Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 iPod, Stereo, Sirius, AUX

Comments

• carlitos92carlitos92 Posts: 458
    "Mazda has an iPod adapter listed as an accessory for the CX-7." Sweet!

I couldn't get the link to work, but I can see it when I'm logged in to Mazda as an owner: Part No. C236-79-CFZ.
    "Taking your iPod along for the ride just became a lot easier. The iPod Adapter integrates your iPod to your Mazda with crystal clear sound and built in battery charger. Works with all 30-pin, dock connector equipped iPods."

They also have a picture of the DVD entertainment system I had been interested in (it apparently had "delayed availability"), but it looks pretty low-rent IMHO...
  • I contacted Mazda and here's the Info I got back from them.
    There is iPod integration coming to the Mazda CX-7 and other 2007
    models. This item is going to be an accessory that you can purchase
    from an authorized Mazda dealership and they would need to install it
    for you. Unfortunately, pricing has not been announced yet, but I have
    listed below all the information we have so far on this topic.

"iPod Connectivity: Mazda will be launching an iPod Integration Module
    for the CX-7 and other ?07 models this fall. This module will connect
    the iPod (placed in the glove box) to the audio head unit.

This module will

(a) Transfer iPod controls to the radio controls or to the steering
    wheel controls

(b) Provide limited display of music info on the information center of
    the dash

(c) Charge the battery of the iPod

Customers will be able to purchase the module and have it installed at
    their Mazda dealership.

More info will be available closer to launch."

Hope this helps ya!
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    OK, all you smarties out there, I need your help. How do you make the CD info show up on the screen, e.g., name of the CD, name of the track, artist's name? I managed to get one CD's info to show up, after accidently selecting the Centerpoint option. However, none of the other 5 CD's are showing the info. What am I doing wrong, or neglecting to do? Also, oddly, when I ejected the one CD whose data did show up, and put in a different CD in its place, no data showed up either. Is it possible that it's something off with all my CD's? :confuse:
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    What you're inquiring about is a feature called CD Text. Not all commercial music CDs have the data encoded. Look on the lable - that'll reveal if the CD is encoded with text. For more info, goto: http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/cdtext.htm

Vince.
  • Does anyone know the Tech. Package come w/ bluetooth feature??
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Posts: 458
    It doesn't.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    I put this out on an earlier post, but I can pop it here again. ;)

You can create your own CD text discs from your computer if you have a CD burner. Go to www.realplayer.com and download their media player, {its a freebie} the instructions are easy to handle, after you've selected your songs to be burned, click on the EDIT OPTIONS tab where you can add cd text and name the disc your way!

Check it out for yourself! :shades:
  • I have made 3 mp3 discs on Imation cd-r's and none of them will play :mad: ... When inserted, the player counts seconds as if track #1 is being played, but no sound comes out. If i try to advance the track, it starts over counting on track #1 again.

Yes-I read the car manual. Here is what I have tried. Please let me know if you know what I am doing wrong. Also, please let me know what I am missing if you have gotten it to work.

1st try: iTunes (Mac OS X). mp3 cd.
    2nd try: Roxio Toast Titanium. data disc: ISO 9660.
    3rd try: Roxio Toast Titanium. audio disc: mp3 disc.

please help!!! thank you.
    Hmmm, that doesn't seem right. So, let's try some good ol' troubleshooting techniques. What follows may irk you, but you have to start at the beginning, so bear with me.

1. Those 3 discs - do they play in other players, in other decks, other vehicles? In your computer? Not a conclusive test, but it may yield clues. If those 3 discs don't play in other players, then it's most likely the discs.

2. Have you tried playing other MP3 discs, perhaps from a friend, in the CX7 deck?

3. Does the CX7 deck player play regular CDs, i.e. ones you've bought commercially?

4. Does the CX7 deck player play standard audio (non-MP3 encoded) discs you've recorded?

5. As a test, you might try re-recording one of those discs, using a different brand of disc. You MIGHT just have a bad batch of discs.

6. You didn't mention what MP3 software you're using. It might be an older version. I've the Real Player 10.5 (the premium version), that allows me to record either standard audio (with text) or MP3 with all of the options. The premium version was only $20 downloaded. It's a fabulous piece of software and I've always had luck with it. So, as an additional test, use someone else's computer and their MP3 software, to encode a disc. Will THAT play in the CX7?

If your troubleshooting reveals that your discs and encoding software work well in other players and the CX7 doesn't seem to play properly, then visit your Mazda dealer for service.

Vince.
  • Maybe more importantly, does your CD changer have an "MP3" logo off on the left side? Not all the Bose changers play MP3s.

I have a GT w/o Tech, but with the Bose/sunroof option, and I was disappointed to find that it will not play MP3s. No one ever promised me it would play them, but since the manual has to cover all flavors of CX-7, it could make a person assume they have capabilities they don't... Good luck.
    Good catch! I hadn't thought of that angle!

Vince.
  • (in response to all posts)

1. the discs did work in my computer. i haven't tried them in another car player yet. also haven't tried other mp3 discs in my player.

2. i haven't tried any commercial cd's but i did burn a few in audio file (non-mp3) mode. these work fine.

3. i have the latest iTunes and Roxio Toast 6.0.7 (2004). the audio cd's i made that work are each from these, so i think there's no problem with the program themselves or the discs i used.

4. anyway, i do not remember seeing the mp3 logo on the unit i have (Touring with moonroof/BOSE package). i guess it won't work afterall.

5. yes, the manual is confusing. it starts simply "This unit can play mp3 files..." it does a good job defining what an mp3 is, but perhaps it would have been more helpful to define what "This unit" is! :mad: :P It does not qualify that at all. :confuse:

It seems my quest has ended... should I check with my dealership first?

It is a little upsetting that a 2007 model with an additional sound package will not even play mp3's. Alas, I still LOVE this car! ;)

thanks for your help. :shades:
  • Hi ,

Any body know how to turn on the Auto locak function.......

And another question. After the 1 CD it is not skipping to the next CD.. It still goes back to song 1 in the first CD.. any idea.. how to change the setting??

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

SSS
    Autolock is strictly a dealer action. You can't do it yourself.

As for the CD problem...not a clue.

Vince.
  • Check to see if the "Repeat" button has been pushed on the disc player.
    Also, it really depends on which system you have in your car, remember the CX-7 has three units available; standard unit, the Bose unit w/o the Nav system, and the Nav system Bose.
    Thanks for digging out the details!

Vince.
  • joeygejoeyge Posts: 4
    Hi,
    So it will work, if you don't have factory installed Sirius?
    How much is the iPod connection and what does it entail? My dealer doesn't even know it exists.
    Could I alternate and plug my Sirius Sporster unit (which I already have) in it also? It would work if there was a 1/8 pin connector rather than a iPod dock connector.
    Any options to switch?
    For anyone experience disruptions with their Sirius service, Sirius has posted a notice on their websites, for numerous Mazda models, including the CX7.

I never noticed any disruption, but I'm gratified that Mazda and Sirius have gone to extraordinary lengths to notify their customers. I received an automated call from Sirius and they've posted this notice on their website:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&c- - id=1160165279694

Vince.
  • thom_ythom_y Posts: 6
    So for us early adopters who rushed to put the Navigation option on our CX-7, how can we hook up our iPods. I don't like FM modulation kits. Are there any third party solutions for the Navigation head unit ??
    Currently there are no aftermarket connectors that are anything other than FM modulators.
    We DO have the Media button on our units but its inoperable in the U.S. markets. :(
    There are a few questionable items online that you can add to the head unit, but I'm worried that they will void the warranty.

Hang in there... They're bound to figure out something for us Techies!
    So it will work, if you don't have factory installed Sirius? No... It uses the same connection sources

How much is the iPod connection and what does it entail? My dealer quoted me of $149 plus installation.
    My dealer doesn't even know it exists. Tell him to get off of his lazy @## and get online!
    Could I alternate and plug my Sirius Sporster unit (which I already have) in it also? I'm guessing if you already have the Sirius unit hardwired from the factory, you might just want to wait for any updates.
    It would work if there was a 1/8 pin connector rather than a iPod dock connector. It's only going to work for the dock connector though, since the head unit also allows the steering wheel controls to control the iPod.
    Any options to switch? Hang tight, theres way too much money on the table for Mazda to walk away from, not to mention any models they might want to offer with the Tech package in the future would be obsolete before they left Japan.
    Apple and Mazda will come up with something...
    ;)
  • I have GT AWD with NAV and BOSE system

1. Any update on IPOD adopter

2. How do I display the FM channels name in the display.. Like the one in Murano..??

Thanks..
    Go to this discussion thread about the IPOD:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f3a79

As for displaying FM channel names? Can't be done. This is one of those shortcomings of this head unit.

Vince.
  • My dealer also quoted me $149 plus installation.

When I bought this vehicle I was specifically told that it would play MP3 files. In fact, when I was looking, I wanted a vehicle to either play MP3s or have an AUX port. Turns out it DOESN'T play MP3s OR have an AUX port. Oh it will play MP3s if you bought the right one from the factory in the beginning. To get the right one now costs $550.

And I was also told that you cannot have the AUX port if you have Sirius installed. The port, by the way, would be installed in the glove box.

Someone mentioned maybe a switch. Even if I had a manual switch on the line going into the Sirius port that would allow me to plug in the 1/8 pin. Does this sound feasible?
    My belief is that Apple will come up with something for the unit for those of us who have Sirius installed. I don't think a switch will be the answer though... The Sirius brain is also controlled by the steering wheel controls as well as the head unit, and thats a bit much for a single switch to overcome.
    You can get an FM modulator installed that will allow the 1/8 jack to plug into your ear jack, but the sound won't be the best. And if the salesman specifically told you that the unit would play MP3s, I say haul their butt into the General Manager's office to make the switch free of charge unless they want a negative referral on their opinion survey!
    {They hate that} ;)
    While you're at the dealer, make sure they've swapped out the gas cap for the new version that has the gaskets on the cap to prevent the engine light to come on.
    :shades:
  • Thing is, I want the AUX jack that's just the 1/8 plug because i don't have an iPod, I have a PDA. An iPod jack would do me no good at all.

Also, I've already tried to force them with opinion survey, knowing they get paid on good reviews. That's when they told me that it sould cost me $550 to get one that plays MP3s. Guess I need to play hardball.
    Everybody has a guy whose over him... When he won't budge , go to HIS boss and so on and so on until the owner of the dealership tells you "no". Then I'd call Mazda!

The thing is, is that the floor managers don't want any problems going over their heads, and they'll do whatever it takes to make it right before the owner finds out about it!

Trust me, after working in the business for 6 years, I found out first hand how pressure on the GM will make a customer very happy! ;)

There is not a General Manager alive who wants the owner to know he can't solve a customer problem on something so trivial as a head unit on a new car that his salesperson misspoke about!
    Keep working 'em over, they'll give!
  • It might be worth a shot if one has a strong constitution, but if I had capitalized on every false or ignorant claim made by an inept salesperson, I'd be rich by now.

Legally speaking, if a guy said a car did "x" it's your word against theirs. Frankly, neither the Monroney sticker nor the brochures point to an MP3-compatible player, and the $500 range is probably where it starts to get hard to recoup without a real fight.

Anyway, good luck, but the best policy next time is to strive to be more educated about the car than the salesman. Sadly, in my experience, it usually ain't that hard.
  • I wrote him a lengthy email yesterday. He replied that he'd get back with me.

He's the Mazda manager... he's also the owner's son. This is a huge dealership too, Lujacks Auto Plaza. I believe they have every major mfgr except Ford.

I'm sure he won't want Dad to find out.

There are other issues with the vehicle as well. It's only getting 16-20 mpg on the Hwy for example, and they tell me that's perfectly acceptable. The key and remote start fob have stopped working and they're on backorder indefinitely. And many other things. :mad:
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Also, I've already tried to force them with opinion survey, knowing they get paid on good reviews. That's when they told me that it sould cost me $550 to get one that plays MP3s. Guess I need to play hardball.

We don't get paid on individual surveys...