Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are all the Sonoma owners ?

floridianfloridian Posts: 219
edited April 2 in GMC
Has any one out there had any experience with a
four cylinder Sonoma ? A S-10 Chevy would be the
same I guess. I "obtained" A 2000 Sonoma in a
business deal, brand new, 5 miles on the thing,
never titled. In driving it I find it is terribly
underpowered, seems to me anyway. It is a automatic
to boot. It has to be really spun up on the
tachometer to get ANY acceleration to speak of and
with the A/C on the kids on heir bikes can almost
out drag me away from a light. Should I keep this
"sled" or trade it in for another Ranger? Comments
please.

Floridian

Comments

• lchiassonlchiasson Posts: 1
    For what it's worth: Drive a comparably equipped Ranger and see for yourself. This is the only way you can be absolutely sure. Some people take too much pride in who makes their vehicle and are very likely to give a biased opinion and or comment(s).
  • delmont88delmont88 Posts: 1
    I bought a '91 Sonoma brand new (4.3 engine, manual trans.) and have been very pleased. I'm in the process of turning over 170,000 miles. Other than your normal maintenance, I have only replaced the air conditioner, water pump, and the brakes (twice). I have been very pleased!
  • dmoulddmould Posts: 76
    I'm currently shopping for a new small truck. I test drove a 2000 stepside ZQ8 with the 4.3 manual, and was suprised to find the thing pretty gutless. The transmission and clutch worked well, and the truck handled nice, but I expected the truck to light up the tires in 1st gear, and it wouldn't. My 2.9L Ranger would give it a run out of the hole. I also tested a Dakota Clubcab 4.7 manual, and that thing was sweet - I wanted to buy it on the spot, but my finances aren't all in place yet. I'll probably wait to try the 4.0LSOHC manual 2001 Ranger when it comes out this fall. Bottom line - even though I could buy the Sonoma through work below cost, and get 0.9 financing, I wouldn't buy it because I wouldn't be happy.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Posts: 314
    I dont know about the truck you drove, if it had something wrong with it, but my '99 4.3 has plenty of power and I can light 'em up anytime, even with the automatic transmission.
  • eforstereforster Posts: 1
    I own the 1998 model. Although 'gutless' in low gears, It's a true sports truck when you get it to full speed. It will do rural winding roads at 60 MPH. No other truck can come close.
  • fuq95fuq95 Posts: 1
    You ain't kidding. I just bought a '97 extended cab with the 4-cylender and it's SLOW. I have the 5 speed transmission so that helps a little. I think the only people that put power into small trucks are the Japanese. I traded in my 87 toyota and it would blow the doors off the Sonoma -- ha ha. And to top things off, my Sonoma governs out at 91MPH. But I have to admit that it handles great and has a really smooth ride. I just got back from vacation where I got 360 miles out of the tank of gas. That's not too bad with it loaded down in the back carrying my wife, 2 kids and myself. I'm sure that there is a computer chip somewhere that can replaced to give you a little more power. If you find one, let me know.
  • kylep2kylep2 Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 Sonoma about 2 wks. ago. I ended up with the 4 cyl. 5spd. manual--I think it has pretty decent pickup. I was going between a Ford and the GMC--drove a Ford 4cyl. automatic--what a dog, it didn't feel like it could even get out of its own way. Plus Ford dealers didn't seem to anxious to make a sale. I'm hoping I made the right choice--it's my first GMC--we'll see how it goes.......
  • My first Pickup and US make is 2000 Sonoma. I got the 4 cl. After driving a manual, 4WS prelude I was little unhappy about the slow pickup of the sonoma. But after 3 months I am happy now with the smooth ride and ok pickup. You have to remember you are not to race with a 4 cl. sonoma.
  • Can anyone give me some feedback on a 6 cyl. Sonoma?
  • I have a Sonoma twin...the S10, its a V6. What feedback do you need?
  • zonkzonk Posts: 208
    I heard that GM was putting a 4 door crew cab for the Sonoma/S-10 for the 2001 model year. Anyone else hear about this?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    its coming out probably spring 01

They had em at the autoshow last yr

Ryan
  • zonkzonk Posts: 208
    Thanks, Ryan. I have checked with the Chevy and GM dealers in the area and they "think" they might be getting a couple in in the Nov-Dec timeframe for folks to look at and drive, build up some interest. Kind of like the Dakota Quad Cab did last year. I would think they might start some ad campaigns pretty soon.
  • bobs5bobs5 Posts: 557
    The 4 door crew cabs are arriving. Saw one when I passed the Greenbrook Pontiac dealer here in N.J.
  • bblackbblack Posts: 2
    I bought my second Sonoma in June. I traded in my 94 regular cab for a 2000 Extended cab. Both with the 4.3 V6. Plenty of power with it. I am very happy with the low seats extended cab as I'm 6'1" and my son is 6'3" so we both fit with plenty of head and leg room. The seats go back farther than the regular cab. Other trucks seemed smaller because the seats were higher not allowing for taller individuals. I have installed a tonuea cover which adds to the sportiness of the 2000. The only thing I had to replace on the 94 were the brakes once, the starter and the fuel tank. Never get passenger shocks and hall gravel over stumps in your yard! The fuel pump is in the gas tank, it gets pushed up (stump in yard) the fuel pump shorts out and your stuck.
  • I have a 99 reg cab V6 S10 that I'm very happy with. I will be replacing it with a 2001 V6 S10. I your opinion, is the extended cab worth the extra $$$. I use it for commuting 90% of the time.
  • Should be "in your opinion"
  • I have owned three v-6, 4wd, ext. cab GMC's. An 85 S-15, an 89 S-15, and a 95 Sonoma. All three have been real good trucks. For me, I would not consider a regular cab. Sure the ext. cab is more money, but the extra room is well worth it to me. Being able to recline the seat back a little if you are 6 feet or over is a big deal on a long trip. Also, being able to throw something behind the seat is real handy too.
    I am about to replace the 89 S-15 with a 2001 Sonoma 4.3, 4wd, ext. cab. One concern I have is this. My 95 is equipped the same way, I get 18 mpg. around town and 21 or better highway. I see that the EPA estimates have been lowered for 2001 to 15/18 from 16/21 for 2000. The dealer has no explanation, and as near as I can tell there have been no mechanical changes that would cause this kind of drop in mileage. I contacted GMC customer assistance and they were no help at all. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
  • bblackbblack Posts: 2
    I feel the ext. cab is well worth the $$$. I use mine for commuting also. It's more comfortable than the reg cab for me. I guess it's a convenience in the northwest for stowing things quickly, rather than trying to unlock and open the lids on a utility box in a down pour.
  • The 2nd gen S truck reg cabs are definately bigger than the 1st gen, (had a '83 before my '99) I'll have to spend some time in a extra cab before I order my new truck.
  • All the of Sonoma Owners are probably buying Chevy since it's the EXACT same vehicle. Either that or they think that their truck sucks and they switched to Ford.
  • xena1axena1a Posts: 286
    Not exactly a rave review. A disgruntled Sonoma/S10 owner, perhaps?
  • xena1axena1a Posts: 286
    Just discovered that ogreenc is a dedicated Ranger owner who does not care for his mother's S10...
  • kylep2kylep2 Posts: 2
    Well, I wrote about 2 months ago about my new 4 cyl. 5 spd Sonoma and here I sit waiting for an engine--I hope this GMC ownership gets better than this. If I bought this at Wal-Mart, atleast I could've returned it! The engine started making a tapping noise at about 2400 rpm--went to have it checked and the sound seemed to be coming from the cam/lifter area. Today makes two weeks w/o the truck, the engine is on backorder--does this mean that this is a high usage item--I hope the hell not. Should I have gone for the FORD?? Who knows!
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Bought new 4cyl auto a/c std cab.At 70 mph gets 25 mpg at 55 to 60 mph gets 29 mpg.Have to modulate a/c even at 90F,must use one size for all models.At 11K no problems to speak of,great truck.I also installed cruise an tach out of my old truck.Another happy Sonoma owner.
  • jpan1jpan1 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 Sonoma Highrider and I am impressed with the power. Living in Oregon there are plenty of Mountains and Hills and there is no hesitation from the 4.3 liter V6. The automatic with overdrive helps a little or alot. My review is that this truck can compete with any 4x4 on the rod and hold it's own.
  • I have a 2000 Sonoma with the 4 cyl engine. After two weeks of driving, I noticed a tapping sound from the engine esp. when cold starting. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. I took it to another dealer and they too said it was normal. It has now been three months later and getting colder outside, and the darn thing sounds like a diesel engine when you first drive it in the morning. The engine knocks and tapps like it has bad lifters. I took it back for a 4th time to my dealer and let it sit overnight. The next day, we both drove the truck and they finally said that it does sound like something is wrong. They have had the truck for 3 days now and are still waiting to hear from GMC as to what to do about it. Has anyone else had engine problems? I traded in a 1999 s-10 4cyl (the same engine) and it made absolutely no engine noises. I also have a loud hissing sound coming from the intake manifold that is so loud that I must turn on the radio to mask the sound (dealer also says that this is normal)!
  • Hey kylep2, drop me an email. I'd like to discuss the engine problems with you.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    I noticed a TSB for 2000 sonoma,mismachined crankshafts on 4 cyl engines.None for c/s on 1999.Looks like they have a problem.Found it at the NHTSA site.Good luck guys.
  • Joe,
    I checked the NHTSA site and all they mentioned was the 6 cyl engine.
    Follow up: Well the GMC dealer called me back and said to come and pick up the truck. They decided after all that the noises coming from my truck are suddenly normal. I feel this is there answer to not have to deal with a lemon or a potential buyback. Now I noticed that the valves clatter with the engine under a light load. I'm using mid grade fuel. I took it to the dealer and they said that they are not sure the noise is coming from the engine. WHAT CRAP! They are going to call the area service person and see if they want to come in. I can't even trade the thing in because the first person to drive it will hear the noise, plus I would hate to stick someone else with a lemon.
This discussion has been closed.