Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• To Claudiucet,
    The sensor on my 2003 Tracker is at the firewall, top of the valve cover. It's about 3 inches in diameter. I had my mechanic buy it and put it in, as it has to be adjusted correctly when installed. He is expensive, I know, and charged me 450 bucks, but that is because of where we are in the middle of nowhere. I had read of the same thing costing about 250. It works fine, no more stalling.
  • Thank you for your response ...really appreciated...the scary part is to buy the part!Very hepful your respose!
  • Hi,
    I replaced my cam sensor about 3 monrths ago...
    ... cost me $98.00 at AutoZone. It does need to be adjusted, but may reduce the cost if you install yourself and have the Mech. adjust it.
    (You might want to do it with the Mech. close by, as it may not run properly if it isn't installed close to the same setting as the old one.)
    There are a bunch of messages concerning this problem, if you do a search in any category with Trackers in it and use my name, snichol, you will see a history about it.
    Hope it helps.
    Snichol
  • Hello. I have a 2000 Tracker 2-dr 1.6L with 4WD. Mileage is 70K. Purchased this car about 4 months ago with only 63K on it and I believe most of the miles were from being pulled behind an RV. Car was in excellent working condition.

The car has not given me a single problem until last week. I parked the car in the garage and went on vacation. Car was parked for about 4 days and a friend started the car up and it ran fine, but she didn't drive it. I returned from vacation 3 days later and the car won't start. It has full power and tries to turn over but sort of "coughs" (for a lack of a better word) and won't start. I checked the fluids and the antifreeze and radiator appear full and normal. Oil was low so I added a quart. It was suggested I add the gas additive "heat" to the fuel so I did, in an attempt to void any moisture in the gas tank. Upon opening the fuel cap, there was a lot of pressure released. Battery water level is normal and power appears to be full when I turn the key to the "on" position.

I wasn't sure if perhaps the weather temperature had anything to do with this problem. Temperature dropped to around 30 degrees, but the car was garaged the entire time. Anyone have any other ideas as to what might cause the car to not turn over?

Thanks so much for your help.
    Randi in Seattle, WA
  • I have a 94 Geo Tracker that started one day and after returning to it to go home, it just wouldn't start. People have took me that it might be the crankshaft sensor or the cam sensor. I been to Advance Auto, Auto Zone and NAPA and they both don't list either part for a 1994 Geo Tracker. They all said that I would have to buy the whole Distributor because both parts are in it. Please some one, anyone tell me what to do to get this tracker started.
  • hi, i have a 97 geo tracker and i had a problem similar to yours. I drove it fine, stopped to drop son off at school, shut car off and poof wouldn't start. I had full power just no crank, no cough, no nothing....found out that the plug for the starter sensor had come unplugged (major road construction..alot of bumps). If you look for the starter it will look like kind of a needle attatched to a wire, just plug it back in, and poof should start..at least mine did. The only problem is, that since the incident my service engine light came on, and now i have to replace the EGR valve..hope this helps, good luck
  • Hi,
    I'm having the same problem. Can you let me know if you got your problem solved and how?

Thanks
    TrackerTrev
  • scot223scot223 Posts: 8
    My daughter was driving on I-95 coming home from Va. and waiting to pay her toll and the Tracker stopped and would not start for a 1/2 hour. It then started and she drove home without a problem. At times it will just randomly stop after driving and then start after 10 minutes. I have had it to 2 dealerships and they could find nothing wrong. Last week after dropping off for an oil change the garage called her and asked her if she had a problem and she told them to wait 10 minutes and it will be ok...and it was. However, very annoying and will try this cam shaft senor solution. Thanks to all. Tracker is a 2000, with 75,000 miles on it and aside from this, runs great.
  • hey has anyone heard what the recall for a 2003 chevy tracker is?
  • I solved that intermittent engine shut off problem by having a new cam position sensor switch installed. I had my mechanic do it, and the cost was almost $400.00 for everything, but that was 6 months ago and I haven't had any problem since. I am in Hawaii, and everything is expensive here, you should be able to get it done for much less. The switch alone is about $100.00. In the meantime, take out the thermostat or have that done, and that should keep the engine cooler unless you are idling or in heavy slow traffic. I have heard that if you get stuck, you can slowly pour about a liter of water directly on the switch and that will get you going again right away. The switch will be on the top of the engine, at the back right against the firewall, usually a black plastic color. Good luck
    I believe it had something to do with steering and not this problem of start stopping
    My daughter is taking it to the shop on Monday after having the problem of not starting and finally re-starting after a few minutes, usually 10 minutes, then starts as always. I hope this cam sensor solves the pain and frustration of this strange problem
    Well, the final cost from the Cam Sensor was $288. I hope this ends her frustration, since this is the only thing that has ever went wrong with this baby SUV.
  • palkopalko Posts: 16
    I have a 2004 Chevy Tracker 2.5L V-6 with 62000 miles on it that is starting to have a cold rough start problem when it sits for( lets say) 2 days. The engine feels like it is only firing on less than 6 cylinders. Then it smoothes out quickly. I haven't changed out the plugs yet (manual says 60000 miles). Once warmed up this thing runs and starts normal. I've tried STP fuel additive to remove any water. Any ideas? Do I need to get it to a shop for an OBD-2 scan?..thanks
  • I see the cam sensor seems to very in price from $72-$350 what is the difference
    and how many different sensors are there?
  • xcaligurlxcaligurl Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2003 Tracker and after having it 3 days I drove 30 miles with AC off filled the tank drove home 30 miles with AC on got in the driveway shut off car, maybe five minutes got back in, car would not start acted like it was out of gas. Waited about 15 minutes got in it started no problem. Took the car in to mechanic not throwing any codes mechanic could not recreate (dont think he really tried). Second time drove 30 some miles again AC off,on way home AC on got back into town another 30 miles filled up the tank within minutes the car was coughing like it was out of gas had to push it four block to get it home. Again after it cooled started no problem. Second trip to mechanic still not throwing code. Changed fuel filter put some fuel cleaner in. Said that would fix it. (Myself thinking nahuh) Third time. Drove it approximatley 10 miles with AC on shut it off went to start it up wouldnt start just like it was out of gas. Finally got it cooled and started made it almost home and started coughing like out off gas again. Cough, Die, ect. Mechanic now says it is the catalytic converter. Well I read online that a clogged converter is a symptom not the actual cause and if we dont fix the underlying cause it will just happen again. Any suggestions? It has already gotten expensive considering this is a new used car to me but Id rather just take care of it all now instead of every weeking taking it in again for more $s I dont have. I would appreciate any help! Thanks! Sharon
  • It sounds like you are having the same problem. Everything I have read seems to indicate the problem is with the cam sensor. They are saying the cost runs from $30 to $500
    Ever since we replaced the cam-sensor she has not had any problems. It has nothing to do with AC or Catalytic converter. The job cost us under $275 if I remember, and no more problems. They are dependable cars and she makes short runs around town and back and forth from VA to NJ. With peace of mind driving. The cam-sensor was the answer and after going to "3" dealerships...I found the answer here. Good Luck
  • thank you xcaligurl i will try it
  • xcaligurlxcaligurl Posts: 3
    Thank you both for your responses. After dealing with the mechanic that was going to rip me off I called around and took it to some else. Within the hour they told me the cam sensor which is going to run like 450 with Labor and once they fixed that they did indeed say I need new converters. Not really so bad when you find out the EPA passed a law in 96 that states if your Cat converter goes out and the vehicle is less then 8 years or 80,000 miles it is covered under warranty. >>:O~) You just take it into a chevy dealer. So needless to say I am almost a happy camper. Just a few more days and I will have my car back! Thanks again!