Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Brake Problems

Comments

• I purchased this car in late March, and it had only had one owner -- a late-middle aged couple. There was about 62,000 miles on it and I bought the extended warranty and will probably be paying it off for ages. I did buy it from a dealership, though.

During the initial checkup for the used-car inspection, they failed to fix the clicking in the steering wheel. It was something I'd asked about upon purchasing the car. Turns out it is listed in things that "should be repaired but don't have to be repaired" -- I can't think of what the list is called. But the dealership is paying for it. A month after I bought the car, the A/C went out and would only work on high. I was furious, so the dealership paid for that too. Then my check engine light came on last month and, luckily, it was just an emissions fix, and it's covered.

But now, my brake light is dinging off and on all the time. Mostly when I turn right. Any clue why?

Most importantly though -- when I'm sitting idle at a stoplight or something and the A/C is running, there's this rumbling underneath the car. It sounds like it's coming from the front, but unfortunately it's not the kind of thing I can tell the dealership to fix becuase frankly ... it happens maybe once, twice a week and is completely random.

Does anyone else have this problem ...? :confuse:
  • I had this problem, easy one.... but nonethe less a stupid problem to have.... you need brake fluid...
  • dlkdlk Posts: 8
    Wondering if any of you that responded to #80 still have your Sebrings....and do they still make the same crunching, grinding noises in the front end when braking and turning? What was the remedy? Any other problems caused by the definitely present but nonrepairable problem (even though my dealer keeps telling me it's normal for the car). Tried the steering fluid replacement suggestion; did not work. Mine now has 33,700 miles and am debating whether to keep it or move on since the 3 yr./36000 is about up. Suggestions - other than if I keep it, get an extended warranty?
  • My 05 Sebring started doing that about a month ago at 13K miles. The dealer discovered that my front shock towers are loose and need re-riveted. He got the new rivets in, but, so far, can't get the special tool needed from Chrysler to install them. Will post again if the dealer actually manages to fix the thing.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
    The dealer replaced the struts on both rt & lt front. New stabilizer links, control arms, extra lube..Didn't make a difference. 35000 miles...getting concerned because the 3 yr/36000 is close. Got a price from the dealer on extended warranty. They only recommend a Chrysler warranty because so many others have gone belly-up and they have been "stuck" (now they know how I feel). I could use the money they want for a warranty to put a downpayment on another car......
  • I purchased a used 2002 Chrysler Sebring Lxi model about three months ago. It now has about 70,000 miles on it. I have not had any major problems (yet), but I have noticed that there was a grinding noise coming from my right tire while turning to the left. I had new brakes installed this weekend and the noise is no longer there. My question is was the noise coming from the brakes or is this something that I should still get checked out anyway? Also when I drive over a speed bump and the back end goes over it, there is a squeaking noise coming from the rear end of my car (sounds like the shocks may be bad - not sure). Also if one person sits in the back of my car (not heavy) it sits really low to the ground. The car already sits low anyway, but just wondering if that is something that I should get looked at. After getting new brakes installed, they are now making a grinding noise - will take car back to dealership to see what the problem is with that.
  • OK, another problem...was on a trip yesterday and the R/F caliper froze up, dragging the brakes. Limped into a local brake joint, where they found the caliper piston frozen. Seems they come stock with a composite piston. Replacements have a metal piston that takes care of the problem. Trouble is, i was in Charlotte, NC and no one in 50 miles had the caliper. Rather than camp out all weekend, which I cannot do, the brake place lent me a hose clamp to stop hydraulic pressure to the piston, and did not charge me a cent. (Value Brakes if you ever get there). Limped the car home 300 miles with 3 wheel braking, but no problems. Tried to get a new caliper and the same problem exists in my area, no one has it, and it takes 2 days to get one. Anybody else experience this? Car has 114,000 miles so figure it's normal wear n tear.
  • I have owned a 1997 Sebring for three years. Up to now, I've had no real complaints. However, several weeks ago my Sebring started squeaking during turns. This problem has gotten worse recently, progressing to a high-pitched whining that seems to come from the tires/axles at all times - although it generally doesn't start until the car has been running for a few minutes and seems to start when the car turns. The squeaking goes away when the brakes are applied, but immediately resumes when I take my foot off of the brakes.

Adding/changing power steering fluid has been suggested to me. I'm not sure what fluid to use, though. :sick:
  • I own a 1999 Sebring LSI and this past weekend I've starting experiencing the same squeaking noises that seems to becoming from the steering wheel whenever I make a turn. I took my car in yesterday to have it inspected and they were unable to determine where the squeaking was coming from. At first they thought it was within the supension system or the tires but after further investigation that could not find anything wrong. They decide to lubricate the struts, ball joints and when I picked the car up yesterday evening the noise was gone. I went to start my car this morning and the same problem is back. I see in your article that it was suggested that you change/add power steering fluid. Has it worked? Please advise.
  • have Checked your Brakes?
  • i have a 2000 sebring convertible. when i get to exactly 50 mph i get a sound like when a brake drum is being resurfaced. when i slow down it goes away. it doesn't do this all the time . when i go to the dealer natually it doesn't do it. the brakes are fine and i see no scourching
    any ideas
  • Did you evet get a fix or answer to the problem. Have you replace the brake pads recently or when you last replaced them did you get the ones that have a procelan (hope I spelled that correctly) material? I replaced my wifes brakes and just a couple of months later they began to screech every time we applied the brakes. I tried using brake parts cleaner, reseating the brake pads and not until I was replacing the brakes on my Ford, that I over heard the guy at my local autoZone tell a customer who like me was going to buy the cheaper priced pads, "Any other pads will start to squeek after just a few weeks, if they are not the ones made with procelan".
    this may help.
  • i also have a 2000 sebring and have a similar noise when i reach 50 mph but goes away when i slow down. it will go away but as i'm driving around 50 it comes back. i've look at all the brakes and see no scourching. the dealer says it's brake dust. this thing is also driving me crazy. when i take it to the dealer it doesn't do it. i notice it's mainly in the spring and fall.
    The dealership service dept. assures me the brakes are fine and feels that the issue is suspension/steering related that only occurs when braking and turning. I now have 37,500 miles. Sound is no worse, and no better after many attempts on their part to repair. I have additional postings you can review.
  • Hello,

Sorry to ask this as im sure its been asked before!I did a quick search but couldnt find the answer.

I have a 99 JXI con with 81k on it.

Ive had new rotors and pads up front and the rear drums checked and adjusted. The brakes just seem no good, Ive herd the rumers that there is a brake problem. What is it and what can be done?

Thank you so much for your help.
  • Does anyone have the same problem as me, have 2000 sebring coupe,
    i get vibrations throughtout the whole car. i have replace the tire and wheels and rotors
    and brakes still the same problems. cant get the vibrations to stop. anyone have a clue to stop this madness. vibration is really bad-steering wheel :confuse:
  • I have the same problem. 2001 Convertible Limited first 50k not one problem. Recently got new tires, brakes and have had vibrations etc. Going on 6 times to 2 different places to fix and no solution yet. Also now have grating sound in front left brake after it heats up. I am in need of the same help.
  • I have a 2002 Chrysler and when I first bought it in 2003 it was smooth sailing but after a few months I get the vibrations too! It's really scary and annoying! :( :( :(
  • eisojeisoj Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Jxi Limited that has been doing the same thing for the past few months. At first, I thought it was the new tires I put on a while back, because the sound at first sounded like it was sort of a rubber squeak. Had my tire dealer and my mechanic check it. Nope, not the tires. Still have the squeak. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
  • imp60imp60 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Sebring Convertible. The vibration at 50 mph was terrible. We changed rotors cv joints and balanced the tires. Nothing helped. We changed the tires even though they were new and now until you reach 30 mph it feels as if you are running over a wash board.. I am wondering if the struts would help???
    Anyone have any suggestions???
  • I would definately suspect the shocks.
  • hi i own a 2002 sebring conv ,i have had rear rattling brakes since 20k and chrysler would not cover..its a bad clip that holds the pads on,but i have to replace the brakes completely..i have had many problems with front end also..rick
  • I OWN A 200 LXI CONV,FROM DAY ONE A HEARD A SQUEAK IN THE FRONT END .AFTER NUMERIOUS TIMES THEY FINALLY REPPLACED THE FRONT END.THEN REPLACED TIERODS AGAIN,THIS YEAR I HAD TO REPLACE DRIVERS TIEROD AT MY OWN COST.ALSO THE REAR PASS BREAK HAS RATTLED SINCE 20K .ITS A BAD CLIP AND I HAVE TO PAY FOR A WHOLE NEW BRAKE JOB BECAUSE WARRANTY WONT COVER.MY CAR OVER HEATED ONCE,KNOWONE KNOWS WHY.MY HEATER SWITCH BROKE,THEY FIXED..MY SEAT HEATERS ARE BOTH BROKE NOT A WARRANTY FIX,REAR DEFOG BROKE NO WARRANTY,AND I ACTUALLY HAVE RUST THEY WILL NOT COVER UNDER WARRANTY BECAUSE ITS NOT A HOLE!!!!! I WAX AND GARAGE THIS CAR EVERY DAY FOR WORK AND HOME..I HAVE HAD IT AND WILL GO BACK TO MITSUBISHI MY LAST CARS PREVIOUSLY FOR 10 YRS NO PROBLEMS..SEND ME A MESSAGE ID LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU ALL..THANKS :lemon:
  • jmr76jmr76 Posts: 1
    I currently own a 04 sebring coupe and need to get my front rotors turned. My question is how do you remove them? I've done many brake jobs but these seem to be a little tricky. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    JMR
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,592
    A 97 Sebring Coupe LXi V-6/auto with 55k on it. Anything I should look for? I did notice the car shakes badly on braking, but I'm not sure if its a warped rotor or rust on the rotors. Other than that it seems fine.

The car has been sitting for 2 1/2 years, it went off the road and hit a tree in 2003, I bought it about a week ago. I had to replace some suspension, but very minor stuff wrong with it. It started right up when we went to pick it up and drove itself up onto the trailer.

Don't know too much about these cars, but its fun to drive. Its a one owner car.
  • tylerb1tylerb1 Posts: 1
    My 2003 sebring has had 2 sets of back brakes..... and i've read in numerous places they are hard on brakes.
  • I have read that the brakes may be under sized. May need to try a performance rotor
  • I have a 99 JXI with 68k on it. In the frigid winter we are having (Chicago) the brake lights have come on and stayed on. Not the dash warning light that I've seen in previous posts, but the actual brake lights. I've topped the fluid off and still the same. Any thoughts? THanks, DJ
  • I own a 1995 chrysler sebring. I put new brakes on in around september, i do drive it to work and etc. Now it has been vibrating for the last probably 3 months or so. Also, i have noticed i have a oil leak now. Can i fix the oil leak, because i am tired of putting oil in my car every couple of days or so. And the vibration is kinda worrying me too.
  • deameondeameon Posts: 2
    The brakes on the sebring actually start to tighten up during driving, slowly putting them on. You see this in the back alot and alot of people will hear grinding or feel abit of a tug. It also kills the pads very quickly. Also the heat from them alost being on all the time you drive, it makes the rotars warp. This gives masive amounts of vibration during breaking, and has even cause my friends car to feel like its being shaken side to side as he drives.

As for chrsysls take on it. They know about it, yet wont fix it. Nor will they warrenty any part thats installed.(Almost never)

Chrysler/Dodge has the most Warrenty Claim/Deny rating among every car company in the world. There a whole 70% lower then the second last company... GO DODGE GO :)