Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• Your turn signal switch is faulty, it happens in almost all Aleros, and Grand AM that I know of.
  • clemoncmclemoncm Posts: 1
    This morning upon starting my Alero I received 3 alerts "Vehicle Service Soon" "Trac Off" and "Anit-Lock" - is this common? I've seen a few posts, and I'm starting to believe it is... I have an appt today to get it checked out.

On an unrelated note my Alero (which has 48k miles) also has starting issues. Whenever I take a short drive - 10 miles or less, the next time I go to start it hesitate quite a bit before turning over. Sometimes I have to start over and just turn the key again until it starts...Has anyone experienced this as well? I have brought it up to the dealership MANY times and they can't duplicate it and claim to know nothing about the problem.

Of course my 5yr warranty expired TEN days ago. Figures.

Thanks for any input!
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I would have the battery condition checked.
  • jprocjproc Posts: 133
    I had an 03 Alero and had so many problems with it-I traded it in.Had 33k miles -left me stranded more times than I can remember.Shame because the car drove nice (when it ran) and I liked the big back seat and storeage but car had gremlins
  • Want to replace my factory Alero CD/Casette stereo with JVC unit, but notice several 'addional' wires present in the factory wiring harness not found in typical setups (not present in my 99 Grand Am). Does anyone have the wiring harness diagram or color coding handy so I can figure out what goes to what? I think it might be the 'extra' speakers (tweeters?) in the doors and rear speakers grilles, but I want to make sure. Thanks, all!
  • sd10sd10 Posts: 1
    For some reason My car will not start I got a jump assumed it was my battery.Replaced the battery it drove good for a day then died out agian. When it dies it leaves my gas gage at how ever much gas I have. Which it should go down to E once the car is turned off. Its not turning over or anything. Any ideas?
  • sam104sam104 Posts: 2
    my parking lights wont turn off
  • leeannaleeanna Posts: 1
    Hi there, not sure if you have had your problem corrected yet or not, but it's NOT a battery problem, lol. When those lights come on at the same time, you either have a problem with a wheel bearing, or the wheel speed sensor, which is attached to the wheel bearing. You cannot purchase the sensor by itself, unfortunately. You will need to have the vehicle scanned to determine which one it is. good luck. :blush:
  • :) After reading an article on how to stop the clicking noise in the dash, it's like the sound of signalling only faster, I did some investigating and expiramenting. The cheapest way to fix this is to remove the switch itself, Take out the black part around the gauge cluster, two screws, take three screws out of bottom of column plastic, remove screw from center of signal and intermittent switches. Unplug all electrical, pop it out, Clean it thouroghly, remove the little silver screws and take apart. Watch for grease from the steering column bridging electrical contacts.Clean this up, Turns out the grease for the steering column actually conducts electricity, when this bridging occurs you get your clicking. Put it back together, and relish in the fact that you just saved yourself about two hundred bucks at a dealer. (This is the price I was quoted by a dealer to replace switch including labour.) Thanks to the other post that I read. I hope someone finds this useful and again, thanks.
  • I t doesn't work. The switch lights up, but does not defog. All the connections and fuses are fine. Could it be the relay? I live in Northern Ontario, Help!
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    You probably have a break in the printed circuit on the window. You test it by disconnecting both ends, and checking for continuity across the circuit grid. If you can find the break it can be repaired by using some silver (conductive) epoxy.
  • 2004 alero dash has been acting up for about a year. The first time it went dead I twist the windshield wipe lever on high by chance and it worked. Now it wont work at all. All elec componets still work fine. Is the dash dead? HELP
  • I am having the exact same problem. I have a 2000 Alero, and yesterday at lunch time, all the gauges just died. My radio and power windows still work though. Someone told us to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect it to see what happens, and after we did that, the ODOMETER started working again, but nothing else. I'm afraid we're looking at an expensive repair bill which just isn't a possibility right now. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would love to hear them. If you'd like, you can email me at gobigorange2916@yahoo.com
  • I had the same problem so I jiggle the key and they would work so I bought a new
    key assembly and install it but I kept having the same problem so I remove the switch and open the back plastic case where I found 5 sets of contacts so I clean the arching burns with a bernishing tool you can find that tool at your local electronic store then I adjusted the contacts so they would make better contact put it back together 2 months ago and have not had the problem again regardless
    what the weather condition are or road conditions. Bye the way this relays control your blinkers,power windows, and Instrument cluster light and gauges.
  • THANK YOU
    I have a similar problem. The power windows and A/C worked intermittently then stopped all together. Did you clean the contacts on the ignition switch ?
  • This has happened to me on my 01 Alero. I had to have the the ignition switch replaced, cost $420.00. This fixed the problem for about two years, or 5,000 miles. Then the same thing happened again. Had to have the ignition switch replaced again, cost $450.00.
  • i am having the same problem with my Rear Defrost My Rear window is fine. already thought of that. I think it has to do something with the Relay not working. I will attempt to repair mine and get back to you.
  • I purchased a used 2000 Alero last year and have had no real problems with it, but am aware of issues with the brand in terms of electrical system problems. Recently, the car has been doing something strange and I'm hoping to get some answers before going to a mechanic. Initally, this was happening in a specific situation - whenever I made a sharp right. The steering wheel locks up and the oil pressure light and electrical system charging light both come on, accompanied by chiming. The car is still running, but appears stalled. Sorry, I don't know a lot about cars. Anyway, I put it in park, turn off the ignition, turn it back on again and everything is "normal". Today, it did it while I was sitting at a red light. Any ideas about what is happening? Has anyone else experienced this with this car? If so, did you get it repaired and was it expensive? I'm a struggling student, so I have to budget carefully.

Thanks for any help!
  • I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero that is having electrical issues. Aftermarket radio turns on off intermittently with ignition key turned in on position and when car is started and turned off. It was installed by a friend of a friend. Had alternator and battery load tests done 3 times now, twice by my repair shop and once by my friend who works for auto zone and both check out ok. My vehicle has died 4 times since having issues and have had to have my car jumped each time. I had my aftermarket alpine stereo taken out checked by a radio shop to check if it was installed properly. Radio was removed within 2 minutes the load test they conducted failed 11.5 rest and a 6.5V drop. I’ve been told I should get battery checked at Interstate battery center. Interstate battery that is in the car I have been told is only 1 year old from previous owners who I spoke with. My repair shop pulled up 27 error codes in computer after security light had come on. A few of the codes are U1025 Loss of serial communications for class 2 devices. B1328 vehicle system voltage is greater than 15.9 volts. U1000 class 2 communication malfunction. My repair shop has replaced the ignition switch which I was told help get rid of 4 DTC codes and I had to have the ac compressor assembly with drier repaired recently. I have been told to leave the radio out for 3 days by my repair shop. They are checking and clearing out the codes and I have to bring it back to have it checked to see if the codes come back. I have no idea what to do and feel I am at a loss with this vehicle. I notice when driving the vehicle that pressing on any electronic buttons in the car as well as accelerating in and from idle position the car interior lights dim and I can hear a change in voltage from low / high, high / low it fluctuates. I’ve already wasted enough money into the car itself. I have read many forums of vehicle owners replacing alternator and battery as well as the starter in varies cars and it does not help the issue. I do know I have some sort of voltage issue going on but that all I know. Any suggestions on what could be causing this problem along with the DTC error codes? Thank you!