Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Problems

Comments

• jbeard004jbeard004 Posts: 1
    Bought a 2007 Pacifica in February. Been in the shop 4 times already. Found this forum after I bought it and have been reading about the problems. My husband is considering the lemon law but I was hoping they could fix the problems because I really love this car. My question is, did you get another Pacifica and if so, is it running ok?
  • kmmmkmmm Posts: 1
    I also have an 07 Pacifica with the same vibrating problem. I explained it to the dealer that it felt like you were going over a "Rumble Strip" on the side of the highway. They told me it was "Normal". I brought my car back today. I printed out all these messages and gave it to the dealer. They kept my car and are going to research it. We'll see!
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Perhaps I'm just a "lucky" one. I purchased my 2007 Pacifica Touring FWD in December 06' and have had no significant problems. I just turned 16,500 miles(yes I do a great deal of driving). I'm saddened and surprised to see all the first time posters here who are having problems.
  • kkodalkkodal Posts: 34
    woow..i thought i was doing a lot of driving but you beat me to it...i bought my 05 touring may 06.it had 29k miles on it.14 months after it has 46k miles.and luckily i did not have ANY problems with mine.the only thing i did was get the recall done on the PCM and the headlight harness and that's it.i had the transmission fluid and the filter changed when it had 41k on it(it was my preference to get it done to make sure it is running with fresh fluid).now all i do is change the oil and keep driving it.ohh i did put a lot of options mine did not have like auto headlight,fog light,auto dimming mirror,intermezzo system,full size spare tire,vent visors,had the halogen lights changed it with the HID looking projector lights.just have to purchase another ballast and a bulb to turn it in to HID,mud flaps,the only thing i want to do it is the get the bottom of the car painted and the mirrors painted to make it look like the limited.i was thinking of making the car have the two tone color option instead of one color.but we'll see.everything i did to the car cost me less than $1000 so i am very happy with the car. :) :D :shades:
  • davisburgdavisburg Posts: 1
    Finally I found a forum where people are having the same issues. Mine began the moment I pulled the car out of the lot, it was downshifting really hard - felt like someone was tapping you from behind. The first trip to the dealer resulting in a "flashing" of the transmission, but it didn't help. A 2nd trip to a different dealer resulted in a transmission replacement - 4,500 miles in! About 2 months later I noticed a puddle of fluid in my driveway. A trip to the dealer resulted in a resealing of the differential (9000 miles). Right now I am having the 30-50 mph shudder between 1200 and 2000 rpm. It is scheduled to go back in next week. Depending on how they worded the repairs this will be the 4th powertrain issue in 7 months and 14k miles of ownership. So far the dealers have had the car for 22 days.
    the shuddering you have should be fixed with changing your torque converter. ;)
  • irongirlirongirl Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2007 Pacifica Touring with a defective torque conver,the dealer attempted to repair in May. I called to have the car repaired for a second time the dealer told me that I should contact customer service regarding the problem as there is nothing further that can be done. I contacted customer service to find out that they told the dealer there is not issue with the vehicle it is the operator - this didn't sit well.

In addition to the shuddering, I am also feeling a knocking in my foot when I accelerate up to 20 mph, my steering wheel shakes (which I believe is part of the torque converter issue), is anyone else having these issues?
  • david613david613 Posts: 16
    Same problems w my 07 Pacifica. It is in shop right now and I am told that Chrysler is currently producing a new torque converter to be released 8/15/07. Fortunately, the dealership and Chrysler has recognized that there is a problem and they are working to correct it. Hopefully, this new TC will solve the problem. I'm getting annoyed with not being able to drive my new vehicle.
  • kjay1kjay1 Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced the gear position selector on the dash illuminating all options at the same time. ie. park, reverse, neutral, drive? Normally, the gear that you select is distinguished by an illuminated circle. As you move your gear shifter through the gears, the circle corresponds to the desired gear. Our '04 PAC has adopted this bad habit of illuminating all gears simultaneously a couple of weeks ago. The down side is (besides not being right in general) none of the features that only work in park will work anymore. ie. memory seats, power lift gate etc.. Also, we have experienced some starting problems and I wonder if these two problems are related. (maybe the car does not think it is in park, therefore, it won't start) Any suggestions?
  • hotsshotss Posts: 9
    They had my car for 28 days. I was having the same problem everyone else was having. They said that Chrysler built a new torque converter and installed it today( 8/1/07). I am going to pick it up tomorrow and hope for the best
    The Chrysler dealership just did the exact same thing with my 07 Pac. They installed the "new" torque converter today (8/1), and said that I should be able to pick it up tomorrow (8/2). Fortunately, they've only had it for about a week. Hopefully this will solve the problem!

hotss, please keep us all posted on the new torque converter. I will do the same.
  • hotsshotss Posts: 9
    I just got it back after 28 days in the shop. They installed a brand new TC and I drove it at the same speeds as before when it shuddered,and so far so good. No shuddering at all and it even seems a little peppier. I put about 25 miles on it with no problem yet! Good luck to all!
    I will post again around 200 miles or so.
  • salynnsalynn Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT MY 07 PACIFICA ON JULY 3 AND ON JULY 4TH WITH 75 MILES ON IT, THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND THE CAR WASN'T SHIFTING. BROUGHT IT TO THE DEALER AND WAS TOLD THE TRANNY WAS SHOT. THEY COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! THEY GAVE US A NEW CAR AND WE HAD THAT ONE FOR 2 DAYS AND 160 MILES AND GUESS WHAT?! SAME PROBLEM!! THEY HAVE HAD THE CARE FOR 3 WEEKS AND IT IS STILL NOT FIXED. THEY SAID THEY WERE WAITING FOR A TORQUE CONVERTER AND THAT IT IS ON BACK ORDER. WAITING PATIENTLY FOR AN ANSWER FROM CHRYSLER. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER AGAIN.
    Just picked mine up today as well. I spoke with the svc mgr who said that chrysler built a new torque converter whcih was placed in my Pac. After driving it home and a little around town, no more shuddering and improved shifting. It's great to actually enjoy my new car...maybe now I can put some miles on it.
  • komackkomack Posts: 1
    Not sure where this fits in... however we have a 2005 awd touring and we just had the tie rods replaced. We heard knocking sounds from the front end when turing the steering wheel. Still hear knocking.. Thank god we had purchased extended warranty. Last month passenger rear window motor had to be replaced. We also had one stalling episode.. dealer could not find problem. Another website tracks problems.. carcomplaints.com not to much up there.. we should all update with our problems. Thats my next stop.. Love the look of the car.. however can live without these problems
    i don't know if i am allowed to give another forums adress on here but i am a member of another forum and that forum helped me thru a lot.i never had any issues with my pac but on the upgrades it was very helpfull.there are lot of people who knows a lot about pac.if you would like the adress just e mail me at kerim_kodal@yahoo.com and i'll e mail you the name of the forum.some of you might already be a member of that forum i would definetely recommend to try it out.i am pretty sure you'll have most of your questions answered. ;)
  • Ok we purchased our 07 Pacifica Touring around May, the 2nd week we had and the first rain the sunroof leaked like a ocean! We took it in to have that repaired and the next week the shuddering started and it was very cold natured "at start up if you accellerated it would almost cut off" so we took it in. Of course they said they didnt find or feel anything, a couple weeks later I took it back, this time they felt it and kept it for a week to order a TC! This was right after the 4th of July and it still didnt fix it, they also did a software upgrade to fix the stalling and you guessed it that didnt work either. The SM said he drove 3 new ones on the lot and they ALL did it, he stated he was talking to Detroit to try to get us a new car but his reccomendation was NOT to get another Pacifica!
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    Concerning your one stalling episode, Technical Service bulletin TSB 180395 dated December 5, 2005 is a software update to correct the stalling problem. For more detail, please see post #4 in the Chrysler Pacifica Starting/Stalling Problems thread. Good luck!
  • As far as the stalling issue goes I have an 07 that is only 3 months old so a bulletin that is 18 months old should allready be corrected before the production of mine but they did do a software update that did not correct it!
  • kragtjkragtj Posts: 4
    Just took my '07 AWD Pacifica in to the dealer with the same "shudder" problem everyone seems to be having. They showed me a TSB #21-002-07 REV.B for this problem that states to "replace the torque converter and reprogram the PCM with the latest software using the flash procedure". The car has 3,000+ miles on it. They told me the problem affects several cars such as the Nitro, some 300s, Sebrings, etc. and that the pacificas affected are only the AWD models.Has replacing the torque converter solved the problem for you guys?
  • andtxandtx Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Limited, which we bought in May. In June while we were on vacation the transmission started to shudder. Initially I thought it was a fuel problem. We took it to Valley in Boulder CO. They diagnosed the torque converter and listed the TSB. They even spoke to the supplying dealer in TX about car. The supplying dealer had driven the car for over 1000 miles and "had not noticed anything wrong". We drove back to TX. without incident and had the TC replaced (in 2 days so it looks like were a bit lucky there). The car no longer shudders though it does not seem as though it has all it's get up and go.
    My question is: is the new TC meant to be upgraded, and how do I find out.
    In addition we have the worst cooling "ticking" from the exhaust system. Three dealers have said that it is perfectly normal and the Service Manager at the dealer we use has intimated that we are not the only owners of one with a chronic case. Has anyone else suffered from this?
    The 04 we had previously (no problems in 39 months) only ticked occasionally. This one ticks for a good 10 minutes when we park. the ticking is audible at traffic stops. It is driving us to distraction.
    Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
  • UPDATE: As of today we are working with Impartial Services to replace our vehicle, all we have to do is go pickout another vehicle of the same MSRP and they will exchange it!
  • kragtjkragtj Posts: 4
    juiceman- let us know what kind of car you get and how it compares to the Pacifica.
  • I will, the bad thing is we bought the top of the line paciica with every option you can get except navigation and now we have to get another car with the EXACT same MSRP! WE love the PAcifica and we like the commander but it is 10000 more. She wants a Jeep wrangler but I am kinda iffy about that.
    My Pacifica "ticks" the same as yours. Nothing to worry about.
    My Pac is not AWD and it shudders. I have the new torque converter and am still experiencing the shudder. I have to drop it off on Monday to have the dealership fix it (again). Being as this is the third time, I am sending Chrysler a letter, via certified mail, so that I can start the "LEMON" process. It's unfotunate....good looking car!
  • Just how does the Lemon Law work? We, too, were told we had a solid case for this law (from the service manager at our dealer) and now we are debating what we should do (we like the car, just want to get it fixed). Would we be obligated to pay an attorney to take a look at our situation or do they do this portion up front??
    It depends on your state. Look it up..internet is a good source...just make sure it's reliable info. Some attorneys will do the work up front for little to no cost, especially if you have a strong case. Most Pac owners will as it is like #10 on the list of vehicles with the most successful lemon law cases. #1? VW Passat..I was surprised! Love VW's!!!!!!!!!! The Pacs my wife's.
  • Luckily for us our Service Manager brought it up to us and volunteered the info, he actually contacted Detroit and got the ball rolling. After about 2 weeks sure enough impartial services contacted us and told us what we had to do which seems to very little on our side, just go to any chrysler/jeep/dodge dealer and find an auto witht he same MSRP and tell the sales manager to contact them with the info, @ that point he says it will only take two weeks and the process will be over. We will see if its this easy, you other guys should contact impartial services and see what they say to you! 1-800-215-6230
  • itsmejsitsmejs Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD. It has 63,000 miles on it. It seems many of those miles have been put on just taking it to the dealer to get problems fix. I'm starting to worry about my current problem as my powertrain warranty is up in 7000 miles. My trans is making a screeching noise sometimes when shifting. Has anyone experienced this? If I take it in I would like to have an idea what it is or the dealer is just going to blow me off. Thanks in advance.