Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Clutch Issues

1235»

Comments

• Actually unskinator, you may already have a perfectly good AISIN clutch in yours. There is no way to tell without taking it apart and looking for the manufacturer's stamp.
  • Is actually a six speed. But I've been thinking and I'm glad that it's messed up, cause this gives me the perfect motive to get a dual friction clutch...lol, the gf is going to be very happy with the buying this part. Lol
  • After reading several of these complaints about being difficult or impossible to get in gear if clutch appears to be working correctly check the detent springs in the side of the tranny. I've fixed several that were hard to get in gear as somehow the springs would bind making it difficult to get in gear or someone had stretched the springs trying to get more detent ??
  • kimmyjo7kimmyjo7 Posts: 1
    for the past few months my 2003 toyota tacoma has had a strange sound every once in a while that sounded like a tin can full of coins being tossed around in the engine. finally took it in to the toyota dealer today and discovered a broken clutch spring assembly. going to cost about 1050$ to fix, they have to take out the transmission to get to it. does this price sound about right? ive already given them the go ahead for the repair but im still curious.
    also- ive driven with a clutch my entire life, i know im not that hard on it. the mechanic said that he wasnt sure what caused this. he said the clutch "pad" looked great, which i guess would be more messed up if I were bad at using a clutch?? can anyone tell me how this may have happened so I dont repeat. thx!

• Sounds about right.
  • chiledogchiledog Posts: 6
    You got the defective LUK clutch. Make sure they install an AISIN as replacement, or it will just happen again. It's not your driving.
    > "the mechanic said that he wasnt sure what caused this."
    That's what he's paid to say about these clutches.
  • jollybilljollybill Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, 4 cylinder, rear wheel drive 5 speed manual transmission. Last year I had my Tacoma at the dealers for the floor mat recall. When I went to start the truck, the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. Truck wouldn't move. Luckily being at the dealer, I left it with the dealer. Had 46,793 miles on it at the time so they repaired it under warranty and according to my invoice: used 2.3 Tech hours and replaced clutch cover assy and throw out bearing.
    Now 3 days ago and about exactly 12 months and 10,000 miles later, I went to drive the truck. Pushed the clutch pedal in and it stuck to the floor and would not return by itself. Truck would not move. Was not at home so had to have the truck towed to a local repair shop. Called the dealer who did the work last year and now being out of warrany, they said it wasn't covered. I did call National Toyota and got a case number started.
    I am 75 years old and not new to driving vehicles with manual transmissions. All but 4 of the vehicles I have ever owned had manual transmissions and I have never replaced a clutch or throw out bearing. I do not abuse the clutch.
    Any thoughts?
  • unskinatorunskinator Posts: 9
    well i hope they installed u a AISIN clutch as a replacement. The mexican LUK has a very bad rap. Price qouted is OK for the work involved. good luck with new one. My 05 V6 6speed on the stick is still going good with 75000 miles on it so far.
  • jollybilljollybill Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    I'm the owner of the Tacoma with the stuck clutch pedal as detailed above in message #90.
    I got the truck fixed at my local garage mechanic. He diagnosed the problem as the clutch master cylinder. He over nighted a replacement and got it fixed the next day.
    Total cost was about $300.00 which inclded $122.00 for the new master cylinder, 2 hours labor at $78.00 per hour, brake fluids and taxes. Was out of warranty and dealer would have charged me at least that much and I didn't have to have the truck towed at about $100.00 to the dealer where I bought the truck. My local mechanic thought that it was odd that the MC failed that quick.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Jolly
  • skb1323skb1323 Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2007 tacoma, and, I hate to confess this, but I kill it with the clutch quite frequently. I have been driving standards for many years now (I've never owned an automatic!) and I have never had this problem before. I actually got the truck from my dad who was getting rid of it to get an automatic (he told me his hip was giving him trouble and he was having problems getting his foot on/off the clutch). I wonder after driving it, if maybe it was less to do with his hip and more to do with the clutch. After checking out the posts here, I see there seem to be a few issues with the clutch. Do you suppose my problem is an early indication of something to come or is there some adjustment I can make that may solve this problem. I'm rather tired of looking like an idiot at traffic lights!!!!
  • 98toyo4xowner98toyo4xowner Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I have a 98 ex cab 4x4 Last year I had to replace my clutch slave cylinder my pedal was going to the floor all by itself and staying there until I manually pulled it up. After replacement of slave problem was un changed so the master was replaced after which the problem was better but never resolved to my expectation. My clutch / pedal was never the same . about 6 months later i was hearing a lot of squealing noise every time i started to compress the clutch pedal. Now i get the clutch, pressure plate and all that replaced. ( had a clutch kit put in it) the old clutch wasn't even worn out yet it still had a lot of life left. yet every person /place that listened to it diagnosed it the same. At time of clutch replacement my slave cylinder was again replaced the other one was shot . It hadn't been barely 6 months old. Needless to say the clutch pedal still isn't right i took it into a shop they bled the clutch said there was no air in the lines at all. The pedal sill goes down by itself only now it just goes a little ways or it doesn't come back up all the way. Also a new problem of the shifter getting stuck in neutral or in a gear and doesn't want to go into 2nd gear very easy.The clutch wont disengage or at times engage until i shut off engine, or kill it, then start it back up. then it will shift into gear.. WTF is going on here anyone have a clue?
    I'd like to add that I hadn't put 20000 on my truck I actually got the receipts with the truck of the clutch being replaced just before i bought it. 2 clutches 2 slaves and master cylinders in 20000 miles and it still doesn't work right . This is rediculouse!
  • I have a 2006 Tacoma as well and had the same exact issue. Only when Toyota replaced the clutch, it started slipping at approximately 28k - 29k and I was so disgusted and fed up with the service by Toyota that I brought it to my friend's garage who used to work for Toyota and knows them like the back of his hand. When he took the clutch apart to replace it, it was soaked in oil. I had him do the replacement and tried working with Toyota but they wont give me the time of day because I didn't go back to the dealer. Now, 16 mths and another 16k miles (approx.) later.....Slipping again. The clutch was soaked in oil again. There has to be an issue here with the clutch I'm sure. I've driven standards all my life and my mechanic knows his stuff and he was even puzzled when I recently brought it back to him with the clutch slipping again. The truck is an '06 with only 53k miles and I am now on the 4th clutch. The last 2 clutches were like brand new when replaced but had to be replaced because they were SOAKED in oil.
  • I think you have on the engine the rear main bearing leak. That would leak straight to the clutch. Have it replaced regardless. My 05 V6 with 6 speed manual and close to 80000 miles is still on its original clutch
    h with no problem.
1235»