Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro Electrical Problems

1234568»

Comments

• you are my hero 97 astro conversion f&^%% around 3 hrs auto zone said it was battery came inside did google search found your thread 7 min later van started if you are ever around Cleveland ohio im buying just email me who ever USES these battery guards good luck now i have to be nice to girlfriend because the only thing cranking around here was me ////////
  • Its very likely that your ABS Module needs to be refurbished. Mine was doing exactly the same. Vibrations seemed to set it off and both BRAKE/ABS lights would come on until I turned the car off. It is a popular problem with the modules.

The fix was less than $100 dollar and it was very easy.

There are two companies that do this and give you a warranty for their work:
    ASI (Automotive Scientific Inc) www.AUTOECU.com (HINT: their Ebay listings are way cheaper! http://myworld.ebay.com/ate1234)

And the other company is Module Master: http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

You can ship it to them and still drive your vehicle. Your brakes will work just fine, but the ABS feature won't until you replace the controller. Just make sure you cover the other half of the ABS unit on your car. You'll want to protect it from debris and water.

Best of luck.
  • These problems seem related, all started around the same time - won't start on 1st key turn, if doesn't start on 2nd try sometimes won't start for a long time, minutes, hrs. or even days. The heater and the A/C won't work. Massive loss of power and tremendous fuel consumption. Shifting from 1st to second hesitates. If you have any clues or solutions, I'm all ears. Thank you so much.
  • rpeprpep Posts: 4
    Thanks for your input. Sorry it took so long to answer. I was out of the country for a few months.
  • Hi, I had this problem several months ago. My GMC Safari has 121k miles on it. I It wouldnt start it cranked. but no ignition. and when I turned the key off the engine jerked. it sat for a week.
    My friend and I tore into every thing. Finally I got it towed to a shop they found the wire connection to the coil damaged. It seems a Neoprene foam rubber jacketed A/C hose that curves around and runs along the right side above the Rocker cover vibrates and damages the wiring going into the connector. I bought a coil, a Ignition module from a Upull-it bone yard to confirm. I am currently dealing with the same hose taking out the wires leading into the 4wire ignition module. I found out by pushing the wires in and it started fine. I tied the A/C hose and the big wire loom together downward away from the coil area. Vibration wear is a concern. BTW check the upper Radiator hose, brother.
  • johsjohs Posts: 1
    I have a 96 GMC Safari, the blower (heater seems to work but not the fan) has been intermittently working, hadn't worked for a month then jumped in and went just fine. As well as that when the blower stopped going for a month or so the cruise control stopped working as well. When the blower fired up again so did the cruise control.
    Not a wiz on these things at all so a bit of direction would be much appreciated. Hoping it is a, fix it my self problem and thinking electrical as is intermittent.

Any help would be really appreciated!
  • My 2005 Astro has a strange issue, diving the gauges appear normal. I shut the van off and the gauges go off, take the key out and after 20 seconds or so the gauges power up, reinserting the key makes them go off again, any insight?
  • 2001 GMC Safari AWD, Lost power to Headlights (low and high) Daytime running lights as well as Dome lights and no control to remote door locks. Security dash light is now on all the time. Changed relay with no results. park, brake, dash and signal lights ok..
    This one's got me stumped..Any thoughts??
  • I have fixed this problem on every Astro/Safari that is older than 4 yrs old. It has always been fixed by replacing all of the vacuum lines on the passenger side around the A/C area. There is one line that runs across the front of the engine compartment (hard small black plastic tube which is often found in pieces). Replace all with good, new rubber vacuum hose of good quality. The old hoses often come out in pieces and come apart all over your hands when touched. Pay special attention to the long hose which connects to a vacuum reservoir which is behind the passenger side wheel. The hose is often found off the nipple on the reservoir. This connection can only be seen with a mirror or felt for with your hand unless you take off many parts which hide it.
1234568»