Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki SX4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    on my suzuki in the past if that light came on it was due to a increase in emissions. In my case it stopped when i stopped buying gas from this one gas station. (bad gas) and one other time it was my gas cap also. the cap wasnt sealing well enough. In my state if your check engine light is on you caN't pass emission testing. I would take it to that closest dealer and if they refuse to look at it call suzuki and say , is this whats its like to have that 100,000 warranty? The warranty is only as good as the people servicing it..
  • dudeboydudeboy Posts: 55
    When you get the cause of the MIL checked, I'm interested to see if it's "P0607 Control Module Performance." That's what it was on mine, and it happened the first time I started the engine after refueling. There was also an extremely long delay in the time it took the mileage computer, and the fuel gauge to respond to the amount of fuel in the tank after filling.
  • kosherkosher Posts: 3
    Hello. I am about to put an order in for my SX4 Sport. I've been to four different dealers so far and nobody can give me a straight answer so hopefully somebody here can help. I selected the ski/snowboard holder as one of my options but from the looks of the picture, I will need to also add the crossbars as an additional option. Am I right on this? If I have to purchase the crossbars also, the price isn't all that different from just buying the car without it and buying a Yakima or Thule later on. It seems a bit shady that they wouldn't automatically add on the cross bars when somebody selects the snowboard holder. If I don't need to buy the crossbars then the price seems unbeatable.
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Warranty work is some money. Not big bucks, but they usually make something off it. Of course, the big bucks are dealer recommended service where they don't do much and get to charge big $$$.
    Pretty sure the cross bars have to be ordered seperately. The price of the Ski/snowboard attachment is less than the crossbars. I'd probably go with the Yakima/Thule racks. Then you can add any attachments, without the manufacture brackets for the cross bars.
  • You can also go to www.armrest-autoaccessories.com and get an armrest for $95USD (shipping included for USA and Canada)
  • also, I have owned two new Kia's in a row and with Kia's and the Long-Haul Warranty one doesn't have to get their maintenance done at a Kia dealer. Do any of you know if the same holds true with Suzuki and their ample Warranty?

I'm assuming that Suzuki will also allow you to get your non-Warranty maintenance work done at the repair shop of your choosing. As long as you keep your receipts as you accumulate them to show that you had the work done and at the right time intervals.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I have owned two new Kia's in a row and with Kia's and the Long-Haul Warranty one doesn't have to get their maintenance done at a Kia dealer. Do any of you know if the same holds true with Suzuki and their ample Warranty?

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

The rules and regulations adopted by the FTC, to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    These kind of warranty stories are why I'd rather have a high quality car with a short warranty (eg Honda, Toyota) than a car with poorer quality but a long warranty (eg...name it!).
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    High-quality cars can be somewhat subjective, as I've owned Hondas and Toyotas, and have actually had more warranty claims with each of those brands than with other brands. The last Honda I owned had two warranty claims, and replacements, within the first 6 months. I bought a new Hyundai last year, and have not had one single glitch or warranty claim. The same can't be said with the Honda or Toyota products I've owned.

Suzuki, in some car classes, outsells Honda and Toyota in Japan. This should tell you something regarding how the Japanese perceive the quality of Japanese-built Suzukis.

As one who has worked in engineering for a manufacturer, companies who offer long warranties do so because they believe in the quality of their product. Otherwise, warranty claims would kill their profits. Thus, a long warranty generally implies quality, not the converse, as you imply.
    I have a little worry regaurding suzuki's warranty. if you go to the Grand Vitara Forum section on this site you will read about the warranty issues that many people have had with their vibration problems. and lot of them arent getting it fixed and the dealer doesnt want to do much about it. and others have bought a suzuki then the dealer NO longer sells suzuki because of hassles with suzuki. now of course this is not everyone's experience. In my area suzuki dealers are hard to find. I couldnt imagine having to drive 40-50 miles each way for a warranty related issue. I have a tracker with a suzuki engine and transmission, both have been better than i expected. i have had issues A/C fails (common for 1999) but for the most part its been a great car and a little tank in the snow and off road. in the tracker days some of the most common complaints were very cheap interior.. the dark grey plastic peels the paint off the plastic. as i said im concerned not with suzuki but the dealers that sell their product. your warranty is only as good as the dealer servicing your car. take a read on the GV forum... its a issue that many are filing a lemon law against..
  • I just purchased an SX4. I traded two cars, so it is hard to determine the actual purchase price. I did get more than edmunds.com trade in value on both of the cars I traded. On one, I received $800 more than what edmunds.com trade in value suggested. So in short, I did pay full sticker for the SX4, but I did get good trade in numbers for the two cars I traded. I bought a Copper base with a manual.

So far, the SX4 is proving to be quite the value. Feels very sound and solid. While it does look a little nerdy to me, I was sold on the engineering, value and seemingly high quality of construction.

I bought the car from Ray Skillman Suzuki in Indianapolis. It was -- withougt doubt -- the most pleasant car buying experience I have ever experienced. At 39, I have owned more than 30 cars, with the Suzuki being my fifth new car purchase.
  • you're the first person who has called the new 2007 Suzuki SX4 nerdy! You picked a great color in that orange. You also picked the right transmission-these cars are meant to be driven with a stick, for maximum fun!

• This Thursday 12/7 found out that my 5 speed Sport has arrived in Baltimore and will be deliver before 12/19. Paid slightly below retail ( about $600 including Owners $250 discount )The Sports are here
  • I wanted an extra car for family that visits. Went to the L.A. Auto show twice and I felt the SX4 was the best choice of the Minicars. Plenty of room inside. My eye level (had a tape measure) was 10" higher off the ground than in my Camry. That helps with trying see past the SUVs. The car had better acceleration then some have said. In fact, if you dont punch it, but let it rev, it gets going pretty good. It went up a steep hill OK. I dropped it back out of drive to help it, but it didnt really need that. Back in Drive, it did fine. Its definitely a short wheel base car that is going to jiggle you a little, but it accepts bumps OK. Not too much engine noise. The back seat flop down is lame. Would probably remove one. Miller Mitsu=Suzuki in Van Nuys, CA has about 6 base models. All the colors. They told me they couldnt get a Sport and the sound system in it is no good anyhow and "who needs climate control". Actually, one of the young salemen said if I bought the base model, I could add custom audio that would be better than the Sport. Any comments? The closer was really a jerk.
    i saw a ad in my local paper today for a SX4 (didnt say what model) but im guessing base with a 5 speed cause the price was $13,888!!
  • nice price! Are you seriously considering a SX4 at this time, though?

I am, but for a tad bit later down the road apiece.

The Sport offers stability control, a big plus in my book. Otherwise, I don't care about the other options.
    im still thnking about it as there are some parts of the sx4 i dont like. as i said it looks alot smaller in real life than on the suzuki website. plus i would only get a sport, and i doubt i will see any good deals on them for a while. my local suzuki dealer has 5 base models in a 5 speed just sitting there. they arent moving like they thought. im guessing probably do to it being a 5 speed? im thinking maybe the sport model will change my mind about the sx4. i want good gas mileage but i also NEED room. so thats why i have been bouncing around in my head between the honda fit, sx4 nissan versa etc. the fit gives the most room and the best MPG. i think its city mileage is higher than the sx4's highway mileage. but it doesnt have awd either. then again youve read my opinion on the (need) for awd where i live. I just like suzuki and i want to give them a try
  • a 2007 Suzuki SX4 Sport, arkainzeye.

Just look for the right price. The more I look at the 2007 Suzuki SX4 base model with optional armrest, 5-speeds and either Bright Red or Techno Blue Metallic or Orange paint, the more enthused I become.

Let's put it this way: I have the 2007 Kia Optima, I4, 5-speed in Ruby Red up there as my choice for a "large car entrant" for our next car and the SX4 as the small rig. Would probably choose the SX4 today. It will take a new rig from Kia, possibly their new Cee'd concept car to be put into production by the time our '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 with 124,093 miles gives out to sway me away from trading in for a Suzuki SX4. The car is small, yes, but I love small cars so it fits my bill exquisitely. :D

i like the sport features but the list price of a sport with the 4speed automatic is close to $18,000 and no dispect to Suzuki but i feel that is a little high for the car you get. yeah the features are nice but its still under powered and has a horrible resale value. (family experience with suzuki). I think suzuki makes good products as i have one now. but $18,000 could get me awhole lot of something else if you know what i mean... (honda etc) see for me i NEED cruise control. if the base model came with cruise i might get it! all the bases i seen at local dealers had NO cruise.
  • I think the convenience package option on the base model will give you cruise, and the updated radio with steering wheel mounted controls. I can't remember how much it costs, but would be a lot cheaper than going to the sport. You would still have a lot of standard features that the other $18000 cars you mentioned wouldn't have.
  • I paid US$15,594.00 for a silver 5-speed base model. The dealer only had one 5-speed and about 10 automatics. The salesman said they would give me an automatic for less but not the 5-speed because everyone is asking for the 5-speed. He said I could wait and see how they SX4 sells and if it isn't then they would start discounting them but I couldn't wait! That was two months ago.
  • Shopping for cars just makes me cranky -- I don't know why you all sound so cheerful.

I didn't know what an SX4 was until I "stalked" one the other day to read its fender. I don't understand why anyone thinks its "ugly" -- its the nicest design I've seen in a car in a long time. (I'm one of those middle-age-ish off-market people). And much cuter than the photos someone posted of the impending sedan. (To me, the SX4 -- the current model available in the US - is clearly a "chick" car.)

Hasn't anyone ever heard of negotiating for a car price? I intend to basically pay cash for a car (it will be financed by my bank) --whatever I decide on -- and go in with a good, paid-off trade-in (2004 Nissan). I looked at an 07 SX4 and an 03 Honda CRV. The dealer gave me that "we buy the SX4s just barely over wholesale" line -- as if car prices are set in stone. Since when? Why are you all paying the asking price for these cars? It's because of this that car prices are so ridiculously high. We have all basically AGREED to it. Can't someone tell me that they bought an SX4 for less than what the dealer says it cost?? I know dealers probably haunt these forums, so I'm skeptical I'll get a straight answer here.

As far Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus "holding their value" better than an SX4 or whatever -- that's bunk. They hold their value when you want to BUY one, but not when you go to sell one or trade one in. (Has anyone tried to privately sell a good used car lately? It's gotten to the point that it's almost considered weird to do this. Dealers know this.)

Anyway you approach a car purchase you're going to lose money on it. So the only "power" consumers have is to demand lower-than-sticker or MSRP prices. They'll make a profit on my trade-in (to someone who doesn't know what an ASKING price means) and then even on what they make from however much I can talk them down (which wouldn't be enough, for such a basic little car).

I was also surprised that there are no incentives for buying a new SX4 -- finance rates are higher than my bank's, and the dealer said something about $500 rebate or off sticker. Which is probably still way over wholesale. How do we know what the real wholesale price is? KBB surely isn't impartial -- just look at the ads on its Web site!

The scarcity of Suzuki dealers in my area (there's one within a reasonable driving distance) scares me; if I bought one, it would be in large part for the warranty. How do I know it will still be around in five years, when things are falling apart? On the other hand, the 03 Honda CRV has a 12-mo warranty -- and I know the transmission will fall out on day 366. That pretty much happened with my used Subaru!

I should probably just keep the Nissan. But it's not 4WD, and I need that where I live. And I want to cash in on it now, before the mileage (almost 50K) gets much higher.

Thanks for listening; any input would be much appreciated; I promise I won't attack.

Kim
    you said you "need" 4wd? how long have you been driving your nissan without 4wd?.

as far as not paying list. and why there is no deals. 2 words. (New Model). I never seen deals on new models. same with the honda fit. their attitude is if you dont buy it someone else will.. My Local suzuki dealership cant keep them in stock, and thats at the list price according to the sales person. So you can talk price all you want but if they arent going to move on the price then they will just sell it to someone else. at least that is how its down here with the new SX4. btw i dont have one. and from the reviews ive read its making me seriously think twice. where i live awd is not needed, so fuel economy might take front seat on this one. gas price wont be going down over the 5 years i have to pay on a new car. i Dont want $4 a gallon at 21mpg!
  • Hi: I know, I can't understand why these don't get better gas mileage. I'm thinking maybe a 2005 Hyundai Tucson instead.

I still have a hard time believing that a dealer buys a car for what they intend to sell it for. That just sounds like me being naive.

I inherited the Nissan (well, I inherited the Nissan and its loan) recently. I have studded snow tires on it right now. Although so far, no snow. (I live in a remote-ish hilltown in New England, roughly). And I should have said I'm selling it and paying it off (to a local service station that sells a lot of used cars) -- then (maybe) going into the dealer and paying cash. It just so happened that my Subaru became more of a liability at around the same time, so I wanted to "combine" them -- then I happened to see an SX4 tooling down my hill.

A Buick dealer w/a used lot I visited told me something interesting today. (He recommended a used Hyundai Tucson). He said anyone who considers buying a used car should ask to see the title then call the previous owner. Makes sense but it probably wouldn't have occurred to me. It's apparently a state law, at least here, that they have to show you the title if you ask.
  • Where did you read the bad reviews?
    if you get a tucson check on this... there is a local dealer around me that sold a tucson to a family telling them that the 100,000 warranty was transferable. well according to what i heard the warranty is NOT transferable like the suzuki warranty is. so when the family had to use the warranty it was void! the dealer had to Buy them a $2250 warranty to cover what they told the family they had. So if your looking at a tucson make sure the dealer isnt using the warranty as a selling point and if they are, make sure you get it in writting that you have the warranty..
    Ummm... all you need to do is look at edmunds for invoice and sticker. Difference between invoice and sticker is $600. Not a lot of room for negotiation. One of the dealers in my area is advertising two automatics at $14,997, about $1000 lower than invoice. 5 speeds seem to be selling faster, so the few dealers in the area aren't discounting them.

Suzukis depreciate horribly. Hondas and Toyotas do not. Selling private party is easy. I've sold a ton of cars on my own. You end up losing thousands trading it in.