Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Focus future vehicle

Comments

• lmgt1lmgt1 Posts: 4
    Wow!!! 4 out 5 stars rated by EVO magazine for Euro Focus. And EVO magazine, as we all know, really only reviews high-performance cars. Very impressive.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/61251/ford_focus_st.html

Wonder how many stars the [non-permissible content removed] US focus would received?? hmmmm... maybe 1 out 5 would be kind.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    On my last business trip to Europe (Geneva, Switzerland), I rented a 5-speed Euro Focus. Great car, slick gearbox, and really fun to drive. When I picked my Swiss colleague up at the train station, he was shocked to discover it was a 5-speed manual. He remarked: "I thought Americans only drive automatics!" So, it does seem that perception is endemic worldwide, as it's essentially true.

I, too, wish Ford would "get the message" and bring the Euro Focus, and other Ford products like the current Mondeo, over to the USA. I know I would buy one, but I won't buy the new Focus. It's really unfortunate that Ford's management is really out of touch with consumers' desires and wishes. I would gladly pay over $20K for a Euro Focus. I think the basic problem is that all domestic manufacturers still equate small to cheap - Big Mistake on their part.
  • The runaway success of the Mini should forever dispell the myth that Americans won't drive a premium subcompact costing over $20,000. I believe there is plenty of room in the market for additional models like the Euro-Focus, especially when one considers the cost of parts and service for the Mini. Of course, this argument would fall apart entirely if Ford failed to improve quality to the point that the new Focus wasn't in the shop twice as often as the Mini. But... for the sake of this discussion, let's assume Ford has finally managed to solve it's fundamental quality issues.

So, where's the Euro-Focus!?! What makes the Europeans so special that they deserve the premium model while we have to dance with its ugly cousin? And how much money is wasted designing, engineering, manufacturing, and supporting two models rather than one world-car? That has never made sense to me.

The idea of a single platform for each market level seems to have caught on (Mazda3, Volvo S40, EuroFocus plus some GM models), but Ford continues to drag its feet when it comes to the US Focus. Why? Import it from Europe if you have to, but please offer a car worth buying! Or give up. Either way is okay with me.
  • comp386comp386 Posts: 56
    It's interesting because I was watching an old episode of Top Gear the other day and they were discussing the Mazda 3 hatch and the VW Golf. When asked which vehicle they would buy the guy said Ford Focus (old one). They said the Focus was more fun to drive and while the Mazda is more refined, it was too boring. They recommended that people run out and buy the old Focus before Ford ruins it with a re-engineering. I try not to take anything from Top Gear too seriously, but I really think the old Focus was a strong offering. I own one and it's a blast to drive. To me Ford should have upgraded the powertrains. A 4 speed tranny just isn't enough and there's no reason why the Focus 2.0L should get fewer than Mazda's when it's the same engine. Also getting rid of the 2.3L was a poor decision. The interior looks amazing though and that's my biggest complaint about the Focus. I'll have to get a closer look before I make any final judgements though.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    If your able, travel to Europe some time. The Europeans seem to get all of the good/neat cars, and the variety to choose from is substantial. Every time I'm there, I envy the European consumer. Yes, they pay more for a given vehicle perhaps, but they are not boring cars, plus all seem to be very well made.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    “It's interesting because I was watching an old episode of Top Gear the other day and they were discussing the Mazda 3 hatch and the VW Golf. When asked which vehicle they would buy the guy said Ford Focus (old one). They said the Focus was more fun to drive and while the Mazda is more refined, it was too boring. They recommended that people run out and buy the old Focus before Ford ruins it with a re-engineering”

There you have it. Why whine about not getting the new C-1? 'cause the old one's more fun!

Lately, a new feature for the C-1 Focus is a 3-setting pwr-steering adjustment, but... Skidding the high-tech rear predictably is what the original Focus was about. & the C-1 Focus had it "engineered" out.

While the C-1 Mazda3 has the oversteer dialed in, it does more than what you ask for. So don't switch its optional DSC off too often.

The Focus SVT (mechanically identical to the Euro-spec Focus ST170) was so good it beated the Mini Cooper in both ride and handling, plus better steering, room, price & reliability (per Consumer Reports comparison test a few years back).

Lately, the Focus & the Mini are no longer very unreliable. Mini sells well at high price b/c girls find it about the only cute & innocent looking car around. & Ford forgot about the cuteness when copying the old Prius this time on the new '08 Focus coupe -- oops!
  • The US will not get the current European Focus. The American and European versions come back together with an all new model for 2010, now in development. What should that new Focus accomplish? Face it, the 2008 is a stop gap measure.

Farther along in the development process and therefore closer to market is the 2009 B-Class car for the US referenced at the Detroit show, but as yet unnamed and of unknown styling or configuration. Could this be the car aimed at Ford FWD enthusiasts?

It's too late to change the 2007-08 plan given development cycles. If there's time to influence Ford choices it is on these '09 and '10 models still in the pipeline.

What should Ford be trying to achieve with each?
    Why bother w/ B-Class? 'cause in crowded cities, you need small cars even if $ is no object. & newer C-Class cars are growing fatter.

The B-Class will not have the high-tech multilink rear suspension for good ride/handling compromise. That includes the VW Polo, Ford Fiesta, Honda Fit, etc. Eventhough the Mini Cooper & BMW 1-series do have rear multilink, the set up is too firm for comfort.

The new C-1 Focus, like the new Lexus IS "compact" sport sedan, has an extremely wide body, therefore not for me. So the current C-170 Focus is the best "B-Class". Grab'em while you can!

I even collected a 2000 Civic hatch, which has an all-around Double Wishbone suspension system packaged w/in a smallish exterior. Since the turn of the century, the smallest Honda w/ such high-tech suspension is a heavy-weight TSX!
  • When do they hit the lots?? Spring or end of 2007???
  • Damian...

I asked that very same question to a Ford cutomer rep. She mentioned the 2008 Focus hitting showrooms at the very end of summer, towards late September...probably early October.

Peace! ;)
  • "...2008 Focus hitting showrooms at the very end of summer, towards late September...probably early October."

Well, I thought the Focus looked sort of interesting until I saw the preview of the new Saturn Astra, which will debut at the Chicago Auto show this week. The Astra (from Opel) makes the Focus look like a Yugo in comparison - at least from what I've seen and read so far. And it will come in three and five door hatch models. Keep your C1 Focus, Mr. Ford. If you're not familiar with the Opel Astra, you should be. Google is your friend.

• I absoulutely agree with you, jpmccormac!

They're both nice, but I'd go with the Astra coupe (speaking for myself). ;)

Ford = one blunder after another, IMHO.

Cheers...

Peace! :shades:
  • Accepting that the 2008 model is a stop-gap measure, I see the dumbing down of the Focus line as a very foolish move. Dropping the popular (at least here in California) ZX3/5 seems like giving up, no matter how much Ford uses hip, "I'm a Mac" actors in its ads. At least they say that they've improved the interior (we'll see), given that complaints about the seats were so widespread and that they did nothing about it for several years (rather like GM's neglect of Cavalier and Saturn).
  • The 2008 Ford Focus look good? :confuse: Very :confuse:

Check out how the Ford Focus look like out there!

Click here --> http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/foc_c307/foc_c307_downloads/foc_c307_gallery/-/-/-/-)

I haven't even start talking about the ST version!

Better yet, check out what only a Ford Transit can do at the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
    Click here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mj1sMQOHXA

Don't know what Nürburgring is?
    Click here --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurburgring

I thought there was a Internet nowadays.

Good luck Ford US! :sick:
  • When can we see something like this in U.S.? Frankly, those punks in Ford thought we are a bunch of dumb @$$es out here. :mad:

Check out the one of test drive by Top Gear, Ford U.S.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-qUUFLB3I
  • When I first saw this thing I thought uggggghhh a saturn Ion. My g/f though chimmed up "I think its CUTE". After looking at it for a while I think its growing on me.

So what about the platform it could come in at a nice pricing point. I want low price, reliability, and good fuel economy. Even if they used the modern platform and it gave better performance most Americans wouldn't care. With 90% of cars going out as auto its clear people aren't concerned with that.

As long as they drop the base price (the MSRP on the current focus is laughable) and bring in a B car ASAP they could have products people wanna buy.

Ford if you can't bring a B-car by the time this new thing comes out, then your screwed. The longer you make unsellable products the fewer people think of you.
    This "new" Saturn coming out is gonna be just an outmoded Opel/Vauxhall Astra:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/205104/this_weeks_auto_express- - - - - .html

Like the low-tech B-class cars, the GM Astra comes w/ trailing-arm rear suspension, which was pioneered by FWD VW's over 3 decades ago. But unlike VW's, GM could not duplicate the expensive building method found w/in the VW trailing arms &, therefore, failed to match VW's ride/handling compromise.

A few years back, VW hired the "C-170 Focus" engineers to design the Control Blade rear suspension for today's FWD Golf/Jetta/Passat/A3/Scirocco for improving the ride/handling compromise.

So Opel tried to copy VW's old design, which VW got rid off & replaced it w/ C-170 Focus' system!

Even if Saturn is going to build this "old" European Astra, will it come w/ Europeans' fancy optional panoramic windshield?
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/203124/vauxhall_astra.html
    So Saturn's Astra will actually be imported from Europe.

I just saw the pics of the Focus III hatch in a German car magazine.

Is this real?
    http://www.autokampioen.nl/published/akm/content/afbeeldingen/2006/toekomst/0604- fordfo2-320926_enlarged.jpg
    http://www.autokampioen.nl/published/akm/content/afbeeldingen/2006/toekomst/0604- fordfo1-320919_enlarged.jpg
    It is the handsome front end that looks almost like the next "James Bond car" -- the '08 Mondeo. We should get the Focus III as an 2011 model?
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I am a Ford fan. I just cannot understand why Ford cannot sell cars like this in the U.S???? If this is a Focus it looks great!! and Ford needs this NOW! not 6 years from now!
    The 2008 Focus looks like a step in the right direction. Styling is nice. However, once again Ford drops the 2.3!! Why?? It should make the 2.3 standard, offer a 6spd automatic and a 6spd manual! I'm frustrated... :sick:
    "The 2008 Focus looks like a step in the right direction."???

So it's people like you who gave American Ford the confidence to go ahead. :cry:

I really though that the '08 sacrifices styling just to appeal to the anti-import crowd!!!

Anyway, Mazda kept the "know how" to themselves & failed to tune the Focus engines to save fuel. That's why the 2.3, which wastes energy on the balance-shafts alone, had to go.
This discussion has been closed.