Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Okay, My mother leases an 04 Jetta, and I just now found out that the car runs at about 3 RPM's when at 60mph. I noticed it when I rarely ride in her car. She was like " Ya, I thought it ran a little high, and has been doing this for quite a long time". I am like, I am sure it is supposed to be around 2k RPM's for 60mph, that is what my 06 Accord runs at. Now here is the catch, since my mother is pretty slow about saying anything about her car, she has about 50,000 miles on her lease, which is over, but her lease will be up this spring. So I am sure there is not chance it'll be covered at cost of VW. Even though this is not something because of wear and tear, since she said it has been going like this for a long time. Is this normal for the 04 jetta with a 4cyl, Manual? Let me know. I am not sure she will trade for a new one, she might keep this car, if it does need to be fixed, what do you think it is, and what it might cost?? She probably needed to speak up awhile back when it was under warranty... Oh well... Other than that, her car has been flawless.
  • this is only a wild guess based on my own experience, but it's probably the transmission, most likely the clutch. They'll say it's "wear and tear" and they won't cover it. It will cost about $1500. She should dump the car as soon as she can. I traded mine in at a year old and 24K miles. Good luck.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Aww, its sad, because that is my moms baby, we got that for her for mothers day and her anniversary. But, I think she is thinking of getting new car, thats the joy of leasing.
    I'll miss my leased accord, but that is the fun part, you get a new car often. You know, you make memories your own car, you get attached, oh well.
  • pdm1pdm1 Posts: 1
    I had problem with radio not working and after pulling fuses,disconnecting battery,etc. got radio working but now car will not shift into high gear.Any suggestions please. this is a 2002 jetta 2.0 4speed auto transmission. thanks
  • I own an 03 Jetta Wagon, 4 cyl. I brought it in to the dealership twice before it's warranty was up for a hard kickdown between 2nd and 3rd gears. The first time the dealership said that they couldn't duplicate the problem. The second time, I specifically told them to examine the transmission. This time they said that the car was running to manufacturer's design. The car continued to have the problem. Then, one year later (after the warranty had expired), it kicked down hard into 3rd gear and died. I had to buy a new engine, because, as a result of the kickdown, a clip on the cam shaft broke and dropped all the pistons. I paid $6000 for a new engine, and within 2 weeks of getting my car back, it's done the same thing 4 times. I'm hesitant to bring it back to the dealership before I have more information. If anyone knows what I can do to either fix the car or get VW to take some ownership in this problem, I would LOVE to hear what you have to say.
  • I have a 2004 VW Jetta GLS 2.0L/5speed tranny. Just recently I started noticing a thumping noise coming from left front side of the car. Then I started to feel it underneath my gas pedal. The noise only present itself when I accelerate hard that's when the thumping begins. When I do let off the accelerator the noise stop. One person told me it's my wheel bearing and another said it's my clutch?

Thanks for any input you may have!
  • I have a 2002 vw jetta. I stopped at a stop sign and it wouldn't go. What do you think is the problem
  • I have a 2002 vw jetta. It's an automatic. I stop at the stop sign and it wouldn't go forward or backward. Any ideas?
  • diesel16diesel16 Posts: 2
    My '04 Jetta Wagon TDI, Auto (Tiptronic): No warning, at 60,186 miles (powertrain warranty to 60,000 mi.!!) on my way to the dealer for the 60,000 maintenance, hard, slamming upshifts 1-2, 3-4 and even harder downshifts from 3-2, 2-1, often needing to let off the accelerator to bring delayed upshift. This reminded me of the old days when the clutches would go in a GM automatic. This condition stayed consistent, cold or operating temp., and dealer did witness it. This brought to mind that we can't check trans fluid, as there's no dipstick tube! After a day at the dealer, they stated it needs a new trans. I'm now waiting to hear back from VW as to whether they will fix it under warranty. Before this, I just told an associate the other day that, at just under 60,000 miles, the car's been trouble free (except for a bad steering rack at 40,000 mi) and the perfect "vehicle" to show diesel's passenger car merits!! I need to shut up. My wife told me that. Anyway, as I worry about the warranty, I just wanted to share this. I'm now arming myself with my maintenance / service records to show VW that I've done their recommended maintenance and recalls.
  • vwlovervwlover Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 Jetta. I purchased it brand new. I have had no problems with the car EXCEPT periodic "clunking" (for lack of a better term) from 1st-2nd. It has gotten worse over the four years and now does it when its cold or warm and not only from 1-2, but 2-3. It has been to the dealer multiple times & each time they say they can't duplicate the problem and send me on my way. My warranty is out in 2000 miles. Does anyone have a suggesion of what I action I can take?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I'm sure you probably know that you have a 5 year 60,000 power train warranty, but I mention it just in case you are only referring to the full 4 yr 50K mi warranty running out.

You could have them ride with you, hope you are lucky enough to have the problem occur and point out what you are talking about when it happens. Also make sure that you have documentation from the dealer indicating what has happened, so if it finally gets worse you can try to make a case that the problem was there before warranty ran out.

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, but if you are really worried about a possible expensive transmission repair you could look into the cost of one just for the power train.
  • vwlovervwlover Posts: 2
    I have tried having them ride with me, but to no avail. I have kept a journal of it happening & have all of the receipts from the trips to the dealer.

I guess I do not have full understanding of the warranty. My car has 48000 miles. Do I actually have coverage for the transmission under 5yr/60,000? I mentioned my concern about the warranty to the dealer and he told me 4yr/50K.

Does anyone else have this problem with 04 Jettas?

Thanks!
  • diesel16diesel16 Posts: 2
    vwlover, to answer your question about warranty: VW is partially covering my transmission replacement under the 5yr/60000 mi powertrain warranty (I was at 60,186, so they're giving me a hard time -- that's another story. According to them, warranty would have fully covered replacement before 60000 mi. I've heard from others they are difficult with warranty claims (you saw my post, #92, here?). I've talked to other owners who repeatedly went back to dealer till they witnessed the problem and finally got warranty to cover repair. Hope this helps.
  • I was driving my 94 automatic 2.0 jetta and it just goes into neutral when im going 35 then ten miles after that my gears on my dash all lit up everyone p r d 1 2 3 so I park the car so i thought I put my stick into park and turned the car off when i put my key in my dash lit up in drive then all of them again I try to start the car and nothing happens please tell me something to do!!
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    first lets get your vehicle scanned by a competent garage. volkswagon has some problems with thier MLPS (manual lever position sensor) on the 096-01M transaxles if you can get me some codes to work with i may be able to help you
  • louisseelouissee Posts: 2
    I have the exact same issue--thumping sound, especially when turning left. Car is going to be checked out thoroughly next week so hope it won't be a costly fix.

2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T
    60,500 miles :(
  • louisseelouissee Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced electrical issues such as the A/C and power steering quitting at the exact same time, in addition to no acceleration? Sometimes, the car shuts off shortly after starting or the car shudders quite a bit and then is jumpy on acceleration. This car is putting me in the poorhouse! :mad:

2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T
    60,450 mi
  • i been reading about these mesages about the transmissions cuz i have a 2002 1.8t jetta and it did the same thing. It would only act up when the engine was cold and after driving it for a bit it will shift normally. Whats up with that yo. And the probleme kept getting worse so i had to rebuild the darn thing and it costed 3000 dollars ugh and the dealer wanted to charge more than double that. Idk but im thinking if everyone has the same problem then is it us, because i know we love hearing that turbo or is it just that VW made ONE bad part
  • 07jettagal07jettagal Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 jetta that has an unusual vibration in the gear shifter only in 4th gear. It's not an engine lug vibration, it's actually only at higher RPM's (right before you shift to 5th). The shifter vibrates terribly and makes a noise - if you hold onto the shifter, it's not as bad. The vibration only starts after I've put about 20 miles on (35 miles to work each way). I brought it to my dealer and they basically brushed me off - they actually said "maybe you're not putting it all the way in 4th gear." Any ideas?