Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jetta Transmission Problems and Questions

Comments

• Very recently my transmission has had problems shifting into 1st gear. It will rev really high and then shift with a huge jerk & noise. If I hold in the brake while also pushing the gas the car will shift much easier. I took it to a shop today that was going to flush and fill, only to be told that car was not able to be flushed and I had to replace the entire transmission. Does this sound right?
  • I am having the same problem with my 2002 Jetta (v6 automatic), it will not shift out of 1st until it is warmed up to 190 degrees. VW will not touch their own tranies and told me the same thing, remove & replace only, but they are not sure if that would fix the problem. How could the transmission only be bad when it's cold? They also told me it may be a faulty valve...but again they are just guessing as I am getting no fault codes. I have it at Aamco right now and they are telling me it’s not the transmission at all. They believe it’s the break light switch (which I just had replaced in Aug 08 when the transmission was slipping out of 3rd into neutral). The transmissions are reparable you just have to find someone who will do it...not VW.
  • My husband bought me a 02 VW jetta in 2006 :) , never had any issues until we had a recall postcard in summer 2008. Took it in for recall on break lights :confuse: . No problem there, but after leaving the automotive shop it started shifting gears with a really hard jerk when you accelerate and when you are going into breaking it shifts gear really hard as well :sick: . I finally was scared of driving the car and took it into the Neillo VW dealer for a oil change, vehicle visual inspection, and an engine light check for diagnostics. After waiting two hours, the service associate comes to tell me what is wrong with the car with a bunch of vocabulary I didn't know and verbage on my vehicle stating bottom tubo tub installed wrong, not stock type turbo tube. Also, to replace ecm software??? and tcm codes on engine torque for solenoid #5. Dealer don't know if engine problem or transmission problem, charge me for this lost $1068.00 :cry: . I told the service associate I wanted to speak with a vehicle technician not a service associate. They explained only they do the talking. The service associate tells me to not drive the car, needs a trans diagnostic and recheck codes on trans, maybe code #10 solenoid and a 1598 pinout also: will cost another $2500.00. So I told them, just because I am a woman I don't know anything about cars...You just want money, I am not stupid..paid them..drove off...Driving out of the dealership was even worse. The shifts are more stronger and intense. What should I do before going back? Are they right? Or should I just buy a new transmission and install it myself???
  • hanskahanska Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Jetta and mine does that too, when i first got it about 2 years ago it didnt but after about 10-12 months the speedo started jumping around at 60 mph cruise control stopped working and my rpm's jumped up to 3000 at 60-65. I was told it had to do with a gear inside the transmittion, and it would cost about 1500 to fix at the cheapest.. i would love to know how to get it fixed or if that is normal...
  • hanskahanska Posts: 2
    Last night i locked the door on my 2003 jetta and proceeded up my drive way when the alarm went off. I went back unlocked and relocked the doors, everything seemed to be fine when at 2 am this morning my alarm went off again. When i started down the driveway it shut off. and didnt start again. Today when i got in the car to go to the store my open door light began to ficker like a door was not shut all the way. so i checked all the doors and they were closed. I have no clue if one is related to the other but if anyone has any ideas im sure it would make my neighbors happy in the middle of the night.
  • rap6rap6 Posts: 1
    I have a vw 2003 VR6 triton auto transmission. I had problems with it shifting heard in first and second gear. I took to a shop, they said i needed to place a seinord. The shop didn't find any metal in the pan and the oil was clean that came out.
    Is this serious? will I have transmission problems later with the car. I currently have 84,000 miles on the car.
  • smf1036smf1036 Posts: 2
    My son's 2001 Jetta with 145k miles on it, has trouble shifting when going from high cruise speed to low. Normal speeds and shifting are fine. Dealer tells us most likely low on trans fluid ($400). I am sure they will just happen to find metal shavings in the pan when they remove. They say they have to keep the car overnight to check when the fluid is coolest.

any of this make sense?

Thanks.
  • smf1036smf1036 Posts: 2
    Has anyone had to replace their timing belt (chain, i'm not sure) on a 2001 Jetta? What was the cost, and is it necessary if there are no apparent problems?

Thanks.
  • jeftajefta Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jetta GLS, 2.0L, auto transmission with issues which seem very similar. When I first began having concerns, I would get what I thought were hard shifts from 1 to 2 to 3. The problem was intermittent however so I was unable to pinpoint it. Then, after a relatively long trip, after coming off the highway speed of 120 km/hr, I was unable to get it to shift into 4th gear. I stopped at a friend's house where the car sat for an hour. When I began driving again, the issue had gone. I just completed another long trip and the same issue is present. When it first occured, I pulled over, turned off the ignition and then restarted. For a short period, the problem went away. From what I have read, I believe the transmission is likely going into safe mode thereby disabling 4th. Now, I can't get it to go into 4th at all. I am interested in the specifics of the cable that was replaced from the transmission to the computer. Do you have a part number I can reference? I think this could be the problem as the situation is similar.
  • mrks307mrks307 Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift crazy) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILEAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in waranty related repairs. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles. I'm screwed. Stay away from VW's!
    I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift crazy) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in waranty related repairs. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles. I'm screwed. Stay away from VW's!
    Tranny is a sealed unit. No dipstick. I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift crazy) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in waranty related repairs. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles. I'm screwed. Stay away from VW's!
    Forget about the cable, you've got bigger problems. Your computer is bad and you have burned your tranny fluid probably taking the clutches with it. Tranny is a sealed unit. No dipstick. I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift crazy) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in waranty related repairs. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles. I'm screwed. Stay away from VW's!
    VW was supposed to increase the cat converter warrenty from 80,000 to 120,000 miles on the 2001's. Hope that helps.
    Tranny is a sealed unit. No dipstick. I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift problems again) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILEAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in warranty related repairs. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles. Downshift I'm screwed. Stay away from VW's!
    Tranny is a sealed unit. No dipstick. I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift problems again) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in waranty related repairs. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles.Downshift I'm screwed. Stay away from VW's!
    Yes it does.Tranny is a sealed unit. No dipstick. I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty paying. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift problems again) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILEAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer's lot. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in waranty related repairs in the last 2 years. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles. I'm screwed. Stay away from VW's!
    Tranny is a sealed unit. No dipstick. I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty paying. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift problems again) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILEAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer's lot. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in waranty related repairs in the last 2 years. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles. I'm screwed. Stay away from VW's!
    No! Tranny is a sealed unit. No dipstick. I have a 2002 Jetta automatic. At 77,000 miles the tranny went. Replaced with extended warranty paying. At 97,500 miles tranny went again (downshift problems again) replaced with extended warranty. At 97,510 miles tranny went again (same problem) YES THE MILEAGE IS CORRECT! I made it 10 miles out of the dealer's lot. I think the torque converter went too this time. Loud crunch from tranny. I bought this car 3 years ago with 33,000 miles on it for $9,900. It has had $23,000 in waranty related repairs in the last 2 years. It will be out of warranty in 2,500 miles. I'm screwed. Sounds like your Torque Converter is bad or your tranny computer.See if the fluid is burned. If it is put some tranny restore stuff in it and sell it. Don't let the buyer know wher you live. Stay away from VW's!
    Change belt between 60-75K miles. be smart change water pump at the same time. Should run between 250-450 dollars for both.