Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Focus future vehicle

What the #$%&? According to http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Preview/styleId=100728682, the 2008 Focus for US will be yet another stup!d facelift! What Ford really needs if it wants to boost sales is bring here instead the cool (up-to-date) Europe-market Focus. Sure, it's larger than our current Focus, but the competition Chevy Cobalt is also larger, isn't it? So even a larger Focus (like the Euro Focus) can still battle the Cobalt and the also-now-larger Civic, Corolla, and 2007 Sentra. If Ford really needs an econo-car to battle the Aveo, Fit, Versa, etc., then the Fiesta or a similar Brazil-built product is more logical than an ageing Focus facelift.

Comments

• I agree... and I took the comma off the link so it'll work better:

link title

~marc
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    they`re so kidding us... a "fusioned" face focus? haha that`s a joke right? that thing it`s not gonna sell in a million years... GUYS PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU MAKE ANOTHER MOVE WITH THAT STUPID FACELIFT, IT`S NOT TOO LATE TO CANCEL!!!
    :mad:
  • comp386comp386 Posts: 56
    I really don't think there's anything wrong with the older platform. My biggest gripe with the Focus is the interior and I hope with this facelift, that they'll improve the build quality of it a little. In the last Edmunds economy sedan comparison, the Focus placed 4th. However if you take into consideration the rebates, it would have been awfully close to the Honda Civic. Not bad for a vehicle that you can get for $14,000 out the door. Ford does not make money on the Focus, not even a variable profit. I expect the 2010 Focus (when the C1 platform gets redone) to be amazing. Until then, if you want a cheap vehicle that handles well, get a Focus.
  • Am I reading too much into the article, or are they doing away with the hatchbacks and going the ZX2 route? Where does Detroit dig up these focus group(not this Focus group, but the market research type)members that tell them Amerikans don't want to buy hatchbacks? After all, aren't Suburbans, H2s, and Explorers all hatchbacks.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    And Versa, Fit, Yaris, Matrix, etc.
  • lmgt1lmgt1 Posts: 4
    This is a perfect example of why Toyota is eating Ford's lunch. While Toyata is bringing to the U.S. euro-based offerings such as the Yaris, and the economical, technology leading Prius, Ford is relying on past glory, and giving us an archaic Mustang Shelby GT 500 and retro GT40, Thunderbird, etc. Message to Bill: What legends are you creating today??? Americans are not stupid, and will continue to migrate to better Japanese and German (VW Rabbit) offerings.

Bring the new Euro Forus to America. Don't tell us it's too big. Don't tell us it's too 'upscale'. Give us a car we are ASKING to buy.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    It's bulky fat at 184cm (over 6 ft), not even the Lexus LS430 can match.

Stick w/ the old platform & continue w/ the old-fashion hydraulic steering for better feel. The C-170 is a collecter's item. Have you driven a Focus SVT lately. Hello, it's been out for a while.

Only the 1.6 (not available here) version of the new C-1 (MkII) Focus & Mazda3 got the conventional hydraulic steering, but still not as feel-ful as the C-170 Focus SVT's meaty steering.

As a current Mazda Protege owner, I hate to see how the new electro-hydraulic power steering ruined the fun in the C-1:

http://www.evo.co.uk/u/r0a9f0811324f75a7t/carreviews/evocarreviews/204243/mazda_- - - - 3_mps.html

"Stability at very high speed is exemplary, too. As it is on fast country roads. The chassis has bags of grip, fine body control and, amazingly, hardly any torque-steer. Trouble is, travelling quickly in the 3 MPS just isn’t much fun. At least, not by the standards of a Golf GTI or (MkII)Focus ST. And especially not by the standards of the latest Renaultsport Mégane competing in this year’s eCoty.

The steering, while reasonably direct and well weighted, feels numb and is very short on detail feedback, the engine note is persistently dull and occasionally unpleasant, and although grip and body control are good, the chassis’ act as a whole is distinctly two dimensional, the mild understeering balance being only minutely adjustable with the throttle. Ride comfort is rather fidgety, too."
  • lmgt1lmgt1 Posts: 4
    Not sure about the steering issues Creak describes, but I drove the new-gen Focus in Europe over the summer and it had, dare I say, a BMW-esque steering feel.

Check this out... with Mitsubishi's EVO, and Subaru's WRX, it would be ashame if we, in the home of FORD, did not get this: http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evospyshots/204479/ford_focus_rs.html

Also note that the current gen Focus could not accomodate all-wheel drive (therefore the front-wheel drive Focus RS).
    BMW-esque steering feel? That depends on which BMW. Many are sadly numb, including the Z4 & especially the earlier ones w/ electric power steering.

In the late '90's, British car magazines dared to complain about how the E46 3-series, w/ or w/o sport package, lost the involving steering feel after the E36. So I waited for the new E90 3-series sedan, but still found its steering feel no match for the old E36. It was especially unsatisfying light at low speed. Having more feel than most other cars today, such as the Lexus IS, is still not good enough.

& watch out for the E90 coupe, which lost the sedan's hydraulic unit all together.

As if only Porsche's still got lots of steering feel today. The new redesigned Mini Cooper &, especially, the new MX-5 Miata also got complains from the British magazines when switching to pure electric steering.

So I ended up getting a mint-condition '99 E36 328is just recently. Boy, the steering was just a tad too heavy, so I had to use a thick steering-wheel cover to lighten the effort. :)

Now, I just want to figure out how to duplicate the C-170 Focus SVT's meaty steering effort on my '05 Focus ST. Possibly by cutting down the electric current to the power steering pump.

Nevertheless, it is quite foolish to get an AWD car from a FWD platform. 'cause the FWD platforms come w/ heavy front-overhang weight for FWD traction! If you want an AWD car, then start out from a RWD platform.

Go test drive a base 16"-wheel RX-8 auto w/ non-sport suspension, then you'll scratch your head wondering why this light-nose car handles like a race car & still rides almost limo soft!

Anyway, here's a British complain over the new C-1 Focus' steering:

creakid1, "Ford Focus 2005 release date" #67, 25 Dec 2004 11:39 am
    So, from outside, it looks like a sedan version of the new Edge SUV?

& the styling/shape of the interior door panel, armrest, etc.... Please, give us a break. Is this a car for the new generation or grannys?

America has been very lucky that rest of the world has to end up w/ the low-tech (read no Control-blade multi-link rear suspension) Fiesta as the only narrow-width little Euro-design Ford sedan. While we still got the 169.5cm-wide high-tech C-170 Focus. & now it's turning ugly & dorky.

In fact, many countries kept the old Mazda Protege badged as Ford in production for consumers who find the new C-1 Focus too wide!
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    My gripe with the 2008 Focus is that Ford is dropping the nifty wagon version. I thought it was a nice alternative to an overweight crossover.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    Are they also dropping the four door SE hatchback???
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    My understanding is that the wagon and hatchbacks will be dropped. There will be only be a sedan and coupe.
    Call me crazy, but it looks like the beautiful European Mondeo:

creakid1, "Ford Focus Sedan" #1848, 6 May 2006 12:30 am

You will all regret waiting for the Detroit-style '08. :P
    A tad sportier looking than this old Toyota hybrid but w/o the cute-ness.

Wow, Detroit, you're making a lot of progress. At least it doesn't have Toyota's long-arm short-leg driving position.

& check out the rebirth of these tail lights from the old Dodge Stratus.
  • I think the 2008 Focus is darned sporty and compelling. Nice shapes, nice lights, well done. Interior is more desirable than the current Civic, far superior to the Corolla and new Sentra. The upcoming Saturn Astra will outclass it. And I wish they kept the Focus hatchback. But this is one nice small car.
  • Check out Autoblog's images from the Detroit Auto Show. Ford's done a nice job on the restyling but the "brilliant matte silver-metallic finishing" on the SEL's console is waaaaay over the top. If it's as shiny as I think, the reflection of sunlight will be blinding for any driver and may wash out displays on the console electronics.

"On SE models, the dashboard center finish panels are a contrasting dark stone non-metallic color." This looks much better, IMO.
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Posts: 263
    Well, I guess Ford decided to go for those high profit margins of the rental fleet sales.
This discussion has been closed.