Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Tires & Wheels

123457»

Comments

• brian196brian196 Posts: 2
    Can someone please let me know if cupping on the inside of my rear tires would be an Alignment issue or a Balancing issue?
    I had an alignment done on the car approx. 6mths ago and the tech said that the car was set to factory standards but when I got the car back I noticed when driving on a straight road the wheel was slightly off center. I took the car back to the dealer, they put the car on the rack and said that the alignment was dead on.
    Now 6 mths later I am noticing cupping on the inside of the rear tires and a slight vibration at approx. 80km/hr and the vibration goes away as soon as I hit 100 km/hr.
    I now have 25,000 km on the car.
    Can someone tell me if this would be the dealers responsibility and what the best possibile repair would be?
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 793
    edited April 2012
    Both mis-alignment and im-balancing can lead to "cupping". The problem is that people use the word "cupping" rather indiscriminantly. Technically, cupping is ONLY the result of im-balance, and alignment causes diagonal wear (and what precedes it - heel and toe, feather edge, etc), but it is very difficult to tell the difference between the 2.

So you now have a vibration. Did you rotate tires? You are supposed to.

Plus, the alignment specs for a Mazda 5 include quite a bit of camber - and that tends to wear tires irregularly. What your alignment tech should do is take out as much camber as he can.
  • 412scott412scott Posts: 3
    OK - looking for a new set of all weather tires to put on my 2010 Mazda 5...consensus here from last summer is that it doesn't really matter too much since this car will wear out whatever...did the Kumho's last?
  • gnuguygnuguy Posts: 9
    They've lasted over 30k for me so far and now need replacement. Sorry I can't give a more exact number, but some tires previous to these lasted only 15k and just over 20k. I guess the years of 50k and 60k tires are done.

I need to talk to my mechanic again re tires. He had some tires I'm going to try when I replace the Kumho's. Consumer's Reports also had ratings on tires that are worthwhile.

One thing my mechanic mentioned is it's really important to rotate these low-profile tires every 3k to 4k miles. I can't say I've been that good about doing it.

If I remember, I'll follow up here with more info from those two sources.
  • I bought my car July 2010, the car had 36 miles on it. Replaced the tires after 23k miles which I understand is pretty much what everybody else is doing on here.

Went to tire dealer & put a 40k mileage set of tires on car June 2011. I've been rotating religiously, I go in June 2012 to have them rotated, I admit I am over the recommended mileage but hey I got it in there. The tire guy proceeds to tell me I need a new set exactly to the yr & onlu 23K miles on tires, ugh. He couldn't rotate said there was wear on the insides of the tires. :(

Am I to understand that I am going to have to replace my tires at a $585 cost (included the alignment) every year????!!?!?!?!?! This is ridiculous, is Mazda aware of this problem? Is there something wrong with my car? What can I do to get more mileage from my tires? (Newby here, haven't read all 19 pages of suggestions/complaints. This is insane!!!) I love my car & it's perfect for my family, but I have expenses & tires every yr isn't one of them!!!! :( :( :(
  • gnuguygnuguy Posts: 9
    @momsmazda5: Sounds like you might have some suspension issues. I suggest taking the time to read through all the messages here. There is some good info to be found. But I had the same experience with our 2006. The Mazda dealership acted like it was a big surprise. Then I found this forum.

It's discouraging since the vehicle is built pretty well. CU Reports gives the Mazda 5 high ratings.

Last tires on our 2006 were Kumho. I was replacing tires 2 at a time. I actually got close to 30k maybe 35k on the first pair, but one of the second pair developed a bulge on the sidewall so I had to replace all four. I put on Hankooks this time. I guess they're rated at 40k.

My mechanic told me the only way to deal with these low profile tires is to rotate them religiously. He recommended I rotate them every oil change. So that's what I'm going to try. Typically I change oil every 4k to 6k. I run synthetic so I stretch it a bit.
  • I've replaced tires twice since buying the car 2 years ago. I replaced a wheel last year because it was bent. Currently, there are 17" tires on the car and the tire shop I went to is saying I need to put 16" tires on it (but they don't know if they'll fit) and new wheels because I have 2 more bent wheels. I have a lot of shaking when going between 50 & 60 mph.

I know nothing about cars. I got talked into spending $1,000 on new tires last winter because the guy said they would last a long time. The nylon chord is actually coming out of one of the tires after 35, 000 miles. I am wondering if someone will tell me what to do here. Will 16" wheels and tires be the end of my woes? (The tire salesmen said they are more durable.) Or do I just put 17" on again - and pay more - again. Or do I get rid of this car? p.s. the gas mileage isn't anywhere near what the dealership said it was going to be.
  • nahag1nahag1 Posts: 10
    If you don't mind the change in the look of the car, then by all means, go with the 16", with a higher profile tire. The tires will still last between 30 and 40,000 miles, but at least it won't be as expensive to change either tire or wheels. Keep in mind that you will also need to transfer the air pressure sensors that are installed on the original wheels.
    Good luck
  • Low profile tires suck. Period. You pay as much or more than conventional tires and get half the wear (if you're lucky) and are more likely to suffer damage to the rim from pot holes, etc.

I looked into replacing my Mazda 5's tires right after I replaced my second set within 18k. That's how I became involved with this thread.

It seems to me someone in this thread did find a way to replace the low profile with standard tires by swapping out the 17in rims with 16in or 15in (can't remember for sure). This was posted a year or more ago.

I think there was discussion about getting the rims from another Mazda model. BUT there was a concern about handling once you put tires with higher side walls on.

Here's a comment I had made in an earlier message.

" Last tires on our 2006 were Kumho. I was replacing tires 2 at a time. I actually got close to 30k maybe 35k on the first pair, but one of the second pair developed a bulge on the sidewall so I had to replace all four. I put on Hankooks this time. I guess they're rated at 40k.

"My mechanic told me the only way to deal with these low profile tires is to rotate them religiously. He recommended I rotate them every oil change. So that's what I'm going to try. Typically I change oil every 4k to 6k. I run synthetic so I stretch it a bit"

All I can suggest is to look back through this thread.

Here are some messages I was involved with.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f3660/154!keywords=#MSG154

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f3660/168!keywords=#MSG168

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f3660/171!keywords=#MSG171

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f3660/187!keywords=#MSG187

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f3660/189!keywords=#MSG189
  • Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know if Mazda offered the option of 16" tires on the 2010 Mazda 5? I would hesitate to change the size if it wasn't offered as an option. The tire guy thought "it would work" but couldn't give me a definitive answser.
  • Again, my memory about this might not be accurate. When this was discussed re the 2006 model, no such option was available. That's why it was a such a frustration and one would have to resort to scavenging rims from another model.

I don't know about more current model years. I guess you'd have to contact the dealer or check out the after-market sources.
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    Look for a used set of 16" wheels from a 2012+ newer Mazda5 that come standard on the Sport models.

Wheel link
  • Update it is now Aug 2013 and I have put another set of tires on my car in October but in June exactly a year after I purchased my 2nd set of tires the car rotate guy said I needed another set and wouldn't rotate them. I put it off till October to buy another set put a Firestone 50k tire on it with a warranty, been rotating these so we shall see. I did however go in for a rotation and the guy said my fronts had more wear than the backs. I didn't need an alignment when I put them on originally but I could need one now. Will have that checked.
  • momsmazda5momsmazda5 Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    Can someone tell me the difference between my 2010 Mazda5 Sport and the 2013 Mazda5? I read that they redesigned the Mazda5 in 2012 but I would like to know what exactly was redesigned besides the body?

Did they change the suspension? Has the MPG improved? Did they change tire size? How about that weird noise I hear when backing up or that boing sound my car makes (seems to be of no surprise to the Dealership when I mention it) as I make sharp turns, note this is nothing new I have heard this sound since I bought the car new. Not always though. I just want to know is it worth purchasing a newer model if nothing really has changed.
  • cem2cem2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 mazda5 that has been a wheel and tire nightmare. Replaced shocks, now they say I need struts. I am fed up and getting rid of it. Love everything else about the car (okay - the headlights stink too). Do you happen to know if there are any newer models that had addressed this suspension-wheel-tire issue and if so what years? Thank you!
  • I'm not at all familiar with the record of the 2009 Mazda 5. Our 2006 has been great except for the tire-wear problem. That problem, however, now seems to be minimized substantially by having the tires rotated at every oil change (which for me is every 4-6k; I use a synthetic blend). We're currently running a set of Hankooks. Rf earlier msg [ http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f3660/189#MSG189 ]

We, however, were never advised by the dealer to replace shocks or struts. My personal impression is the dealer's mechanics might have been guessing at your problem. I know it's not fair to second guess the mechanic, but I've done enough car repairs to know sometimes things are not what they seem.

All I personally can recommend is considering the possibility you might have a lemon. I know that certainly is no comfort at all. I hope someone else reads your question and has a solution to offer.

If you have a lemon, sometimes a dealer can get some support from the manufacturer. Sometimes. I have a friend who had a really, really bad experience with GM. He created enough of an issue re his problem he received a new transmission only to have that one fail prematurely. BTW, now he and his wife drive a Kia and a Nissan.

On a side note, I've consulted Consumer Reports whenever I purchase a vehicle. It's worked well for me. So I would recommend checking out their rating for the '09 Mazda 5. If they show suspension as a weakness for that model, it might help build a case re the "lemon" status I mentioned.

Otherwise, I strongly recommend you avoid any make/model that uses low-profile tires. They might look cool, but they suck re durability.

Good luck.
  • bikeopelibikeopeli Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I've owned a 2006 Mazda 5 Sport for 4 years now and we put about 30,000 miles on it each year. I have put new struts and shocks on it once in those 4 years and put a new set of tires on it about every 12 months and that is actually to be expected. You can get the best mileage from your tires if you rotate them with each oil change but the 17" low profile tires will wear out completely in 25K -30K miles even if you treat them nice. Here's the thing, the Mazda 5 is a fairly tall vehicle with extremely stiff (sporty) suspension and I love the way it drives, however there is no give anywhere not even in the sidewall of the tire so the only lateral give is when cornering is when the tread scrubs on the tire. It's not so much poor design as pure physics, tall vehicle+super stiff suspension+soft squishy tire at the end of the lever and the tire takes all the load. If you want a very sporty but very roomy little people hauler it's great but if you drive it aggressively at all or even if you don't you will wear out tires in what seems like a short time. Although in my case 30,000 is actually reasonably normal. Just don't spend a ton on expensive tires shop for good deals at TireRack or places like that and expect to put tires on it every 25-30K miles, maybe less if you drive like an Andretti, which is easy to do with the way this thing handles. As a side note I'm about to put 16" wheels on mine from a similar year Mazda 3 and winter tires. I'll let you know how that turns out.
  • @bikeopeli: That's an excellent analysis of why the Mazda 5 (or any other vehicle's) low-profile tires wear out quickly. Thank you.

Since I've started rotating at every oil change, I'm also getting around 30k on a set of tires. When we first started driving the 5, we got something like 15k. And we weren't driving like Andretti. BUT I must say the vehicle certainly makes you feel like you could. Tight and responsive. Gotta love it.

Please let us know what your experience is with the 16" rims. Someone also suggested using some Mazda 3 14" (I think) rims. No doubt a person has to give up the tight feel due to higher sidewalls, but maybe a person could get closer to the old-style mileage of 50-60k.
  • jonat1xjonat1x Posts: 34
    edited March 28

I've just replaced a set of Goodyear Eagle RS-A's after 54,000 miles. They would have been good for a little bit longer but I damaged one in a pothole so decided to put on a new set. When I bought them I did quite a bit of research into finding something quiet, and they were an improvement over the OEM tires.

This time around I did some more research and ended up buying a set of Milestar MS932's and I'm really astonished at how much quieter the car is riding. I'll post in due course about how they seem to wear.

My baby is 2008 Mazda5 Touring.

123457»