Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant exterior issues

2»

Comments

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    I believe Galants are made in Illinois so they're pretty much just as American as anything else (my qualification for American-made is manufactured in the US. Brand matters not; what matters to me is which workers get paid).

You should repeat your mall experience with a camera in hand. Park your car next to theirs & take a picture. Send it in a written letter to Mitsu customer service citing your case number and tell them that since you can find a car with similar issues in just 3 minutes, they're the crazy ones.

Anyway, I'm sorry you've got the paint problem. My '99 "Barcelona Red", i.e. burgundy, Galant has a number of paint chips i the hood from rocks etc. and the requisite door dings but the finish is otherwise undamaged. 10 years and 150K miles (any day now). I'm considering an Outlander to replace it but am finding it (and every other vehicle I've looked at) a bit of sticker shock as I haven't had a car payment since 2001.
  • kotucekotuce Posts: 6
    It is a shame that everyone with a Galant manufactured during that 3-year period has that problem, but they do. I contacted my local Mitsubishi dealer as well as Mitsubishi Corp. and they didn't do anything. I have posted links to the Better Business Bureau as well as the link to the site where you submit auto defects for recall, but if enough people don't do it....Mitsubishi won't do anything because they won't have to. If you haven't done so already, I would urge you to file a complaint with the BBB and also file a complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. If enough people file with them Mitsubishi will have no choice but to recall the vehicles and fix the defect, which is obviously is! Pass this information on if you contribute to other blogs which refer to this problem. I ran into a guy the other day at a gas station that asked me if he could take a look at my paint. He said that the clear coat was actually 'chalking' and that it may possibly be able to be buffed out. I have contacted a local auto detail shop and they are going to take a look at my vehicle today after work. If they ARE to buff these spots out (of course as a temporary fix), I will make sure I update this blog so everyone else that has this problem can be made aware! It's going to probably cost me around $200 to get it done, but that's a lot cheaper than $1000 to get it repainted (that's the estimate the dealer gave me) It really stinks that we all have these vehicles that we have taken care of that look like this and they are not even that old! My vehicle is in great condition, but the exterior looks like garbage because of these 'blemishes'!

I was going to hold on to my vehicle for a little while to see if enough people submit complaints and Mitsubishi recalls this defect, but I am in desperate need of a 4-wheel drive vehicle, so I may sell my vehicle sooner than later.

If anyone hears of a way this defect can be fixed, please let me know!
  • chuckdeechuckdee Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Gallant ES. The paint job is absolutely awful. I’m am noticing dis coloration in the paint. Rockville Mitsubishi dearlership :( in Maryland is the worse in getting help with the matter. I’m going to just bite the bullet and take it to an after market body shop and have the entire car repainted.
  • kotucekotuce Posts: 6
    Did you get an estimate on how much it's going to cost to repaint your car? Have you tried to see if the discoloration/blemishes can be buffed out? That's my first step....I'm going to do that before I even think of putting the money into the car to get it repainted! Have you tried to file a complaint with the BBB and the office of defects for a recall? Just like I previously posted, if enough people complain about this issues, Mitsubishi will have no choice but to fix the cars! Will all need to work together on this! We didn't pay all of this money for these cars just for them to look like garbage!
  • hakathyohakathyo Posts: 1
    My Black car has heavy oxidation on the roof, trunk and hood. The top coat is peeling and it's spreading quickly! I was also going to "bite the bullet" However, the estimates for repainting are absoultely ridiculous. Macco estimate was $1459.00 oh considering the $249.00 paint special which was BS. Earl Schieb(Comments, you get what you pay for) $849.00 TJ Auto in Arlington, VA quote was $1,500.00 (Great reviews) www.yelp.com

Go figure, this was a manufacturing error Mitsubishi should flip the bill. How long will I have to wait for them to decide it's their fault? Who knows, but I'm caught between getting my debt paid off and not wanting a car note right now, mechancially everything else is in good shape.
  • I am having the same paint problem on my 2004 Galant and I contacted the corp office who told me to take it by a dealership for them to take pics and send to them. I have done that and now I have to take it back to the dealership this coming Friday for the insurance company to review my car along with others that have been brought in to make a decision.
  • Mitsubishi's corporate office had me do the same thing, then they had me provide them with all of my maintenance records since I owned the car, which I did. I also provided them with 1000's of blog and articles involving this issue and it did not help a bit. They assigned my case to someone a Mitsubishi Corporate and two weeks later I got a call and they told me that my car was out of warranty and they were covering nothing!

What insurance company is reviewing your car? I originally contacted my auto insurance company because I thought that 'oxidation' was due to the parking garage that I used to work in, but the claims adjuster told me 10's of 1000's of people with Mitsubishi's manufactured in the same time frame had the same problem. He is the one that instructed me to go to the dealer. You are the second person that posted to this blog that things are looking good for! Where are you located in the U.S. and who did you contact at Mitsubishi Corporate? If they are correcting damages to other owners with the same problem as I have and denied me, I am going to seek legal action. This is B.S.

Any information you can give me would greatly be appreciated! I have gotten nowhere with Mitsubishi and if anyone can help me, please do! The problem on my Galant is spreading like cancer! Something needs to be done soon or my entire (black) car is going to end up white!
  • OMG..I was so glad to hear that mine is not the only one doing this...I have a 2004 Galant Blk(actually the exact color from my purchase invoice is KALAPANA BLK) it started doing this about 8 mons. ago..started on the trunk...paint is now almost faded to white on the roof, hood and on the side panels...I'm am sick about this...its almost paid off and was going to trade it soon...won't be getting much with it this way.... I also purchased mine brand new and it has been garage kept for most of the time....I will contant the BBB and the other site that is mentioned also..hopefully more and more people will do the same.... so...Mitsibishi can fix THEIR problem....I am taking pictures also...wish I would have done this in the beginning..mine has progressed very rapidly!!!! Please let me know of any updates and I will do the same!!!!
  • I think its time to contact an attorney and let them on to this issue...I would like to think with pictures from so many of our cars that are doing this... that Mitsibishi would have to take some responsibility!!!! Maybe not...but I do have a few attorney friends that I'm going to share this site with and see what they have to say...worth a shot??????
  • I just talked with my dealership that i purchased my 2004 Galant with and they are having me bring my car into them to take pis...they have also had others...that they have submitted pics to...to corporate and a few have gotten new paint jobs on them...Will post an update as soon as I can to let you know what happens!!!!
  • Yeah, We Need To Talk To Someone on Channel 10 about this issue. They Need to come out and look at our cars . I Have A 2006 Gallant and it looks outrageous !! I Went to four places and the lowest was $1300 and they highest was $3500 , Mitsubishi only want to give you $300 to $500 . We need to take them to court .
  • Mitsubishi Needs to go to court ! We all Driving around with cars looking like garbage and they laughing in our faces giving us only $300 .
  • sugar81sugar81 Posts: 1

I have a silver 2003 Galant, that I bought new and have very low miles on it (under 60k) the car runs great, the maintenance is next to nothing. The problem is the PAINT IS HORRIBLE! Peeling, white, oxidation-YUCK!

I called for a paint estimate, they range from $2500 to $7000, the car isn't worth that much. The other issue is no one wants to touch a car older than 10, it appears that parts break and they are not easily replaced. I had planned to have this car for 20 years, now I'm not so sure.

Any home remedies anyone can share. I hate to give up on this car.; Thanks

2»