Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    I am fully aware of the DSG xmission. It is really an automatic-manual. It uses 2 clutches to swap between enguaged gears.

A DSG can *match* a well-shifted manual... I feel it is impossible to do better than that.

HOWEVER: The cost, complexity and reliability of DSG can never even approach the simplicity and bulletproof reliability of a manual xmission.

Why -o- Why would I even consider paying nearly $1000 extra for a xmission that requires costly maintainance and will likey break before 200,000 miles?
  • katietttkatiettt Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    My son has a 1998 or 1999 VW Jetta wolfberg manual transmission. It goes into reverse hard, and then makes a loud bang and pops out of gear. Linkage or transmission? also, I have been seeing things about adding transmission fluid to a manual transmission. I thought there wasn't fluid in a manual.

Thanks ahead for any help.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    My kid had a 1996 and had to hold the shifter to keep it from popping out in reverse. He did this for a couple years and recently sold it as is. He said this was due to a common problem with the manual that eventually can lead to no reverse gear.

The brake fluid reservoir may supply fluid to the transmission, too...seemed strange to me, but supposedly that was the set up on my kid's '96.
  • Could be a lot of things. If the clutch is worn, he might not actually be all the way into reverse gear, and hence the violent disengagement. Sometimes having difficulty going into reverse is the first sign of a wearing clutch.

It could also have something to do with loose transaxle/motor mounts, or it could be, as you say, a linkage issue.

The worst case scenario is bent/damaged shifting forks in the transmission itself.
    You said ==> "I thought there wasn't fluid in a manual."

Are you serious? A transmission is full of bearings and gears. Without lubricant, it would burn up in about 10 miles.

The entire insides of a transmission (either Manual or automatic) is bathed in fluid to lubricate all the moving parts. Of course, due to the design differences, the type of fluid is different for each of them.
    You said ==> "The brake fluid reservoir may supply fluid to the transmission, too...seemed strange to me, but supposedly that was the set up on my kid's '96. "

Careful here... VW shares the HYDROLIC FLUID between the brakes and the clutch... but this is not the same the xmission-fluid inside the xmission which lubricates the moving parts.
    Ah, thanks for the explanation, that makes more sense. I had seen something or been told that brake fluid is also used by the manual transmission...thought it was strage as brake fluid did not seem like it would make a good lubricant.

So it is just that it has a hydraulically activated clutch (just like the hydraulically activated brakes)?
    Correct, the hydraulic clutch shares fluid resivour with the Brake master-cylinder.
  • 03_jetta_18t03_jetta_18t Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    My 2003 Jetta 1.8T has about 81,000 miles on it. Just the other day it started giving difficulty with 3rd gear. It is harder to put into 3rd gear and will also pop out of gear. Occassionaly it has a similar problem with 1st or 5th gear, but there are no problems with 2nd or 4th gears. Also, after taking the car out of reverse, the gear knob will stay depressed instead of popping back up unless I wiggle the shifter a couple times.

I have been told that possibly I am having problems with the gear syncros, but I am wondering if that's truly what's going on or if it's something else. Also, I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.

I know that I am probably going to need to take it to a transmission shop, however I am hesistant to go in without some background knowledge first. I really don't want to be told it needs unnessary repairs and end up with a very large repair bill.

Thanks for any help or advice that anyone has.
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    MPG of automatics equals or exceeds mpg of manuals when the automatics have taller gearing. Otherwise, manual wins. Many manufacturers consider the manual version of a car to be a sporty version in which acceleration, not mpg, is the priority. That is why many manual versions have lower mpg. Also, there are many tricks to driving with a manual that yields even higher mpg.
    Perhaps, but we are limited to the gear ratios that the manufacturer chooses to use.
  • I'm looking at buying a 2002 Jetta GLS. It's in great shape, but is slow going into reverse when it's cold. Is this something that could be fixed easily or should I be worried the transmission is going out?
  • DO NOT BUY THAT CAR!!! I created an account just to reply to your post, so I hope you get this in time. I bought the same vehicle a year ago and shortly thereafter I started to have trouble getting it into reverse. Things started getting worse a couple months ago, and now it won't shift past 2nd gear. The dealership has advised that it needs a new transmission and quoted me $4200. So again, please do not buy this car. If you've already purchased it, SELL IT NOW!!!
  • well, I guess I know that there is fluid, but I never worried about adding any for a manual transmission. There is not dip stick to check the fluid for a manual, at least in my experience.
  • thedude13thedude13 Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    I got a 2006 jetta 2.5 with 86000 miles. when I start to move from a dead stop the transmission slames into first and makes a clunking sound feels like its sloppy but shifts fine through the rest of the gears and it also slips a little in 2nd gear before the car warms up I also have 18" tall custome wheels on it i wonder if the big wheels trashed the transmission. any ideas besides selling the car
  • I have a VW jetta 2000 I recently replaced the transmission and the car ran good for about two months and all of a sudden it started having trouble shifting gears. It shifts gears but it changes from first to second while going about 35 with 400 RPM.

Does anyone know what i can do in order to fix this problem.
  • same thing happened to my 99 jetta, first try better gas. that solved most of my problems. at least 89 octane.. before i did that a few things helped. the main thing was the harness wires going into the transmission..but just try the gas first..let me know if the gas works for u!

Mitch
  • jaker7jaker7 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Jetta with 102k miles. I started it this morning and put it in reverse. It didn't move so I put it in drive and again it didn't move. It's as though it never leaves park or is in neutral, no movement whatsoever. My wife mentioned she noticed something similar while driving it last night. Otherwise I have had absolutely no previous problems. It would seem to be an electrical or computer problem but I have no mechanical smarts so I'm only guessing. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Thanks!
  • norasdadnorasdad Posts: 1
    we have similar troubles ..to check fluid have to pull plug on side of tranny ..but ours was checked and it was fine ...flushed tranny and still got probs ,,,... tranny has known valve body issues.. about a $650 part..plus labor and whatever
  • I owned a 2003 Jetta for the past four years. Over the past few months I noticed that when I would put it in drive that it would jerk really bad. Then it started doing it really bad when I was driving. I traded it in for a Honda Civic on Saturday after we found out on Friday that we would need a new transmission that would be $4000. I only got $4900 for trading it in so I was glad I didn't put the money in it. I was wondering if anyone else had problems with their 2003 Jetta.