Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Your warranty up at 36k?
  • annecohenannecohen Posts: 2
    Probably. I would have to check the paperwork, but I imagine I had nothing more than the standard warranty.

What I find really ODD is that the dealer claims I hit something and the transmission guy at the tranny shop says I probably did NOT hit anything. He said yesterday on a second call that he thinks the computer software in the car held the clutch down until it burned up all the transmission fluid because it was all burnt up in there, ie, no fluid and it was all ashy and burned.

I figure EITHER VW owes me or I will have to report it as an accident and have insurance pay for it. I don't know what else to do cause I sure do not want to part with $2400 to $4000 for a new transmission.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    VW's power train warranty is 5 years/50 K mi
  • I have a 98 Jetta Wolfsberg Edition with just under 100,00 miles that I have owned for a year and a half.
    I just had the clutch replaced a week ago-today while I was driving I attemped to shift gears I think I went from 3rd to 2nd and the trans went out on me. Completely undrivable now!
    Does any one know if this could be caused by the clutch being installed incorrectly?
    The mechanic says the trans has to be "rebuilt"
    I don't want to put any more money into it and am wondering if I'm being ripped off
    Please help!
  • I have a 2004 Jetta TDI with 5 speed Automatic.
    My transmission will not shift out of first gear until it reaches about 150 degrees temperture. The dealer states its something internal and wants me to replace it for 4400.00 for a new transmission. They can't explain why it operaters without a hitch when it reach operating temp. Anyone had this problem? Should I put in a new one and be done with the problem?Can anyone shed some light on this problem?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,883
    well presuming the dealer has done a complete diagnostic and can find no external or electrical reason for the shift delay, I would speculate that some seal is too hard and needs to soften under high temperature, or some valve is sticking until warmed up----so you have a hydraulic blockage (in the case of the valve) or hydraulic bleeding (in the case of the seal). Just a WAG here.

• Yes they did all there checks and came to that conclusion.. Is there any way to change the fluid as this transmission has 225K. Just hate to chage it if it runs perfect when warm.
    Sure you could try a transmission fluid and filter change

• The dealer states it is a sealed unit and neither can be changed. Is that fiction?
    It can be replaced but you need to know the right procedure and have the correct tools to supervise the re-filling. The fluid is "lifetime" but that doesn't mean you can't do it. How would they ever fill a rebuilt transmission in that case or add fluid after a cooler line leak? As I remember, the fluid is quite expensive and it takes about an hour labor to do it, so you might be in the hole couple hundred bucks.

• Thanks for that. 200.00 is better than over 4K. It might not work but it worth a try.
  • I know whatthe problem is. Maybe you waited too long to change the fluid.

No fluid is lifetime. No matter who tells you it is cuz it aint. do you change the oil regularly? well why wouldnt you change anything else in the car.
  • I think u are right on. The problem lies with the dealer. Every time I
    brought it in for oil changeor service they told me it was not necessary
    to change it. I am going to do a change and hope it does the trick.
  • 01tdi01tdi Posts: 16
    I would have the Valve body in the transmission looked at. It works about half the time and does not work about half the time and it is an expensive part. However sometimes it runs rough and makes the car shift funny, especially in older cars. When the fluid warms up it makes everything operate smoothly. Just something you can look into.

It is tough to find a decent VW mechanic, I hear horror stories about the dealerships all the time. When I live no one will even touch a VW. I know it costs about 300 bucks to get a filter and transmission fluid changed for my 01 Jetta. Good luck
  • drckoldrckol Posts: 1
    Many 09 Jettas with auto trans. are being recalled due to a temp. sensor problem. It causes the car to go into neutral at speed. This happened to me when I had 11,000 on the new car, endangering my wife and young kids. The car was towed to the dealer who said that they were not authorized to go into trans. because VW of N. America did not authorize it. The car was only broken for 70 min. and when the tow truck got car to dealer it was working. Now there is a recall for this specific reason and they will not look at mine because my VIN is not in the "AFFECTED" group. I am mad as hell. It happened to me but VW will do NOTHING! Other people have this problem too. They only will service cars with certain VIN nos. VW is despicable in this case. Read more. Dr. C. Kolodny
  • Well changed the transmission fluid. Now no warm up needed. Shifts like new. I trusted that dealer to do right by me. Did all the service work there for five years. VW is going to get a letter from me. Won't do any good but make me feel alot better. Three hundred to do a flush and change. Better than 4400.
  • Got my 2009 Jetta SE with 2.5 and Tiptronic trans a couple of weeks ago and realize I made a very good purchase decision. Quality build and lots of value for the buck.

Gave my daughter my 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg (I'm original owner) w/std trans with 189,000 miles and it looks great and runs great!

Here is my question for those of you that know your tiptronic trans:

When I preparing to stop lately, I move into tiptronic from drive while moving, and downshift to use the engine to decelerate vs.immediately applying brake pedal pressure to extend the brake pad life particularly since this is an "automatic" trans. Is this a sensible thought? It seems to be, as a primarily std trans driver (downshifting) I tend to drive my VW's for the long hall and want to this one to run for the long haul as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback to those of you that have experience with this transmission.

Tom
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I'd rather wear out my brake pads than the transmission, so I'd not downshift.
    My rule is "don't select a gear unless you need it to do something important".

So braking on the way to a stop light doesn't quality, whereas braking to hold the car back on a very steep decline might be important, or heel and toe-ing on a race track might be important.

• My 1999 Jetta with automatic transmission shifts well in lower gears but doesn't go from 3. gear to 4.gear with the consequence that I run higher RPM's and higher fuel consumtion. Any idea is appreciated
    You should have a diagnostic check done to see what's up here. Your transmission is hydraulically shifted, not electronic, so you may need first a diagnostic reading, and then perhaps a pressure-test. Of course, check the fluid levels before you do anything. You might need a transmission shop or VW shop to check this for you before you get into anything else. Any sign of leakage would be a tip off that you may need fluid.

If the fluid's good and the transmission tests as defective, that's a tough call for you, as the cost of repair may or may not be justified vis a vis the value/condition of the car.

• My 1999 Jetta with automatic transmission shifts well in lower gears but doesn't go from 3. gear to 4.gear with the consequence that I run higher RPM's and higher fuel consumtion. Any idea is appreciated
    See # 205 above

• jaebjaeb Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 turbo Jetta with tiptronic. My transmission was replaced with 45,000 miles it ran great for a while then I started experiencing starting problems after 3 years 5 dealers across country and lots of money it was the alternator, it took so long to determine the problem because it kept reading false positive on the diagnostics. Then the motor mount broke it was replaced and the car won't run/move until it is fully warmed up, this usually takes about 45 mins of idle running. Then once it runs at times it will stall or the auto trans won't get into gear. The car stalls. When I turn corners, the car stalls. The VW dealer said they couldn't do anything, because they can't say why it is behaving this way. They told me to go to AAMCO, I went, they told me the transmission isn't reading faulty and it might be something wrong with the tiptronic, they said they couldn't say for sure it would fix the problem but if it doesn't the money I paid would be credited towards them rebuilding the transmission and that I should take out their credit account to make sure that all the bills can be paid.

I drove it on the highway and it was as it once was a perfect ride, but once I went back onto the street and turned the corner the car stalled. I would like to know what and where I can go to get this repaired. I would like to sell it but who will buy it. Once they test drive it they will see how bad it is.
  • Hey Guys and Gals.
    My stepson just purchased a 1998 VW Jetta w/auto trans. It has shifting problems
    often called "hiccuping". Has anyone had this problem?? Is there anything he can do.?
    It only has 85,000 miles on it. The mechanic where he bought it is pulling his hair out. The check engine light comes on but he can't find the code, that is listed. Need some help here. Thank you.
    Stepdude
  • julietjjulietj Posts: 15
    Question regarding a 2002 Jetta TDI - goes into gear, but makes a loud grinding, clicking that sounds horrible -- and of course, it can't be driven. Is it possible that the transmission is shot, or hopefully something not as expensive?
  • Hi! I bought a 1994- 2.0 engine, 5 speed (generation 3) a year ago. In Jan of this year, I slid on some ice and hit a VERY small tree and lost my reverse. Then in March, the whole tranny fell out of the housing, all over the road. Today, I bought a 1985- 1.8 engine, 5 speed (gen.2). My question is, would the tranny from the gen2 bolt onto the gen 3? Thanks :) rachie
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    My wife has an '08 Wolfsburg and I have an '09 TDI. Just wondering if ALL the recall notices have been mailed out. We haven't seen one so I'm hoping we both dodged a bullet.
  • I have a '06 Jetta TDI 5 spd manual. Can anyone tell me the capacity & correct specs (weight) of the fluid necessary to change the trans gear lube? Cannot get info without going to VW dealer (which I would rather not do).
  • i would rather spend some well spend money on getting the liquids changed in the transmission done professionally because V W tends to have delicate transmissions especial auto .. it could but if not check the manual.