Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic LX or EX?

jasonc3jasonc3 Posts: 15
edited March 16 in Honda
Hello everyone, i'm close to buying a honda civic 2007 and i'm debating over the LX or EX. The EX costs about $1800 more and for me it's a tough decision. The main things that the EX has over the LX are these:

1. Better sound system - I'll be bringing a cd of mine to test for the difference, but if i get the LX, i'll probably put some of the money i save into a nice system, assuming that I can find fitted parts for the installation. I checked Crutchfield, and there is no listing for the 2007 Civic on the website when you go to find what fits your car.

2. 4 wheel disc brakes - I'm not much of a speed racer, so i think the LX brakes should be fine for me.

3. Alloy Wheels - I do like the way the EX rims look over the LX ones, but is it worth the extra money...? that's a tough one...

4. Moonroof - It's nice, but i had a moonroof on my old car and never really used it, half the time i forgot it was there.

5. Steering wheel mounted audio controls - Once i get my Civic, i'm pretty sure i'll be replacing the radio w/ an Alpine, which comes w/ a remote control, so for me, this doesn't count for much.

6. Remote trunk release - This is pretty handy, but it's just a small thing...

So, overall, it's a tough call for me, do i just take the easy way out and get teh EX? or do i get the LX and use the money i save to get a nice sound system, and/or depending on how much i spend on the sound system, maybe even get new rims and tires? I'd love to hear from anyone who has bought a 2007 Civic, how you made your decision, or even from people like me, who are about to buy, and have thought about this choice....Thanks for any replies!

Jason

Comments

• I was gonna get an LX but they had an EX in stock with the options I wanted, so I ended up getting an EX. The only difference in sound system is the 6 speakers instead of 4 speakers otherwise the power are the same (160 watts). If you plan on upgrading the head unit to something with more power, it will improve the sound drastically. I wouldn't upgrade to the EX just because of the sound system or the moonroof (I don't like them anyway). The alloy wheels are about 400 each (maybe 200 each after market) so it's worth the extra 1800. The LX has front disk brakes and rear drum breaks, you can easily switch the rear drum breaks to disk brakes at 60,000 miles maintenance. I would guess it would be around 800 to do the switch. IMO, the alloy wheels are the only good reason for EX unless you also want a navigation system too.

You also didn't include in your list the EX has 60/40 split back seats with cupholders while the LX backseat don't have cupholders and fold down all at once. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.

The 2007 LX now has a music input/mp3 input jack as well.

I would go for the LX if you don't really care about alloy wheels and disc brakes.
  • jasonc3jasonc3 Posts: 15
    Hmm...thanks for the info, I think i'll go with the EX, factoring in the cost of rims, installing them, and time that i'd be without the car (probably i'd have to lose the car for a day while it would be worked on, and rent a car for that day). I don't like the LX rims at all, and i'd have to change them for sure, the standard EX rims look decent to me. Plus, the split back seat is nice to have, as well as the cup holders....anyhow, thanks for the reply! Now i have to decide between stick or automatic...=)
  • Not quite accurate. EX has 7 speakers with a Subwoofer and its 350 Watts not 160. And I love the moonroof.
  • ttttvlttttvl Posts: 7
    When I registered my 2007 Civic EX Sedan Auto NO NAV through Honda website https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com with my VIN. It listed my vehical with Audio system as:

Audio Systems:
    160-Watt AM/FM/XM Ready®/CD Audio System with 6 Speakers
    MP3/Windows Media® Audio (WMA) Playback Capability
    MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack
    CD Text Display Capability
    Speed-Sensitive Volume Control (SVC)

I think the 7 speakers with a Subwoofer and its 350 Watts only available on EX Coupe, but not EX Sedan. Funny that Coupe and Sedan both cost the same amount.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    correct the ex coupe and si coupe (and sedan now i guess) all get the 350 watt w/sub. The ex sedan does not. it has the six speaker 160 watt. the lx has four. And the lx does not come with rims, just hubcaps, but same tire size.
  • You've probably already made your purchase, and frankly you can't go wrong... I bought a '07 black LX coupe in Oct. and love it. Bought it for the economy but get as many looks and as with an RX7 and a Mercedes E I had before...

Another small thing that I found after purchase of the LX... The intermittent wiper setting on the EX,Si is adjustable, on the LX it is not... (that's right one speed!) Somehow, it wipes a little too fast or too slow and there is nothing you can do about it. Don't get it. Petty, I know.

Anyway, I love the car!

I have a question for anyone who can help. I am looking at
    after market wheels for my Civic and can't decide whether to go with 17s or 18s... Does anyone have an '06 or '07 with after market wheels? Pics?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Have a look at the Civic Tires and Wheels discussion. You might find something helpful there, and it's a great place for your questions. :)
  • Will do. Thanks!
  • I'm also trying to pick between and LX and EX. So the EX Sedan doesn't have the 350 watt system correct? I just received a quote of $18,953 including destination for an EX...kind of disappointing since I was considering an Accord SE Auto sedan a couple of weeks ago and it was only $1,000 more. Any additional input? I'm in Oregon, so the wiper function would suck on the LX.
  • Hey, it's me again... I just drove 300 miles in torential rain to mist and I had become accustomed to the wiper adjustments. I bought my LX for 18,300, out the door... The "mist" setting is easy to use at will. It becomes second nature in a short period of time. As far as the stereo, it is a six speaker system with an amazing amount of bass without a woofer. Keep in mind that I had a 300 E with a Becker system that does not compair. My Jeep has an Infinity system that can't keep up. If the Accord has a six cylinder for only $1000 more, run with it. If not, 30 mpg city and 40 hwy is hard ot beat, shy of hybrid...
  • i had a 06 Civic and now i have a 07 Civic .. other one got messd up pretty bad after gettin rear'd by a Mercedes CL or w.e its calld .. but id have gone with the Civic LX .. espically since u can buy up aftermarket parts and fix the ride up to look better than the Ex ..
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I'd bet money that the Accord SE he is talking about was the 4-cylinder version. Those can be had for around $19.4k. SE-V6 Accords are closer to $21-22k. For some, having more room, a 6-CD changer, 16" Alloys, a much torquier engine, and just more "car" in general would be worth the $1k. I needed the room, and got an Accord (I'm 6'4" and typically carry at least two passengers one or more times a week).
  • plistplist Posts: 19
    I bought 07 coupe ex for 18041.00 Love it! I spent three weeks doing research and driving other coupes. I liked the scion tc, but when I sat in it,it didn't compare with Honda, then I drove it and I still felt the same.

I love the sound system, moonroof, enjoy the sunlight coming through and does make the cabin light and airy.
    Here in Vermont ( snow country, doom & gloom) it's welcomed and the air in spring! The alloy wheels just add even more visual quality to it. Well worth the cost.
    The bass and sound of the factory system is amazing, wow!
  • I am considering buying a new Civic EX and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with driving one in a lot of snow?
  • Hi, I live in Wichita, KS and I just test drove an LX this afternoon. I really enjoyed the ride and I'm thisclose to buying it.

The biggest drawback for me (and I'm sure most would think it's really minor) is that I really don't like the headrest. It's too high and it makes me feel like I'm being pushed forward. Is there a way to swap out the headrest or is this standard on all Honda Civics? Thanks.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Try and play with the seat back angle...worked like a charm for me. With my bad spine, I had trouble at first, but with a tweaking of the seat back cushions angle, the headrest was no longer an issue. Try this and see what happens.

The Sandman :)
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Well not a lot (as in very deep) of snow but we drove ours through two Pa. winters.
    A) front drive = a + (plus)
    B) very low ground clearance particularly the front bumper/skirt below bumper = a - (minus)
    C) fairly wide, low profile tires standard = - (minus)
    D) no available traction control = - (minus)
    All in all somewhat less than average as compared to our other car a 95 Stratus. However this is not to say it has been a huge problem. Drive carefully and you can get by in all but the deepest snow at which point you should probably wait until the roads are cleared or buy an SUV...
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You might want to also ask in the general Honda Civic 2007 discussion.
This discussion has been closed.