Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• snicholsnichol Posts: 28
    You need to go back to the main page, there is a whole category on "Chevy Tracker Starting and Stalling Problems". I have posted a message asking a question and so far no-one's answered me???
    Here is my message:
    It began one day recently, when it was rather hot.
    I had stopped for gas and when I got in an re-started it, it acted like it was out-of-timing and trying to kick backwards. Finally after letting it set 10 minutes or so, it started and ran smoothly???
    Well, it has gotten progressively worse.
    Last week, it was a hot day, I got stuck in stop & go traffic and it sputtered and coughed and stopped. After letting it set for 5/10 minutes, it started, ran smoothly and I was able to get out of the stop & go mess.
    It happened again this last Saturday, after driving about 50/60 miles, it coughed and stopped running. Again, Let it set 5/10 minutes, it started right up and I continued my trip without a problem.
    It appears to me that it is the Cam Sensor problem you folks have been mentioning.
    MY QUESTION IS: Is the Cam Sensor just a bolt-on replacement, or does the timing have to be set by it? (Like a old Distributor required?)
    Also, the AutoZone inexpensive replacement, is it a quality-built replacement part, or junk?
    By the way, my 2001 Tracker has 230,000+ miles on it and is still tracking on! (except for this minor glitch!)
    As a follow-up, I took the advise from a previous post...

when I stop after driving for awhile, I have to open the hood and pour water over the Cam Sensor to cool it off. I get back in and it cranks right up like nothings wrong.

I know it is the problem, but I need to know if it just a bolt-on replacement, or do you have to set the timing with it?
    (In other words, can I do it myself, or does it require a mechanic with timing equipment?)

Hope this helps you figure out your problem.
    I still need an answer???
    Regards,
    Sam
    Hi There!
    I guess you didn't see my message where I ask some questions about replacing the Cam Sensor?

What I need to know:
    1. Is the sensor just a bolt-on replacement, or does it require setting the timing again? Any special tools?
    2. Not being familiar with the Cam Sensor, is it the bolt-on part, just behind the valve cover, on top, rear of engine, or is it just one of the plug-in leads hooked to that part?
    3. Is the AutoZone Replacement good quality, or just junk?
    4. if junk, where is the least expensive source to find it?

I would appreciate some brief instructions on the replacement of the Cam Sensor, thus saving me the Mechanic's outrageous costs.
    If you can provide an answer, this is something I need to fix right away, as the hot weather is hitting now. (Tired of having to pour water on sensor to cool it down, after stopping in stop 'n' go traffic!)
    Thanks,
    SNichol
  • trinajotrinajo Posts: 3
    Hey just got your message. I took the easy way out and had the dealership to replace the cam sensor and another part. They kept telling me nothing was wrong and of course i kept insisting that they drive it. TO my luck my car messed up on them.

If you want email me at justrinajo@yahoo.com and I can locate my sheet that the dealership did on my car and give you more information.
  • jeanlwardjeanlward Posts: 1
    okay my tracker wont start went to the movies in jan. came back out it started and cut right of never to start again. when i crank it turns over but dose not fire up. one mechanic said it was the crank sensor which is located near the cranck shaft and he would have to move the engine or tansmission to get to it. another one said it is the cam sensor. which could it be please help. :sick:
    Thanks for the reply, sorry to take so long in answering. I haven't checked in for awhile.
    Anyway, still having the problem with the cam sensor...
    On real hot days, like now, it quits on me. I pour water over the cam sensor and cool it down, then it starts right up and I continue my trip.
    I really need to get answers to my questions in my previous post. I have to fix it myself, or find a inexpensive mechanic to do it. ( a Joke :>) )
    Any help and info will be appreciated.

Sam Nicholson
    I'm having problems with my cam sensor also, so I would check that out first.
    (The least expensive of two evils!!!)
    Also, have the spark plug coils checked out, I had them mess up on mine.
    I'm not sure that is what they are called, but they are located above each spark plug and supply the spark to the plugs. (one for each plug.)
    Pulling the engine/trans apart would be a last resort.
    Regards,
    Sam
  • kylbornkylborn Posts: 2
    I thought I would put in my 2 cents. I have a 2001 Tracker 2.0L with around 60k miles and I have been having the same trouble (Engine hard to start when hot and stalls when idling too long). My car has been in the shop since Monday (today is Thursday). It was tough for the mechanic to troubleshoot, but he seems confident that it is the camshaft sensor assembly. Sounds like it is going to cost me a little over $500 for parts and labor. Maybe I'm getting ripped off, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I didn't find this forum until he told me it might be the camshaft sensor assembly.
  • trinajotrinajo Posts: 3
    I have my car fix for about a month let me pull out what they did .. one of them was a cam sensor and there was something else that went wrong.. I will try to get back on the chat board to tell you what they did to fix my car.

Katrina
  • tiso_ustiso_us Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I have a 1998 chevrolet tracker that has 127,890 miles, 16 valve,1.6 liter engine. ran good until one day my daughter drove it to the minute mart, she got back in to start it, would not start.

I went and got the car and brought it to the house. I checked the fuel line including the fuel filter....all OK. I checked the timing and replaced the timing belt(wore out). checked the spark on spark plugs...yellow spark, it tries to start when I try and hold the peddle half way, pushing the peddle to the floor floods it. I also checked vacu hoses and nothing seems out of place. Thank you in advance.
  • tiso_ustiso_us Posts: 2
    I need to make some corrections. first off spark plug had a bright white spark, not a yellow spark, this was based on someones word until I checked it out myself.

I did a compression check on the no.1 cyl and the no. 4 cyl. no.1 had 105 and no.4 had 97, do not have an idea what these cyl are on compression.readings.

The fuel pump's ok and getting fuel to the carb. took the plug wires off(1 and 2), and cranked the engine, than took two of the spark plugs out(1 and 2), no gas or gas smell but had oil on the no.1 plug, and on the no.2 plug I had a faint smell of gas and oil covered plug.

I am suspecting bad or clogged fuel injectors. your thoughts please. thank you.
  • george114george114 Posts: 10
    Sounds like the alternator may be going bad, thus not keeping the battery at full charge.
  • playpalplaypal Posts: 1
    It would not turn over. A friend who works at a Chevy garage came to look at it before taking to his home for repairs. I told him that the man who came to jump the car, said he thought it was the belt, chain or the spark plugs. The car sounded like it was turning over like a rolling barrel with no spark and not starting. Not grinding, it just needed some OOMPH. Anyway, the friend fixed the problem for 200.00. It was in the place where the spark plugs are. ( dont ask, I dont know the name of this stuff) The oil had GUNKED up around the stuff and there was no compression. or very little. He said the Trackers and the Cobalts have little holes where the oil goes thru. He said if I had taken the car to the dealership, they would have shipped out the transmission or where the plugs are and would have charged me with 600.00. So he used a jug of cleaning stuff, put new oil in and new plugs. My car sat for 8 days while I was on vacation. Time for the oil to gunk up. It has 83,000 miles and I DO changed the oil regularly. This time it may have gone over the regualr time. Hope I have helped someone with the vague explaination from this woman.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    if you change your oil regularly and it gunked up from sitting for 8 days i want to know what kind of oil you use. I have my same oil in my 2.5litre tracker for 11 months now and i sometimes dont drive it for 2-3 weeks at a time. But i am using synthetic oil. I change it once a year and oil filters every 6 months.. Btw do a google search for (autorx) since you were talking about engine gunk... 8)
  • I have a 2003 Chevy Tracker, 2liter, 4door, fuel injected with 60k miles. It works great most of the time. sometimes after driving for a while and stopping for a few minutes it will not start, it turns over tries to start but cant. If I leave it for 5 to 10 minutes and try again it starts and runs good.
    Anybody got any ideas!
  • Hey, I am having the exact same problem with my wifes 2003 4door 2liter Tracker. Did replacing the Cam Sensor fix your Tracker? Were you able to do it yourself? And was it expensive?
    Thanks
  • Hello All. I have a 2002 Chevy Tracker 2.0 L 4wd automatic transmission. It has about 70,000 KMs. Sometimes when I drive it, regardless of weather, it will stall when I am slowing down to take a turn or stopping. When it stalls it'll restart but then the RPMs drop to 0 and it stalls again. If I leave it for 15 minutes it'll start and stay going. It may go weeks without stalling, but I can't trust it enough to drive in the city. If I keep my foot on the gas I can keep it going. I have had it to 5 different garages and nobody can pinpoint the problem. It isn't throwing any codes. EGR is fine, and I also had a new O2 sensor put on. I had a new catalytic converter put on before, and a new starter. I am going out of my mind. All mechanics seemed convinced its not a fuel pump or filter. Throttle valve is fine. HELP!
  • sounds like vapor lock, fuel pump, like on the older cars.
  • I have a 2000 tracker, 2.0 engine 4wheel drive automatic with 36.000k, it started to stall on me 2 or 3 times while I was driving but i kept it running by pumping the gas peddle. then one day my wife came home after running some errands. when i tried to start it later it wouldn't start, one mechanic couldn't fix it, the other one i took it to put a timing chain on it and it runs fine.
  • Thanks, I'll call my mechanic!!
  • I did go trough these messages posted on this forum and everybody is mentioning the camshaft sensor responsible for the stalling and stopping when the engine is getting warm.Somebody can give me an ideea were is located,and how much will cost ?Thank you!