Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera Front End Problems

Comments

• Hey tinydog1, how about sharing the Monroe part number for the azera shocks with the rest of us ? Even though mine seems to be fine now with the new struts and strut mounts I would like a little stiffer ride especially if the handling is improved and it seems to be a relatively small price to pay.Thanks
  • @tinydog1,

Thanks for your report! I'm pleased to hear that you feel that the ride has improved. I'm very very very tempted to get mine changed this summer!

Can you PLEASE keep us updated on how the ride changes over the next 1-2 weeks. If the Monroe claims are true, this might be a very cheap investment for our Azeras!
  • Front struts Monroe part # 72281, rear 5614. They also make the strut mounts front # 905983, rear # 905984. Will keep you posted.
  • Thanks. excellent report - please do let us know about the rears and your impressions as you get to drive it a little more. Sounds like a good improvement so far.
  • tonycdtonycd Posts: 223
    I got the Altimax HP's about 3,000 miles ago, and I like 'em. Tire Rack is the way to go on these. Just over $100 a tire, plus whatever the local installer charges -- and if you're a non-enthusiast of Biggest Box in Retailing like I am, you get the added pleasure of not giving them your money.
  • Hi tonycd, Didn't find Tire Rack as the way to go for my Altimax HP's. Got mine from Treadepot.com for $100 per tire minus $25 coupon,total $375 vs Tire Rack at $110 per tire, total $440. Difference paid for shipping. Really enjoy not paying the tax from a local dealer which is 9.75%. Hope to get them installed this coming week.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    edited March 2010
    I'm not crying, I paid $109 per tire and shipping was just under $41, thru Tire Rack. I paid $15 per tire to get them mounted, balanced & installed at a local gas station, for a grand total of $536.90.

I've been enjoying the ride on them ever since. Good luck with yours. :shades:
  • Hi TinyDog,

Any updates on this. I am considering doing something like this or getting rid of the car in the next month.

Let us know.

Thanks
    rpm
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Posts: 83
    So far so good. The ride has improved greatly, no nosedive when I have had to brake hard. The ride firmed up without harshness. I ordered the rear shocks today. Front and rear are now available at O'Rilleys.com.
  • Great to hear Tinydog1! Now the question is how long will the improved ride quality last? Some forum members in the past have complained that the ride quality quickly degraded after a few hundred or so miles after replacing their front struts with the factory hyundai struts. As an 07 owner whose only complaint is the harsh ride I want to believe there is a fix for it. Please keep us posted in the coming weeks.
  • shagnatshagnat Posts: 78
    I'd love to hear a report 5-7 K miles later. Don't know if this post will die before then, but sure would like to hear about it.

Like the above poster, I have a harsh ride, not soft or mushy at all. Every stinking expansion joint on the interstates vibrates through the steering wheel and front seat.

It's sooooo disappointing to have this buck-board still ride in a $33K car!!
  • Today I found out KYB makes a shock/strut that should fit the Azera. We all know that Monroe has the 72281 front and 5614 rear that fit the Azera and tinydog1 will vouch on that. I found that Rockauto lists KYB 341476 front and 349060 rear and the Monroe 72281 front and 5614 rear for the Sonata SE. But they don't list the KYBs for the Azera , got me confused? Just some information I found for those who are having suspension problems. I have 34K on my 08 and 3200 on my General Altimax HPs which made a world of difference compared to the Michelins that came with the car. so far no complains about the suspension. :confuse:
    I was on KYB's site and they don't show anything for the Azera as of yet.

However, if you go to RockAuto.com...they show the Monroe front strut (72281) and rear shock absorber (5614) both from the Monroe Sensa-Trac line. Prices aren't bad either...you would be able to get both front and both rears for a tad more than $200 w/s&h. I just wonder how much a shop would charge to install them.

With my Azera getting close to the 85K mile mark, I am considering upgrading the OEM struts/shocks. I have to replace my ball joint on the passenger side as well as the upper control arm on the driver's side (passenger side was done around 70K miles.

Still loving my ride on the Altimax HP's. Wife loves it too...asked if I could get the same tires for her Audi A6 (which is riding on ContiTouring tires now).
  • I replaced mine with Pirelli P-Zero Nero's. I would have sworn the ride was better, but as I put more miles on them the same lofty bouncy ride has re-appeared :cry: . I must have been hopeful and convinced myself that it was going to solve the issue. That said, the car does drive better and respond better with the pirelli's vs. michillin (at least in my opinion). Wet weather handling certainly seems better (but that could be due to differences in remaining tread life).

On another note I have finally taken my car into the shop for the suspension issues, I made several appointments and actually missed every single one (been really busy). I told them about my squeaking and bouncy ride with clunks, and a whining noise from the engine. Lets see if they charge me the $98 fee to look at it (claiming its not warranty work! - I hate dealerships!!!! :mad: ) I am printing up the TSB's when I speak to them regarding the suspension because I have a feeling they are going to say there is nothing wrong. I will try to post my results when I find out. Any further advice is appreciated regarding how to deal with the dealer if they claim there is nothing wrong. :confuse:
  • So brought the car in... the whining noise is covered under warranty and they are replacing a pulley (if I remember correctly).

As for the suspension they told me they are replacing a bushing (or mount - not sure which one as the phone convo was fast). I did ask them about the TSB's for the suspension and was told that does not apply to me. My question is why would the TSB's not apply to me?
  • shagnatshagnat Posts: 78
    I believe there is a crappy suspension in this car and nothing will really "fix it" except a totaly redesign of the suspension.
    I have an '08 which supposedly as the most updated suspension (I'm told) and it rides like crap.
    I also have an '03 Highlander which rides like a Cadillac or a Lincoln Town Car of yester-year.
    My wife drove my Azera for the first time a few weeks ago and told me I had to take the car to the dealer right away. I asked why and she replied, "that car rides horribly, some is wrong."
    Now, my wife knows as much about a car as my 11 y/o..... probably less, but, point being if someone like my wife notices a crappy suspension, then it has a crappy suspension.
    Yes, I changed tires too ot the Conti Extreme DWS. Great tires but didn't do squat for the ride except increase handling a bit.
    I'll never buy another Hyundai unless I can test drive it for a couple of days. Being as Hyundai is Hyundai, I don't see that happening. I'll spend the extra few hundred $$ and buy me another Toyota.
  • vikeavikea Posts: 7
    hello i am a new member. i own hyundai grandeur 3.3 2006 the european model for azera. i read your posts and sadly some of it is happening to me too. but maybe not so dramatic as some of you describe it. i dont have any clunking o noise(may be on very big bumps, at least it does better then my previos 2007 passat(piese of crap and dangerous car)) but yes on bumpy roads it does get a bit unstable.
    i saw also some numbers of shocks here something like ...40, ...41 or ...640. i looked at mines and the last numbers were ...130, and made by Sachs ( which i know is one of the best shock manufacturers). i own also a 2006 sonata which also has Sachs shocks, dont know the numbers, but it rides very well though have a little "clunk". so i decided that not the shocks a the problem but the spring which are too soft and killing the shocks. i replaced them with eibach springs which lowered the car by 3 cm(dont know how many inches). and now it rides a lot better it does not roll a bit. its super stable at big speeds. i didnt tested it on bad roads yet but when i will do i will post some more of course if someone is intrested. but the car is much stiffer now so its lost some of its comfort .other then that the car is realy great.
  • jamazerajamazera Posts: 149
    allmet: were the suspension parts you replaced just worn out??? rough roads up there in DC area...Are you going with the Monroe aftermarkets??? I had to change my Edmunds account ...used to be101649 as my screen name.now jamazera..I was having problems with the pages timing out and finally I couldn't log in....maybe Edmunds upgraded or changed the site...I'm still riding on the OEM Michelins @ 30K good tread wear, but a lot of noise...will justt have to wait until they wear out to get the Altimax's...
    Are you taking about the upper control arm? Yes, it was worn out and the one on the driver's side is the same way now. I also found out that one of my ball joints needs to be replaced as well. The roads here in the DC metro area are terrible as they are doing all sorts of construction to install a street trolley system and of course, my commute takes me along those very roads they have torn up.

When I am ready to change my shocks, I will more than likely go with the Monroe aftermarkets for sure, but I really am not having any issues with the shocks other than the back end bottoming out over big speed bumps when I have stuff in the trunk or all my kids in the back seats.
  • newguy6newguy6 Posts: 34
    I have an 07 with all of the noise problems everyone else is talking about. After four trips to the dealer they finally put in new "strut Mounts". It made a world of difference....... for about three months. It's just as bad as ever. I really don't think that there is a fix, its just a terrible suspension. Will the '11 be any better?