Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suburban Tahoe Vibration Problems

Comments

• Follow-up to replacing the stock tires with Michelins. It did indeed fix the vibration issue and have been driving for about a year with no issues.
  • cat125cat125 Posts: 36
    I have a 2008 Tahoe and Im having the same problem with vibration in steering at 70-80 miles - i've been to the dealer six or seven times and its probably worse than before - it feels like a wobble or something wrong with a tire but we have replaced tires at least five times and wheels at least three times -our last attempt was to replace with the wheels and tires from a new vehicle in the lot - tried both bridgestones and good year - what is wrong ??? is it the drive gear the drive shaft ??? Its driving me crazy and now Im scheduled for another repair on Monday - is this car a Lemon ???? it only has 35,000 miles
    Does it work - Im having the same problem with 2008 Tahoe - 35,000 miles - vibration at 70 mph - tried several tires and wheels - does anything work
  • Cat125 - Replacing the original stock tires with Michelin's from Costco reduced about 70% of the vibration...which is significant, though the Tahoe still does not drive as it did for the first 15,000 miles. The problem started after a dealer balanced and rotated the tires...to which I still think he must have switch a rim (though I can't prove this). After swaping rotors, pads and one rim, on a recommendation, as well as several force-balancing and an alignment, the best fix was swapping the tires. I wished it drove like it did the first 15,000...nice and smooth. If you find the ultimate fix, please post. Thanks! -Rich
    Rich; thanks for the quick reply - my problem started when I decided to replace the factory wheels with GM accesory wheels that by the way were very expensive - so far have switched wheels three times - more expensive GM accesory wheels and even wheels from a 2009 new truck in the lot - also replaced first three good year eagles and eventually all four tires for bridgestones - did the force balance a million timers on all twheels and tires - someone just mentioned the drive shaft loosing its balance - not sure exactly what this means but it makes some sense as this happens upon an initial variation of tires ???? not sure how you are coping with still a 30% vibration - for me its unberable on a new vehicle with only eighteen months use - this is not a cheap SUV and this should not be happening - they have not done any break work on mine which also seems unreasonable as this has been going on for over a month and more than six or seven appointments - how many miles on you Tahoe now ??? How difficult is it to re-balance the drive shaft ???
  • Cat125 - I fully agree with the following statement: "its unberable on a new vehicle with only eighteen months use - this is not a cheap SUV and this should not be happening." It is unbearable and numerous dealer (six to be exact have attempted to fix the vibration), but NONE of the dealers referenced the issue you sent from GM.
  • Thank you so much for sending this bulletin!!!!!!!

I did not know this bulletin existed.

I have a fully loaded LTZ Tahoe with the 20" tires and I will be at my dealer Monday morning with a copy of the bulletin. Will keep you updated on what they tell me and what occurs. If nothing, I will contacted GM directly. We shouldn't have any vibration issue on a vehicle we are still making payments on.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    GM techs may not want their names or contact info posted on an internet forum so we've pulled the post so Cat125 can edit out the name and phone number and repost.
  • Can you please re-post the bulletin? I have a 2009 Tahoe with vibration problems at all speeds, so I'm curious what the bulletin says. I bought my Tahoe less than a month ago, and have been back to the dealer three times already. Not what I expected after spending $45k+ on a new car. I have 20 inch rims with Goodyear Eagle tires. I wondering if it's the tires, or something more serious. The service manager said it is "normal", which I think is BS.
    Steve ; the problem is not with the tires or the wheels - my truck has had at least three different sets of wheels and two different sets of tires - bridgestones and goodyear and both GM accesory wheels and 2009 factory brand new wheels - by switching tires they can reduce and minimize the problem when using the force-road balancing machine - but the fact is if your problem is like mine the body will continue to vibrate - there has been speculation from forum readers regarding the drive shaft and the U joints but in another forum there is someone who had all that work done and the problem still remains - ask the service manager if he would buy a used vehicle with that kind of vibration.... much less a 45 K new vehicle. will send the bulletin - good luck
    Document ID# 2035368

Subject:EI07266 - Vehicle/Tire Vibration, P275/5R20, LT265/70R17, P285/45R22, LT245/75R16, P265/70R17 #07-03-10-013A - (11/01/2007)

Models:2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
    with any of the following Tire RPO's:
    - QSS (P275/55R20)
    - QXT (LT265/70R17)
    - QST (P285/45R22)
    - QIZ (LT245/75R16)
    - QAS / QAN (P265/70R17)
    - QJM / QJP (P265/70R17)

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in published Service Information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053A for more detail on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.

This bulletin is being revised to add tire RPOs QST, QIZ, QAS, QAN, QJM and QJP. In addition, step 11 has been revised to request the 11-digit DOT number of the tire. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-03-10-013 (Section 03 -- Suspension).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a vehicle/tire vibration.

Cause
    GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of reported tire vibrations on vehicles equipped with P275/55R20, LT265/70R17, P285/45R22, LT245/75R16 or P265/70R17 tires. GM has a need to obtain information during diagnosis and BEFORE repair. This information will be used by engineering to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.

If the customer's concern can not be duplicated -- disregard this bulletin. If the customer's concern can be duplicated, complete the following steps. Be sure to note the following information on the repair order:

Verify that the VIN and mileage listed on the repair order is accurate. Describe the customer's concern (i.e. shake, buzz, roughness, tingling). Note when (mph, idle, accel, decel, etc) and where (steering column, seat, etc) the vibration is felt. Document the tire size and manufacturer of the tires currently on the vehicle. Inspect the following components to verify that they are in good working condition. Note any "faults" on the repair order:
    • tire/wheel assemblies
    • steering components
    • suspension components
    Install the J 38792-A (Electronic Vibration Analyzer -- EVA) sensor to the component identified by the customer as the most respondent to the vibration. If no component was identified, install the J 38792-A sensor to the steering column. Select a smooth, level road and slowly accelerate the vehicle up to highway speed. Observe the vehicle for disturbances that match the customer's description and note the following conditions:
    • Vehicle speed
    • Engine RPM
    • Transmission gear range and specific gear
    • Vibration frequency reading, detected by the J 38792-A
    If the sensor was originally placed on the steering column, and the vibration seems to excite a particular component of the vehicle more than the steering column, move the J 38792-A sensor to that component and repeat steps 6 and 7. Does the frequency data clearly fall within the tire/wheel parameters? (Refer to Symptoms -- Vibration Diagnosis and Correction, found in SI).
    • NO -- continue to diagnose and repair the vibration not related to the tire and wheel assembly. • YES -- proceed with Step 10.
    Using the HUNTER GSP9700 Roadforce/Balancer, measure the roadforce variation of each tire/wheel assembly. Also, with the original balance weights still installed, measure the inboard and outboard imbalance. Record the findings on the RO. Record on the repair order, the 11-digit DOT number found on the rim flange of the tire.
    PRIOR to making any repairs, contact the engineer listed below with information from your diagnosis. The engineer will provide direction to repair the customer's concern. For vehicles located in SE Michigan, the engineer may need to physically inspect the vehicle.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    Thanks for reposting that!
    Steve : Not to freak you out but look at this post from another forum -

The dealer has replaced the Intermediate shaft, 4 new OE shocks, replaced the wheels and tires(new take offs from a 2008 Tahoe, 20"inch- road forced balanced the tires, balanced the drive shaft, did rotor run out, checked the rear rotors for warpness, but the vibrations are still there between 65-75 mph and doesn't go away unitl you get below 65 mph..Whats next?
    Steve ; in fact you should not have a problem - Chevy now allows for 60 day guarantee that you can return your vehicle if not satisfied -
  • Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I waived the 60 day return right in exchange for an additional $500 off. Bad decision on my part.
    Bad decision indeed - Live and learn with GM -
  • I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with 20-inch wheels and Bridgestone tires. I was searching through the forums for vibrations in the driver side mirror and came across this thread. My dealer has replaced the mirror on two occasions. They were aware of the vibration issue with the Tahoes but I haven't experienced the problem. If I recall correctly, they attributed the vibration issues to off-spec tires.

I've put 30,000 miles on my original tires and they're holding up great. Plenty of tread wear left and no vibrations. I routinely rotate them and keep my Tahoe in 2 wheel drive mode unless it's raining or I go up to the snow.
  • i have a 05 tahoe that has 2 15s in the back and when the system is turned off it used to sound like a hay wagon until i invested in some fatmat rattle trap extreme 80mil sound deadener i covered the doors completely the roof the floor all the way to under the front seats double in the hatch area on the sides floor roof and hatch and i have to say the doors shut like a benz door with authority lol and its sounds great inside no lil rattles or vibrations and not to mention the gain in sound quality and spl i tell everyone about this stuff its great it took me about a day and a half to pull out my interior and put the stufdf in and put it all back but it was well worh it
    Tahoe is great truck and in fact is still the best value for the money - just went to car show this weekend and similar trucks are on average 20K more expensive - all brands have issues - unfortunately mine is having some - vibrations can be caused by tires but it seems there is something else causing vibration in my vehicle - it happens to one in every couple of thousand vehicles no matter the manufacturer - one very expensive brand new SUV from friend of mine is having trouble as well with the diesel engine and that is a 60K truck - some Japanese large SUV's have also proven complicated-
  • My truck just went nuts my volt guage an oil pressure gauge went south changed my sensor on oil level we had really cold weather for 4 days 17 deg an colder now its not working can some help me