Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• beardjrbeardjr Posts: 4
    i will remember that and keep you posted as well. good luck and thanks.
  • I am having the same problem. My car stalls every time i slow down to make a turn or stop at a light. I have spent $900 at the Honda dealler already. They told me that I had bad gas. I still have the same problem. The check engine light comes on some times and some times not. I am very worried because it is the second 2004 Honda crv I have owned in 6 months. The first one that I bought burst into flames while I was driving down the highway. I asked icbc if this happens a lot and should I get a new one and they said it was a great suv. So I bought a new one only to get this never ending stalling problem. It has been to 3 mechanics and Honda dealler and nobody knows what is wrong with it. I also have 90,000 miles on it.
    Did anyone with this problem ever get it solved?
    Someone please help....I don't want to keep spending money for the same problem.
  • mvkmvk Posts: 8
    It has been 10 weeks and my car is still not repaired. It went back to the Dealer last week. I live in NJ and it is at the Causeway Honda Dealer. The car went back in last week, and I have called two days straight to find out the status of my car. Needless to say, I am still waiting for a reply from the Dealer. I work in a law firm so I think at this point I am going to take further action. I think there is something wrong with the 2004 SUV. You really should call Honda Corporate and make them aware as well. You can even tell them you know you are not the only one with this issue. At this point, I have letters going to various individuals to put them on Notice. I am sickened over the lack of help, I am getting. Plus, as I have stated previously I am pregnant and I need a safe vehicle. I cannot imagine Honda wanting to put there reputation on the line. I do not want to deal with his aggravation 10 weeks before my baby is due. ALL I WANT IS A SAFE CAR. Do not spend money on the car, call Honda Corporate. Why should you be responsible? Did you build the car? You may be covered by the Used Car Lemon Law depending on your state, if you bought it Used. If you bought out your lease you are not covered by the Used Car Lemon in certain states, however, you may covered by another statute under Consumer Frauds or some DMV's have a Failure to Repair to protect consumers like us. Please keep me posted. I have a feeling we are not going to be the only people with this issue. If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, I would like to know.
    The stalling issue has not been resolved and my car is still at the Dealer for repair. I spoke with Honda Corporate and they told me they will keep the car at the dealer as long as the have too. I was told I was basically screwed if they cannot fix it, I will have my loan and be responsible for the payments and a car that stalls. I am grateful the dealer (Causeway Honda) has given me a loaner, however, I am making payments on a car that I am not driving. I have been a loyal customer to Honda and I am outraged that they will not act in goodwill to take this Lemon back or trade it in. The amount of money we(the Dealer and I) have spent on this car and the amount of time that has gone into the repair, it would have been more advantageous for them monetarily if I was able to trade in the vehicle or get a new car. Most importantly, I am appalled with Honda by their apathetic attitude of the safety of this vehicle. In speaking with them, I said to them their reputation would be tainted if something happened to me or a newborn baby and the reply was, "It would be sad." Can you say FORD PINTO??? I WILL NEVER BUY A HONDA AGAIN!!! I will tell EVERYONE I know about this experience!!! I already dissuaded a woman at work from buying one. It maybe be peanuts to them but now maybe she will tell someone, who will tell someone, etc.All I want them to do is the "right" thing. Maybe I am better off with an AMERICAN CAR I know of similar circumstances with General Motors, and they bought the car back!!!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I spoke with Honda Corporate and they told me they will keep the car at the dealer as long as the have too.

Ten weeks to get your CR-V working certainly seems excessive but it would appear that Honda is making a substantial effort to resolve the issue.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "Maybe I am better off with an AMERICAN CAR I know of similar circumstances with General Motors, and they bought the car back!!!!"

Could you please post the details? I don't know of any American manufacturer who bought back a car that was 4 years old. And out of warranty as well, or did you get an extended warranty?

I realize you are frustrated, but if you have no remaining warranty, Honda is going beyond the requirements in your case. They could just tell you to pound sand or pony up the $$.
  • I own a repair facility in Langley and have several customers who have recently reported this problem. I believe we have found the solution. It seems common that the ignition switch is the root of this problem. It is a relatively inexpensive repair. In some cases however it has been found that the distributor, which contains the control module for the ignition, can also be at fault. I suggest going to a reputable shop and having the ignition switch replaced first. It appears that Honda is considering a recall for this problem, so I would also considering phoning Honda and inquire about the ignition switch. Some people have even had Honda pay for the part.
    Thank you for getting back to me. I suggested to Honda Corporate and the Honda Service Department when I first brought the car in that I read about the ignition switch problems (especially in earlier models) however, they told me it is not the ignition switch because of the fault indications. They replaced the serpentine belt, throttle body (this is an issue in some Honda CRV's as well), spark plugs, relearned the idle, adjusted the valves and last the VTC Solenoid was replaced. The end result it still STALLS!! I appreciate your suggestion and if you can think of anything else let me know, please I am running out of time before my baby arrives. CRV= CANNOT REPAIR VEHICLE!!
    Now Honda told me if they cannot repair the vehicle that I will be stuck with a $14,000 loan . Honda corporate told me I was basically screwed. I was told Honda will not buy back this vehicle or trade it in because of this unresolved issue. So, I will be stuck with a car that I cannot drive and $14,000 in the hole.
    I was also told that if I got in an accident with this car and my soon to arrive baby, that it would be sad but there is nothing they can do. Furthermore, it was "suggested" that I may want to get my attorney involved. It is a shame because I have been a loyal customer for years and out of "goodwill" one would think they would do the "right" thing. What bad business, they just lost a loyal customer and I will pass the word on to everyone I know.
    We have an extended warranty on the vehicle that we purchased when we bought out our lease. However, they cannot figure out what is making the car stall. When they figure out the cause we will exercise the warranty and hopefully the part/service is covered under same.

In NY, there is a failure to repair rule with the DMV, I know of a situation with Cadillac, where the car was in and out of the shop where they could not repair a reoccurring problem. The vehicle was not covered by the used car lemon law in NY but the Dealer acted in good faith because of the safety issue on the vehicle. The car was about 5 years old in that case and over 100,000 miles.

In NJ, I would be covered by the Used Car Lemon except that I bought out my lease. If, I just bought this car USED this car under statute would be considered a lemon and they would have to buy it back. ( Now, I see why we have a Used Car Lemon Law) The NJ Lemon Law covers vehicles under 100,000, that have been in out of the shop more than 3 times during a reasonable amount of time ( mine has been about 6-8 times).

And you are right, they could tell me to pound sand, however, they are misrepresenting the safety and reliability of their product. Thanks god for Consumer Fraud statutes. A car stalling is a safety hazard and it would be a different story if the car could be repaired. Thank god we live in a country where we can exercise our rights, it would be a shame, if we all got STUCK with cars like mine. Plus, it is a Honda it is supposed to run forever; a 4 year old Honda is a BABY!!! This car should last for another 6 years which is why I and most people purchase Honda vehicles. A four year old Honda being OLD is just another misrepresentation on their part. Wear and tear is one thing, a reoccurring engineering issues is another this is how many class action lawsuits are born.

Thank you writing to me, and understanding my frustrations. I am sure you would not let your wife, daughter, son, etc. drive a vehicle like this one. Eventually, I hope this to all be resolved properly.
  • I would suggest to contact this person he is the best of the best when it comes to troubleshooting in regards to unsolved problems in the automtive world. His name is John Anello his website is autotechonwheels.com you can email him. He goes around to many place i.e. dealerships, garages. I know that he can resolve your problem. I hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Otto
  • I belive your problem could be one of the following sensors the crank or the cam sensor.

Otto
    Thank you very, very much and I am going to email him now. I really appreciate the information and will keep you posted.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "And you are right, they could tell me to pound sand, however, they are misrepresenting the safety and reliability of their product. Thanks god for Consumer Fraud statutes. A car stalling is a safety hazard and it would be a different story if the car could be repaired. Thank god we live in a country where we can exercise our rights, it would be a shame, if we all got STUCK with cars like mine. Plus, it is a Honda it is supposed to run forever; a 4 year old Honda is a BABY!!! This car should last for another 6 years which is why I and most people purchase Honda vehicles. A four year old Honda being OLD is just another misrepresentation on their part. Wear and tear is one thing, a reoccurring engineering issues is another this is how many class action lawsuits are born.

Thank you writing to me, and understanding my frustrations. I am sure you would not let your wife, daughter, son, etc. drive a vehicle like this one. Eventually, I hope this to all be resolved properly. "

Ah, a USED car lemon law! I don't think we have that here in CA...

I can't understand Honda sometimes. They will bend over backwards to some people and for others just stand pat. I am beginning to believe that there were some design issues with the Gen 2.

I was car shopping this last Feb, and I considered the CR-V. But I don't really like the styling (long story), and I wanted better gas mileage, so I'm driving a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, which has been very good so far ... for about 3 months now. But I am actually a bit more comfortable with Ford engineering over Honda. Each manufacturer has their own design style and engineering.

Good luck with your situation!
  • I'm at a complete loss as to why they would have replaced some of the components you've listed for a stalling problem, but I hope they didn't charge you for them! There is still a recall action for 97 to 99 CRV's concerning the ignition switch. I phoned Honda this morning to check, and found one of my customers still has an outstanding claim for the switch, so she will be going to Honda to have it replaced for free! If you're CRV falls into that year span, I strongly suggest making sure your ignition switch has been replaced before any more useless repairs are made. Just phone the service department, give them your VIN number, and ask if your vehicle qualifies for the recall. If all else fails and if you are in the Langley, BC area, give me a call and we can work it out before the stork arrives!
  • You are very welcome. He is the best of the best. Even dealerships calls him for problems they can not fix. Take care. Keep me posted.

Om
  • sceglascegla Posts: 20
    This may sound crazy but it ties into the ignition switch problem. Many years ago my uncle (who then owned a Ford and worked for Ford) had this weird problem where the car would intermittantly stall in turns or when coming to a stop. But it would always stall when he took a certain turn coming home from work.

The problem turned out to be too much junk hanging on his keychain. The extra weight on the keychain and the force that was added when turning or stopping cause the ignition switch to cut the engine.

Just a thought....
  • bigbevbigbev Posts: 3
    i need to know how to test the top dead cylinder position sensors in the distibutor, i have tested the crankshaft fluctuation sensor and it is good. the problem i am having is that the engine will not start but i have fuel and spark, the timing is also on. I need to what terminal to test and what kind of reading i should be getting out of them.

thanks.
  • What is the colour of the spark is it blue or orange? anything done before this happened? Is the spring for the coil still there?
  • bigbevbigbev Posts: 3
    the spark is orange in color, and yes the spring for the coil is still there, it is not my car so im not 100% sure if anything has been done but i do know that the car was running fine before this problem, i was told that it was running good then all of a sudden started to spudder and then stalled and and it hasnt started since. the book i have says to test the resistance between teminals 1 and 8 on the connector coming from the distributor, it says there sould be between 350 to 700 ohms and im only getting 1 ohm but im not sure if i am testing it right cause the book is not very clear on its explanation. some more help would be great.

thanks