Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• azgrandazgrand Posts: 50
    I also sent an e-mail to Monroe. Their response was:
    "The 72218 fits both the Azera and the Sonata. Both of these vehicles share the same platform."

Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't think that's correct. Anyone know how to get the Hyundai part numbers for the front struts for the '06 Azera vs. the '06 Sonata so I can show Monroe that the Azera and Sonata do not share the same platform?
    Thanks.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    I believe the Azera and the Sonata do share the same platform. I don't know if you would also have to purchase the different mounts from Monroe to use the aftermarket shocks.
  • I haven't heard from Monroe yet. This is what I have for Azera P/N 546113L640 Front struts and 553113L640 Rear shocks, I believe the 2006 used P/N 3L040 strut and shock. Best place to get P/N for the Sonata is a dealer.

I don't belive its the same platform, there must be a weight difference and that alone would change the strut/shocks.

Also you or Monroe got the Monroe P/N mixed up, its 72281 vs 72218.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    If you check out NapaOnline or other parts suppliers, you will see that they do use the same number for the Sonata and Azera front struts. And if they are interchangeable, KYB shows a new replacement strut for the Sonata that should be available 2nd quarter this year.
  • I just ordered the monroe struts and will have them installed Monday. Wish me luck!!
    2007 Azera SE
  • All Azera owners wish you luck and hope you keep us advised if you do have good luck.
    Please do let us know the outcome! I have never had the clunking issue -- I'm just tired of the Azera floating on it's suspension like a mid-70's Buick!
  • trispeed, any update on the strut installation? Did they make any difference in how your car rides?
    .....don't make us have to come get you....... :)
  • shagnatshagnat Posts: 78
    c'mon buddy, we're all waiting with baited breath....... not sure what that means, but, i read it all the time...... lmao!!!
  • If I found the secret to help Azera owners improve the suspension on their cars I would let them know LOUD and CLEAR. Lets go trispeed, give those that need your help the answers they are waiting for. Personally, I have over 30K on my late model 08 and have no problem with the suspension, but there are others that have problems and look forward to your discovery.
  • shagnatshagnat Posts: 78
    I have an early 2008 Limited and don't have any of the swaying problems or cupping issues just yet. The cars has 25K miles and new tires. The only suspension problem I have experienced is some harshness over small bumps or dips, and mega harshness over anything thata resembles a real pot hot or a real bump. It's as if it has no suspension, particularly on the rear end. Anyone else?
  • Hi azgrand, talked today to the partsman at my Hyundai Dealership about Monroe having a fit all, one P/N 72281 shock/strut, supposed to fit Sonata and Azera. He looked up all the numbers for the 2007 models Sonata and Azera and said no way can the Monroe work on the 4 or 6 cylinder Sonata since they each have their own shock/strut part numbers and he said the Azera has a different shock/strut part number.

I went to the Hyundai on line repair manual and pulled up the shock specs for both cars and found the overall size may be the same but the damping force, expansion and compression is different for both cars. The specifications are listed under suspension, general, specifications if anyone is interested.

It would be nice if trispeed would let us how he made out so we can put this thread to bed.
    "It would be nice if trispeed would let us how he made out so we can put this thread to bed."

That it would. :cry:
  • This is getting to be as big a mystery as Toyota has with its throttle problems. :confuse:
  • Hi trispeed, we all wished you luck, but now we wish you would give us a update on your Monroe shock/stut replacement. Its been over a week and if it takes that long to install and check out the Monroes I don't know if I would want them if I did need replacements. Give us a break and let us know how its going. :confuse:
  • 101649101649 Posts: 192
    Maybe he got them installed and went for a hi speed test drive.....lost control and went off the road...never to be heard from again....
  • I notice he had made a total of one post on the forum. We may never hear from him again. Anyone else want to be a guinea pig? :shades:
  • You may be right azgrand. At least other users of the forum share information and try to help each other with mods and how to do it information.

Heck I turn 75 this month, don't know if I'll ever get to hear from him. ;)
  • Now I got it, trispeed works for Toyota and don't know how to answer. :) :)