Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Electrical & Lighting Glitches

2»

Comments

• plsmrvllplsmrvll Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Cooper S. Has anyone else experienced an electrical 'clicking' sound, like a relay turning on/off, from the passenger side compartment? Had it in for service and they didn't find it. It's intermittent, and it clicks several times when it happens. Hard to pinpoint it, but I'm thinking it has to do with the fan/AC.

Thanks in advance,

Pat
  • violetdcvioletdc Posts: 9
    Can't help you there, Pat. :confuse: You said it's intermittent--does it ever occur when you turn on the heat (assuming you aren't in a tropical climate just now)? I'm trying to remember if my '06 S ever did that, and can't come up w/anything. As usual, you can NEVER duplicate what's happening when you've got a tech there ready to help.

I'm sure some of the more experienced folks in the community can help. Are you registered on NAM? There's a multitude of information there. I hope the clicking gets taken care of, cuz I'm sure it's annoying you to no end--it would 4 me! :shades:
  • jrbljrbl Posts: 1
    Hi, both electric fans are not working. My mechanic has done all the basic stuff; straight wired them (they work) checked relays etc. There is a low pressure switch
    on the AC that should send a signal for the fans to come on: also the radiator cooling fan is not working. Any help would be appreciated.
  • I have a different problem and I am at a loss to figure it out or know where to start.

I have a whirring noise when my 2004 MCS (r53) is off. It simply started without any notice at all. All the car was fine, parked it, whent into the office for a few minutes and back to the car and the battery was almost dead. The whirring whining noise was there. car barely had enough juice and eventually couldn't. Got it jumped and it runs perfectly. drove it home and I let it idle for an hour. turned it off, waited 10 or so and it happened again. this time, when i tried to start it the headlights flashed, next time the driver window went down 1/2" at a time in the same beat as the starter, next time the wipers went in time to the starter.

jumped it again and it ran fine. Looked at the battery and the indicator was black (I know they arent all that reliable). put a volt meter on it and 5.5 volts. Ah dead battery. Jumped it and headed to the autoparts store. took the battery out and had them test it... it was GOOD.

The sound sounds like a relay or switch not turning off when the car turns off. I live in a small town, only mini, maybe 1 of 2, hard to find a foreign car mechanic. Couple of questions:

anyone recognize this issue?
    Will a real electrical diag be the right direction to go?
    Will Pulling codes help?
    Any ideas? I fixed a pass window issue by finding a blog that said, bang with your fist just above the speaker on the pass door - it worked :)

I have reset the ECU, I noticed there are some diags under some of the options.

Help! I love my Mini and hate my work truck which i am now driving! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,520
    Could that be your radiator cooling fan operating? If so, and you own a 2004, I would check for low coolant level, caused by a small thermostat housing leak.

If the engine is too hot when you shut it off, that cooling fan can run for 10 minutes easily and it draws a lot from the battery.

If your battery is the original one, then it's toast anyway---too old.

• forom55forom55 Posts: 1
    The car in question has 140xxx miles on it and has been having issues with the lights turning off when in use at night, the power windows won't go down anymore and the battery has a drain. If anyone has had similar problems and found an answer please let me know thanks!
  • I have a similar issue with my 04 Cooper S after having it jumped. The battery seems fine but windows won't roll down at all. I called a trusted Mini mechanic and he said to try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 2 minutes and it should reset the windows. I haven't tried it yet but will let you know.
2»