Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Climate Control Problems

124»

Comments

• I have a 1996 Sebring conv. And the blower controller will only work is I put pressure on the knob when selecting a speed if I let go of it it shuts off,how would I replace the controller unit. :mad:
  • I had that problem and found out in the engine compartment either in the front or back part of the engine there is a bleeder valve on the radiator lines, the same kind thats in the brake calipers, sounds like you system is air bound so you need to open up the bleeder and get the air out of the system......hope this helps....
  • cycle50cycle50 Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    I replaced the heater core on a 2000 Sebring Conv. Hours were approx. 10 hrs. for a 'DYI'. I had another car to use so I took my time. Wasn't too bad but had a Chiltons manual to help guide me. If you are used to working on cars and can take time it isn't too bad a job. I also did the heater core in my 1994 T&C Van which was quite the job. That was more like a week job - had to strip down the entire interior.
    edited January 2013
    I had the same problem on a 2000 Sebring Conv. I replaced the entire control unit - heat/blower/ac knob unit. Bought a replacement unit at a salvage yard for $20. Took me about 2 hrs. including pulling the part from the salvage yard. I think others had paid $350 for a new replacement unit from Chrysler. Also had the resistor problem along with the fan unit. Replace two resistors and finally the blower fan before replacing the resistor for the third time. Overall I have ~150K miles on this 2000. While I have done some repairs - also the heater core, it has been a good car for 10 years+
    edited January 2013
    Might want to check out replacing the fan unit at the same time. I replaced two resistors and then finally the fan unit along with the 3rd resistor. (2000 Sebring Conv.)
  • robmexrobmex Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    I have a 2001 sebring. The a/c and fan work but not the heat,rear defrost, and the air directional knob.When I turn on the a/c the air comes out strong but then settles down a lil.Is this normal?Nothing happends when I turn on heat ,rear def or directional air knob.Can or should I take it apart and fix the control switch first or do I need to buy new one? Can it be the resistor or something else? Thanks !!!
  • zephonzephon Posts: 9
    We had the car in the shop and got the air flow direction door fixed on my wife's 2002 Sebring so that's ok. But there are still issues with the climate control. When she's driving at faster speeds, the AC (or heat, when needed) seems to work fine, putting out good cold (or warm, if heating) air. But when she's driving at slower speeds such as in city traffic or stopped at signal lights, the air coming out when using AC doesn't feel cool at all, and when using the heater, it doesn't feel warm. Should engine rpm affect the climate control output? It doesn't seem to in other vehicles.

Also, and this may be related or not, when she parks and turns the car off, the coolant often boils into the reserve reservoir and out an overflow tube. Does this indicate a faulty thermostat? We did have that replaced but it still happens. The wife says this has been going on since we bought the car.

Trying to get these issues fixed has been a thorn in my wife's side since none of the local garages seem to be successful at it, and it costs a bunch each time we take it in.
  • Was wondering if you could offer a little guidance on how to find/access it. the fan works in my 04 sebring convertible, but not the a/c. Just had it checked for $75 & they said it was full.
    If your fan works,it must not be the resistor.First check panel control switch then thermostat.I had problems with mine.Bought a used one junk yard changed thermostat.Like new.
  • danylldanyll Posts: 1
    Hi. I think my a/c has a poltergiest! It blows cold air from the front panel venr, then all by itself, it starts blowing thru the defrost vents. .. then moves to the floor vents. .. switches to warm air. ..then back to cold air. ..then back to the front panel vents. ... etc. .. anyone else? ??? I would love some feedback... Thank you. ..

Its a 2007 sebring convertible
    Take out the control panel switch and disconnect and connect if that doesn't do it then sounds like you need a new control panel switch
  • bpheifferbpheiffer Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sebring LXI with the 3.0 engine. The compressor will only run in fan position 1. The fan doesn't run while in that position. As soon as you move the blower switch to any higher speed position the fan runs, the ac light goes off, and the compressor shuts off. The compressor doesn't run in defrost either. Anybody have any ideas??? Thanks!!
  • I have a 2004 base model convertible 110,000 miles. My air conditioning blows cold only when it wants to, but the defroster works ok. Some days the AC works no problem, sometimes it won't blow cold at all, but if I switch to the defroster, that blows cold ok. Any suggestions on what the issue may be?
  • I am having the same/similar problem. Heat will be blowing out the vents, then you notice it is blowing cold outdoor air. I used a temp gauge in the vent to verify the A/C was not coming on. It also, doesn't matter how I adjust the Temperature, Blower/Fan, Floor/Dash control dials (they are all working correctly). I have had this problem about 2 years. Was told then by a Ford Mechanic it was a door and the dash would have to be removed to a cost of around $600.

They replaced the cabin air filter...said that might work...it was dirty....we will see. Kinda getting worried the mechanic at the dealership doesn't know what he is doing & is going to run my bill up......HELP!!
  • Well, I have the classic "fan only works on high" scenario (in my 04 Sebring; 2.7 v6) and am just waiting on a new resistor. At the the same time, whatever controls the direction of the fan seems to be malfunctioning. For example, if I set it to blow on both upper and lower vents, it comes out the defroster. Is this tied to the resistor as well or is there another problem I need to take care of?

I also have bits of the spongy insulation coming out of my upper vents. Related?
  • The problem is on a 2003 Sebring LXi, 3.0 liter, 2 door coupe. With the air flow in defrost or heat, hot air only goes to the passenger side of the windshield or floor. The drivers side gets cold air. My mechanic is starting to look at it but is stumped so far. He did say when the air is on recirc hot air comes out both sides to the windshield and floor. He's talking about having to take the dash apart. I've read through all the other questions and this seems to be the first for this problem. Any suggestions?
  • @caf50 said: Re: blower motor noise / vibration at speed 3 & 4. Same issue on a 2006 Sebring, remove insulation under passenger side dash. Remove 3 screws that hold up the blower motor & lower motor. Motor had several cherry seeds stuck in the fins, causing big vibration in dash at higher fan speeds. Remove seeds & reassemble; all was fine. The AC is separate issue.

• I had the same problem. Mine was the vent insulation stuck in the squeal cage part of the fan. I think more fell, the noise is back but not as loud. Its just time consuming and a pain in the back to get to it all.

• How about this one. I never had good heat. Now I have none. The temp on the dash has always been low. I even had a shop tell me that was too low. It's been to 3 different dealers. Never said a thing to me about it. Now I want heat. I went to the local shop. Was told about $800 to fix it. I know if I tap the am/fm on the radio, It shuts off like lost power. The directional that controls the dash lights flickers when I touch it of try to turn on the interior lights. The rear defogger never worked. Is there an underlying problem I should be searching for? I will be getting a new top soon because of the seal on the rear window has now let go. Please give me some thing to look for or try. Thankx for reading most of my complaints on my 2001 LXi 2.7l

• jgaulonjgaulon Posts: 1

@danyll said: Hi. I think my a/c has a poltergiest! It blows cold air from the front panel venr, then all by itself, it starts blowing thru the defrost vents. .. then moves to the floor vents. .. switches to warm air. ..then back to cold air. ..then back to the front panel vents. ... etc. .. anyone else? ??? I would love some feedback... Thank you. ..

Its a 2007 sebring convertible

I have the same issue, so did you get it fixed??

• lizluvlizluv Posts: 1
    Hi! I just purchased a 2000 Sebring conv. jxi and the climate control unit appears to have been kicked in. The fan knob just turns and defrost buttons don't work. The whole unit is a bit askew, tilted inwards at the top. It's possible that I may only need to replace the controls and not the module. Any suggestions on where to purchase the parts and a detailed "how-to" (preferably with diagrams)? Also the correct part name or verbiage would be great, I am having trouble when searching for "climate control unit or climate control module".
  • vaguy5vaguy5 Posts: 1
    The heater on my 2007 Sebring convertible only works when I turn the temp control to max, then return it to the desired temp. When it reaches that temp, it stops heating and I have to repeat the process. The dealer said he does not have a clue how to fix it. Car has 29,000 miles
124»