Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Engine Problems

1235»

Comments

• cuse2cuse2 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Tribeca with 30,000 miles. A couple days after we had it I drove it up a long (200 yard) hill and noticed that it shudders slightly on the way up. It is smooth as can be under any other conditions. Any thoughts on what this could be. Thanks.
  • 3135js3135js Posts: 1
    I am new to this forum. I have a 09 B9 Tribeca and I find that I am adding 1 qt of oil every 800 miles. The selling dealer claims this is normal. I have owned Hondas, Toyotas, Jeeps, all with several hundred thousands of miles that never used a quart between oil changes. How is it that a more modern engine is consuming so much oil? How do you proceed with the dealer/Subaru in getting this situation resolved?
    3135js
  • mistyone1mistyone1 Posts: 5
    I have notice that when I do high speed highway driving, my oil consumption increases. during a trip, I alwayways have to check it. The dealer will only say that is normal, like you i generally do not add oil between oil changes on other cars. I had to get the manager to do a oil consumption test in which every 1000 miles you have to bring it in to the dealer to verify the oil level. When they told me that losing a 1 1/2 is normal. I rgued with them and they agree to do a compression check. Everything checked ou to their specs and they found nothing wrong. I am still losing oil and notice that it only happens during stressful condition on the boxer engine. If it is still under warranty, have them do the test, oyur consumption seems excessive. I also think that using 5w-30 is the problem.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    1 quart per 1000 miles is the industry norm, 800 miles exceeds that, albeit slightly.

What weight are you using? Dino or Synthetic?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    edited June 2010
    Just for reference, with a 2.5L SOHC, I put 7500 miles on my car, replaced the oil filter, and added a quart to top it off. Since then, I have put another 3500 miles on it and it still is barely under the full mark on the dipstick. Granted, this is the four versus six cylinder engine, but 1-quart per 800 miles is definitely excessive.

Oh, and I use synthetic.
  • sweetpetesweetpete Posts: 15
    >> 1 quart per 1000 miles is the industry norm.

That's surprising, at least to me.

My '07 with 64k miles burns NO oil, which is great, since I use expensive Mobil 1 (0W-30).
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    >> 1 quart per 1000 miles is the industry norm.

That's surprising, at least to me.

My '07 with 64k miles burns NO oil, which is great, since I use expensive Mobil 1 (0W-30).

I think what juice meant was that burning up to 1 qt per 1000 miles is an accepted tolerance in the industry. Anything less than that is acceptable.
  • mistyone1mistyone1 Posts: 5
    I change my own also and use Castrol Syntethic blend 5w-30 and normal dring in the city it does'nt lost any, the minute I go on the intersate and in the mountains, I lose about 1-2 qts.
    edited June 2010
    Correct.

Lately none of my engines burns any noticeable levels of oil, knock on wood.

My 1995 Mazda 626 did, a little. Still less than a quart between oil changes, though.
  • There is a separate coil for each cylinder. My 2006 Tribeca is currently in the shop having one of them replaced as it was misfiring and after a month of on and off misfiring it actually burned out while I was on my way to the mechanic to replace it. I thought bad gas as well, but I always use Hi-Test (93) and have used different gas stations. When I first had the misfiring I also used a gas treatment. It seemed to work but the issue came back again. Ignition coil ran me about 160 installed.
    6 coils, really?

My 4 cylinder Forester had just one single ignition coil.

I replaced it ($80) when chipmunks chewed up the wiring around it.
  • Yeah 6 coils. I just confirmed it today with the mechanic. Each cylinder had its own and one of them (coil for cylinder 2) burned up which in-turn blew a safety fuse that controlled cylinders 2,4 and 6. The car wouldnt start at all. I was told that the car needs at least 2 of the 4 cylinders to start. All said and done, its going to cost me $240 to replace the coil that burned up and to replace the fuse that blew. Im going to pick it up tomorrow. Ill let everyone know how it runs.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    My 4 cylinder Forester had just one single ignition coil.

More manufacturers are changing from a single coil and going to one for each plug. It eliminates the distributor and improves ignition performance.
  • since the 2008 tribeca has increased horsepower than the 2006-2007, can you change the ECM on the older units to a 2008 ECM and pick up the increased hp since it is using the 2008 fuel programming? :confuse:
    The engine is very different - it went from 3.0l to 3.6l, longer stroke, dog-leg piston shafts, etc. I'd guess it would not run at all.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.