Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Jimmy Chevy Envoy Fuel Gauge Problem

Comments

• I purchased an used Envoy 4 days ago. While test driving, I noticed the fuel light was on. I suggested we stop for gas and the seller said not to worry because the Envoy has a large reserve tank. We purchased the vehicle and drove away with it showing 3/4 tank. I drove till it showed 1/4 and then pumped in $50 worth and drove away noticing the fuel gauge was on E. My husband took it to the car dealership (Honda) and they said they would cover half of the cost and we would be responsible for the rest. I've read on several other threads that GM is covering 1/2 the cost for repairs. Does this mean I can go ahead and have the dealership fix the issue for half the cost and GM will cover it, meaning $0 cost to me?
  • I have an 05 envoy XUV, and it's not only my gas gauge, but also my speedometer that went out. When I took it to the dealer prob 2 years ago, they told me it was a $1700 fix. I refused to pay that so I've been dealing with it for 2 years, maybe even 3. I've sworn off owning another GM product because of the issue obviously being a defective product, but I may reconsider if what I'm reading is accurate. I'll be calling my dealer in Knoxville, TN today!
  • They told me it was a defective cluster, and a $350 dollar fix. I'm still frustrated with it, but it's better than 1700.
  • Greetings GMC Customer Service. I'm not frustrated just disappointed. A few days after posting, the truck ran out of gas on the Fairfax County Parkway. I had switched to trip B to check distance someplace and forgot to switch back to trip A which I use to determine how much gas I might have left. Thanks to OnStar and their roadside assistance I only sat in the Irene rain for about 30 minutes. Anton from roadside assistance ROCKS!!!!! Hurricane Irene was a satisfying non-event west of DC despite the best efforts of our local Chicken Little weather forcasters. That's right bob ryan - YOU

The vin is 1GKET63M462310376 with a tad over 65.5k miles. Thanks for responding. These posts are getting entertaining. Randy
  • You wish. A guy goes to the Farmer's Market for peaches. A farmer says, the more you buy the less they cost. The guy says keep loading the basket until they're free.

Shhhhhsssssshhh boom, thank youuuuuuuuu be sure to try the mayonnaise buffet I'll be here all week.
  • Same problem! About a month ago my gas gauge on my '06 Envoy started with a mind of its own. It's either overfull or on E. I actually did run out of gas early on with the problem. Now I am sure to fill 'er up and watch the mileage. Funds are tight and I'm not looking forward to a huge repair bill on a simple repair. Does anyone know how much this costs and if there is a pending recall? My husband is somewhat handy, can it be fixed at home or is it a shop repair only? Also, GMC repair shop or local mechanic? Just looking for answers and fixes. Thanks!
  • Hi Christina. Probably, like a lot of others, I'm somewhat confused. Is GMC covering 1/2 or the full cost of repairing the faulty sensor? Some of the forum readers have indicated their sensor was replaced at no cost. You've stated a 50/50 split. Is there some confusion between GMC and their dealers?
    My VIN is 1GKDT13S152386018 with 56K miles
  • profdataprofdata Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I have a 2004 GMC Envoy in excellent condition (except guages) which now has 100,000 miles. Found out a while back that my instrument cluster is acting up, the biggest problem is the temp guage,and now the fuel guage acts up now and then.

I googled it and found out is a well known problem that GMC just doesn't give a hoot about.

I found out the hard way about this problem. I was on the highway at 68 mph, when my temp guage went from regular temp to in the "red". I had to cross three lanes at traffic to get to the shoulder of the road. Had it towed to a repair shop only to find out it is the guage, and that GM knows of this problem.

THIS IS A SAFETY PROBLEM AND SHOULD BE A RECALL.

I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

Again this is total BULL.

I had a a 1981 toyota pu that had over 300,000 miles, no problems. I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner with 240,000 miles not one problem at all.

And they wonder why some don't buy U.S.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,084
    specialk3511,
    GM’s coverage for this sensor is 50% of the cost. The dealer does have the option to pick up the remaining 50% of the bill. This is at the dealers’ discretion. I hope this information helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • My 2006 Envoy fuel gauge is not working properly. I called the service dept and they told me it could be two things: instutment or the sensor. It'll cost about $500 or more. Is this right?
    autohelp3,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you email me your VIN? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Christina,

What is your email address? I will send my VIN to you. Thank you!
    bickel89,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    autohelp3,
    Click my user name and my email is listed. : )
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi Christina,

My VIN # is 1GKET16S856126059

I look forward to your response

Thank you
    Lynn Casey
  • I received the letter from GM yesterday regarding sharing the cost to repair the fuel gauge problem, but they're excluding vehicles that have over 120,000 miles on them. My 2005 Envoy has 180,000 miles. My fuel gauge has not worked for several years now, and I also paid on my own to have my speedometer replaced several years ago. Why is the mileage a factor in who gets help in paying for this repair? I typically keep my vehicles to around 240,000 miles. This is not fair.
  • Christina,

I emailed my VIN of my car to you yesterday. Did you receive it?
  • I have a 2006 Trailblazer and received my letter yesterday regarding the fuel level sensor wearing out. I questioned my dealership some time ago when my fuel sensor started malfunctioning and was told they didn't have any notices on it. Now I find out that they've known about this problem for years and that they're going to only pay for half of the cost to fix it. This is so frustrating. If the dealer has the option to pick up the remaining 50% of the bill, what determines whether or not the dealer chooses to do that?
  • Christina,

Are you able to help me with my fuel gauge issue?
  • jonnyringjonnyring Posts: 74
    edited September 2011
    RE:"I questioned my dealership some time ago when my fuel sensor started malfunctioning and was told they didn't have any notices on it. Now I find out that they've known about this problem for years and that they're going to only pay for half of the cost to fix it."

This is a simple fact: Dealerships are for the most part, liars and thieves.
    It is sad, but it is true. I know many people who work for (or have worked for) dealerships and the stories I could tell you would make you so mad...well...let's not go there.
    My best advice to EVERYONE is buy a used car with low miles. Then find an HONEST,SMALL (Foreign) repair shop. Small honest repair shops do exist. It may take some time, but ask around to many "classic car" and older car owners. Ask them who works on their Classic or old beater? I also have many friends who work at these. These small "Ma & Pa" shops are "people person's". They understand people's financial situation's with the economy the way it is now. Dealerships have NO CLUE that people are struggling to make ends meet! You are a "person" at one of these, whereas you are a (vin) "NUMBER" at a Dealership.
  • Sooooooooo what's the poop? Will anything come of this other than everyone stop buying GMC? Not good PR I say. If GM would address these serious safety issues they wouldn't have to close dealerships due to lack of sales. I bought two Envoys from Farrish GMC of Fairfax, Va. before the were shuttered. I think it's a Hyundai store now. They have nice cars.....
  • Christina,

I have sent you an email through the GMC customer service link with my VIN. If you need additional information or use another method to communicate please let me know. Thank you.
    autohelp3,
    Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    lcasey,
    Your vehicle has a special coverage for the fuel level sensor. I advise speaking with your dealer for more information. :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    heidibg,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with you VIN, involved dealer, current mileage, and complete contact information? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • FYI, after reading this forum and getting some advice from Christina, I called the local GMC dealer who, after checking their system, agreed GMC would pick up 50% of the cost. I took my Envoy in this morning and this evening picked it up with a repaired sensor. I live in San Jose, CA, one of the highest cost areas in the country and my portion of the bill was $188.46.
    It's quite a coincidence that when I got home there was a letter in the mail from GMC informing of the fuel sensor problem and their willingness to pay 50% of repair cost (if less than 10yrs/120k miles). GMC also included a Request for Reimbursement form for those folks who previously paid for the repair.
  • :mad: I can't belive what this has done to my family. we got stuck on hov in houston tx in the dead heat of summer 110 degress not including the heat index. And it was rush hr traffic
    It took tow truck driver to get to us 2 1/2 hr with my 4 yr old in back seat and me being disabled with heart health problems did not help. I ended up after all this in hospital because it was so hot.my poor son was in tears thank god he didn't suffer heat exhaushtion. I tryed to get this fixed many time but for somereason they could not detect the problem until it was to late now after getting so many false diagnois and spending money on wrong things we still have a huge costly problem. ugg I thought i bought American made cause. we are suppose to be proud of our production. smh.
  • I can't belive what this has done to my family we got stuck on hov in houston tx in the dead heat of summer 110 degress not including the heat index. And it was rush hr traffic it was rush hr traffic It took tow truck driver to get to us 2 1/2 hr with my 4 yr old in back seat and me being disabled with heart health problems did not help. I ended up after all this in hospital because it was so hot.my poor son was in tears thank god he didn't suffer heat exhaushtion. I tryed to get this fixed many time but for somereason they could not detect the problem until it was to late now after getting so many false diagnois and spending money on wrong things we still have a huge costly problem. ugg I thought i bought American made cause. we are suppose to be proud of our production :mad: :lemon:
  • Thank God you are okay.....I mean "alive"!! You could have been the first victim as an indirect (or direct?) result of this fuel level sender issue!
    I'm sure you are not the first who has had a similar experience.
    As I stated earlier in this thread:
    "it is a SAFETY Issue! My wife, out of gas against a Jersey Barrier in the fast lane on I-95 during rush hour, is a SAFETY ISSUE!"
    I foresaw it coming and it happened to YOU!
    Too bad there is no recourse for your hospital bills? i wish you all the best.
  • I have started a pettion if you would like to sign it let me know