Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• carolinabobcarolinabob Posts: 495
    Interesting that there are always NEW people complaining about Genesis or Azera suspension/ride, but the same people always respond and attack them. Regardless, Consumer Reports did pick the Genesis as number one in its class, but commented negatively three times about the ride in its review. Also, in their April issue, they stated one of the negatives of Hyundai cars was the suspension.
    Furthermore, please see http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2009-hyundai-genesis-1.htm, particularly the ratings chart and the comments from professional reviewers.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Interesting this is all you can cotribute post after post, never mind the insinuation about others who didn't agree with what you wanted to see.
  • I purchased a 2007 Azera and shipped it to Korea, It rides great on the roads here because, like you said, the roads are rough.
    See my post on the 2009 Genesis thread.
  • donna388donna388 Posts: 69
    Don't know about others including yourself, but those of us that do own an Azera and are
    not happy with the suspension have every right to gripe about it as often as we like.

There are indeed those who are content with the ride, and that is fine as far as I
    am concerned. If they like the wallowing, porpusing and unsafe bobbing about
    from lack of proper jounce and rebound control, that's fine with me!

Professional testers have commented on the poor suspension numerous
    times, so I leave it up to them. For me, I am not happy with our Azera.
    We suffer from it's ride every time we go anywhere.

Won't be suffering for too much longer according to my Lemon Law Attorney. :lemon:
    I'd guess you don't read bob's posts often.

He comes off pleading his case as if he's been somehow trying to provide objective info to those seeking them, yet the suspension has been the only item he has posted, post after post. He has referred to his sources as authoritative, yet those sources have provided both the positive and the negative. Any backside agenda aside, if he was trying to be objective, then he would have provided both sides of the story.

Yes, I understand the suspension is not a strong suit of Hyundai vehicle; I also understand the fact any cars built by humans are not always perfect, and this applies to all brands, so yes, certain owners may get bad apples, and that is very unfortunate. Still, I believe Hyundai's suspension system is at least adequate for the intent of its vehicles. I haven't driven an Azera in a while but have had many hours of seat time in the Genesis - of course it doesn't handle like a 5er, and I didn't expect to, for a luxury sedan and all. FWIW, most professional mags have commented similarily. As for the Azera, I've found it to be a better Buick, and that was exactly what I expected going in (most of the cars in the class drives like that).

Certainly there are improvements Hyundai can make, no doubt.
    Au contaire, I have read every one of and all of Bobs posts on every forum he
    is on including the Hyundai 'Think Tank' where we are both members.
    We don't see you there do we?
    It is truly a shame that you do not know Bob as well as I do, in fact, you do not
    know him at all. We have spent many productive hours talking one on one.

To his credit, Bob does try to present opinions from others that do criticize the Azeras'
    suspension, so anyone can plainly see that what he says is simply not his opinion only.

Both of us have Azeras with the exact same problem, so we do in fact know all about them.
    We both are on our third sets of factory shocks, so we both do have
    as have several others here been through that suspension mill.

For you to compare the suspension of any Buick with the average Azera is ludicrous.
    Buicks are a product of General Motors, and as such, there are no finer suspensions.
    If Buick were to have produced such terrible suspension as our Azeras,
    they'd have been history a long time ago.

Since some of the magazine writers are knocking the Genesis suspension,
    why is it that you say that it is 'okay'?

Did you know that Hyundai is hard at work trying to fix those Genesis suspension problems? :confuse:
    I wonder why!
    Let me give you an example of his posts - this one he had referenced to the Genesis:

However, it appears many will not admit to problems or just don't understand how a luxury car is supposed to perform - in all categories.

Of course, just like the Azera, there are no merits whatsover, everything is bad; everyone has to comply with his opinions or else :sick: When was the last time he (or yourself) attributed one good thing about the Azera, for example?

It's not even about the suspension; he'd come in every month or so and bring his beef, yet he tells everyone his objective intent. Does the suspension alone account for the whole car? If he wanted to be objective, then be objective; go through the good and the bad, heck, even the Yugo had some good merits.

Oh by the way, if you'd think there are no finer suspensions than Buicks...well, trust me, there are :)

The Genesis rides/handles just fine for a luxury sedan, especially on highway and smooth surface. Again, I've said there are room for improvements, but certainly I've experienced nothing even remotely as scary as some of the stories made out to be, true of not.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's talk about the car instead of other posters, okay?
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    There are indeed those who are content with the ride, and that is fine as far as I
    am concerned. If they like the wallowing, porpusing and unsafe bobbing about

There are quite a few of us that are content with the ride because we don't experience the wallowing, porpusing and "unsafe" bobbing about from lack of proper jounce and rebound control.

What testers have said the Azera suspension was poor? I've read plenty of times where they said it could be better, but hardly poor.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We need to talk about the car and not other posters. If you want your post to stand, you need to keep that in mind.
    heck, even the Yugo had some good merits he he he...yeah, it was disposable! At one point it was hard to believe that anything could come out and be worse than the Hyundai Excel. VOILA...Yugo!!!

Seriously...the Genesis is one of those cars either you like it or you don't. There's a few that want to like it, but because it's a Hyundai, they have to find fault with it. It actually seems like those posting about the Genesis suspension have actually driven one as opposed to how it was with the Azera. Yet, I know there's a few out there that are simply repeating what they've heard and have no first hand experience to draw from. Which really makes me wonder how someone could wrongly distort facts by saying the suspension was unsafe in any way, shape or form. Do you realize if it was truly unsafe, there would be investigations, forced recalls and more likely than not...media coverage of it (remember when the Suzuki Sidekicks were prone to tipping over)??? There is also nothing wrong with objective opinion when the truth and facts are stated, but again...you have folks that skew facts and bend truth to benefit their cause.

Then there are those that log in as multiple screen names to the same forum and make various negative postings to make the problem seem worse than it really is. There is one I suspect in this very forum just based on the way his posts are put together. Any forum I'm a part of, I use the same screen name for the purpose of consistency.

What really kills me in all this is that they bought the Genesis without seemingly taking it for a serious test drive. I'm sorry...a REAL test drive would have shown you any suspension discrepancies that would have put you on notice. How can you take a test drive an find nothing wrong, but a week after purchase...complain about the suspension??? Honestly, I think some of those people are tired of getting razzed by their friends and family for dropping +$35k for a Hyundai. ;) Until someone else is paying my car note(s), I could care less what your thoughts are regarding the vehicles parked in my driveway. :shades:
    "To make a statement that there are no finer suspensions than those found in Buicks...
    it really makes me question your automobile credibility."

I did not make that precise statement. What I did say was that GM as a group does make the finest suspensions which of course includes Buick. We should all be so lucky with the Azeras.
    Read todays news: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090319/ap_on_bi_ge/autos_dependability;_ylt=AohkBmy- d5zfqztBeL7zIm9934T0D
    Surprise surprise. Buick is on top.
    Read the entire article. You will not find any Hyundai product even mentioned!

Why do you criticize me? Weren't you the one that just had only one strut replaced recently? Your Azera suspension is great, but you allowed your fine dealer to replace only one side? How is that balanced? That's like relining the brakes on one side only.
    A new strut on one side and the other side has over 60K miles on it! :sick:

Most of us have 'normal tastes' and do not consider 20 inch wheels and extremely low profile sidewall tires the proper way to go. With sidewalls that short, the ride must be rather stiff.
    If that's your thing, that's fine with me, but that combination surely changes
    the stock ride doesn't it? I do not expect you to admit that little fact!

"Some life you have there to follow another poster around to every single forum he
    may be a part of AND take the time to read every single one of his posts.
    Does that make you an authority on the Azera suspension or on Carolinabob?"

I have the time thank you, for unlike you, I am retired and not at work. What I do with my time is none of your business. Who is to say that maybe he follows me around. You read his posts too, and as a matter of fact you probably spend much more time on these forums that I do.
    You post more than Bob and I do combined, although most of your post are meaningless.
    How many posts have you made compared to the combined totals of Bob and I?
    Of course I am not an authority on Bob, or anyone else for that matter.
    I do know considerably more about him that you do because, unlike you, I have
    spent many many hours speaking with him. Have you ever spoken to Bob?

As far as being an authority on the Azera suspension, I've got you beat there, having been
    back to the agency now six time for that same problem over the last 18 months.
    Can you rattle off all the shock part numbers from memory as I can? I thought not!
    Based on that fact is how my ownership of this otherwise almost perfect car
    will terminate shortly under California's Sony-Beverly (Lemon Law) act. :lemon:

Like many others here, I do know all about the problems with the Azera suspension.
    Many here including yourself are happy with their Azeras suspension. I am not one.
    That's why I am 'jumping ship.'

Carry on and enjoy!

:)
    GM makes the finest suspension? I can't stop laughing here.

Read todays news: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090319/ap_on_bi_ge/autos_dependability;_ylt=AohkBmy- - d5zfqztBeL7zIm9934T0D
    Surprise surprise. Buick is on top.
    Read the entire article. You will not find any Hyundai product even mentioned!

Hyundai is at 161, much better than last year's showing, at 200 last year, for comparison.

While GM's umbrella is quite large, they can hardly be credited with making the finest suspensions in the game.

As far as my strut replacement, only one strut was giving problems and it wasn't a ride quality issue, it was a creaking noise over bumps. If the other one offers any problems, then back it'll go for replacement. I guess I'm just too laid back and easy going to get in an uproar as to why they would only replace one side when it's quite possible the other one should be replaced, but hey...if they want to do the alignment a 2nd time, it's on them and I'm not gonna worry about it since it's all covered by warranty. If I were paying out of pocket...it would be a different story.

I've read Carolinabob's postings, but hardly all of them...maybe only a fraction of them considering the only place I've read them is here in this forum. I would hardly believe that he would be the one doing the following because the more you post, the more I truly believe who you really are. There is no possible way I could spend more time in these forums if you've been the one to have read all of Bob's postings....sorry, I'm just not a groupie. I haven't spoken to Bob and I don't need to. I have not discounted his issues or your issues with the Azera suspension and you shouldn't be accusing everyone else of being in denial with their respective Azeras. Do you really think that just because you and Bob have shared the same issue that everyone else in the rest of the nation MUST have the same problem as well?

I am truly sorry that you have had the experience you've had with your Azera, while you get out of yours, I will continue to happily motor on down the road in mine. The content and direction of your post, along with your location...I've pretty much figured out who you are. Don't worry Batman...your secret is safe with me! :shades:
    Funny thing is...GM is supposedly so good, a majority of their umbrella is below the industry average. I'm supposed to believe that GM is just THAT great based on that info???
    Edmunds in its 2006 review for one said it was not as good as it should be and there were others. There were also others. The most telling was Chris Wardlaw on the Consumers Guide auto website back in 2006/2007.
    See my post on 2009 Genesis thread.
  • gamlegedgamleged Posts: 442
    I guess I'm among the more fortunate ones in that my 2006 Limited (35k miles and counting) doesn't seem to notably suffer from wallowing, porpusing and unsafe bobbing about from lack of proper jounce and rebound control, and that's certainly fine with me! I'm still driving with all of the original suspension components, though I suspect that, in another year or two, I may have to buy a set of new tires, replacing the OEM Michelins... :D
    Exactly my point...most of the reviews have said that very thing or have said...the suspension could be better, but that it was more than adequate. Did you ever see the test drive of the car on the Speed Channel? They were running the Genesis sedan around a track and it held it's poise nicely, even when the tires ran up on the ridged track edge on a few corners. Not once did the driver complain that the car felt skittish or uncontrolled.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,536
    I think the question has to be asked-- "compared to what?"

Compared to a GM car or a Lexus, the Genesis handles fine. Compared to a BMW---no, it's not even close. So say the mags anyway.

I agree with you completely. I can take it one further and say the Genesis suspension doesn't compare to that of an Audi A6 (which I just purchased this past weekend). Honestly...the Germans seem to have a strong handle (no pun intended) on what good handling should be. Don't get me wrong, the Japanese do extremely well too, but whenever anyone talks suspension...BMW always seems to be the standard. Another company that seems to have a hand in other car makers' suspensions is Lotus, and of course we know that Benz is tops too.

Honestly, I could go as far as saying that the suspension on the Genesis is as good as most that come from the Japanese makers and will hold up well against most American offerings as well. Of course I'm talking about cars of the same ilk as the Genesis.

However, the suspension must offer something good if the skid pad numbers were pretty darn good as it out performed a Benz E550 (0.89 g) & a BMW 550i (0.90 g) in dry cornering by posting a 0.94 g. It was also said to be on par with other performance sedans known for handling in regards to slalom testing. Check out the videos for yourself...

Hyundai Genesis Performance Videos
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,536
    All well and good but we've all probably been victim of "looks good on paper" and then we drive the car and it's a whole other sensation.

A skateboard gets excellent ratings on a skidpad I bet. :P

Actually...I used to ride skateboards in my youth...I wouldn't bank on skidpad #'s from a skateboard!!! LOL

I would agree with the looks good on paper statement, but they actually show the cars in action in the videos. In order for them to get those #'s...testing had to be done, so it's not like they are projected #'s.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Posts: 352
    If they like the wallowing, porpusing and unsafe bobbing about

I can't say that I would like the sort of symptoms you describe, but my 2006 Azera does not exhibit any of them - at least under the conditions in which it is operated. I see that you live in California, the land of high speed and good roads.

Here in Michigan, due to a combination of a cash strapped government and constant thawing and refreezing during the winter, our roads are atrocious. The soft ride of the Azera seems to be designed for these conditions. The previous comments in this blog concerning the roughness of Korean roads shows me where Hyundai gets its priorities for suspension.

It just seems odd how some posters here are convinced that we Azera owners who do not have suspension problems are simply too ignorant to see the problems that are so obviously there ( at least to them ). Granted, I do not operate my Azera at extremely high speeds, but up to 80MPH on the freeway it works just fine and is superb on the nasty side roads.
  • jaszijaszi Posts: 7
    I'm in Ohio and have had the same problem that everyone else has with my 2006 Azera. I got the parts replaced in the fall as suggested by several of the other posters because I had been one who was going back and forth with the dealership. I do not hold anything against those who have not experienced the same problems that many of us have, they were just lucky to not have to experience it. My car seems to be working fine for now.
    No I'm not a Buckeye! I'm a Spartan and I'm proud of that.
  • tonycdtonycd Posts: 223
    Hey Allmet, congratulations on your A6.

Does this new acquisition replace your Azera? I know you did a lot of terrific mods to it.
    Tonycd...the A6 actually replaced the Outlook we had. We needed to scale back a bit. So...the good news is, I still have my Azera!!! ;)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to drive it for almost a month now as the dealer is waiting for the seat heating element to get here from Korea so it can be replaced. :sick: They've got me in a loaner (09 Sonata w/I4 engine) and it SUCKS!!! The best thing about the car is the XM radio and the USB connectivity (I have been plugging 2 GB flash drives in and listening to all kinds of music. I tell you, going from my Azera to the Sonata is like going from a Harley to a bicycle! LOL

Stay tuned...still more mods to come on the Azera, but at the same time...I've gotta put in some work on fixin up the wife's A6. Nothing over the top, but she wants to shine a little too.
  • khathuykhathuy Posts: 5
    After you change the strut mounts, do they only solve problem or they also solve the bouncing over rough road problem. Thanks
  • tonycdtonycd Posts: 223
    I had a rental 4-banger Sonata, base trim, a few months back. Decent transit capsule sort of a car; the only real irritant was that they seemed to reserve seat padding for the Limited version. Of course, it wasn't a real big performer either.