Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick La Crosse New Owners Reports

Comments

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    edited May 2011
    OMG, you have got to be kidding. Well that is what a lot might say but they need to be informed of that attitude from the company.
    I posed a question to one of the owners of the dealer I'm with. It had to do with the defective design of the CAF and the fact that GM obviously knows there is a problem because of the bandaid fix to stop air from moving around the filter rather than through it. And that with all their wisdom they chose to use open cell foam to seal it (sarcasm).
    He apologized for the problem and then explained that GM was bigger than them, much bigger. That basically they work for GM.
    It is little wonder that their business has expanded the way it has. They handle GMC & Buick. Their real growth has been in Mercedes and BMW.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    rf123,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Can you please email me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rf123rf123 Posts: 6
    Hi Christina,

As I previously stated, my case number is 71-922394425. The representative how "helped" me was Drew.

My VIN should be available under the above case number.

The dealership, Somerset Buick in Troy, MI is well aware of this issue and should be able to provide any info you need.

Please keep me informed.

Regards,
    Did our posts get mixed somehow? Mine is red, 2011 CXS.
    That is I agree with much of this.
    Mine was not a scratch in paint, but the metal with a crease. Then factory painted over.
    Touring Package and it seems the 19" GY are the source of road noise. Much noisier than CXL.
    I wish all features worked.
    A double yes to HID lamps over standard lamps on CXL.
    Around 2500 miles, my mileage dropped about 2 1/2 MPG so that makes it a bit of a guzzler in my book. The 4.0L V8 Aurora got about the same around town, but actually better on highway. Plus all the advantages of a V8.
    Although the seating in the 09 Malibu is quite firm, it is also quite comfortable for distance because it did not sag against hard points. The lumbar adjust was mechanical only and not much. But Buick could definitely improve. Unfortunately Malibu had some real safety issues on top of bugs.
    The second owner discovered one of those herself.
    It appears I now have a real safety issue on this one. I drove approximately 250 miles round trip yesterday. In that time I'm sure I had to add air and adjust lumbar over 100 times. The return trip much worse than heading out. That is when I became accutely aware that all that one handed driving is a safety issue. And on what has been a high death stretch of road since the 70's. It was off limits back then, because of that issue, to Marines stationed just south of its start. Hundreds have been killed on it.
    Even with my efforts to keep it adjusted, I ended up stretched out for two hours when I got home because of back pain.
    Buick, if you are listening, I'd like to be part of your seating torture test team. Heads up, it involves the seating design team (insert evil laugh).
    rf123,
    Thank you, I am looking into this situation further for you. I will update you with any new developments in your case.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Thank you Christina.

Although, you are telling me the same thing the dealer and customer service have been saying for several months now - "we will check into it and let you know". To start, have the GM NVH Engineers put a Lacrosse CXS on a 4 post road simulator and find out where the noise is coming from. Once this is determined, GM can find a fix. I would feel a lot more confident if someone could tell me where the noise is coming from. No one has told me the source of the noise - dealer or GM. Pathetic after 3 months.

If this is not fixed, my next vehicle is going to be non-GM.

Ughhhh!! :sick:
    rf123,
    I apologize for you frustrations. Someone should be in contact with you for more information reguarding your concerns. Please feel free to email me with any questions comments or concerns. Have a great weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Christina,

My 2011 CXS with 19" wheels continues to exhibite the front suspension clunk noise. There has been zero progress the last 4 months to determine the root cause of this noise that is always present when traveling over quick small bumps at speeds less than 50mph.

Niether the dealer or GM have made an sign of progress in 4 months. Is this GM's idea of customer service? What is so difficult about finding the source of this CLUNK? The dealer service director say's all LaCrosse's have this annoying clunk. Maybe this is just GM's standard of quality??

I did get a call from the customer service person (Drew) and he said there is no progress. My case is being closed as a "dis-satisfied customer". Wonderful.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    rf: Does your new CXZ with the 19" wheels have the new hyperstrut setup in the front. The 19" wheel/GY tires and hyper strut were part of the touring package I believe. Many posters have commented on noisy rides with the 19" wheel setups vs the 18" with the standard McPherson strut and Michelin tires. The dealer s/b aware of any suspension issues if that is the issue.
    Good luck
  • 56dave56dave Posts: 1
    Hi
    New 2011 Lacrosse 6cyl. Oil dipstick in this car is not the same as in the owners manual.
    My stick is more torpedo shape on a wire. Manual shows a flat dipstick.
    My problem is I took it to the selling dealer for its first oil change. When I got home I noticed it was listed as a 6 qt change. The manual shows it to need only 5&1/2. I questioned the dealer and was told it was filled to proper level and not to worry. Level of oil is above the torpedo shape and on to the wire. Look to me to be over filled. Not good . Any body else have this style dipstick
    Per GM brochures, the hyperstrut is standard on all CXS, not just touring package.
    I personally changed mine with 5 1/2 quarts and a filter that is slightly larger than the PF48. The result is that oil is at the joint where it is attached to wire.
    If that is where yours is at, then they used 5 1/2 quarts. I guess you could say no one sells half quarts of oil.
    I have not yet had a chance to go over it well, but they asked me to pick it up because the exhaust system is backordered.
    They apparently fixed the column lock and the leather on the steering wheel looks a bit dark, like maybe they got some grease on it and it stained. I was told they ordered and replaced the entire column to fix the locking issue.
    I raised the hood and saw that they had not cleaned the battery residue that got scattered all over under hood when they replaced the battery.
    And I may have forgotten to include the door seals coming apart at the factory splice point when I faxed GM. I think I may have discovered this after the fax, when I washed it a day or two before taking in.
    But the boots at rear shocks look like they got messed with. They had completely fallen, and the one on the driver side looks like they may have attempte to put back, but it is half way out again.
    As to what they did with AC, I do not know for sure. Glancing at paperwork it did not mention corrective action. I know they intended to replace the expansion valve, at least until I talked it over with them explaining it had to be something with the inside controls that made it blow heated air at a low fan speed when it was 96 degrees and in auto set at 75, then faster fan at 72 degrees. I fear they went into the freon system because it did not seem to blow as cold as it did before.
    And as to my complaints about the cabin air filter, GM rep told dealer it is not a problem. BFS. If the dang air is not going through the filter but around it, then it is a problem.
    BTW, smells would enter mine, even in recirulate. The Regal also had smell issues, but they'd dissipate quickly once it was put in recirulate, so apparently mine has a door issue on top of other AC issues and the bad filter.
    I can tell you that new Regal also has temp control issues. Set at 68 during sunny day to keep comfortable, but have to move to 75 at night or it will freeze you. They obviously have issues with sun/load sensing/computing circuitry. That Regal, you definitely won't make the mistake of hitting key again because of it being so quiet. And it also has a tranny/differential whine, especially when letting off at highway speed.
    I'll figure the rest out later.
    And I stopped to fill with gas at a station near dealer. They were not having a good day either. Turned out someone else had same issue earlier today. It was taking a very long time to fill and the numbers were not moving fast. So I checked oil. Raised hood and as I bent in to pull stick, very strong smell of gasoline. Just in case, my mind directed me to check nozzle. Sure enough it was running down side of car. I ran to shut off, and it would not release until I pulled on handle several times. Car is sitting in a pool of gasoline and vapors to knock you out.
    I let it sit a very long time to let some of it go away. I was afraid to get in and start. Later it occurred to me that maybe I should have tried the remote start and maybe I would have gotten lucky. That is, I have had it with GM. I am convinced they can no longer build quality automobiles. Or am I the one that got all the bad parts?
    Dave: I to had some confusion regarding the dipstick level on 2010 CXL with 3.0L V-6. Book says 6.0 quarts and when delivered the dipstick read well above the crosshatched (CH) area on our flat dipstick type. I emailed GM customer service and Christina promptly verified the dipstick part number in ours was correct. Various posters then commented they had the torpedo/wire type dipstick and others had the flat type. I verified that 6.0 quarts filled the car to over the CH area. Dealer has done 3 changes and the last one was filled to the top of the CH area that indicates 5 1/2 quarts to me. Bottom line - with all the engine changes (3.0,3.6,I-4) there dowes appear to be some confusion about fill levels. My dealer assures me that they use VIN# to get correct amount but various readings by different techs seems to dispute that view. 1/2 quart too much or too little may not matter but seems that the confusion may have been self induced by multiple engines and or different types of dipsticks that conflict with the manuals in our cars. Dipstick s/b same as illustration in manual regardless of frequent engine revisions and readings s/b in the CH area for all cars.
    When the techs at the dealer get confused the owners don't have a chance!
    Good luck
    rider: You seem to be jinxed on this car for your needs and your particular standards. Your comments express extreme dissatisfaction with ALL aspects of your new car. As they say "Life is too short". Maybe you w/b wise to trade your Lacrosse for a perfect vehicle regardless of the cost involved. The list keeps getting longer and more detailed so I'm sure the dealer is running out of techs and ideas.
    I have followed the Lacrosse since the new model was introduced and yours seems to be the one with all of the insolvable problems so it may be time to move on and swap it for that perfect vehicle from another maker.
    good luck with your search.
    Yours actually calls for 6 quarts in the manual?
    I know with this idea of modulartiy that they bolt different sized pans on the same engine. Some of that is likely the available room. But, then if 5 quarts is good, why use 6 quart or 7 or other sized pans?
    This don't pass the smell test.
    And it should match the picture in the book indeed. Otherwise I'm inclined to believe they did not use the proper dipstick with the pan size. And with what I'm learning of the new GM, I have reason to postulate that.
    Read my next post on hard drive to understand one of reasons.
    edited June 2011
    Rider: yes it does. 6 was unusual to me after years with 5.5 in GM engines.
    I like the idea of more oil not less for heat, dilution with gasoline blowby and the old diesel engines with huge oil sump capacity. I can not believe that gm would make different pans just to use more oil capacity when the installation layout allowed for it. It is hugely confusing for service techs - not to mention the grossly maintenance undertrained buying public these days. I think more oil helped with longer intervals, which I personally DO NOT agree with but who cares?
    I suspicion that your are right on the dipstick mixups. Easy to do on the engine assembly line with various configuration of the same size engine being manufactured. so far ours has been great and is pretty well matched to the 6-speed, car weight and driveability features. As posted, MPG has been better than expected so all is well here. Wife's car and I only drive it on trips, but we both are pleased and that ain't easy folks!
    Referring to page 32 in navigation manual, it specifically mentions portable USB hard drives and their use.
    And I bought one because of the amount of music I have. It is too much for my iPod which works great except the playbar on screen will not move like it does on the iPod itself.
    BTW, unless you have the Navigation system, it is not very cool as I found out in the Regal. It has USB port and will display whats playing on the small screen, but no way to control it what-so-ever. And the iPod thinks the car is controlling so it won't let you access it either. You can only unplug iPod, set up you play choices, then plug back in loosing any control.
    Back to the HDD.
    "This Media Can Not Be Used" is the message I get when I plug it.
    Thumb drives work, iPod works. I formatted the HDD and then copied what was on the thumb drive to it. So there is an issue of sorts.
    Has anyone had luck?
    I called GM customer assistance which did not go well. The entire tier 2 nav group had the day off. Dummy tried to tell me that I had to get the Nav Update, $200, to get it to work. Since it is in the owners manual that it is supposed to work, if the update is needed, someone will be intalling the update free.
    I'm beginning to think they make this stuff up as time goes by and never test.
    And as far as things failing or not working, I can now easily say this is the worst car I have ever owned. And that spans 45 years of driving, most of it two cars, and prior family experience. The only good of it is that it has cost me nothing but the payments, an oil change, and patched tire.
    I agree with not having too much oil in an engine pan. I'm not sure why diesels have such large capacities, but change interval might have some connection. A good one will run forever, so it seems.
    Heck, I'm still getting used to something more than 5 quarts. In by-gone days when oil was changed around 2000 miles, it called for filter every other oil change. A fill without filter was 4 quarts. A lot of customers felt they were being cheated out of the other half quart when the filter was used. Don't know that was the reason, but eventually it became filter every change and pans increased to 5 quarts for change. I Had an 84 Mercury Topaz diesel and that took 7 quarts or slightly more. Two filters, one changed every other time. Vehicle had a couple of bugs, and I might still have it if it was not for the Ford mechanic that put timing belt on one tooth retarded. It had 170K when I said good-bye to it. It was definitely an MPG champ. And built rock solid. I am very sure the basic body had some beefing up and extra sound deadening.
    The variety of fills has to be confusing, but I'd bet they don't even change oil without checking some computer screen these days.
    After posting that message questioning the issue of using a portable HDD, I searched for other sources of info.
    Turns out I'm not alone. The Equinox and Cadillac SRX have very long threads about difficulty getting the USB port to work with a variety of media. There were a few that had tried portable HDD and ran into the same issue I have. One was a Western Digital, mine is iOmega, so that is at least two brands that don't work. That makes it more suspicious that it is a programming issue of the system, not the drives. So, maybe the GM rep I talked to is correct. She said it needs the new nav disc for proper updates.
  • bobinorbobinor Posts: 63
    I'll try to be civil/diplomatic in my reply but your first 2 paragraphs of this post #48, "Picked up today", make absolutely no sense. They are so far out of context of anything that, without reference to any earlier comments, they convey nothing of interest.

You ramble on and on, usually incoherently (but authoritatively), about your displeasure with just about everything regarding your CXS. Why whine when you can switch. Get a used Malibu or Aurora you speak so fondly of.

Do you not pump your own gas? We don't/can't here in Oregon so an attendant is in control of filling our tanks. You blame GM for a tank filling operation mishap? From your description it sounds like a faulty shut-off at the pump to me. Or maybe the nozzle wasn't firmly in the receiving pipe?

Maybe you're too picky and I'm too complacent but my 2011 CXS which I've had since last Oct. has given me nothing but pleasure. Maybe you are the one who got all the bad parts. You know, there is a remedy if that is truly the case. :lemon:

But please don't let me deter you from continued postings. Reading them has become among my favorite sources of entertainment. :)
    edited June 2011
    bob; We have also been VERY pleased with our 2010 CXL. Per my prior posts, I pay a lot of attention to the cars we have and try to be up to speed on maintenance and repair items to keep them running and satisfying our needs. We all do have different standards but KISS is one of my favorite axioms and relative to vehicles it has held us in good stead.
    The new Lacrosse is an outstanding vehicle in design, execution and performance, but it is a collection of expendable parts designed and assembled by mere humans. GM is really trying in my opinion and they are VERY responsive to real issues that they can address to improve the driving experience with the new cars.
    I just finished Bob Lutz' new book "Car Guys vs. Beancounters" and for $13 on Kindle it is great insight into how we got to where we are on cars in the last few years. He was the daddy of the new Lacrosse and others so worth the read IMO.
    Enjoy your new Lacrosse (and LIFE) - it is short and final so the good things are to be savored and the not so good have to be endured.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,190
    I echo both crankeee and bobinor's sentiments. My 2011 CXS at 7,000 miles is flawless and every time I press the push button a smile comes on my face.

On a prior post and on another thread I mentioned that erider was too pickey and nothing that GM did was going to please him. It appears that he is a chronic complainer as he had similar issues with the new Malibu to the point of returning it for a new car (Lacrosse I believe). Perhaps GM should do to him what a cell phone company did by dropping difficult-to-please customers.

On a more positive note, my CXS has exceeded my expectations. It is smooth, quiet, responsive and soaks up road imperfections and bridge expansions like a charm. The tech package with HID, heads-up display, blind side alert, back-up camera and sound system are features I did not have in my Avalon and I enjoy in my CXS.

Happy Fathers' Day to all.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,085
    > It appears that he is a chronic complainer as he had similar issues with the new Malibu to the point of returning it for a new car (Lacrosse I believe).

Mention of returning Malibu to dealer:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f8f96/203#MSG203
    56dave.
    I have checked my resources and you have the correct dipstick and the fill spec is correct. Engineering has not had other complaints of this. Confirm that the 6qts service has been properly executed, then have the vehicle oil level checked after a cold soak (engine turned off and vehicle sitting on a flat level surface) of 8+ hours. If the oil level is still over the full mark, to investigate it further, we'd probably want to have the vehicle taken to a GM dealership and have them contact TAC to run through verification suggestions.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina: I sent you an email directly regarding my dipstick reading in our 2010 Lacrosse CXL with the 3.0L V-6. I am lucky to have an outstanding dealer that performs all the oil changes on the vehicle( 3 so far at 10,000 miles). As 56 Dave points out there are some confusing aspects to the fill level with different engines, dipsticks and fill levels. I appreciate your last sentence to Dave- take it to the dealer and have them verify the fill level on the dipstick with the recommended fill amount. I will do that next time the oil is changed- that really is the only way to resolve the inconsistencies IMO., so thanks for the reply to 56dave for all of us with the same issues.
    Thanks for post Crankee.
    Yes I have the 3.6 which calls for 5.5 quarts fill, yet we seem to have the same dipstick, and mine too is over the top of the bob attached to the wire.
    crankeee,
    I am glad I could help! Feel free to direct any other questions to my email as well. I hope you have a great holiday weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited July 2011
    I can only say that I'm glad it is working out for you and hope it continues to.
    That was my expectations of this vehicle claimed to be luxury. My wife thought I was a bit picky on Malibu, but then she very seldom drove and was never behind the wheel when it would try to drive you into the ditch! The Malibu does have some good points, but when it comes to real safety issues such as intermittant sticking of calipers, poor handling on highways, and the EPS that was trying to drive me off the road, those were deadly concerns and should not exist in a new vehicle.
    As to the Lacrosse, the last few weeks my wife has even been prompting me with, "You need to get rid of this car, it is a lemon!"
    So far it has been a hassle to repeatedly take to dealer to get things fixed, and more often than not it has taken multiple trips for it to act up for dealer.
    My current situation is:
    Will they ever get the leaking of lumbar support fixed?
    Factory apparently sent them a first run reject steering column because I now have play. (assuming it was not poorly installled)
    What is with all the battery issues?
    Since I was getting dry starts because of factory defective oil filter for the first 6K miles, how long will the engine last?
    When is the next time my blindzone alert will act up since dealer could not duplicate.
    When will their hyped CAF system work as advertised? (I have allergies)
    And two GM vehicles that start having sticking calipers with less than 10K miles? I don't drive dirt roads or mud bog vehicle so this is unexcuseable! Are they relieing on the backup systems too much? I made sure the Lacrosse did not have Electric Power Steering because of earlier issue. And never suspected I'd see another sticking caliper on a new vehicle. Now I have to wonder how good those backups are on this car. They were lousy on the Malibu. On the rear skid I did all the corrective action manually and no hint of it even trying to do its job. And certainly no individual wheel braking for corrective action. One of the times the caliper stuck I was braking so hard the anti-lock brakes initiated but the front was still going to the side on me, and I ended up past the red light. Can I 'really' depend on it on this vehicle?
    BTW, you will notice that some have had some of the same issues as I. It is just that mine seems to have most of those plus a few new ones.
    My writings might seem like a discertation to some, but it is in hope that we all find a good repoire with fixes, dealers, and GM. I am definitely concerned about GM when they tell me, repeatedly "their is nothing they can do if it was designed that way." Well I won't buy that!
    If they advertised it as doing somthing, I expect it to do that. If they designed a safety issue, they darned well better take care of.
    And I've know my service manager for many years. When people in service start thinking it is a lemon, maybe you should too! And that is where I'm at right now. (Remember these are the people who have seen those stupid designs that you may not have bought into, such as that 4-6-8 technology.)
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,190
    edited July 2011
    "My wife thought I was a bit picky (duh!)...When people in service start thinking it is a lemon, maybe you should too! And that is where I'm at right now."

e_net_rider,
    Let me suggest the Avalon Limited as your next ride. This car is flawless in every respect and it delivers good gas mileage. I owned one for 10 years and in that time I had only one reportable condition, a burnt out tail light.