Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

1141516171820»

Comments

• Is your car an automatic?

If it is then have a shop check your transmission. Sounds like there's a problem with the transmission.

More than likely it doesn't have to do with the timing belt or oil leak.

Here's some info about oil leaks in case you're interested in knowing: https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/oil-fluid-leak-inspection

Otto YM
    YourMechanic.com
    facebook.com/yourmech
    twitter.com/yourmechanic
  • kirouackirouac Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 2003 Jetta wagon TDI. Did you ever find out what it was? I would appreciate any feed back. No technician I've talked to seems to have a clue what it could be.
  • slomoshnslomoshn Posts: 12
    The issue was a faulty TCM (transmission control module) and the transmission wiring harness.

The error code causes the initiation of "limp mode" in the transmission. This restricts the transmission to 3rd gear to prevent damage until issue is resolved.
  • I am having the same problem now with my TDi. It started back in Jan. 2013. Did anyone ever find a fix for you? I'm tired of not having a ride.
  • jmb18jmb18 Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I have been having the same problem with my car with less than 66,000 miles. It randomly shifts into nuetral usually around 3rd gear and has some electrical issue that drains the battery if I do not drive it for a few days. The VW Dealer told me to replace the transmission for $7,000 and see if that fixes the problem. I have taken it to several other people and have been told it is the transmission, mechatronics unit, unknown electrical problem or no idea. I had the transmission fluid replaced and reflashed but did not solve the problem. I also wanted to see if anyone knows if this is the same transmission as the Audi 2002-2006 A4 or A6. They just settled a lawsuit stating the transmission was flawed. It would be nice to know exactly what is causing the problem before I start throwing more money at the car.
  • bullettranybullettrany Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    If the radio was installed rite there is no possible way the radio caused the computer to fail. Maybe if you shorted 2 wires together. If you herd that from the dealer that is false. Check Fluid get a clothes hanger an put in the hole of the trans paint it white and measure 2 in and mark it thats full mark

German engineering is great
    I own a 2003 Jetta And it is the Best, no problems just changed the water pump and timing belt 102000.
    Transmission shifts good i rebuilt the valve body all new electronics at 100000 Fluid still clean.

BulletProof Transmissions
  • I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8t with 5speed tip-tronic automatic transmission that does the exact same thing! And I'm on my second transmission and it's doing the exact same thing again! NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER BUY A VW/AUDI/PORSCHE with an automatic. This is my second Jetta and my other one had a slipping transmission too!
  • I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8t with 5speed tip-tronic automatic transmission that does the exact same thing! And I'm on my second transmission and it's doing the exact same thing again! NEVER AGAIN WILL I EVER BUY A VW/AUDI/PORSCHE with an automatic. This is my second Jetta and my other one had a slipping transmission too!
  • Yes , those transmissions are well know to give a lot trouble.

The way I use to correct them is by installing a shift kit from , " Trans go " along with a wiring harness from " Rostra presicion controls , Inc " P/n 75 446 from " Transtar " .
    The factory wiring harness is a very , very bad unit .
    The factory should be recalling those trannies .
    Why they do not do it ? . Because it will cost them a lot of money !.
  • SO i have a 99 jetta manual transmission 2.0 and onm my way home from the store i could not go into reverse . i got the car home fine 1st thou 5th worked fine the next morning on my way to work it would shift in to 1st but would not go so i tried 2nd and nothing it got 3rd ok then 4th but not 5th i popped the hood to find that shifter cable was broke at the transmissin so i took off the broken part put a bolt to hold it in place thought problem sloved nope still no 1st 2nd 5th or R anyone that got any ideas
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,081
    Replace the broken shift-cables and adjust the linkage.