Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Problems

Comments

• My (BRAND-NEW like you) 2007 Pac had the vibration at 50mph, and I took it in 4 times to fix it. They replaced wheel bearings, rotated, balanced tires, etc...finally, I took it in the last time and told them to REALLY find the problem. TWO MONTHS LATER, they call me today to let me know it's ready.

They rplaced the transfer case about a month ago, and when I went to pick it up, the vibration had lessened, but was still there. At this point, they've replaced the transfer case, replaced the left wheel bearings TWICE, and installed a new motor mount.

I contacted a lawyer (In VA, car has to be in for 30 days in a year's period for the same problem to classify as lemon law), and we'll see what Chrysler comes back with about a buy-back.

The motor mount is what bothers me...they said it would reduce the vibration from the transfer case, but isn't that like fixing broken glasses with duct tape? They're STILL BROKEN, just functional!

I've heard grumblings of a "silent recall" on Chrysler's part regarding the '07 Pac...anyone else heard the same?
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    waterdr: I read your concern and then looked it up in my owners manual to make sure what I am saying is a fact. In schedule B by the the "Change the All Wheel Drive (AWD) power transfer unit fluid. (See note at the end of this chart)" Then at the end it refers to <> at the begining of the schedule. And it says Trailer towing<>
    Taxi, police, or delivery service (commercial service. <>
    These are to conditions that demand the 15,000 mile service of the Transfer case and the differential. Spark plugs are listed at 102,000 miles.
    So if you tow a trailer just once in a while it still is not required.
    If you think that 15,000 miles under the above conditions are bad then don't consider a Jeep because they ALL require these services at every 12,000 miles on all true 4x4's. Hope this clears it up for you.

farout
    knuckleneck: Welcome to the forum. Have they replaced the Torque Converter, that has a recall and should have been done long time ago!
    It does seem like the dealer is attempting to get it fixed, so that's in your favor.
    Having had a buy back in April 07, Chrysler was more than fair to us , and we were very pleased how everything was handled. We had a 05 Jeep Liberty diesel, which had been in the shop 25 times in 16 months. Chrysler called me, and asked if I would like them to refer this vehicle to a manager who just might take it to the Zone rep. Ir all started on Feb 16th and was done by April 4th 07.
    Our mistake was selecting a Jeep Compass for the new vehicle. The Compass is a very cheaply made vehicle, and fuel mileage was 21 mpg and had no power and the CVT is a poor excuse for a transmission. SO on Aug. 31 07 we bought the PAC touring AWD. Very pleased but has the shuddering, and there will be a fix soon. Heck we got the Lifetime Powertrain, and the Lifetime Max care too. So I have time on my side and a daren good vehicle to boot!
    Hope this helps some.

farout
  • waterdrwaterdr Posts: 307
    Thanks Man!

I looked last night (but now I don't recall the details) and the book is REALLY confusing. It talks about x-fer case at 15k, rear diff at 22k, and front at 30k and then it is due for the transfer case AGAIN. There is an A and a B schedule as you said and we don't tow. Also the plugs are due at 75k in my book.

I will double-check.

Keep in mind it was the dealer that told me I had to do everything at 15k and also the plugs at 30k. Seems like someone is getting carried away.

I have always been good about maint on my cars, but I don't go crazy. In my Suburban I did all the fluids at 50k....15k seems insane.

I have a 100k bumper to bumper and will probably keep it for 100 to 150k. I just don't want them pushing back on any warranty issues.

BTW, the car has been great.....perfect....no issues (knock on wood).

The only thing I have noticed is that at about 40 mph, under light load, and going up a small incline it will tend to bog, or rumble a little bit. The rpms are very low when this happens and it seems to be in 6th gear which is too much gear. A little more gas causes a proper downshift.
    OK....just double-checked, I wa slooking in the wrong book and I see what you are talking about.

However, under the "severe" every 15k it recomends the fluids but then there is an * indicating towing etc.... It never says when you should change when you don't tow. Under "normal" service, it never calls to replace the fluids at all.
  • Just bought an 07 4.0L AWD, 8500km. Felt the shuddering on a hill for the first time today. Just wondering if there are any people from Ontario who have dealt with this issue before I take it in. I have read the posts about a service bulletin and I want to go about this the right way. I'm not sure if anyone has had enough problems in Canada to have the vehicle bought back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way I did casually mention that I had heard of the shuddering issue the first time in the dealer and as you can imagine they had no idea about it.
    Waterdr: You may have the 1st edition owners manual, which is out of date for the 4.l engine. The 2nd edition says 102,000 miles for plugs on both schedule A & B. By the way Chrysler wants $52. for the airconditioner filter, which is schuled for replacement every 12,000 miles! Napa has it for under $30. Oil filter isn't cheap either!

farout
    Well, since I live in the Twin Cities, I don't hardley run the air conditioning, so it looks like I can skip that one.
  • Hey superguy,
    I'm from Toronto with an '07 Pac Touring that had the shuddering problem. See my posts on this thread (#25 & #27). Last April I had the torque converter replaced which reduced but did not eliminate the shuddering. Two months ago we took it in for re-alignment and the mechanic/technician noticed that the control arms needed to be replaced. Can't say I noticed much difference in the shuddering after that. However, about three weeks ago the shuddering stopped; the only thing that coincides with this was our inadvertent switch to using PetroCanada mid-grade gas. I'm not making any claims with that statement. There may have been something else done at our service appointment two months ago that caused the shuddering to eventually go away. Don't know.

Anyway, I would ask your dealer to locate the service bulletin and/or give them the TSB number (from post # 232). That way they're prepared to deal with it ahead of time, there's no dispute about the existence of the issue and they will have the parts on hand when you bring your car in. No need to wait days to get your car repaired. Best of luck. Hope it works out for you.
    Interesting....would someone please describe the shudder? How severe is it? When does it happen? Does it feel like a missfire, or is it trully drive train related?

A missfire can be slight, or violent AND, often times they do not "pop" a code. Modern technicians have completely forgotten how to troubleshoot, they just hook-up code readers, start ruling crap out, and then start replacing parts.

If changing fuel "fixed" you problem, you either have a fluke, the problem is really not fixed, or it is in fact fuel related.....such as timing.

I have an idea.....you guys who claim to have this issue should find a good tuner in your area. Spend $50 - $100 and get the car on a dyno. The tuner can replicate the situation while on the rollers and data-log everything. Plus, they can use listening devices such as a stethoscope to look for knock and missfire condition.

Unless you are sure this is a drivetrain issue, I think the dyno might be a good option.

The tuner may even be able to correct the issue on the spot.

BTW, I have personal experience with working with tuners and have had them reprogram my ECU before to accounts for after-market modifications.
  • Hi All,

I had the torque converter replaced in my 07 Pacifica a few thousand miles ago and it seems to have fixed the shudder most here have been experiencing but now have another transmission problem.

I live in the Twin Cities where the temperatures have been dipping well below zero degrees the past month or so. With the temperatures near or below zero degrees, the transmission will not lock into overdrive on random days. I commute 27 miles each direction to work which should be ample time for the transmission to achieve proper operating temperature. The dealer recently tried to computer flash the transmission to no avail and claim they have not seen this problem in other Pacificas.

Has anyone else living in areas with colder temperatures been experiencing this issue?

TIA
    I also live in the Twin Cities and have not experienced this.
    Temperature is not you problem, the TC has a lockup clutch inside and it is not locking up. The Chrysler knows that in some PAC's the new TC solves the problem nad others don't .
  • mrrogersmrrogers Posts: 391
    I went to the Alldata website to check out TSB #21-016-07, and it is not listed for either the 2007 Pacifica with the 4.0 engine or the 3.8 engine. I am trying to find out what the VIN number or date of manufacture is for the 2007 Pacificas that have the new, improved torque converter. Any ideas?
  • Mr. Rogers; Hope it's a lovely day in the neighborhood, because if your service manager will tell you the truth. They will tell you the same thing, three service managers at different dealerships told me. "There is no fix, you will just have to live with it."
    Ofcourse people in my neighborhood pride themselves on being honest. They say , that in so many words thats exactly what the engineers told us. Good luck, You will need it. :sick:
    mrrogers: Some have found a fix in replacing thr TC. However there are those of us that are just lucky enough to have the TC replaced with not so good of results. Chrysler is aware that on some PAC's the TC replacement has worked, and some the reflash has done the trick. Your dealer would know if they have been in contact with Star that there are new reflashes being tested now and that it might be required to replace the TC again. The problem is that this new 6speed aautomatic is fast shifting, and the TC doesn't work as it should with the engine rpm. That ia what I ave been told by my Service Manager.
    By the way my PAC was made on Dec. 12, 2006. We know that at least there was an issue then. AS to when the 4.L engine and the 6 speed went into production I am not sure. The 1st edition of the Owners manual had little to say about that engine, and a 2nd edition was made to include the corrected information.

farout
    The people who told you that were attempting to get you out of their way. What "engineers" told such a thing? Darn sure were not from Chrysler! No one will say they are an engineer at Chrysler unless you are one talking to another one. Chrysler folks do read these once in a while, and I will bet ya they get a laugh out of what is said that they said.
    If this was unfixable there would be a massive buy back as there was with the Jeep Liberty diesel.

farout
    Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. I want to replace my 2006 Pacifica next month. My first choice would be a 2008, but as you know they did not build very many before production was halted. The dealers seem to have a fair amount of 2007 models on the lots. I would love to find out when the factory started putting the new, improved torque convertor in the 2007's. It appears that based on your date of manufacture, December 12, 2006, that they had not begun using the new, improved convertor yet. I wish I could get a date of manufacture and/or a serial number that would signify that the new torque convertor is installed.
  • I would suggest that you get the 08 the savings are marginal vs 07 models and you have the new converter, first take a road test and drive it at low speeds and highway speed reach 50 mph still there and go back to the gas slowly if you feel nothing there is o.k...
    good luck..
  • Far Out;
    All along in reading your post, I have known you were a Chrysler employee. Only soneone from Chrysler would take such a violent swing at the truth. I on the other hand don't have anything to prove. What I said in my post is 100% true and if you were to reveal yourself 100%, my attorneys and I will be glad to prove it not only to you, but to the good people who use this site. Go ahead and laugh some more, I dont think it is something to laugh about, when there is so much money involved.
    mrrogers: If you go to www.arifleet.com/production.html this is the production schedule for the major American vehicles. The Pacifica FWD has a 6-8 week lead time and the AWD has a 8-10 week lead time. You can see every vehicle Chrysler, dodge, and jeep make The cut off time for ordering a Pacifica is not even suggested. Chrysler did say this is the last year for the Pacifica. Maybe in May the PAC will hault production.
    Personally I like the 2007 as the two tail pipes looks sporty, and some things in the Touring have changed.
    You can call the dealer and ask them when the new type of TC was started. I have no idea.
    I talked with my dealer Service manager today and Chrysler would like to replace my TC once again. Heck I don't like having it in the shop for 2 and 1/2 days, but we get a vehicle because we have the Max Care service Contract. Besides the powertrain is warrantied for life, so that's no biggy for me.
    Hope this helps.

farout
    johnhenryhoeha: I have been called some odd things, but being a Chrysler employee is kind, and even nice. I am a retired minister ! Perhaps you should go the the Jeep Liberty CRD forum or the Jeep Compass 4x4 sections, and read what I have posted in them. I am sure you will get a better balanced perspective on me.
    I hear your anger, you have a right to pursue anything you feel will work for you to resolve your issues with your PAC. In your six posts you come forth as struggling to fine a way to resolve the issues with Chrysler about your PAC. However, your shooting such a wide shotgun pattern, that you are getting so little bang for your effort.
    In an effort to help you get a better aim at your desired effect, I offer a few suggestions. You need to out fox the fox. Your anger will only get negative results! Learn to win people over to your view point. Do not down grade the Chrysler or the workers, either in the shop or those who have not been so nice. Chrysler hears all day long about someone is going to hire a attorney and sue them for every last dime. Friend, that will never happen, you are wasting your breath, and making people mad who just might be willing to help, if your attitude was different. The most you can hope for is for Chrysler to either fix the problems, give you a buy back, where you pick a replacement Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle, and pay so much a mile for the use you have put on the PAC.
    Patients is the Golden Key to get what you want. You need to go to the Service manager and tell him you want the Zone Representative to see if a buy back is possible. Next go to the Dealership manager and tell him the same thing. Then Call 800 992 1997 Customer Care and talk with a rep. Tell them all you have been through, they will call the dealer and follow up to make sure they are doing what you asked. While doing this take time to praise anyone you can about how much you appreciate their help. Brag on how the dealer si trying but is stumped, but doing what they can.
    IF you have indeed talked with some engineer's at Chrysler tell them that and what you have been told. However if this is second hand or maybe stretched out truth I would not even go there! Be 100% truthful !
    This total process is not a quick transaction. We started our buy back on our 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD on Feb, 16, 2007 and got the new 2007 Jeep Compass 4x4 on April 4, 2007. we finished all the final paper work on May 5, 2007. We were charged .05 cents a mile,the lowest anyone has heard of, as we were told.
    Using a attorney is not cheap! The Lemon Law is with an arbratrator and they make a decision that is final. I went with going directly with Chrysler, and turned out much better that the Lemon Law could have done. Chrysler wants satisfied owners, and they know whats right, and I believe that given the respect and willingness to work with Chrysler to make things right, you will be pleased with the results.
    So friend, cool your jets, remember you win this situation or blow it, it's strictly up to you and your attitude.
    I have heard that at times Chrysler does read these posts, and darn well they should, it;s good feed back for their products. You can bet the other vehicle makers read their posts as well. Remember a gentle answer turns away anger.

farout (not Far Out)
  • farout is 100% on the money. I had two TC replacements, several flashes, etc. nothing worked. I followed the advice given by farout back in December. I just got off the phone with Chrysler about 20 min ago and they said that my new Town and Country is due to arrive on Monday, February 18th. Chrysler and ISG were extremely easy to deal with. They even told me that if I couldn't find anything on a lot in the DC Metro area that I wanted, they would build me what I wanted....can't beat that!!!!!! :)
    david613: I am pleased to hear that Chrysler worked it out with you! How much per mile are you having to pay? Did Chrysler give you any idea why they are having a hard time getting the TC fixed?
    Good news, glad to hear from you!

farout
  • Thanks to all that have posted about the TC. I got the service manager to look up the service bulletin and they have ordered the parts. We will see. Anyone experiencing MPG in the 13 range for city driving. OUCH. Especially when I am hearing people getting above 18 MPG in the city. 07 AWD 4.0L 8500kms in cold Canada. Not a lead foot; any thoughts?
    Thanks for the advice about the roadtest. Prior to your post, I was not sure if the problem is noticeable right away, or if the car needs to be driven for several days.
    I appreciate your information that the Pacifica is still in production. I had the idea that they stopped producing them at the end of November 2007?
    I was able to get my hands on Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) Number 21-002-07 Rev.B. This bulletin involves reprogramming the Power Control Module (PCM) with new software and replacing the torque converter as required. This bulletin applies to Pacificas built on or before December 15, 2006. It appears that Pacificas built after December 15, 2006 have the new improved converter.
    Thereare a few other TSB's that go along with this, reprogram Controler 21-008-07 REV.A and 21-016-07 which was the TC replacement ans reflash. So it appears to me these are more recent than the number you have. Either way the Service manager is talking with Star to see if they want to try a secomt r&r of the TC. I am sure they will find the solution, I have more time than money and I an willing to try again. This Transmission was new for Chrysler as was the 4. L engine. The engine out preformes any V-8 I have ever had. If all eles fails they can replace the whole transmission as far as I am concerned. So I will take it one step at a time, and be thankful for every effort made to correct the problem. I like everything about the PAC except one thing! It isn't paid for yet.
    How did you hear that Dec. 15 is the cut off for the new TC/ I have not heard about that. Mine was made on Dec. 12, 2006 3 days short!

farout
    I am sorry that you missed out on the new torque converter by only three days. The TSB 21-002-07 Rev. B states that it applies to Pacificas built on or before December 15, 2006. I am assuming that the Pacificas built after December 15, 2006 have the new improved converter.
    Question? If what they installed on Dec. 3, 07 was not the improved TC, then what do you think it was? I have 2,700 miles on it already from that date and a total miles on the pAC is 10,300 miles. Heck I sure hope what the put in last time was NOT the "new and improved one" or there is a problem. LOL

farout