Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Engine Problems

124»

Comments

• gonogogonogo Posts: 874
    Should have googled before you bought.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    That's pretty unhelpful.

Additionally, if this member purchased the vehicle new, there'd not have been any info on long-term reliability and problems, unless he/she has a time machine allowing him/her to zip straight to 2011.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    Kirstie....post #91 states the poster bought the car used about a year ago...so he in fact purchased a 8 year old car with Im betting over 100k on it when purchased...
  • jodi7jodi7 Posts: 9
    The car had 43,126 miles on it when I purchased it.
    If hindsight were 20/20 I would have googled Deloreans, Confederate money, and Jack-a-lope breeding partnerships before investing in them but alas its not. Still doesn't change the fact that Chevy Malibu's are about as good an investment.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    wow..that is less that 5k a year...hardly driven as a matter of fact...and wondering how the maintenance was handled...regular oil changes etc....I've always wondered if a car isnt driven enough over its life span..does that also contribute to long term maintenance issues.....

regardless, hope you can get the issues corrected....
    It was kept as a second car and had regular maintenance, according to manufacturers specs. (yes, I've seen the records) Heck, I'd be happy if we could just figure out the intermittant starting issue... At this point, assuming I want to put more $$$ into this car we'll probably have the coolant system flushed, do a tune-up, switch out the distributor cap and air, oil, filters, fuel filter was swapped at the fuel pump exchange. I really wish GM had come up with a way to disengage the pass lock system because I think that is the cause but there is no way to disengage it.
    Its an interesting question, my brother was a mechanic (he's deceased now) and he always said it doesn't really matter how MUCH a car is driven just HOW its driven...I don't think this car was beat on it.
    Thanks-me too.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    If you are a very short distance driver you might want to step up oil changes. My sister had a 70's T-Bird which she drove 2.5 miles to work. With less than 30K the engine was declared bad. That distance was never enough to warm the engine, especially in WI winters. By 3K the oil was apparently diluted with gas and other combustion products. She probably should have changed about every 500 miles or at least 4 times a year.
  • 3mlk3mlk Posts: 1
    Hi, we bought a used 2004 malibu that had 71,000 miles and had it 2 days before my 16 yr old daughter cracked the oil pan and drove it until it locked up. We bought a manufactured rebuilt 4 cyl 2.2 Echo engine same size that the car had from another malibu that had 65,000 original miles on it. Once installed the car would run ok for a while then it would die every so often like at a stop light or when you are parking. We took to 2 different Chevy dealers and nobody could figure out what was wrong because no codes where being thrown. So we had the fuel pump replaced and had new fuel relay switches put in and it ran ok for awhile but then started to die again. The car always starts back up after it dies. The other day when we replaced the relay switch again, my husband could not even touch the switch to change it because it was so hot. The rpm gauges also fluctuates when this is happening. Yesterday when my daughter was driving the car she said it was like she was giving it gas but that the car was not getting any gas then it would all the sudden surge like it got gas again. This has been going on for 11 months now and nobody can figure this out even after new fuel pump and relays. We have been told maybe there is a short in the wires to fuel pump from relay, maybe electronic injector is clogged up, and that they have no idea just live with it. It seems to be happening more often now. Please any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Do not want her to be in bad wreck because car keeps dying. Thanks, Melissa
  • My Malibu's battery drains with in 15 minutes of starting. I have had the alternator test and it's good, new battery was tested. I had it read with 2 separate electronic readers and both came up with no code. Please HELP I just want too fix it so I can get rid of it. this car is a money trap.
    Sounds as though you might have an open circuit, or possibly a bad fuse. I went though the Malibu moneypit woes, with a malibu with multiple problems. I ended up putting $800. into to it to junk the car the day after it came out of the shop. I would check the fuses first, replace them even if they are not burned out. Does the car charge back up or do you need a jump to restart it? are you sure the battery is doing this and not something else. I know the Crankshaft Position Sensor can cause a car to not start or shut down when started and it is a relatively easy fix. My experience with the Malibu was that you can put thousands into them and still not have the problem fixed. I am now very happily driving a Ford. Good luck.
    My former Malibu did this exact thing, well never died while driving but if parked would die, then if not caught at exactly the right moment would crank, then start or not. I was sometimes left sitting for a couple of hours. Jumps or manipulating the fuel system didn't work. And I replaced the major components of the fuel system. Have them replace the Crankshaft Position sensor, its a cheap, easy repair and can defiinitely cause starting/dying issues. we were never able to figure out the problem But theories were the passlock system (a theft deterrant) was shutting off the fuel pump. My car started having some hesitancy issues while driving, slow-fast etc and the mechanic determined we had gasket issues (eventually the car was running temp in the red zone), while the mechanic was in the engine he discovered a head gasket that was almost to the point of blown. Intake manifold gaskets going are a very common problem in Chevy's, head gaskets not so much, but once repaired WITH NO OTHER ISSUES your engine should be fine. check to see if the car is using antifreeze/low in water thats a good indicator the gaskets are bad. I was not able to get my intermittant starting problem fixed but also have them check out the passlock/ignition switch. Is the theft light blinking when the car does this?
  • I have a 2002 Malibu and there is this whining noise coming from the engine when I start it. Sometimes it will go away after it warms up but lately it hasn't. When I looked under the hood, it sounds like when something has rusted and it is turning is squeaks (sounds like something needs to be oiled). It seems to get louder when I press on the gas/accelerate. No indicator lights are on and it runs fine but the noise is irritating at times. Can anyone tell me what this may be and what I can do to get it to stop? I'm not really trying to go to the dealer and pay an outrageous price for something minor. Thanks.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    Might be an idler pulley bearing (that the serpentine belt runs around). You can buy a mechanic's stethoscope pretty cheaply at Autozone and if you are CAREFUL you can use this tool to listen to exactly where the engine noise is coming from. Of course, you cannot stick this probe into a whirring belt, but you can safely use it to probe the alternator or power steering pump or AC compressor.

sometimes the only way to know for sure is disconnect the serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away when you start the engine.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Thank you. I will see if someone can do this for me.
  • the intermittent starting problem is most likely caused by the passlock security system, i was able to remedy this problem by turning the car on and removing the ignition switch then cutting the yellow wire that is plugged into the top of the switch. there should be three wires on this plug, be sure the engine is RUNNING BEFORE YOU CUT THE WIRE!!!!!!! doing this puts the passlock into a fail enable mode effectively disabling the security feature. the security light on the dash will stay on all the time but the car will always start, did this to my 2000 malibu 2 years ago and havent had that problem since.
  • haulthault Posts: 124
    Did you ever find out what was wrong with the temperature gauge not working?
124»