Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Engine Problems

124»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    6 coils, really?

My 4 cylinder Forester had just one single ignition coil.

I replaced it ($80) when chipmunks chewed up the wiring around it.
  • Yeah 6 coils. I just confirmed it today with the mechanic. Each cylinder had its own and one of them (coil for cylinder 2) burned up which in-turn blew a safety fuse that controlled cylinders 2,4 and 6. The car wouldnt start at all. I was told that the car needs at least 2 of the 4 cylinders to start. All said and done, its going to cost me $240 to replace the coil that burned up and to replace the fuse that blew. Im going to pick it up tomorrow. Ill let everyone know how it runs.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,794
    My 4 cylinder Forester had just one single ignition coil.

More manufacturers are changing from a single coil and going to one for each plug. It eliminates the distributor and improves ignition performance.
  • since the 2008 tribeca has increased horsepower than the 2006-2007, can you change the ECM on the older units to a 2008 ECM and pick up the increased hp since it is using the 2008 fuel programming? :confuse:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The engine is very different - it went from 3.0l to 3.6l, longer stroke, dog-leg piston shafts, etc. I'd guess it would not run at all.
124»
This discussion has been closed.