Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Start Stall and Idle Problems

bobby7809bobby7809 Posts: 1
edited December 2013 in Honda
I have been having problems with my car stalling out while driving. Once I pull off and put in neutral, it will restart. What could be the cause of this?

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Check if the ignition switch recall has been performed.
  • jeranejerane Posts: 2
    My friend had the same problem with her 2004 CR-V. The dealership couldn't find out what was wrong with it after 6 weeks so she ended up buying a 2006. Good Luck :(
  • Did you ever figure out what was causing the problem? I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey that is doing the same thing.
  • Check the rotor if it's coroded. Renew or use fine sand paper to clean the corrosion. It's better to do the complete tune too.
  • jason32jason32 Posts: 1
    it sounds like the electrical portion of the ignition switch, your local dealer can run a vin-stat for you to see if your crv was one of the vehicles that fall under the campaign. if the recall has been done then you'll probably have to pay out of pocket
  • albert25albert25 Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 CR-V with ~94,000 miles. In the last few days I have had 3 incidents where I will drive the car for ~ 10 minutes and then it will die. I still have dash lights, radio, 4 way flashers. After about 3 minutes I start the car up and drive it for 30 minutes without any problems. I have had the recalled ignition switch replaced. The vehicle normally runs smooth and is fairly well maintained. After the first incident I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and plugs. The problem happened on 2 of my next 3 drives (this is a commute so my time is usually consistent). Thanks for any help - Al
  • If anyone could help here, I would really appreciate it!
    A few days ago my husband noticed some clutch problems. He consulted the manual and our favorite shade tree mechanic and was told to add fluid. He did that, but the car wouldn't start. We thought it was from sitting in the cold without running for a few days (it's been very cold here), but it still wouldn't start that afternoon. The clutch feels fine now, and the engine "wants" to turn over, but won't. I don't think it's the battery because the engine makes noise and dash lights and everything come on. We really haven't had any trouble with this car for the 6 years we've had it. So we are really stumped.
    Is the check engine light on?

When were the valves adjusted last time?
  • We had the valves replaced a couple years ago. No dash lights have been coming on. We do all it's regular maintenance at the dealership. We are now thinking it's the clutch because when he went to try and start it again it won't go into gear. I think we are going to have to have it towed to a mechanic . . .
  • freefacefreeface Posts: 1
    1998 CR-V that I bought new, 151K, automatic. Problem is that I'm going down the highway and suddenly I hear a click and the engine cuts off.
    Or I put on the turn signal and the engine cuts off.
    Starts right away everytime and I can go for days without it happening then it will happen 2,3 or 4 times in one day.
    Any ideas? Of course, when my mechanic drives the car, it never happens.
    Is it okay to put the car in neutral while it is going 50-60 mph, restart and put back in drive?
    Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Is it okay to put the car in neutral while it is going 50-60 mph, restart and put back in drive?

You can probably do that but I recommend getting to the root of the problem. From your description, it sounds like an electrical circuit breaker in the engine is being tripped. This may be a problem with the circuit breaker itself or some other electrical problem (overloading, short circuit, etc.) triggering it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Has the ignition switch recall benn performed?

Have the valves been adjusted at 30,000 mile intervals?
  • tierod1tierod1 Posts: 2
    HI Albert25,
    Did you ever resolve the stalling problem?
  • marcuscrvmarcuscrv Posts: 4
    I have a 1997 honda crv with 195,000 miles on it. The car recently has been giving me problems. When the car is driven for a while and it warms up it stalls. The first time this happened, the car started right back up, however the last three times it happened, the car just cranks. Then when the car cools down it starts. I have had the recall done on the ignition switch at 145,000. I had similar stalling problems, but it always started right back up. This time it usually takes 30 min to start up again. I never have had the fuel filter replaced because the dealer told me that honda does not recommend it. The cap and rotor were changed 25000 miles ago. I am wondering if it could be a faulty coil or another ignition switch or the fuel pump? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Marc
  • ruthmandogruthmandog Posts: 1
    MY CRV WILL NOT IDLE WHEN PUT IN DRIVE OR IN PARK. REPLACED THE IAC VALVE, WATER TEMP SENSOR, THERMAL VALVE AND MAP SENSOR. TRIED TO ADJUST TIMING, IDLE AND RESET COMPUTER WITH FUSE 7A. WITHOUT RESULTS. I HAVE POSTED RECENTLY WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO FIND THE ANSWER ON THIS WEB IN SPITE OF BEING NOTIFIED BY E-MAIL THAT AN ANSWER IS AVAILABLE. NEED BETTER WEB AND LINK ICONS.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    Hey Ruthmandog,

You posted over in Edmunds Answers and that's where you got a reply:

Edmunds Answers

Stick around the forums - you might get some more info here too.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

B-series engine in the CR-V needs to have the valve lash adjusted every 30,000 miles. If they are not adjusted, the valves will tighten and will eventually press the valve seat into the head and will burn the valves.

If you are under 90,000 miles, you may get Honda to pay for half or all of the $3500 repair. If you are over 90,000 miles, the valves should have been adjusted at least once as per owner's manual, or 3 times as per shop manual. Honda made a mistake in the Owner's manual by stating 90,000 mile interval. And as result of that, they will pay for repairs associated with the mistake, if the vehicle is under 90,000 miles. If the vehicle is over 90,000, then it was the owner's responsibility to ajust the valve lash at 90,000 miles.
  • mvkmvk Posts: 8
    I am having the same problem with my 2004 HONDA CRV which has 90,000 miles. It has been in and out of the dealership since May 1, 2008. We have had the serpentine belt replaced, the idle re-calibrated, the spark plugs replaced and just recently the whole throttle body along with a thermal sensor replaced. I asked about the ignition switch and was told that was not the issue. I am in contact with HONDA corporate but no one can seem to find what is causing my car to stall. The car stalls when you are going about 40-50 miles per hour and then drop it in neutral say for a turn, stop, etc.
    The car stalled on me on a busy intersection, I refuse to drive it until the problem is 100% corrected. I am 7 months pregnant and I can not put a newborn in this car. For once, I can say that I do not feel safe in a HONDA. At this point, I am at a loss and need help getting this situation remedied? Am I better off trading in the car?
  • beardjrbeardjr Posts: 4
    wow! you sound almost exactly like us. for about a year now we've had the same problem with out '01 crv when you downshift (like into 2nd for a turn) and in the middle of the turn it will cut off. since its in gear and rolling we just pop the clutch back off and it'll cut right back on. it seems to only to it when its within the first 10 minutes of driving. honda dealer said there was a code that would pop when they diagnose it on the computer and they reset it twice. we wound up having them change the idle something or other and then it kept up and they said it was the o2 sensor. we are fed up with it and my wife is now 6 months pregnant and i don't want her running around in it. so a local garage we trust more that honda said it was the throttle positioning sensor. we are thinking about doing that but its only available through honda and its $700...without labor!! hope that helped and good luck.
  • mvkmvk Posts: 8
    I understand your frustrations, especially when your wife is pregnant because it is scary and could lead to an accident. I am in the same position and I will not drive the car. This was supposed to be our family car and a Honda with 90,000 should last us another 5 years. Have you called the corporate office? I have been dealing with them and the dealer on this issue. I would suggest calling them as well. They last told us it was the throttle body. We had the whole throttle body replaced along with the intake air bypass control thermal valve. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem. It has been in and out of the dealer for 8 weeks and the car is going back in tomorrow. I would hope that a reputable company like Honda would not want to be liable for an accident or worse of any of its customers, especially a pregnant woman or a newborn baby. I will let you know if they fix it this time, if not, we may seek further action. This should not be happening and you should not be fixing the car on your dime, it appears to be an engineering issue not a "wear and tear" issue. Let me know if they are able to fix your vehicle and I will do the same.