Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Clutch Issues

Comments

• ibuck85,

My slave and master were fine... it was the wrong diagnosis.
    Turned out that I had the mexican-made LUK clutch in my truck ... several of the pressure plate fingers were bent out of shape and all the springs had disintergrated into small pieces.
    I had them replace it with the alternative Japanese-made clutch by ASIN.
    It's a completely different design.
    I'm happy to report it feels great.
    I had this covered under the powertrain warranty @ 52k miles.
    The clutch disc had very little wear ... it's a shoddy parts problem & we're not the only ones who have been through this.
    Document everything & don't take no for an answer!
    Good luck!
  • jbuck85jbuck85 Posts: 4
    What gets me going about this whole thing is that these mechanics know what a clutch is to feel like. I have driven a manual vehicle ever since I got my license, and have never driven one that had a clutch as unresponsive as this clutch. Which is bad, because every other vehicle I owned had over 100k miles on it. This is my first brand new vehicle and at 28k miles I hate driving it because the clutch is so spongy and I can never get a smooth shift because it feels as if the "spot" changes depending on the day. When you take it to the dealership I do not understand how the mechanic's can drive it and tell you it feels great when it clearly does not feel great. All I want is a clutch that feels like it should in a new vehicle. I do not feel that is asking for much considering the price we pay for the Tacoma's. Just getting my little rant in, that's all.
  • I know how you feel. I just picked my truck up from the dealership after they've had it for 3 weeks. They said they couldn't find what was going on, and apparently when they called Toyota to find out what to do they were told my trucks being repurchased under the lemon law, which it is. Let's hope it happens soon! This is had been the worse experience ever. Ever. I never want to purchase a brand new vehicle again. And i agree. All i've driven since i got my license was a standard. This was by far the worse clutch ever. My truck has 30,000 miles, and it's on it's 3rd clutch and more repairs.
  • I feel for you guys who are still fighting toyota to resolve these issues ... all I can say is ... get the ASIN clutch installed ... the LUK from Mexico is JUNK!
    I would be interested to hear if anyone has had an ASIN clutch fail yet.
    Best of luck!
    Whenever I take my truck in to the dealership, either they tell me that they cannot feel what I am describing in the clutch, or they just tell me that I burned my clutch up. My truck is just about to go in for the 30k mile check up. If I have them change the trans fluid do you think that possibly they will be able to see metal shavings or debri from the pressure plate (springs or whatever) in the fluid itself and determine it to be faulty? Or would I just be wasting my money?
  • I'm pretty sure it's a dry clutch system ... the clutch sits between the flywheel and the transmission. Gaining access to the clutch requires dropping both front & rear drive shafts and dropping the transmission.... it's a big job if they won't cover it.
    When my springs completely failed, I could hear the faint sound of small metal particles being thrown around inside the clutch housing when I depressed/released the clutch pedal. It was most noticeable when going into 1st gear from stand-still.
    With the window down and no road noise it was clearly audiable.
    The early signs of problems were sticky shifting, and occasional complete lock-out of any gear... (stuck in neutral) This happened several times whilst driving, usually when I was changing down from 5th or 4th, exiting the highway. Sometimes I could get back into gear by repeatedly depressing the clutch, but twice I had to be towed home. One of those tows loosened up whatever was jammed.
    Based on the bent fingers I saw on the old clutch, I'm assuming the clutch fork could not engage/disengage the fingers on the pressure plate properly.
    Hope that helps.
  • I've had all the same problems you all have had. :/ They just finished they're final apraisal of the truck, i'll hear back from them tomorrow about the buy back. it's a great truck if you like to deal with problems. I won't buy another. Make sure you get intouch with your states lemon law offices. Especially if Toyota's already had to work on your truck, and is refusing to cover any more of it by warranty. I had to pay out of pocket for some of the crap. ... LIke clutch number 3, and some repairs once the springs and crap started going out.
  • Thanks runningboy150 ... So far all my mechanical issues have been repaired under warranty ... My only remaining issues are as follows:
    * Heavy frame corrosion everywhere ... I can't believe how much rust there is under there, it started rusting the first winter, and now after 5 winters it looks terrible.
    * The AC kicks in whenever I put the cabin heat on the defrost setting ... which is really annoying on a long winter drive ... it really drops my fuel consumption.
    Any threads on this?
    I have approx 55K on the truck.
  • chiledogchiledog Posts: 6
    > "The AC kicks in whenever I put the cabin heat on the defrost setting"
    As with most cars, it's designed to do that. The compressor dehumidifies the air for more effective defogging. Perhaps someone can post a fix describing which harness & conductor you need to wire a defeat switch into.
    Ya I hear ya about dealing with the problems. That's what I keep fighting. I like the truck, but then there's the problems with them. Today I started noticing another clutch sound... I heard it again while in a drive thru. When I push the clutch in, about half way it has a popping sound and I always thought it was just the pedal. But this time when I was at the drive thru I heard it popping on the outside too. Anyone else have this same deal?
  • Yes. But if you take it to the dealer make sure that you have them listen to it BEFORE you leave. Seriously. MAKE SURE of that. I've wasted so much time, gas, money, effort, frustration at my toyota dealership it's not even funny. But Toyota's ended up paying for it in rental car fees. Only cause I demand what I want. Anything they do under warranty you can get a rental. Make sure you document everything, and after the 3rd repair to the clutch/transmission call your states lemon law (governors office) office and file a complaint. This way if anything happens again between 100,000 miles and now with the clutch it's still covered under the lemon law (atleast in Georgia). Toyota is in the final stages of buying my tacoma back from me now. I won't buy another manual EVER again. Unless it was in a small car....maybe.....Please let me know if you have questions. And be firm with the dealership. Even though it's the service dept, make them give you what you are asking for. Make them listen to the noise, cause i can GUARNTEE that they will call you to come pick it up at the end of the day and say they couldn't hear it. Just ask them to grab a technician and walk out ot the truck with you....
  • Just wanted to post some info on my 98 Tacoma; it has never had any clutch issues;although the trans has always had an issue w/ reverse gear not always going in on first try. After 120,000 miles, I decided to yank out the trans to replace the clutch;(that is another story unto itself,and I do not recommend anyone try doing this in their home garage unless they have a lot of skill at heavy duty R&R work) this solely due to my being out of work for a few weeks and having the time to plan ahead for keeping this work vehicle going. I found the pressure plate to have normal wear;all fingers had slightly worn grooves due to being pressed by the throw out bearing.The T.O. brg. still spun around smoothly. If anyone wants to try to do their clutch,remember there are two retainer spirngs; one that holds the TO brg to the fork,all clutch kits come with this.The other is a special Toyota dealer only spring that holds the fork to the balljoint inside the bellhousing. The Toyota people will not sell this second spring separately;they want to sell you the fork and spring together for around $60. I did not bend over for that one,so had to take my chances with the old spring;it did not have the spring tension I would have liked,and when I start the truck up this wkend,hopefully it will stay on.The clutch disc itself had about about 1/16th inch to 1/8th inch of lining left on it. So I figure the way that I had always babied the clutch,it may have lasted another 5 to 10,000 miles before grinding away at the flywheel. The pilot bearing inside the flywheel also spun around smoothly,but I replaced it with a special pilot bearing puller. All in all, the original equipt. clutch on this Tacoma did what it was supposed to do; it is stamped LUK. Maybe the 4x4 trucks have a different design LUK,and that maybe why they are failing. My only concern is the $150 Sachs clutch kit that I used; it is stamped made in Korea,and I may learn my lesson the hard way.I keep telling myself I should have spent another $100 and got one made in the USA. The O'Reilly auto parts people give a lifetime warranty on their Korean clutch.But that is not helpful since I would have to R&R the trans again;which is a huge job. Keeping my fingers crossed. Btw,the reason Toyota makes this a difficult job is that they did not design a removeable crossmember at the rear tranny mount. It is permanently welded to the chassis !!! So there is a lot of heavy manuvering to get that tranny in or out with that crossmember being in the way. What a joke...
  • bmordcbmordc Posts: 1
    Just had clutch replaced under warranty at 10,000 miles on my 2010 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 4 cyl, 4wd SR5. Less than 20 miles towing 28 ton log splitter, rare light hauling (mulch, 1/2 load of fire wood). Been driving a standard for 35 years. When truck was 1 month old I pulled a splitter up a tiny grade, 20 feet, in my neighbors yard and smelled the clutch. Called dealer immediately "Oh, that's a protective coating on the new clutch that will wear off in 100 miles". OK. Any time I had to give vehicle a little gas to get going from a stop on a grade or over snow it smelled. Took it in to dealer at 5000 miles. "Can't reproduce problem". OK. At 10,000 miles started "chirping" when in gear and even when in neutral with clutch engaged. Took it in. "Looks like your throw-out bearing is shot". They replaced the bearing, assembly and entire clutch. Be on the look out for this problem!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Hmmm..

15,000 miles/year on the 1991 and now only 9,000 miles/year on the 2006.

New driver, teenaged driver, added to the 2006 "mix"...??
  • moved to a shorter commute.
    "..The compressor dehumidifies the air for more effective defogging..."

Urban legend, or "old wives tale", take your pick.

The efficiency of the "compressor" for dehumidifying the fresh inlet airflow is STRICKLY a function of local climatic conditions. Under the "worse" climatic conditions the "compressor" will even become a detrimental effect which leads to subsequent windshield fogging.

The "compressor" can only chill the incoming airflow to about 35F, and that ONLY with an extremely low A/C blower speed. In the wintertime the atmosphere is generally already so cold that the "compressor" will have no positive effect whatsoever.

And even if dehumidification is effective what do you suppose happens to the thin layer of condensate LEFT on the A/C evaporator once the compressor is turned off when you "exit" the defrost/defog/demist mode.

It evaporates into the cabin airstream and increases the liklihood of a return bought of windshield fogging.

In the olden days I simply unplugged the A/C compressor clutch throughout the winter period. My '01 RX300 came with a C-best option, two actually, that I had the dealer set so I could disable the A/C compressor and the A/C defrost/defog/demist "link" indefinitely simply by turning it off once.

I use the A/C for cooling ONLY and use HEAT for defrost/defog/demist functionality.

Our '92 LS400's climate control is modified internally to call for FULL HEAT when, wheneevr, it is switched into defrost/defog/demist mode.
    "..shorter commute.."

But with more clutch use, wear and tear...??
    "..the AC kicks in..."

If your primary interest is FE then go to Home depot and buy/install a manual water flow shutoff valve so you can disable the "climate controls" reheat/remix mode throughout the summer, A/C cooling, period. Come fall you can unplug the A/C compressor clutch circuit and turn the valve on.
  • hey, this is the EXACT same problem I had with my 2008. I've posted many times in the past year+, I finally got the truck repurchased from Toyota under the Georgia Lemon Law. My suggestion to you is call your state lemon law (google) and get you name into the computer, and familiarize yourself with the law. It's a great great great asset to use, and when it happens again (i'm assuming it will) tell your dealer that you've been talking with your states govenors office and lemon law people. it's a great backing. if you have questions please, please, please let me know! Runningboy150@aol.com. And make sure you document EVERYTHING, Get EVERYTHING in writing. Everytime you take your truck in and smell something but they just tell you it'll ware off, make sure it says that on the invoice. After 4 times (atleast in GA) of taking your vehicle in for the same problem and it's not fixed you apply for the lemon law, and Toyota either had to give you a brand new vehicle, OR repurchase the vehicle from you, and most likely (happened in my case) assuming low to medium mileage you'll make money off the truck.
  • valhivalhi Posts: 1
    Hello, I have 2010 tacoma which I bought brand new. I am having clutch issue, it makes ticking sound, only in first gear or when you release clutch very slowly. I took it to a dealer but they could not fix the problem. And finally the answer I get from them that this is a toyota's problems and there will be a recall. Is there anyone else having the same issue? And what can i do?
  • I have the same issue with the clutch. I called the dealer mechanic and he told me it was maybe the leaf springs (!), but I told him it felt like the pedal. I'm taking it in for the carpet recall soon and I'll have them look at the clutch. It started at about 6,000 miles. I'll keep you posted.
  • i have an 08 tacoma crew cab 4x4. and i would agree. check your local lemon laws. mine has 66,000 miles now and ive been through 3 clutches and 4 throw out bearings. ive been throuhg all the dealerships around western nc and they have all tried to fix it and im still fighting it. unfortunetly i didnt know of the nc lemon laws until i was already over the mileage limits. now i am stuck with it. so have fun listening to all the squealing chirping and grinding i know i am. hahaha
  • Jmills1984 - If you have proof that your truck started having issues before the warranty was expired, you SHOULD still be able to apply for the lemon law. Have you called your state's Lemon Law office? My suggestion to you is to make copies of all your reciepts, and ANY proof that you have where you took the truck to the dealer and they 'addressed the issue' but didn't actually perform work. If you have all the documentation they should still be able to help. Please feel free to email me! I really like helping out with all of this, and am VERY educated on it all. Runningboy150@aol.com
    edited November 2010
    And Toyota's defense will be that you had the 4WD system engaged too often on tractive surfaces and you will not be able to prove otherwise. Throw-out bearings are replaced along with clutch disc as a matter of standard procedure (while you're in there, etc.) so other than the extra one they may not have failed.
  • That 'defense' from toyota never came up. The only thing they told me was that if they found a lot of GA Clay in the under carriage and clutch assy they wouldn't be able to do anything. Toyota already repurchased my truck from me, and I was over the warrantied mileage as well. The guy from Toyota Corp who came to finialize the deal, and give me my check said that he's still taking trucks from the 1996 model series that never recieved recall notices. They're filed under the lemon law for rust issues. So it's really not to late. You just have to be willing to do a lot of work, and deal with more BS. But Toyota paid the truck off, and I got $7500.00 back for work that I put into the truck and intrest that I paid from Jan 08 until April 2010.
  • reuserreuser Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
    I just had my 2010 Tacoma access cab manual 4wd into the dealer on the floor mat recall thing, and told them about two other things I've noticed. I've heard a clicking sound at the top of the clutch pedal when I'm depressing it or letting it out, and there is also a clicking sound in the heater blower at low fan speed. They reproduced both and replaced the clutch pedal assembly and will replace the blower motor in the heater. I will have made three long trips to the dealer and spent many hours waiting for repairs, all for stuff that is THEIR problem on a truck with less than 12,000 miles!!!!!
  • mr62mr62 Posts: 1
    I've been waiting 6 weeks for them to get the parts to fix the blower motor on the heater of a 2010 Toyota Tacoma. I received a message from Toyota saying they "expect" the parts to be shipped to their parts depot the end of next week ( 4 Feb 2011). They've been telling me "next week" since 20 December 2010. I waited two months for them to fix the floor mat problem due to lack of parts as well. I seriously doubt I'll ever even consider buying another Toyota
  • Hi, I was just wondering if you have contacted Toyota Corporation and expressed concerns of a recall with the Tacomas? I have a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 and 1/25/2010 the clutch assembly was replaced along with the flywheel being re surfaced. Toyota covered this under warranty. I put it in the service dept for repairs yesterday 3/1/2011 they called me that afternoon and told me the clutch, throw out bearing and flywheel all were once again needing to be replaced, only this time warranty would not cover it. My cost is $1,300.00. My concern is that it will happen again and again. I have read on this forum where over and over this is happening to Tacoma owners but if you call Toyota Corp they will tell you that there have been no other reports with this problem from consumers. The only way they can research a recall is if consumers call in. I have an active case number with this concern and am hoping that they will cover my repairs because of defect. If you have not called them please do so they can see that there are other owners having these issues. The number is 1-800-331-4331.
    Thank you,
    Belinda
  • Hi, I was just wondering if you have contacted Toyota Corporation and expressed concerns of a recall with the Tacomas? I have a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 and 1/25/2010 the clutch assembly was replaced along with the flywheel being resurfaced. Toyota covered this under warranty. I put it in the service dept for repairs yesturday 3/1/2011 they called me that afternoon and told me the clutch, throwout bearing and flywheel all were once again needing to be replaced, only this time warranty would not cover it. My cost is $1,300.00. My concern is that it will happen again and again. I have read on this forum where over and over this is happening to Tacoma owners but if you call Toyota Corp they will tell you that there have been no other reports with this problem from consumers. The only way they can research a recall is if consumers call in. I have an active case number with this concern and am hoping that they will cover my repairs because of defect. If you have not called them please do so they can see that there are other owners having these issues. The number is 1-800-331-4331.
    Thank you,
    Belinda
  • Hi, I was just wondering if you have contacted Toyota Corporation and expressed concerns of a recall with the Tacomas? I have a 2008 Tacoma 4X4 and 1/25/2010 the clutch assembly was replaced along with the flywheel being resurfaced. Toyota covered this under warranty. I put it in the service dept for repairs yesturday 3/1/2011 they called me that afternoon and told me the clutch, throwout bearing and flywheel all were once again needing to be replaced, only this time warranty would not cover it. My cost is $1,300.00. My concern is that it will happen again and again. I have read on this forum where over and over this is happening to Tacoma owners but if you call Toyota Corp they will tell you that there have been no other reports with this problem from consumers. The only way they can research a recall is if consumers call in. I have an active case number with this concern and am hoping that they will cover my repairs because of defect. If you have not called them please do so they can see that there are other owners having these issues. The number is 1-800-331-4331.
    Thank you,
    Belinda