Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro Electrical Problems

Comments

• jrbudgejrbudge Posts: 7
    My problem is a combination; when I hit the headlight switch, the lights come on but the instrument panel lights and taillights don't. I recently discovered that if I pressed the bottom half of the switch first everything would work fine. It gets weirder: before discovering the switch trick, when I turned on my hi-beams, the taillights and dash would come on very faintly. But if I kept the hi-beams on for very long, I would lose headlights altogether. So now, after discovering the switch trick, everything seemed fine for a couple weeks until 2 nights ago I was driving with the hi-beams on and everything went black. I discovered this tonight: When I squeezed the headlight switch(the back part that you don't normally see), it would randomly make the headlights and the dash lights go on and off. Sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes both. I'm going to get a new switch and hopefully report back with some good news.
  • jrbudgejrbudge Posts: 7
    I was finally able to pinpoint the problem... headlight switch, mine anyways
  • rixterrixter Posts: 1
    I have an old Safari and the cruise stopped working. Intermittent at first and now nothing. Does anybody know where the 'cruise control module' is located? That would get me started! Tks! Rick
  • pcouplandpcoupland Posts: 2
    From reading all the various posts I can now see that my windows that won't open when it gets too warm, or close when it gets too cold are standard. The a/c and fan also only work intermittantly.

I am considering taking it to a garage to see if they can fix any of these, as the window problem seems to be getting worse, but from reading the archives it looks like this might be a waste of time. Several people say it cost a lot of money and the problems persisted.

I'm a pretty handy person, though I stopped working on my cars when the engines began to get too complex for me (about 1992).

Does anyone have any opinions about whether I should try and fix these issues on my own, or if it's worth taking the car to a professional?

Penny
  • pcouplandpcoupland Posts: 2
    I had no replies to my post after 7 days. I guess this site is just a way of getting spam into more people's inboxes and trying to get them to read the car ads on this page.

For anyone who ends up on this site searching for info about their safari electrical problems, read on. I took the van to the garage who assured me it would probably be the motor or the circuit breaker. It isn't either. The motor doesn't get power when it warms up and hence doesn't work. This is pretty much what I told them.

They have now had the van for 24 hours and I need it by the end of the day whatever. They may or may not have found the problem by then..

So the conclusion - live with the problem, it's a GM thing (as you can tell from all the other posts on this issue). Learn to live without opening windows (or a/c or fans). Garages don't know how to fix it and will charge huge labour costs to tell you what you already told them.

Penny
    PS I'm also going to stop using my electronic locking system and lock all doors by hand with the key to make sure. If you read the posts on that you'll see that these are also faulty.
  • susieq54susieq54 Posts: 4
    Try astrosafari.com, it's definitely an improvement over this website. My mechanic advised me that these rigs had a history of nothing but trouble, after reading the messages posted here I came to the same conclusion. I sold it two weeks ago. Good Luck to the rest of you Safari owners, try astrosafari.com, you'll actually get some answers there!

Susan
  • I was driving along a gravel road a few nights ago and just lost power. It happened earlier that day, and start right back once I was off the road. On the gravel road it would do nothing. All that would work and still works is the horn and head lights. Dash lights, emergency flashers, blinkers, and digital dash does not work and it will not turn over or do ANYTHING. Please help me its a great rig other than this problem.
  • fixitrodfixitrod Posts: 67
    On my 1995 Safari w/ 260000 miles the brake lights don't work. I have replaced all bulbs and rear light sockets, high mount light bar and the brake light switch attached to the brake pedal and still no brake lights . The rear lights work however.The fuses are OK Any suggestions appreciated?
  • The driver's cigarette lighter is out, I need my ipod! Where do I look for the fusebox?

I heard there are two, and I can't find one.

This is 2000 GMC Safari
  • My daytime running lights (DRL) have stopped working on my 2001 Astro. Regular lights come on automatically as usual. Any advise please. Thank You.
  • dlm1954dlm1954 Posts: 57
    I have a astro van that keeps burning up fuel pumps and it is a ventilation problem but I can't figure it out and wondered if anyone had the same problem and figured it out.

dlm1954
  • Today I was unable to switch off the high beams on my 1994 Astro.

Pulling back on the lever does not produce the click and the switching off of the high beams. No amount of pulling, pushing or twisting will make the high beams switch over.

The wipers work, the turn signals work... just not the high beams.

What do I need to do to replace this? Remove the steering wheel? How hard is this? Is it a do-it-yourself thing or something best left to the dealer?
  • dlm,

There are several possibilities causing these problems. There are all electrical in nature, so feel free to ask questions if unsure of something I have said.
    1. Are you sure of the quality of the fuel pumps you are purchasing?
    2. Are you using the cheapest fuel available where you drive? Do you keep the fuel tank at least 1/4 full?
    3. It is possible for either fuel filter to restrict the delivered fuel, either starving the pump, and overheating it, or the pump could be trying to overcome a restriction, causing an increase in current draw.
    4. Was thge fuel pump relay replaced at the time of the pump replacement, every time? A damaged pump can damage the relay, causing subsequent pump failures. ray
  • Normally, the clock should continue to run, but the display should go dark when the key is removed from the cylinder. 250 ma, or .25 amps is excessive, regardless of the vehicle in question. This can drain the battery, and can permanently damage the battery. Try disconnecting the fuses for the clock and the radio, and check for the drain again. It is possible that there is a connection problem on the radio, causing it to draw current with the key off. Ray
  • GR,

Most of the time, the computer part number is on the computer itself. If you describe the issues you are experiencing, I can help you solve them. Ray
  • These issues appear to be related to the BCM, or body control module. Your description of the issues experienced lead me to suggest checking all of the vehicle's grounds. Ray
  • JC,

Normally, the fuse box is fed by what is described as a fusible link. This link appears as a large wire, red in color, and burns through in the event of a short. These links are typically connected to either the starter, or directly to the battery, and cab be checked by gently pulling on them. If the insulation stretches, the wire is burned, and it can be reconnected using a yellow butt connector. Do not bypass the link, as it is the circuit's only protection, and if bypassed, can lead to a nasty fire. Ray.
  • It is likely that the bulbs are causing the circuit breaker in the switch to cycle, likely due to the draw of the bulbs. You may need to run the bulbs to a relay, using the switch to power the relays only. Ray
  • Where is locate the blower motor resistor/realy pack on 99 gmc safari ? Thanks
  • My wife went to the store last night and when she started to leave the van didn't have any headlights or power to the ignition system.The van cranks fine but evedently isn't getting power to the ignition,because the headlights aren't working either.The dash lights and everything else work fine but the headlights and ignition aren't getting any power.The book says there is a 40 amp battery fuse under the hood but I have never seen it.Any help would be greatly appreciated,maybe someone out there has had the same problem before.
    dlm1