Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Problems

Comments

• I bought a used 2007 pacifica and I am now told it already had on tranmission put in it. Dealer said the problem I am having, car shutting off when I try to put it in drive is a torque converter problem. He wants to replace whole transmission. Any Advice? Was there a recall on these torques?
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    You don't say how many miles are on your 07 PAC. I am assuming your PAC is a 4.L with the 6 speed Trans. Our PAC TC was replaced under recall at 7,500 miles. At 72,400 miles the TC went out, and replaced again. The shudder takes about 3,000 miles to retrain the Control Module. It sound like you bought the PAC at a dealer other than a Chrysler dealership? You can call and Chrysler Dealer and ask a service advisor to check your VIN and see what has been done under warranty. The PAC we have is a Touring AWD and we like is very much, best vehicle we have ever had. Last week we got 28 mpg!!!!! We were totally amazed, but the wind was behind us as well, generally we get on a average 24 to 26 mpg. We mow have 85,500 miles on the PAC. Hope this helps.
  • Posted in wrong section earlier. Seems better here:

I have been searching for quite a while for someone who can modify the ECU of my 2007 Pacifica FWD.

At the very least, I want the program changed to hold gears in 'manual' mode "no matter what" (only leave low RPM and high RPM limit in).

I have been changing programs on other cars (either via flashing with programmer, or via sending ECU in to do the change), but have not found ANYBODY to touch the Pacifica ECU.

Can someone please suggest any likely candidates that MIGHT be able to change my ECU?
  • bray81bray81 Posts: 1
    I have the issue right now - I at first thought that it was just jammed into gear since I wasn't driving it at the time ?
    But I started finding allot of others that have had the issue also .
    There is a bad part in these Cryslers and Dodges that causes this a cheap little plastic piece that breaks, it is tied with the saftey feature that you have to push your brake down when you start the car.
    Anyway if you do what the manual tells you you can get the car out of park and drive it until you get it fixed, two pink plastic tabs one on the back right closet to 1st gear and the other which is a little harder to get engaged is the front one its in the middle front just look for a little pink dead center that tab slides forward. Here is the process start car push the brake down push the back pink tab down slide front pink tab shift car from park into gear. you might need two people to do it the first few times. A long flat head screw driver (skinny) works pretty good for the front tab(its pretty tight) you off and running at least to the shop!
  • Bought brand new. Have had 5 things replaced. Lemon Law didn't work. I was ruled against. MY PACIFICA IS A LEMON AND EVERYONE'S GONNA KNOW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I have a 2005 Touring Edition Pacifica. I am the second owner, and the car has 52,000 miles on it. Is the car still warranteed under the 7/70,000 mile powertrain warranty if I'm the second owner?
  • jtg61jtg61 Posts: 43
    Is the car still warranted under the 7/70,000 mile powertrain warranty if I'm the second owner?
    ---------
    The 7/70 warranty included a deductible per repair visit, and coverage was transferable for a fee of $150.
    The lemon Laws are there ONLY as a LAST RESORT!I have posted perhaps as many as 10 or 15 times, the best way to resolve even buy back avenues. I have had several express how greatful they were that they followed my suggestions. Buy the same token I have read many time how they tried the Lemon Law or a Lawer and came away with the sdame issues they started with.

Unfortunately now when you sell or trade your PAC in you are requried by law to disclose your attemp at Lemon Law resolution. That will also be attached in the CarFax and outer places tha tchek you vehicles VIN.

What are your issues? They are seldom as bad as you think, and often if you are willing to eat humble pie and appoligize there may be some mercy from Chrysler or the dealer you bought it from.

I personally have had 15 new Chrysler made vehicles, and two were bought back and replaced by Chrysler! This is unheard of by just about any other vehicle company. Perhaps there might be some hope left for you. Chrysler MUST still honor their warranty, if you have any left. Remember if you traded in this car tomorrow someone else will buy it and it just might be a wonderful vehicle past this point. I woul be willing to give some directions if you want to share what has happened up to this point.

farout
  • hollybarryhollybarry Posts: 11
    Well I am here to tell you that after over 20 attempts at repair, 2-1/2 years, and a Lemon Law court, today I just found out what the problem was (when I put my car into drive sometimes, not every time but a lot, it would make a HUGE, VIOLENT shudder. Nasty god-awful shudder.) They finally found the problem after I can't even tell you how much I've been through. Apparently a piston in the transmission was bad on one side. They are rebuilding it under the warranty. I have had every single thing wrong with that car....too numerous to go even into again, of course with motor mounts being one of them. Farout I've seen many of your posts...why you're so faithful to both Chrysler and this forum is beyond me.
  • jtg61jtg61 Posts: 43
    I brought my 2008 Pacifica to my dealer for an oil change and their computer popped up a Rapid Response Transmittal / Service Action #10-034 Flash: #5 Thrust Bearing Protection. Module, Powertrain Control (PCM) Reprogram. I am not really sure what this is or what it does, but I am happy to have the latest PCM program in my vehicle. I think this highlights why it is a good idea to have your vehicle serviced at the dealer. They charge $29.95 for an oil change and 16 point inspection which is a good deal when they check the computer for service bulletins. In fact, my dealer had a special for an oil change, buy one for $47, get the next three free. You can't beat this deal. But ultimately, this is to let you Pacifica owners know there is a flash update available for the PCM.
  • halchalc Posts: 1
    I had this issue and kept pulling real hard on the shifter until something broke. I could then shift it into gear. However, it no longer springs into park when I shift it in there. What part was replaced to fix this issue? Was it the transmission shift indicator? Any help would be appreciated.
    Well Halc, what year is your PAC? Buy it new or used? 3.5L or 3.8l or 4.L engine? Starting ib 97 Chrysler introduced the 4.L engine and the new (at that time) 6speed automatic. The 6 speed had some problems which should be expected when you buy the first production of such the like.

Best advice is call a Chrysler dealer near you or where you bought it and ask the service center to run a VIN checkand see if thereisan open recall or tsb.

It sounds like something is broke, but thats for the service dept. to say.

farout
  • rose123rose123 Posts: 1
    Just experienced the same thing yesterday. It is the shift mechanism. It freezed up and I was told this is not unusal. But it was not bad to replace and not to costly. Mine has 115,000 miles and this is the first thing I have had go wrong, not bad.
  • I have a 2006 Pacifica Touring with 73,000 miles on it. A month ago it got locked up in park.
    I had it towed to the dealer and it cost about $500 to replace the shifter. Its always shifted rough with a hesitation when you accelerate from lower speeds but now it feels like the transmission is about to fall out and the hesitation is almost a temporary stop. I took it back to the dealer and they told me it had internal damage and wanted $1,000 to drop the transmission and take it apart plus whatever they then found it needed. I've already replaced the engine because I didn't check my oil often enough and didn't realize how bad they burn oil. So I told the dealer put it back together, charge me you inspection fee and I'll trade the piece of junk in on a Honda. I'll never own another Chrysler!!!!
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    "I'll trade the piece of junk in on a Honda"

Sorry for your Pacifica Problems, but when buying a Honda you can expect the same transmission problems. Google "Honda transmission problems"

The Honda engines are great, but when hooked up to poorly designed a/ts, what's the point?
    edited September 2011
    Let me see if I got you right. Your engine is messed up because you failed to check it often enough. Your tranny is messed up also. And you did not get a Chrysler Service Contract right? Too much money? It sure seems it would have paid you back to protect you investment better.

There is not a vehicle made that runs for long with our keeping up on oil changes, checking the oil and changing the tranny fluid on a regular basis.

Even an Army Tank needs regular oil changes! Big expensive need care too.

Hondas are great cars just like Chrysler Pacifica's....if you go by the owners manual........its the little book in the dash. Have you ever read it?

Pacifica's will last a long time IF YOU take care of it.

By farout 07 Pac Touring AWD 109,800 and going strong. Very well protected investment we made!
  • Hi, we have a 2006 Pacifica having some of the same problems. Only mine had been making that horrendus thud in when going into reverse. We have had it looked at when under warranty and said there was no problem jus a noise it made when shifting. Then as soon as out warranty was up within 500 miles it quit shifting into reverse, and stating need a new transmission. We bout it used so didn't have chrysler gurantee. I should have pushed the issue when had the warranty. Have you had any issues with the battery getting drained suddenly for not apparent reason, or it not starting and then an hour later starting jus fine...or the key getting stuck in the ignition. I know this was a while back, but the only post I could see that were having the same kind of issues. thank you
  • tbar2tbar2 Posts: 2
    hi, I have on '05 PAC. Must we use Chrysler Transmission fluid on these cars ? someone mentioned something.. any word ?
  • Good afternoon, Well I have a 2007 AWD Pacifica and had a very nice experience with it yesterday. Driving here in good ole Chicago heading to work on the toll road with NO warning or anything my transmission decided to die. I had to have it towed 48 miles back home to a transmission repair shop (I know the owner) to have them look at it. Last night they called me to tell my I lost the torque converter and today I will find out if there is anything else wrong. Like I said NO WARNING....No service engine light, no trans light, no oil light only when I would put the car into park and restart then put it into gear to try to move to the side of the road did the oil light appear. Has anyone else experience this issue and what was the outcome. I did email Chrysler about the problem but from what I am reading seems like they wont do anything about it. I bought this vehicle used and had the trans serviced just after since I didn't know how the previous owner drove it. Until now I have had no real issues with this vehicle and all my driving or at least 98% of it is highway.
    edited December 2011
    HOLD IT! DON'T LET ANYONE TOUCH THIS TRANSMISSION! There is recall on these torque converters! If you bought it used the odds are in your favor it might not cost you anything. Call a Chrysler dealership, give your VIV# to the Service rep and see if it was ever replaced.

Many transmission shope try to be honest. I hove found only one or two I have ever used. They do NOT know about recalls and want the $ so it does not pay for them to call and see. The 2007 PAC was Chryslers first vehicle to use the brand new 6 speed trans. It requires special fluid, and if the shop does not use the special kind you will be tottally replacing the whole trans.

How many miles on yor PAC? We had the torque Converter replaced at about 6,000 and again at 72,000. Bothe were recalls, the last one just went out all ar once.

Personally I ALways go to the Chrysler dealership. The service is the best I have ever had, and their prices are cheaper than most private repair shops. But I also know not all dealerships are the same. Perhaps Missouri has a more honest and better work ethic than other places.

We now have 113,500 on our PAC. I will say that at 110,00 miles is when we had the timing belt replaced and the belt tentioner was all but broken. So do not neglect the timing belt and the spark plug replacement, it is a must and will add years to your driving. The tune up and the water pump repacement and the timing belt cost a total of $ and coolant replacement cost less than $600. I doubt you will find that anywhere else. So check and see at severla places.

I sure would like to know how this turns out, good luch. Merry Christmass!