god he didn't suffer heat exhaushtion. I tryed to get this fixed many time but for somereason they could not detect the problem until it was to late now after getting so many false diagnois and spending money on wrong things we still have a huge costly problem. ugg I thought i bought American made cause. we are suppose to be proud of our production. smh.
    I can't belive what this has done to my family we got stuck on hov in houston tx in the dead heat of summer 110 degress not including the heat index. And it was rush hr traffic it was rush hr traffic It took tow truck driver to get to us 2 1/2 hr with my 4 yr old in back seat and me being disabled with heart health problems did not help. I ended up after all this in hospital because it was so hot.my poor son was in tears thank god he didn't suffer heat exhaushtion. I tryed to get this fixed many time but for somereason they could not detect the problem until it was to late now after getting so many false diagnois and spending money on wrong things we still have a huge costly problem. ugg I thought i bought American made cause. we are suppose to be proud of our production :mad: :lemon:
  • jonnyringjonnyring Member Posts: 74
    Thank God you are okay.....I mean "alive"!! You could have been the first victim as an indirect (or direct?) result of this fuel level sender issue!
    I'm sure you are not the first who has had a similar experience.
    As I stated earlier in this thread:
    "it is a SAFETY Issue! My wife, out of gas against a Jersey Barrier in the fast lane on I-95 during rush hour, is a SAFETY ISSUE!"
    I foresaw it coming and it happened to YOU!
    Too bad there is no recourse for your hospital bills? i wish you all the best.
    I have started a pettion if you would like to sign it let me know
    nrthnva,
    If you are experiencing concerns please feel free to email me your VIN, information, and a description of your experience. I look forward to speaking with you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Well, that "recall" will only help a fraction of those affected. It states:

"The vehicles affected are Chevy Trailblazers, GMC Envoys and Buick Rainiers produced between 2005 and 2007."

My wife's 2000 Envoy had the same problem, so it's not just 2005 and 2007 models!! It effects at least 2000 thru 2007....much more than they admit to. Where the heck do they get their information????
  • purdyjo100purdyjo100 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 envoy denali i am having the same problem as others with the fuel gauge out and the a/c unit no longer blows out air from the front vents, nor does the heat. is there a recall on these issues. i am at my wits end with these problems. please help!!!!!
    purdyjo100,

Could you please email us your VIN and current mileage? We would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • purdyjo100purdyjo100 Member Posts: 4
    Caron,

I am sending you my vin. # it is 1GKET66M266111010 and the current milage is
    96,000. and also the vents in front for the a/c and the heating does not work.
    is there recall on theses issues???

Thank You for your concern
    Joanne
  • notpinktrucknotpinktruck Member Posts: 5
    Hello-I just wanted to report that I got my letter from GM the other day, called the dealer, and they fixed it today. I agree it is shameful that GM is only covering half this cost, only for vehicles under 120K miles, and only years 05-07. However, I am so tired of using my trip-o-meter as a fuel gauge that I will happily pay the $140, be on my way, and not likely to purchase a GM product again. (Considering this is not the only problem I've had---anyone else's vehicle kicking the dreaded P0410 engine code??) :confuse: :lemon:
    Joanne,
    Thank you, we have received your email. We are looking into this for you and will email you back shortly. :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • scottyrockscottyrock Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2011
    I received a letter today from GMC General Director Jim Moloney (Customer & Relationship Services), it states that GMC will pay for 50% of costs to replace the defected fuel lever sensor in my 2005 Envoy XL!

I am going to ask my local Dealership if I can buy my own sensor (lots cheaper than dealer, $76+ S&H) and let GMC replace it, and just pay for 50% of labor..Ill be glad to have my fuel guage working properly again!!

Thanks Mr. Moloney, Caron, Christina and all GMC customer service employees!!!

Found part for my 2005 Envoy XL 4.2L for Great Price on Drivewire, hope this helps someone!!!
    (AC Delco fuel sending unit part for $ 76)

http://www.drivewire.com/search/?Ntt=fuel+sending+unit&=&N=0&uts=true&t_event=tr- - - ue
  • krinzkrinz Member Posts: 2
    Don't get me wrong. I am happy that GM has finally stepped up and is now paying half the price of what it costs to fix this problem. However, by doing so they have acknowledged these are not isolated incidents. (which we already knew) There is a major problem with their cars and they should be paying for the full repair. They are making this insufficient offer to quiet those of us complaining on this forum instead of issuing a much more costly recall. I still can't afford to have my gas gauge fixed. My 2007 Envoy doesn't even have 50,000 miles.
    edited September 2011
    You wrote:"I am going to ask my local Dealership if I can buy my own sensor (lots cheaper than dealer, $76+ S&H) and let GMC replace it, and just pay for 50% of labor.."

I truely wish you good luck with that! Dealers markup on parts is usually 300%.

My friend had a Snaab 9000 where the fuel pump crapped out. I called a SNaab dealer and they want $495 for a replacement pump assembly! hahahahah...I bought the Bosch fuel pump only for $69 and replaced it myself.
    This is how Stealerships operate. They'd install an entire pump assy. and charge you $495 plus labor, plus tax. They'd drop the exhaust to drop the fuel tank to do it when all you have to do is pop the rear seat and enlarge the hole that accesses the pump. (These particular cars had a pump access hole but it is located on the opposite side of where the pump actually is....about 6" away). Had my friend brought the car to the Stealership...he would have paid close to $1000.00 to have this done. I did it for $69 and it took me all of 2 hours(?) tops?
    This is why you all need to stay away from Stealerships and find small local "Ma & Pa" shops that are HONEST with low overhead!
    I've seen this over and over again. Stealership wanted $800-$900 to replace pump/sender on my wife's 2000 Envoy. I did that myself for $68 (that's when the senders were cheaper a few years ago).
    I don't want to give Dealerships a bad rap...wait...yes, I do want to give them a bad rap because it is the absolute truth and i've witnessed it EVERYTIME I got off the phone with them. They are ALL liars, theives & cheats with high overhead to cover and markup all parts 300%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt they will take you up on your "offer", but as i said "Good luck"! Please respond with your results. I would love to see ONE Stealership actually "work with someone"? I bet they tell you that option is NOT included in the recall. Prove me wrong!!!!
    scottyrock,
    You are very welcome! If you have any further questions comments or concerns, you know how to get a hold of us. Enjoy your weekend! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited September 2011
    You wrote: "I purchased the part online then took it to a local mechanic I trusted. He did the work for $160.00. The total costs were about $250 including the sensor. The dealer quoted me over $500 to do the same job. I saved over $250 doing it my way"

This is what I've been trying to tell EVERYONE to do!
    Stay away from the Stealership if you're out of warranty!
    Do exactly as above if you can't do it yourself!
    I did it myself for $68
  • acomat05acomat05 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Ms Caron,

My name is Melvin Acosta from Hope Mills NC, I own a 2005 Isuzu Ascender and as well as they other guys here in the forum I have had the same problem. I know the vehicle is branded Isuzu but everything is GM inside and was hoping you can help me as well solve the issue as it started going intermittent around the 70K miles and I now have 131K.

I have included my VIN number hoping since this is a GM issue/faulty part installed during production that you can help me out before I deploy at the end of October.

My VIN 4NUET16S656702523

Thanks a bunch
    Ranger Mel
  • pjstewartpjstewart Member Posts: 3
    i also have a fuel level sensor issue... i have had this issue for 5 months. The level constantly reads empty, the sensor chimes empty, and the light is constantly lit for empty. We have had to carefully drive according to mileage so that we don't run out of fuel. This issue has been MOST frustrating especially as a mom on the go with kids, lessons and errands and a job. I am fearful most of running out of fuel on the interstate and being rear-ended!!

We have researched it to try to repair it ourselves, but had reconciled that it needed to go to the dealership. We were not looking forward to that because in past experience we don't have much trust the integrity of dealerships.

Before i could make an appt. a letter arrived in the mail from GMC acknowledging the issue. As i continued reading, the letter stated that GMC would only pay for 50% of the repairs! I called the hotline and was told that it was not a "safety" issue... um... correct me if i am wrong but isn't a fuel level sensor standard operating equipment included on all vehicles on the road...

i asked then approximately how much my 50% portion would be, the agent called my local dealership on my behalf and came back on the line to report that my portion would be $200!! I asked if GMC would stand behind their vehicles and pay the entire amount, i was told "NO"

I am questioning that if so many incidents have been finally reported and that GMC acknowledges this malfunction WHY then are they not simply recalling the faulty part?

My GMC Envoy XUV has less than 64000 miles on it... I would think that a fuel sensor or any part should last longer than this...

I ask... is it a ploy to boost revenues the last quarters of 2011 for dealerships??

What is a next step in fighting this injustice?

PJ Stewart
    The "next step in fighting this injustice" is to go back and read page 17(?) of this thread. It states:
    "file a complaint with the Dept of Transportation, since they are in the process of investigating this issue. You can file the form quickly and easily here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/"

Other than that, you are just outta luck!
    In regards to a "Safety Issue"...yes, this has been touched on before in this thread as well.
    As far as your "we don't have much trust the integrity of dealerships." :
    "Trust" & "integity"...that's an oxymoron when it comes to Stealerships. They have ZERO "integrity" & you can "trust" them as far as you can (pick up the Service Dept. employee &) throw 'em!!!!
  • pjstewartpjstewart Member Posts: 3
    i did file a complaint with the nhtsa... i am hoping that others will do the same and we can get this case re-opened.
  • lfniclfnic Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Were you be able to fix it? I went to the dealer and they want to charge me $365.00 after the 50% off. This is too much for me too. Is there anything else we can do? I'm calculating all my mileage and my sensor is still dead. Here it's where i added my post. The more, the better.
    http://www.carcomplaints.com/GMC/Envoy/2005/fuel_delivery_system/fuel_level_sens- or_failure.shtml

Let me know.
  • mikejp20mikejp20 Member Posts: 8
    Wow!! Still can't believe the manufacturer will not own up to this crap. I have a 2005 GMC envoy and it's been a nightmare. I have made sure all of my coworkers and family members know not to buy anything related to this product. I just fixed the AC, not blowing air out of the front vents... the dealership quoted me $717, NOT! I found the part I needed online for 40 bucks and did it myself in 30 minutes with the help of the online bloggers and their quotes...THANK YOU!! Now to the instrument cluster panel... the Dealership is quoting me $535 parts and labor...NOT!! I will find a site online that I'm showing it can be done for about 100 bucks or less... the sad thing about it is the dealership is going to do the same thing and send the cluster panel to an outside agency to make the repair, so the only thing they can charge you for is removing the four screws out of your panel, to remove and reinstall once they receive the panel, this whole thing sounds like an organized criminal act and definitely sounds like it should be investigated. After I complete this mission I will check back in with you guys but good luck to everyone!
    edited October 2011
    "After I complete this mission I will check back in with you guys but good luck to everyone!"

Run your tank dry. Jack up driver's side. Loosen tank straps. Lower tank slightly to gain access to fuel lines on TOP. Disconnect
    lines. Drop tank. Remove pump/sender assy. Unclip & unplug wires on bad sender. Clip in and plug in wires on new sender. Re-install tank. Sender was $68, 5(?) ago from RockAuto.com.
    jonny
    (OO==[00]==OO)
    8-)
    Wow! That is very low mileage, and you are correct it should be a 100% covered recall because it is such a widespread defective part.
    Exactly! I just removed and replaced the tank and fuel sending unit in my 88 IROC and bought the parts for $240(New tank and Unit), so I guess Ill repair my Envoy myself too..
    edited October 2011
    Yes, they said(Local GMC Dealership) they would allow me to buy my own part, because they do charge entirely too much for such a low priced part and it is an AC-Delco part that I bought.

The Chevy dealership wanted $600 for the part and labor, I said OK Ill just get it myself,I bought it for $86(88 Chevy IROC), but my Chevy manager friend did suggest for me to find the part cheaper, but I do know them personally and I was just curious about their cost..

I just changed the tank and fuel-sending unit in my 88 IROC myself, and the Chevy place has always let me buy my own parts but again I do know them personally....and since I have some more time I will more than likely go ahead and replace the unit in my 2005 Envoy myself. Im a mechanic anyway and it was actually fun and not difficult at all to change in my IROC...Oh, I did not get the price for the GMC labor cost ,but I will and post later..

I apologize I havent replied sooner..

Its like you said buy the part cheap online and do it yourself or take to a lower priced mechanic! But they have always let me buy my own Chevy parts,its just I dont know the GMC guys as well as the Chevy guys, but they seem to want to work the same way with me, and I thought that was pretty cool if I decided to go that route..
    Thanks Christina!
  • chelios7chelios7 Member Posts: 3
    Add me to the loooooooooooooong list of people this issue has affected. I have a 2005 Envoy with 120k on it but I've been dealing with this problem for 3 years. I paid to have have a diagnostics test ran it back then and the repair I was given an estimate on was about $400. I said no way, I'll just deal with it which I have. It is very annoying and I fill up the tank more often because of it just to be certain I don't run out of gas.

I got the GM letter last month and was completely DISGUSTED at their lowball offer of 50%. They come out and admit it is a faulty part they are installing but won't do anything to fix it? How crappy is that? Totally changes my view on GM cars. NEVER again will I buy one. If they can't stand behind their vehicles and the parts they install at the factory, then they don't deserve my business. Funny thing is we've been shopping for new cars for my wife and she LOVES the Acadia. That's probably what we were going to buy, but you can forget that now!

Hope you are happy GM, it's pretty clear you could care less about your customers. Your 50% offer is a slap in the face, do the right thing and fix this faulty part you installed in your cars!
  • lyndallyndal Member Posts: 2
    I called GMC customer service dept. today, I was advice to take my truck to the dealership to have it check. I told the rep. that I know the problem is, I don't need to go there just to hand money over. I thought I would get some kind of satisfaction knowing that I spend $35,000 for a GMC truck. There's no recall, if everyone call the 800#, maybe we can get some satisfaction.
    The number is 1-800-462-8782 PS: Year 2004 should be included in the investigation
    lyndal,

Could you please email Christina your case number? We would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    chelios7,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with your contact information and VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Lyndal thanks for sharing all i got was take your paper work 2 dealership and they will give me reimbersment check still have not gotten my money and the manger told me he was not going to give me my whole amount paid ugg that he wasent going yo pay for diagnosis wth here i spend my gas money and time and get the run around . Im a very sick person with lots of health issuses and GM does this ugg :sick: :mad: :lemon: :lemon:
  • michael79michael79 Member Posts: 21
    i was always told that when they build a car they use the cheapest stuff they can find and hope it makes it pass warrenty. they got you, mine lasted until 165,000 then it didn't give the level anymore so every 85 miles i put in 20 bucks. depends on the price for that day.
  • canuckmancanuckman Member Posts: 1
    This is appalling. And they wonder why people stop buying GM Products and turn to foreign models.

I too own a 2000 GMC Jimmy. The fuel gauge problem started around the 100,000 click mark and I too have had to rely on the trip meter, so I know when to fill up. Like yours, my gauge reads full when the tank is filled, but then remains around half a tank when I am running close to empty.

Now my Flasher Relay unit is clicking when signals are not in use. This appears to be a multi-function switch problem which has also plagued this model. The multi-function switch has also been the subject of one recall and can result in stop lamps and rear hazard lamps becoming inoperative.

I am in the process of looking for a new car, but it won't be a GM. l now have to try to get these problems fixed before I can even look at selling the vehicle. I am totally disenchanted with GM. These should take responsibility for fixing these design flaws.
  • gfp3gfp3 Member Posts: 2
    If you guys at GM cant do any better than 50% of the cost to replace the known defective unit, can you send the replacement part out at no cost to one of your soon to not be loyal customers? My VIN # is 1GKDS13S152160435
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for posting your VIN - there aren't any open recalls on your vehicle at this time. Have you already worked with Customer Service? Do you have an SR#? Please email us more information (name/user name, contact information, and the name of your involved dealership).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gfp3gfp3 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for responding, I received a letter from you guys regarding the faulty fuel level sensor. It states that you would only cover 50% of the cost to replace the defective unit. I have not worked with a dealership yet and was wanting to repair the problematic part myself due to the cost of labor being more than double the cost of the part itself.
    Do not buy your part from gmpartsdirect.com .
    You are only putting more money in their pockets.
    i would suggest Rockauto.com.
    Cheapest of anyone.
    I bought mine there for my 2000 Envoy. Has worked fine for 8 years!!!
  • jwindsorjwindsor Member Posts: 1
    My wifes Envoy has started to become an absolute nightmare. The first thing that went wrong was the dome light quit working when the door opened(but will come on when the fob is used), then the headlights started to go out(beating the hell out of the housing makes it work again), then the check 4wd light came on(the car must be turned off, switch set then turn the key back on and you can hear the 4wd engage), then the check engine light came on(no real reason that I can find), and the latest problem-the blower motor wont shut off. It kills the battery all the time now. Also, today I was jumping the car with a jump box and after the car started I let go of the key, and the car continued to crank. Oddly enough it didn't continue to crank until the starter ground just a few extra turns while it fired up. Oh, and the car wont start now unless you feather the gas and/or put the gas pedal to the floor.
    I have been told by some independents the cluster can be the cause, or the BCM. I have read on here everyones problems, but have ye to find a post that has this much stuff going on at the same time. PLEASE HELP!!!!
  • rosie32rosie32 Member Posts: 1
    I have also had problems with the gas gauge. It's stuck on empty. We also have many electrical issues with this car. Over the last week or so, when I am in the middle of a turn the car just stops. Like the wheels just stop but the car is still on. And when I press the gas it won't go. I have to turn the car off and then back on in order to finish turning. VERY dangerous if I am turing out into traffic and the car stops.
    Electrical issues can be a nightmare and an expensive headache. Sounds like another :lemon: to me?

Fix it (bite the bullet) and unload that :lemon: as fast as you can!!
    Trade it in (while it still has value) on an off lease vehicle of a different brand, but still made in America?
    An off lease usually has 35K mi. on 'em so most of the bugs have been taken care of. And, it has been maintained by the dealer (required).

My wife's 2000 Envoy with 160k has a value of $4500!!! I don't recall if that's trade-in or private party? But yours is a 2006? It's gotta have a much higher value than my wife's? Your problems could just be the tip of the iceberg!!!
  • jhawkintxjhawkintx Member Posts: 1
    My Jimmy recently failed an emmissions inspection due to the O2 sensor. Is this something that is repairable by the home mechanic?
    edited November 2011
    Yes. The 02 sensor is located in the exhaust system (piping). Look for a large welded on "nut'" (located on exhaust pipe) with a couple of wires coming off of it. This "nut" is usually located before the catalytic convertor or sometimes on the side of the Cat. 'vertor.
    Unplug the wires that come off this 'nut". Next, slip a box wrench over the wires (plug end) and onto the "nut". I suggest using a 6 point box wrench so you don't strip out the nut/wrench mating surface area. If the wiring harness (plug in end) will not fit through the hole in the box wrench....use a flare nut wrench. Unscrew the 02 sensor. Screw in NEW sensor. Hook up wires.
    Done.
    Be sure to install (smear) new sensor's threads with NEVER-SIEZE...a graphite high heat lubricant.!!!! This usually comes with the NEW 02 sensor.