Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Tires & Wheels

Comments

• I might have been one of the first to post about this. The only place I ever saw it mentioned was in the brochure and on a sticker stuck to the side of a Touring model on the showroom floor. Navigation package includes GPS Navigation system and TPMS.
  • hifivehifive Posts: 72
    No, it can't get up an icy driveway, LOL. I was parked on my driveway for a minute last night while my husband moved some stuff from the garage. We had a heavy snowfall, and the driveway had been cleared except for a very fine layer of new snow. I had ZERO traction. Lately I roll slowly into the driveway. I must say as much as I love the Five I am looking forward to Spring, it is not great for winter driving. I feel like I should put chains on.

HiFive in Minnesota :shades:
  • I read several of the posts that said that the 5 isn't exactly the greatest in the snow. A few of them suggested swapping in snow tires as a solution, but wondered the impact changing the rims would have on the tire pressure monitoring system on the Touring Edition. I live in CT and have targetted the 5 as the car I'll be buying in the spring. I'm just wondering if anyone has put snow tires on their 5 yet, if it made for more secure snow/ice handling (we have a sloped driveway, so I'll need to be able to exit my home), and if there is a solution to the TPMS issue (or does the light just stay on for the winter?).

Any experiences would be welcome.
  • nym5nym5 Posts: 20
    I can't speak to the TPMS as our 5 does not have it, but the addition of a set of snows made a world of difference in winter driving. We went with a 16" alloy set with Dunlop SP M3's from tire rack. They grip great, snow or ice, are quiet, and look good too. And of course the ride is bit cushier with the larger tire/smaller wheel set-up.
    I would imagine the TPMS could be temporarily disabled by the dealer as well.
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    The impact changing the rims will have on the TPMS system is that if you do not get a wheel that is compatible with the Mazda TPMS valve stems, then you will have the idiot light on all winter or until the bulb burns out. Perhaps there is a way to turn it off, but I doubt it.
    I live in CT too, (Hartford area), and just this evening also mounted Dunlop M3 snow tires on 16" wheels, (Kazera's), which arrived mounted (tire on wheel) and balanced, from the Tire Rack. Though I haven't had an opportunity to drive them in the snow, as all it did was pour rain here today melting the last of what we had, I did alot of research prior to buying and the Dunlop M3's got the best rating overall. But really, any winter snow tire would do better than the stock tires in snow and ice!
    Finally, there was a post a while back where someone was wondering if 15" wheels would fit on the 5. From what I can tell, the answer is a resounding no! With the 16" wheels, the wheel balancing weights clear the brake calipers by about a 1/2" at the most. Any smaller wheel and it wouldn't fit.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Posts: 569
    I had a question about winter tires and went back & looked at your earlier post which more or less answered my question (did you drop down a size....from 17" to 16" when choosing winter tires?) How do you like the Dunlops now that you've had them on for a bit? Do they grip well in the snow?(yes, a limited slip would be nice). We mounted Nokians on our 2003 Aerio (almost like a 2/3 or 3/4 Mazda5!) but stuck with the stock size of 195/55-15, as the Aerio already looks under-tired with the 15's. They are pretty good except in deep, slushy snow....may have to do more with the limited ground clearance, short wheelbase and fairly light weight of the car rather than the actual grip of the snows. I like the new Rav4 for the AWD and ground clearance plus gas mileage isn't too bad either, even with the V6....however, the only version with a 3rd row seat in Canada goes for about 36 grand....about 11-12 grand more than a loaded Mazda5. So, if they make a few changes like I suggested above and it performs ok in the snow with winter tires, I just may pocket a few bucks and go with the 5. One more question, edf4....did you stick with Mazda's size for the 16" winter tires (205/55-16) or go with a true minus-1 size of 195/60-16? Thanks in advance for you help and any other insights you could give me. (N.B. Although both versions of the Mazda5 come with 17" wheels & tires in the U.S., the base version in Canada comes with 205/55-16's while the up-level version gets the 205/50-17's)
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    In answer to your questions; yes, I did drop down a size from stock 17" to aftermarket 16" wheels for the winter tire set up, but stuck with the stock size of 205/55's, as that was what was recommended, though personally I would have preferred to go with a true minus-1 size of 195/60 as you mentioned. So far I haven't noticed a real difference in the ride quality with the snow tires vs. the stock tires, but then again, I didn't have the 5 for more than a month or two before switching over. But the Dunlop M3's are quite quiet on the highway for snow tires and overall, especially in snow and slush, they are a whole lot better than the stock tires; a hands down improvement! I got four and they perform as well as I would expect on essentially a single front wheel drive vehicle. Given their tread pattern, I would think they'll be excellent in the rain too. I also have pleasantly found that they have had little or no effect on my mpg. Before I got the Dunlops I swore by Nokians, but due to my inability to get the new RSI's when I wanted them, I have no regrets with the Dunlops, and got a good price on them from the tire rack at $109 a piece. Overall, I am now much more confident in the ability of the 5 with the M3's and believe it will do well in all but the most severe snowy conditions or steep hills, especially from a dead stop. If you will be encountering those rare conditions, it would be best to keep a set of tire chains in the trunk.
  • woddywoddy Posts: 12
    For tires I really like to order them via www.tirerack.com. You can have them sent directly to your shop to have them installed. That way you have more choices and aren't at the whim of local tire shops. Also, the deals are great. By the way, I too have a Pro5, which I love. I'm in the market for a second car, which is why I'm checking out the Mazda 5 board.

Vancouver, eh? I guess that makes you a Seahawks fan? I'm from Pittsburgh.
  • woddywoddy Posts: 12
    Oh, you know what else, the tire size you quoted IS odd. Did you get that from the owner's manual?

The "p195" is the width of the tire.

The "60" is the heighth of the tire as a percentage of the width. (40 being very low profile, 50 being lowish, 60 being pretty high)

The 16 is the circumference. I dunno what the "R" means!

The odd part about the measurements you quoted is the "60" That would be a relatively HIGH profile tire. That would look (and feel) kinda a little strange on a Pro 5. I would recommend a p195/50R16 (50 instead of 60). The rims don't care about that portion of the measurement.

Anyway, www.tirerack.com will point you to getting the right tire cheaply and easily.
  • Hi Woody

You have to be very careful when you compare tires.
    Every measurement is important.

P205/50R17: P: Tourism tires
    205: Tire width (in millimeters, divide by 25 for inch)
    50: % of the width applied to sidewall height
    R: Radial tires
    17: Size of wheel.

To find out a plus one or two or zero replacement, use that formula

(Width/25)*(sidewall/100)*2+(size of wheel) = height of tire.

Ex: Plus 1 for Mazda5 GT, Touring, Sport.
    P205/50R17 = (205/25)*(50/100)*2+17 = 25.2 Inches
    P225/40R18 = (225/25)*(40/100)*2+18 = 25.2 Inches
    (Almost perfect match, see note (1)).

Plus 0
    P205/50R17 = 25.2 Inches
    P225/45R17 = 25.1 Inches, acceptable. (1)

Rule of thumb, ± .5 inches difference from original size is acceptable, more than that will affect the odometer reading.

So, for a down sizing for winter tire:
    P205/50R17 = 25.2
    P205/55R16 = 25.02 (acceptable)
    P195/60R16 = 25.36 (higher, but still acceptable)
    P195/50R16 = 23.8 (Too low, affect speedometer, tire do more turns)

(1) For those of you with more knowledge of tires, Don't forget about the compressability of the sidewall ratio.
    Ex: 50 sidewall ratio tire vs a 45, IE a slightly lower 45 won't compress as much as a higher 50, thus making them almost same height...

Don't forget, when doing Plus Size, that you will test before.
    Tire must clear fenders, steering and suspension when riding, turning, and going over obstacle (bumps).
  • wusterwuster Posts: 153
    Good info!

Do you know if a 215 or 225/50R17 will fit the stock Mazda5 wheels?
  • Hi wuster

From what i've heard, the stock wheels are 7" wide, so a 225 should fit.
    Even then, it would probably protect the wheel lip, since it protrude so much from the tire.
    I intend of putting a set of 225/45 this spring, like the ones on the Audi A3, to replace the Yoko.
    It will hurt MPG and maybe acceleration a little, but better looking and handling than the stock.
    Anyone interested for 4 brand new tires (got the car at 16 Km, removed the tires for winter ones at 80Km, so basically the tires have 45 miles)! I'll probably trade them for wider ones at the shop.
    Cool.

The 205/50R17 seems to be an odd size. There aren't too many replacment tires for it.

Thanks for the info!
  • I was washing my Mazda5 today and I noticed that the (Michelin)tires are 215/50/17 with a load rating of 93. However, the door jamb sticker; owners' manual and window sticker all list the tires as being 205/50/17 with a load rating of 89. They don't rub against anything - they just appear to be a tad bigger than documented.

Anybody else notice this?
  • that's interesting.

Our MPV had a recall in 2003 because of a door jamb sticker. I wonder if this will be similar or is of no consequence.

John
    Hummm...

The US Mazda5 models should have come with Toyo tires in the 205/50R17.
  • wa98stratwa98strat Posts: 66
    You'll only have 205/50r17's if you buy the touring model. Purchase the GS (sport) and you get much easier to find 205/55R16's. Just had a look on Tirerack.com and a search for those comes up with 165 different choices!
  • That may be true in Canada. In the USA you get 17" on both the Touring and Sport Model.
    Discount Tire list 6 different tires that will fit, ranging from Kumho Ecsta ASX at $115 each to Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S at $195 each.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    has anyone looked at having there tires changed over to Nitrogen? From my understanding the pressure in the tire does not change the way air tires do, and the tires have a longer life. Just checking.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • Hi All,

I am considering buying a Canadian M5 GT, which comes with 17" wheels. Given my desire for comfort over maximum handling, I would actually prefer to have the 16" wheels that come with the GS. Is there anyone in the Toronto/Thornhill area that has recently purchased a GS but would like to swap wheels with a GT?
  • Have been debating whether to stick it out this winter with the stock Toyo Proxes A18 all seasons (mine still have alot of meat on them) or to invest in snow tires.
    After giving it some thought I've decided not to chance it and will be looking for 4 snow tires.
    I've decided to go down a size to 205 55 16 rather then stock 205 50 17 to save some money but also more tire choices at that size. I've decided to mount the tires on steel rims. I called around for rim prices and surprisingly got the best quote at one of the local Mazda dealerships. Of the 4 local dealerships I called 2 were stocking rims for winter. They will have it in stock in 2weeks and will call me once they arrive.
    I've decided to go with the Kumho KW17 primarily because it has good all around performance and bang for the buck. I would call my winters here a mild mix of everything from snow to sleet to slush. Also condsidered the Hankook W300 Ice Bear, both are H rated tires.
    The only question I had was with the lug nuts. Some installers have said I can use the same ones I got on. While others have said that what I've got on is fitted for the stock alloys and I would need ones that would be better fitted for the steel rims???
    I was also wondering what snow tires other Mazda 5 owners are using and how their snow tires performed?
  • riproyriproy Posts: 57
    I also decided not to go with the stock tires for winter and have a similar concern about lug nuts and look forward to what others have to say.
    For winter tires I went with Federal Himilaya 205/55R16s on steel rims. Rims tires balancing with taxes was 900$CDN. I wonder whether i should have gone with Mazda's package at a local dealer - $1099 for X-Ice on steels rims, taxes included.
  • kev604kev604 Posts: 30
    Called a couple of Mazda dealers today both said I should be able to use the original lug nuts. I have lock nuts as well and one said I will be able to use the rims with lock nuts, the other said I wouldn't be able to?

I'm in Vancouver so I won't actually mount the snow tires till end of November. But once the rims come in from Mazda I'll buy the tires then mount them myself when the time comes. I don't want to wait too late and not get the tires I want. I don't want to mount them too early and have unnecessary wear on them. The more miles I put on the stock no season Toyo's the better, once their done I'll get some real rubber to zoom-zoom.

I don't know anything about those Federal Himalayan tires. My first choice was the Michelin X-Ice but passed on them because they were pricey, also the Michelin seemed to be designed for more extreme conditions then I would see in Vancouver. Wanted a tire that had a high level of performance in regular driving conditions as well as winter conditions, and at a reasonable price. Decided on the Kumho KW17, OTD CDN$865 includes steel rims from Mazda, balancing and taxes.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,909
    It's Tuesday, time for our weekly Mazda Club Chat. All the Mazda news, and anything else automotive is fair game. Stop in to meet and greet your fellow forums enthusiasts!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• It's not a problem. The Mazda 5 doesn't have a TPMS system. There are no sensors or warning lights to worry about.
  • OK, so I noticed that my driver side, rear tire has a bump/bubble on it on the sidewall. I take it in for servicing, and according to the statement they did a Mazda Full Circle inspection on it, which includes inspection of the tires. The tire still had the bump on it.

Today, I took it in to get the right side, rear shock replaced since they said it was faulty. I told them about the bump/bubble in my tire and he said that it is dangerous to have that and that I should get the tire replaced.

I'm wondering why they didn't say or notice this before when I got it serviced. And I am also wondering if it really is all that dangerous to have a bubble on the tire. I mean, it's been there for a while and nothing's happened. I also asked the technician if it was possible to get it replaced from the manufacturer since it could have been a defective tire since I haven't hit a curb or done anything out of the ordinary to cause a bubble. He said it was extremely difficult for a tire manufacturer to admit it was defective and to give a new tire and that he has never seen it happen. So, I am wondering if that is true as well.

I have an 06 Carbon Mica Gray, Mazda 5 Touring with the 17 inchers - I believe they are Toyo tires? Any advice on all the above, please? Thanks!
  • OK, so I noticed that my driver side, rear tire has a bump/bubble on it on the sidewall. I take it in for servicing, and according to the statement they did a Mazda Full Circle inspection on it, which includes inspection of the tires. The tire still had the bump on it.

Today, I took it in to get the right side, rear shock replaced since they said it was faulty. I told them about the bump/bubble in my tire and he said that it is dangerous to have that and that I should get the tire replaced.

I'm wondering why they didn't say or notice this before when I got it serviced. And I am also wondering if it really is all that dangerous to have a bubble on the tire. I mean, it's been there for a while and nothing's happened. I also asked the technician if it was possible to get it replaced from the manufacturer since it could have been a defective tire since I haven't hit a curb or done anything out of the ordinary to cause a bubble. He said it was extremely difficult for a tire manufacturer to admit it was defective and to give a new tire and that he has never seen it happen. So, I am wondering if that is true as well.

I have an 06 Carbon Mica Gray, Mazda 5 Touring with the 17 inchers - I believe they are Toyo tires? Any advice on all the above, please? Thanks!
  • kw_dakw_da Posts: 73
    Hi,

Google is your friend ;) - see michelin website. There are also other references to bubbles appearing without impacts - probably defects. It appears that the bubbles are dangerous and the tire should be replaced asap as it is a sign of the tread separating. In my opinion, the tire company should replace it, especially if your car is fairly new, and you didn't hit the tire (don't know how they can tell). Tell us how it turns out.

David
  • I feel like a bad owner, are the tires Michelin or are they Toyos on the US Mazda 5's?
  • kw_dakw_da Posts: 73
    Hi,

I believe the US tires are Toyo, just read it off your tire :) . It appears some people have Michelins (Canadian?).

From reading other information on the web, others have mentioned problems with Toyo's bubbling. It also appears that if you take the tire off, if there is damage on the inside - this shows that you must have hit something. I am definitely not a expert - may be someone else knows more.

It also appears that these 17" tire are expensive to replace. Hopefully, by the time it comes around for us to replace, they'll be cheaper.

David