Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Mercury soon be joining Plymouth and Oldsmobile?

Comments

• I have heard basically the same thing. Here on Inside Line, they said that Mercury will be adding a new small car. I think that is a great idea. With the way gas prices are, people from all walks of life are looking at smaller cars. Not everyone is going to want bare-bones econoboxes so a premium small car is a good thing. I wish GM would get that through their heads and bring over the small Buicks that are selling very well in China. Anyway, for Mercury to pull this off, they will need to make a vehicle that is unique from a Ford. What they don't need is a Tracer that is very much the same as a Focus with a different grille and tail lights.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    Yeah, and what they dont need is to eliminate 50% of their market right out of the box by aiming Mercury at females. Just how stupid is that?
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    Pretty stupid. That focus the last few years has done nothing but cost them sales.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Yeah, and what they dont need is to eliminate 50% of their market right out of the box by aiming Mercury at females. Just how stupid is that?

They used to run the commercial of a woman driving her male office colleague to a business meeting and meeting their female boss.

They also need some commercials showing a tall guy late 20's/30's with about 5-day beard stubble, in jeans and getting into Mercury with his actress-like female companion and he driving to "in" place.
  • wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    Having a local Mercury dealer keeps me happy with Ford products. I can use the Mercury place for any and all warranty work and other repairs and service I may not want to do myself. Otherwise, I'd have to use the local Ford dealer, and that is very unappealing to me. The broader point is that Lincoln Mercury dealers provide the benefits of "competition" with Ford dealers, thus favoring the customer.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    Excellent summary on the history of Mercury's brand differentiation. I agree with everything you said.

I imagine that Ford is quietly studying whether to invest more in Mercury to reinvigorate it, or to close the brand. So, in the future, you'll either see more aspirational and youthful Mercurys, in the spirit of the '49-mid '50s, and the Cougar, or no Mercurys. I don't know which it will be. Does Ford really need a middle brand? Arguably, it doesn't, if Ford models top out at entry luxury, and Lincoln begins there. On the other hand, it wouldn't be difficult to make a case for a middle brand, so long as it's differentiated from Ford and Lincoln. I have confidence that Alan Mulally will make the right call on Mercury. He's obviously acting deliberately, rather than hastily.

I think there's room for expansion of the Mustang line, plus a market for a RWD Lincoln 3-Series competitor, once Ford's financial condition improves.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,006
    One of the keys for Mercury is to move Lincoln further up market. If it stays "near luxury" it clouds the case for having Mercury. This is what GM is trying to do with Buick and Cadillac.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    I agree with you, especially if Ford keeps Mercury. Even if it does, though, Lincoln could continue to offer its MKZ, since Mercedes, BMW and Lexus offer their respective near-luxury C-Class, 3-Series and ES350. To your point, Lincoln could then add one or more upscale models to its lineup.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,395
    I've just returned from the winter car auctions in Scottsdale. General Motors, Ford and Lincoln were all present, exhibiting their current wares and offering test rides. Conspicuous by their absence were Chrysler Corporation and Mercury Division.
    I did not see a single new Mercury, not even the Milan which sells pretty well in Arid-zona.

As I was looking at the new Taurus it occurred to me that there doesn't seem to be a
    new Sable version even though it's big enough to serve as a replacement for the Grand Marquis.

It looks like Ford Motor Co. is going to let Merc die for lack of new product.
  • bigo08bigo08 Posts: 102
    I started this thing like over 3 years ago... :shades:
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,395
    I started this thing like over 3 years ago...

talk about a slow death. :sick:
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,660
    And so Mercury will join the other casualties of the new century:

READ ALL ABOUT IT

Will anybody on the highway notice?

Good idea or not?
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Ford can be like Honda and Toyota. Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus. Not sure why Toyota plugs along with Scion brand.

The article mentions an old movie having James Dean driving a Mercury and Five-0 tv series using big Mercury. Recall that Clint Eastwood movie "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" had bad guys driving a Mercury.

Except for James Dean customized Mercury, which copies can still be seen at hot rod, old car shows in the summer, there has never been a notable Mercury car.

Unless there are still Mercury "only" dealerships, there is absolutely no reason for Ford to offer Mercury. It is only diverting vital resources at Ford Corp that could otherwise be used to improve and refine the gold-plated brand of Ford, and rebuild the past fine image of Lincoln.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,594
    but I think it's probably the best decision, from a business standpoint. The brand has been languishing for years now, and it's time to put it out of its misery. I think Mercury made sense at one time when it was a step-up car between a Ford and a Lincoln. But for several decades now, there has been very little to distinguish a Mercury from the Ford it was badge-engineered from.

I wonder though, if the Lincoln dealers are going to make it on reduced volume. I read elsewhere that Ford wants them to either merge with local Ford dealers, or close down entirely.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    edited May 2010
    Mercury was Ford's Buick.

Interesting to see Buick get new legs, while Mercury goes into a death spiral. It's probably a sign that there's only room in the marketplace for one American brand that those 60 and over can relate to—and they will miss it dearly.

Wonder if this will hurt Mulally's (walk-on-water-do-no-wrong) image, or Ford's (Rise like a Phoenix) image when the deed is finally done?

Bob
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,594
    Interesting to see Buick get new legs, while Mercury goes into a death spiral. It's probably a sign that there's only room in the marketplace for one American brand that those 60 and over can relate to—and they will miss it dearly.

I think one advantage that Buick has is that it, at least, is a step up from Chevy. Mercury really hasn't been a step up from Ford in a long time...maybe the early 1990's?

Ford never really knew what, exactly, to do with Mercury division. It came out in 1939, as a mid-priced brand. IIRC, it was situated, price-wise, a bit above the likes of Dodge and Pontiac, but below DeSoto and Oldsmobile. In some years, it was a glammed-up Ford, while in others, it was a cheapened Lincoln. In 1957-60, Mercury got its own, dedicated body (although the bigger 1958 Edsels did share it) and tried to move a bit upscale. However, that move was a failure, and from 1961 onward the car went back to being a gussied-up Ford. And, over the years, as the Fords got nicer, they started encroaching into Mercury territory. And once downsizing hit Detroit, and the Lincolns got shrunken, that put a further squeeze on Mercury.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,979
    Another blurb:

Report: Wings to Fall Off Ford's Mercury Division (AutoObserver)

"According to data from Edmunds.com, Mercury is most-often cross-shopped with Ford. In April, 46 percent of Mercury buyers cross-shopped with Ford, 23 percent cross-shopped General Motors Co.'s Chevrolet, 22 percent cross-shopped Honda and 21 percent cross-shopped Toyota."
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    but i think Ford/Lincoln can divide up some of that.
    just like Ford after selling Jaguar and Volvo is in the process of moving Lincoln up market.
    Ford can also use some Mercury trims on future top of the line Fords.
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    I agree the brand engineering thing is lame. The Current Mercury offerings are all re-badged Fords so why compete with yourself? They spent the last 10 or 15 years letting the brand get stale. Who brags that they just bought a sweet Mercury anymore? It'll cost millions(hundreds of millions) to resurrect the product and lots of time(a decade) for people to come around. Letting it go is probably the most cost effective approach and apply the corporate assets on the Ford and Lincoln brands.

On an emotional side note, how cool would it be to take a Fusion, let Chip Foose work his magic and call it a Mercury Comet.....put 400hp in anything and its cool!