Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Keeps You Loyal To A Brand?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    My '99 Quest (assembled by Ford in Ohio) seems pretty good, especially considering my maintenance habits. The stuff coming out of the newish Canton MS factory has had a lot of growing pains. Pf_Flyer has had several Nissans over the last couple of decades and he likes to put a couple hundred thousand miles on them. Hopefully he'll have similar luck with his new Versa.

While I think the (Japanese) drivetrain on my Quest is good (touching wood at 119,500 miles), my next car will be based on the most bang for the buck. Just like the Quest was, and the Voyager before it, and the good old '82 Toyota too. The other car here now is a Subaru, so I guess I'm most loyal to my bank account. :shades:
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,575
    Pf_Flyer has had several Nissans over the last couple of decades and he likes to put a couple hundred thousand miles on them. Hopefully he'll have similar luck with his new Versa.

While I'm not really a fan of little cars, I've thought about trying to force myself into something smaller and more fuel-effient the next time I buy a new/new-ish car. I checked out the Versa when it first came out. Not a bad little car, although the driving position was a bit tight for me, with respect to legroom.
    He seems to manage ok.

Move-In-Day

edited July 2011
    "Kelly says Korean car maker Hyundai took over the top spot on its brand-loyalty list for the second quarter, moving ahead of Honda and Toyota, two mainstays at the top of the list.

The change could indicate Hyundai is finally leaving behind the upstart status it has been unable to completely shake since arriving in the U.S. in the mid-1980s."

Hyundai Tops Toyota, Honda in Loyalty Study (Wall St. Journal)

The "loyalty" may just be a reflection of gas prices:

Hyundai MPG Focus Nets U.S. Sales Boost (AutoObserver)

"Hyundai said last week that it's selling more U.S. vehicles that get at least 40 miles per gallon highway than the rest of the auto industry combined, indicating that the South Korean automaker is using its emphasis on fuel economy to overcome past questions of reliability and close the gap with better known imports such as Toyota and Honda."

And the earthquake and recalls before that haven't helped Japanese automakers.

"It remains to be seen if Toyota’s brand has fully shaken the safety-recall catastrophe of 2010. Significant new products will remain spare except for Camry. Even the newly expanded Prius lineup, starved out of production by parts shortages for most of the second quarter, may find a less-than-fevered reception among American consumers as gas prices level off. Honda still must find ways to regenerate enthusiasm for its brand in a market where many rivals now equal its quality and functionality. Nissan has fared best of the three in recovering from the disaster and was able to report an 11-percent increase in June sales while its two big rivals declined."

12 Factors To Watch In Industry's Second Half
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sign of the times, perhaps, but let's remember the Japanese brands had a serious handicap on the supply side for all cars from the quake-affected island.
  • Only thing that keeps people loyal to a brand is emotion... Which is bad for business I really could care less about the brand of car as long as im getting a reliable car that looks good. People get way to emotionally attached and the car companies love it im sure. If I could just tell those emotionally attached people one thing it would be the car companies don't care about you all they want is whats in your wallet! = )
    "Just because Pontiac customers can't buy a G8 anymore doesn’t mean they're leaving the GM umbrella. Nearly 40 percent of Pontiac owners who traded in for a new car in 2011 opted for another GM vehicle."

Pontiac Owners Remain Loyal to GM, Edmunds.com Study Says (Inside Line)
    They did well compared to other GM brands, sure, but Honda and Ford retain 62% loyalty, per JD Power, so I still wouldn't call that good overall.

GM loses fewer Pontiac customers compared to other brands, that's how I'd say it. The majority still bail.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,575
    Nearly 40 percent of Pontiac owners who traded in for a new car in 2011 opted for another GM vehicle."

That's because Hertz, Avis, et al buy Malibus and Impalas now, instead of Grand Prixes, Bonnevilles, G6'es, and G5's. :blush:
    The study actually said GM.

So the rental agencies must be buying Chrysler 200s and Fusions. ;)
    edited November 2011
    "But one thing that has been highlighted by all of Chevrolet’s new-product successes is the glaring reality that General Motors hasn’t been able to develop a modern brand presence for Chevy to match its vehicles. In his 18 months as GM’s chief marketing officer, Joel Ewanick has been trying gamely to shape a historically iconic American brand into an even more effective modern marquee in North America that also, for the first time, would resonate as a global brand as well."

Chevrolet Hoping Brand Catches Up With Products (AutoObserver)

"Send in the clones. The virtually identical 2013 Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ make a mockery of the idea that a brand's identity matters.

The BRZ and FR-S take badge engineering -- the notion that you can put two brand logos on a single vehicle and convince people they're unique and different -- to depths not seen since General Motors decimated the value of its Pontiac brand with identi-cars like the Pontiac G5, which was a barely disguised Chevrolet Cobalt."

Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ are almost identical (Detroit Free Press)
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,885
    Some brands have more equity to a potential buyer than others, even if they aren't technically "loyal". In my case, the Subaru brand is a lot more appealing than Scion.
    It's a bit easier for me to get to a Scion dealer but there's not a huge difference. Limited experience but the Scion dealer in Boise seemed much less slimy than the Subaru dealer when I went for quotes. New building too.
    I just don't like the marketing-driven existence of Scion, nor the rest of their lineup, which previously has been plain old beige with a dash of faux-hip. At least Subaru has been something different, and has some history of a few cars for enthusiasts.
    Funny, because I think Subaru lost its way a bit with the bigger, SUVier wagons. Still like the Forester a lot though. Could easily live with an xD too though.
    Luckily, Subaru still has the Impreza, with genuinely sporty versions. All Scion has for sport is the tC, which is a sports coupe for someone too boring or timid to pursue anything actually interesting or fun.

I do like how Scion was aimed at young buyers, but was embraced by the active boomer crowd. Says something about the fun to drive factor, maybe.
    Either that or us oldsters have seen it all and want something that's practical (hatches and wagons) and don't need to be seen driving a tuner.
    Scion does have practicality. Cars that would have been Tercel and Corolla variants before marketing became king.

Or maybe the arthritis/aching joints make the low entry of tuned cars hard, and the encroaching senility makes remembering the shift patterns troublesome :shades:
    edited November 2012
    Funny, but I can do child pose all day long but I'd much rather ease into my minivan than fold down into my Outback.