Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Perhaps, but we are limited to the gear ratios that the manufacturer chooses to use.
  • I'm looking at buying a 2002 Jetta GLS. It's in great shape, but is slow going into reverse when it's cold. Is this something that could be fixed easily or should I be worried the transmission is going out?
  • DO NOT BUY THAT CAR!!! I created an account just to reply to your post, so I hope you get this in time. I bought the same vehicle a year ago and shortly thereafter I started to have trouble getting it into reverse. Things started getting worse a couple months ago, and now it won't shift past 2nd gear. The dealership has advised that it needs a new transmission and quoted me $4200. So again, please do not buy this car. If you've already purchased it, SELL IT NOW!!!
  • well, I guess I know that there is fluid, but I never worried about adding any for a manual transmission. There is not dip stick to check the fluid for a manual, at least in my experience.
  • thedude13thedude13 Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I got a 2006 jetta 2.5 with 86000 miles. when I start to move from a dead stop the transmission slames into first and makes a clunking sound feels like its sloppy but shifts fine through the rest of the gears and it also slips a little in 2nd gear before the car warms up I also have 18" tall custome wheels on it i wonder if the big wheels trashed the transmission. any ideas besides selling the car
  • I have a VW jetta 2000 I recently replaced the transmission and the car ran good for about two months and all of a sudden it started having trouble shifting gears. It shifts gears but it changes from first to second while going about 35 with 400 RPM.

Does anyone know what i can do in order to fix this problem.
  • same thing happened to my 99 jetta, first try better gas. that solved most of my problems. at least 89 octane.. before i did that a few things helped. the main thing was the harness wires going into the transmission..but just try the gas first..let me know if the gas works for u!

Mitch
  • jaker7jaker7 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Jetta with 102k miles. I started it this morning and put it in reverse. It didn't move so I put it in drive and again it didn't move. It's as though it never leaves park or is in neutral, no movement whatsoever. My wife mentioned she noticed something similar while driving it last night. Otherwise I have had absolutely no previous problems. It would seem to be an electrical or computer problem but I have no mechanical smarts so I'm only guessing. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Thanks!
  • norasdadnorasdad Posts: 1
    we have similar troubles ..to check fluid have to pull plug on side of tranny ..but ours was checked and it was fine ...flushed tranny and still got probs ,,,... tranny has known valve body issues.. about a $650 part..plus labor and whatever
  • I owned a 2003 Jetta for the past four years. Over the past few months I noticed that when I would put it in drive that it would jerk really bad. Then it started doing it really bad when I was driving. I traded it in for a Honda Civic on Saturday after we found out on Friday that we would need a new transmission that would be $4000. I only got $4900 for trading it in so I was glad I didn't put the money in it. I was wondering if anyone else had problems with their 2003 Jetta.
  • alicia10alicia10 Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I have a 2004 and had to have my solenoids replaced as it was not the transmission causing the 2nd gear and reverse issues. Here's a link to research I did before taking my car to the shop. They didn't believe me so I printed and took this with me.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1474034-Automatic-Transmission-DIY\FAQ- -
  • ksen1ksen1 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I would really appreciate help. I have 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX with 104k on it. I bought this vehicle a couple of months back. Recently it has started to behave oddly by sometimes not shifting the gears, I have to press the gas harder and then it suddenly starts with a jerk. I get a rattling sound when its between 2000 and 3000 rpm just before it shifts to a higher gear. I don't know what the problem is but it seems very unsafe to drive the car.

Do you suggest to get the timing chain and tensioners replaced or would it be better to replace the engine with a new one. How much would a new engine cost, I would go for a manual trans with a lower config.

Thanks,
    Kunal
  • flip89flip89 Posts: 1
    Is it wise to trade a 2001 automatic Ford Focus that has 113,000 miles for a 2002 manual Volkswagen Jetta that has 100,000?
  • cacspautocacspauto Posts: 4
    edited April 2011
    I am done with SUV and low gas mileage , but need the cargo space , safety features and perfomance. I have fallen for the TDI sportswagon jetta with the DSG transmission. A VW mechanic told me to be wary of the Triptronic made in Japan to get the ones done in Europe. The transmission in the TDI is made in Germany yes ? I am on a budget and cannot afford heavy maintenance repairs . I want to make a change from gas guzzlers but am not ready for hybrids so i want diesel engine to travel long distances. Is the Audi stationwagon better investmente because it will break down less ?
    VW do not have a good maintenance reputation ,, the jetta ,, but maybe because it is not the diesel. The fact that they are put together in Puebla Mexico has something to do with its repair prone history ? what about the the recommended changing of the oll at 5k instead of 10 k because of some mechanical dysfunction I read in the forum ??
    A woman here who needs a station wagon and wants fuel economy . Should I buy the the wagon or not ,, have they improved from their bad reputation four years ago with their electrical system
    HELP ! thanks !
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,501
    I think the TDI is an excellent choice but personally, I'm not so sure the DSG is the way to go. If you can drive, or learn, a manual transmission, you'll be a lot happier in the long run I think. Just because something is brilliant doesn't mean it's reliable for the long haul. DSG problems have not been prolific at all, but when they DO happen, if you're not in warranty, you're going to take a huge hit on repairs.

If you could conceive of ditching the car while it was still in warranty, you might go DSG, because it works really well, but if you are planning on a 10 year ownership, I myself think it's a roll of the dice.

I don't see buying an Audi as in any way increasing your advantages.

DSG RECALL

• thank you for your feedback. I have been reading about the transmission issues. I was not clear whether the TDI DSG are made in Japan or not although the sticker says Transmission Germany .
    I have owned manuals most of my life , BMW 2002, Jeep Cherokee, CRV and then succumbed to automatic with the Highlander Limited I had to sell due to accident so this optional DSG seemed a like a happy return to " them days LOL " . My knees hurt when i drove the manual Jetta SpW TDI so I was not encouraged . But now what is really making not go for the Wagon is the CR very low reliability rating of the fuel system . The Golf TDI has better ratings. Do you know Why the sportwagon has such low ratings for the fuel system ? is the oil change frequency that one should do it at 5k instead of 10 k as recommended by VW ? the ' regenerating whatever " that needs to take place so the engine does not clog up ??
    The truth of the matter is that now I am between the Golf TDI and the Honda Fit which so much cheaper to repair and has good gas mileage , at least above 30 and is small and retains resale value so that perhaps I can buy a VW TDI sportwagon a few years when they get their fuel system act together.
    I want the diesel to enjoy cruising around more than city driving which I am not doing much these days . You are right , other posts allude that repair in Manual transmissions are less expensive ,, but the TDI manual transmission are made in Germany ? the whole thing or just part of it ?? I will try driving a manual tomorrow. I am just concerned that the fuel system and the Mexican Tortilla assembly is not reliable LOL ..
    thanks a mill
    cacspauto
    edited April 2011
    Here's info on the fuel pump issues:
    TDI HPFP PROBLEMS

I don't think that where the car/components are built has anything to do with their reliability except as it relates to management, not workers--and management problems can occur anywhere in the world.

• Thank you for the TDI article. After reading your Manual recommendation I went today to get back into a Golf and SPW. I love the DSG I must admit but $ considerations are important since I would want to keep the car for minimum 5 years and max 10 . I found that the Golf clutch experience is okay versus the SPW has a longer reach and the required pressure angle of my knee starts to hurt a bit . But I most definitely could handle the golf TDI but nobody seems to have any around perhaps because again there is news about the fuel system ? in the recent Bloomber article . ??
    thanks for your help I really appreciate it. With the fuel system probs would you recommend I go Subaru Forester or Honda Fit ? and wait for better perfomance ? I am so undecided , because I love the mileage in the TDI , and classy interiors ! cacspauto
    Well I'm not going to tell you what to buy. You should buy the car you like the most because you'll be living with it a while. I'd choose the TDI for myself because I think the Honda Fit is getting long in the tooth, is kinda pokey in acceleration and just isn't the front-runner it used to be---still, its a very useful and well-thought out car. The Subaru Forester strikes me as also yesterday's news, and it simply does not have the build quality of the VW.

I figure, what with a warranty and the Lemon Buyback laws, I'm personally willing to roll the dice on the TDI.

But that's just me. You may be more risk-averse than I am.

• Mr. Shiftright ,
    I do not understand how I missed this in the TDI forum because I researched the Spw with regular keywords , problems in this Forum and nothing of the fuel pump came up . Now thanks to your lead I found the entire detailed thread about this problem ! True that after reading CR and read fuel system problems I did not fuel system as a key word.. Oh well.. I think I am not going to buy this car yet .. what a shame but how do I find out that VW is actually doing something about it and since the NHTHSa is still investigating as of Feb 2011 ?
    thanks
    edited April 2011
    Well that kind of info takes time to extract and typically most automakers are rather tip-lipped about this sort of problem.

Best thing I could suggest is to check in regularly in our TDI forum right here and see how people are doing with their 2011s. My friends just bought one and so far so good (they have the manual transmission). It's likely that the fuel pump failures are only a small fraction of the total # of cars out there.

To give you an idea, a catastrophic failure rate for an automaker would be like 5-8%, and I doubt the TDI fuel pump failure rate is anything like that.

Edmunds TDI Topic

• cswaldencswalden Posts: 1
    I have a 08 Jetta Wolfsburg w/ 2.0T and DSG. We also own a 07 EOS with same engine / trans and an '10 Passat, also with same engine/ trans. I have noticed that the Wolfsburg seems to be geared differently than the other two cars. For example, at 60mph I am turning about 2500 rpm and at 70mph approaching 3k. My two other cars seems to be about 500 rpm less. Is the Wolfsburg geared differently for performance? (btw, the rpm measurements / comparisons are all in standard "D" (drive). Would appreciate some input on this, as I'm starting to think there may be an issue, even though the car shifts beautifully and when I check the gearing by putting into Tiptronic / manual mode, the car indicates I'm in 6th gear.
    Thanks for input and advice here.........
  • bruce97bruce97 Posts: 1
    I have had the tranmission looked a before to solve this problem without success. The mechanic says nothing can be done to correct it.
    I have to drive about 2-5 minutes in 1st gear before the transmission will shift to the higher gears. I was told the transmission was made by Mitsubishi and this happens sometimes. The thermastat was changed to try to correct it which did not work. It has to was up on its own by running awhile untill it starts to work normally. Does anyone know of an inexpensive fix for this problem?
    Has anyone scanned the car for trouble codes? Perhaps you have a bad transmission control module.

• Hello,

My jetta is shifting hard between 2nd n 3rd gears - I took it into the dealer and they said the valve body needs to be replaced. What i would like to find out is what i need to specify when looking for a reman Valve Body. Also, does anyone have any thoughts on just going for a reman transmission..? Or would that be too aggressive...? Anywho, if i could get some help with part #s or descriptions that would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Lance Womack
    No. Cal.
  • CLUTCH PEDAL IS ON THE FLOOR. NEW CABLE INSTALLED. NEW CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE INSTALLED. REMOVED TAILSHAFT COVER AND FOUND THE PLUNGER AND ROD ARE STAUCK IN. REMOVED PLUNGER AND ROD, NO DIFFERENCE. INSTALLED PLUNGER AND ROD AND TAPPED END TO TRY AND RELEASE WHATEVER MIGHT BE STUCK. NOTHING HAPPENED. WHAT NEXT. PLEASE, I NEED HELP ASAP!!
  • I have the exact same car as you (08 Jetta). My car runs the same as yours I don't think its a problem with the car. At 75mph I'm in the 2500-3000
  • This seems to be the same problem I'm having with my jetta I have had the tranny relaced 10 months ago now Its doing just as you described I dont know what to Do........ Please held
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    Three different cars, not all will be the same weight, or move though the air the same.
  • please file a complaint so we can get this taken care of and show there is a need for a recall. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/